• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey

Yes flying is not the nicest is it. I went on a flight to Mallorca six or so years ago and asked for an extension for the seat belt. As I turned around I heard the steward say to a colleague 'that one needs an elephant belt'. Mortified but also very angry I fumed for the whole flight but didn't say anything as I felt so embarrassed and didn't want to draw any more attention to myself. On another holiday to Croatia we had seats next to the emergency exit both outward bound and homeward. Outward was fine, I had lost some weight and I didn't need an extension. Problem was that I think I may have overdone the food/alcohol on hols so coming back I sat down and couldn't plug my belt in. I asked for an extension and much to my horror was told that I would have to move seat as only 'able bodied' people could sit near the emergency exit as I may block the exit!!! Talk about wanting to crawl away. It was a full flight so they had to ask someone else to change places with me. I fly again (all being well) just over four weeks after surgery to Cyprus so a) fingers crossed I am well enough to travel; b) I can do the damn seat belt up without an extension and without hurting myself; c) I am all healed so I can partake in the villas pool!

Where does your step mum live? Is that one of your goals, to be able to fly out for a reunion? That is a great motivator.
SJ xx
She lives north of Inverness, but cannot do the 12 hours by train, so normally fly to Inverness and then it is only a couple of hours by bus. Yes I had a similar thing flying with lap belts, only they didn't have one so was going to be offloaded till next day. Eventually got the Captain involved and was allowed to fly using the crew seat as they fasten differently and because he was running out of time. Laugh about it now but not then.

She lives north of Inverness, but cannot do the 12 hours by train, so normally fly to Inverness and then it is only a couple of hours by bus. Yes I had a similar thing flying with lap belts, only they didn't have one so was going to be offloaded till next day. Eventually got the Captain involved and was allowed to fly using the crew seat as they fasten differently and because he was running out of time. Laugh about it now but not then.

I haven't been to Scotland for a few year. When the kids were small we went up practically every year and satyed in the Wester Ross- Alchiltibuie, Ullapool, Melon Udrigle and then we tried Braemar, Oban, Sannar, Mull and Banchory. I love Scotland but I must admit until I have gone through Glen Coe and the big hills surround you I don't quite feel we have arrived. We are booked to go up there next year for a larger family gathering - back to the Gruinard Bay area. Such a long way but so beautiful and restful - bar the damn midges!!

SJ xx

Well it has now been 2 weeks since ending the milk diet and have to admit have not been handling food very well have put on 4kg over the last 2 weeks. Enough is enough and I am back to writing everything down and been more focused on what I am eating. Need to increase my exercise, so are back swimming from tomorrow will have to build up gradually as it is over 4 years since i was last swimming.

Happier Note :
Phone L&D this morning to find out what was happening to my MDT appointment, since it had been 2 weeks and no letter. Have managed to get a new appointment on 17th May with Dr Halsam rather than Dr Rehman. Don't know anything more about it other than the date.
Not getting stressed over that will help too.

Hi, Ian. If you are like me you will be dissapointed in yourself. Enough said. I don't know if your NHS Team told you about an app that could help your situation. Mine recommended MyFitnessPal and I have to say it helped me through my journey and reaching my ultimate goal of compliance to get my Surgery and change my life forever.
Obviously you need a Smartphone or a computer. The app is supported by the vast majority of food producers, including the calorie values. If the food you buy is not found you are able to scan the barcode on the food and it will add it to its library of foods. So there is no reason why you cannot see the effects of what you eat.
You can set your own goals too. So they say normally a male needs 2500 calories a day. So my MDT Team advised me to set it my goal at 2000 calories a day but I set it at 1500. Psychologically I thought that if went over on the odd occasion I was still under the 2000.
Another great thing about my dietician was there was no Diet in the traditional sense as they don't work. So she wasn't concerned as long as you didn't exceed your max calories in my case 2000. So she would say if you like fish, Chips, peas bread and butter. Then have it, it may be 1000 calories that's ok it's your choice, as long as you don't exceed the 2000 in total. Mars bar 500 calories have it again but don't go over. And that went for anything. But you had to record it in the app to give you the understanding of your choices, so you were being educated at the same time. In the comfort if your own home "Brilliant"
Ian believe me when I tell you it worked, I lost weight and could still eat the things I liked. So by recording my food intake daily I could be on the ball. I did change some of my choices over time as you begin to get the picture and the penny drops at just what you are doing to yourself. The app also predicts where your weight will be 6 weeks ahead if you kept making the same / similar choices. Very motivating.
So if you are able to try this, anything you can't follow or need help with just ask and I will get back to you. This at the end of the day is about you, it's your journey. But we just may be able to help along the way, it's not easy but the rewards are enormous, I can't begin to explain. I will be updating my own journey again on Monday if you are still following me.
Take Care
Kind Regards
NigelG

It has been a few weeks since I posted, so here goes:
Finished Milk Diet (8th March) and put on Food (900 cals + 500 mls Semi Skimmed). Struggled with portion size and not sticking to the calories, result weight goes on.
Despite, talking to myself and friends and writing things down, I was struggling.

Weight 8/3 - 154.1 Kg , Weight 15/3 - 155.9 Kg , Weight 22/3 - 159.0 kg :mad:, Weight 29/3 - 155.2 kg, Weight 4/4 - 154.2 kg

Don't ask me why but while on my market stall on Sunday (maybe it was because it was a warm sunny day), my brain decided it was time to get back with the program and lose some weight.
Monday (10/4) - 156.0 Kg:mad:
Wednesday (12/4) - 153.3 Kg :)

So what is different from last week to this. Well firstly managing to keep to approx 900 cals, mainly eating proteins and vegatables and little or no carbohydrates. Secondly I am back swimming only 30 lengths (750 m), at present, but will increase that slowly as some of my muscles haven't been exercised in a very long time.

So hopefully there should be a decent loss when I am back at L&D beginning of May.
Ian

Finished Milk Diet (8th March) and put on Food (900 cals + 500 mls Semi Skimmed). Struggled with portion size and not sticking to the calories, result weight goes on.
Despite, talking to myself and friends and writing things down, I was struggling.

Weight 8/3 - 154.1 Kg , Weight 15/3 - 155.9 Kg , Weight 22/3 - 159.0 kg :mad:, Weight 29/3 - 155.2 kg, Weight 4/4 - 154.2 kg

Don't ask me why but while on my market stall on Sunday (maybe it was because it was a warm sunny day), my brain decided it was time to get back with the program and lose some weight.

So what is different from last week to this. Well firstly managing to keep to approx 900 cals, mainly eating proteins and vegatables and little or no carbohydrates. Secondly I am back swimming only 30 lengths (750 m), at present, but will increase that slowly as some of my muscles haven't been exercised in a very long time.

So hopefully there should be a decent loss when I am back at L&D beginning of May.
Ian
Oh my goodness ian, well done. You have just inspired me to get a grip. X

Ian

Good on you Ian. Goodness knows why that little switch gets flicked in our brains but I wish we all knew where it was and how to trigger it. Then we could all solve our own problems. I really really struggled with the 900 calories as the foods I can eat are not the low calorie ones. I need moist slider foods.
The milk diet is now well and truly lodged in my brain. I have only 12 days to go to surgery so Tesco are going to need to stock less milk in our supermarket. Along with the other 3 family members we got through 52 pints of the white stuff in a week. I still think a cow in the back garden would have been cheaper.

SJ xx

Hi Folks,
A long time seems to have passed since I updated my log. Just had what I think is my last official appointment with the Dietician and she was very supportive and pleased. .
Progress to date
31 Aug 2016 - 175 kg ( Doctors)
12 Dec 2016 - 171.3 kg (1st Appointment at L&D and the offical weigh in)
03 Feb 2017 - 166.7 kg (2nd Appointment official 4.6kg loss)
08 March 2017 - 157.4Kg (End of Milk Diet)
05 May 2017 - 153.0 Kg

So hospital GP appointment in a couple of weeks and then hopefully will be approved for surgery and then 6-8 months wait for surgery. So have to be strong and not put any weight back on. On the exercise side I am now swimming 60 lengths (1500m) , 3 times a week.
Ian

Hi Folks,
A long time seems to have passed since I updated my log. Just had what I think is my last official appointment with the Dietician and she was very supportive and pleased. .
Progress to date
31 Aug 2016 - 175 kg ( Doctors)
12 Dec 2016 - 171.3 kg (1st Appointment at L&D and the offical weigh in)
03 Feb 2017 - 166.7 kg (2nd Appointment official 4.6kg loss)
08 March 2017 - 157.4Kg (End of Milk Diet)
05 May 2017 - 153.0 Kg

So hospital GP appointment in a couple of weeks and then hopefully will be approved for surgery and then 6-8 months wait for surgery. So have to be strong and not put any weight back on. On the exercise side I am now swimming 60 lengths (1500m) , 3 times a week.
Ian
That's great Ian, really pleased for you, my year assessment is up in June, I've had my GP hospital appointment and he's happy for me to go forward for assessment by the team so hopefully IF I am accepted I'll be right behind you well done on the swimming that's an amazing distance to swim in a week

Hi @Bling Babe
I am envious of you been able to cycle, mine is relegated to the garage until I have lost a lot of weight. I had a serious medical issue a few years ago and was advised by my consultant not to cycle until I was in the normal weight range. I love cycling as there are plenty of fairly flat paths near the river and having scenery to see made cycling pleasurable. Better than plodding up and down 25m of titled swimming pool.

Do you have another dietician appointment in June ?

Aw bless you I guess there are pros and cons, but looking forward yours will be out of the relegation zone before long

Just a quick update. Had my hospital GP appointment on Wednesday and he was quite happy, so he was the last of the team to see me. So it is now a wait for an appointment for group meeting with the MDT (Multidisciplinary) team, assuming my local NHS approve the funding. Hate waiting for letters, not knowing when my next appointment will be.

Just a quick update. Had my hospital GP appointment on Wednesday and he was quite happy, so he was the last of the team to see me. So it is now a wait for an appointment for group meeting with the MDT (Multidisciplinary) team, assuming my local NHS approve the funding. Hate waiting for letters, not knowing when my next appointment will be.
I agree the waiting is the worst part, you are getting there though x

Fingers crossed it will all happen soon for you. The waiting is the worst :(

Dear Ian
Its good news to be through to the next hoop but I know the waiting is a real pain. Its the indecision and limbo that I think adds stress to the whole process. I was told by my surgeon that once you get to the bariatric hospital team (tier 4) your surgery willgo ahead and funding is agreed. So onward and downward (if you know what I mean!).

SJ xx

Hi Ian

I am just starting the tier 3 process and was interested to hear about your journey. Thankfully, I don't think I have to do a milk diet. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get some good news soon

Dot

Hi,
Seems ages since I posted. Turned 57 last Sunday, really boring day as I was at market selling my baking. So celebrated on Tuesday instead with homemade chocloate cake at work and dinner with friends in the evening.
So got a present from L & D today , my next appointment. Multidisciplinary appointment (27th June) starts at 4pm, psychology @5pm and dietitican @ 6pm.
Better lose the 2 kg I put on since my last visit.

Hi,
Seems ages since I posted. Turned 57 last Sunday, really boring day as I was at market selling my baking. So celebrated on Tuesday instead with homemade chocloate cake at work and dinner with friends in the evening.
So got a present from L & D today , my next appointment. Multidisciplinary appointment (27th June) starts at 4pm, psychology @5pm and dietitican @ 6pm.
Good luck. I went to Luton today and got my op date 19 September. Worth the wait, Mr Jain and his team were charming

Excellent news Ian I was there too and I've entered their 4 yippee waiting for my MDT, can I ask how long after the end of you 6 month assessment will it be when you go to your MDT ?

Hi,

Happy belated birthday Ian and good news on the MDT meeting. Its going to be a late night for you so lets hope they are running to time! How much of the birthday choccy cake did you have then??

I was in clinic yesterday for my 6 week post-op. All okay although I need to do some work in the gym and boost the activity levels. I will also plop myself in the pool most days as I love swimming and did notice after 2 weeks swimming on holiday my back was so much better. I assume other muscles are maybe being exercised which helps the whole posture. hey! what do I know but my mobility is 100% better than this time last year. I had quite forgotten that when I went on hols with my girlfriends last year I was walking about 50 yards max with a stick. What a difference a year makes.

Let is know how it all goes on the 27th.

SJ xx

Hi, @Bling Babe
So my last dietitican appointment was 5th May, and saw GP on 17th May and the letter is dated 14 June , so about 4 weeks for the letter and the appointment is in 2 weeks.
Hope you get yours as quick.
Ian

Back