• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Neen-slimfast milkshake recipe??

Hiya Sweetie

I use a jug blender
About a dozen ice cubes Or more sometimes!!

Choc slimfast powder (2 scoops as per tin instructions)
250ml semi skim milk (adds 30 cals to serving)
I table spoon cocoa powder (12 cals)

Put the milk in add a load of ice to just cover the milk sort of level
Add your slimfast and cocoa (obviously you can add things like coffee granules to vanilla slimfast etc for different variants)
Put ze lid on (hee hee)
Whizzz!!!!

I usually have to switch off and just dislodge any big chunks of ice from the blades once or twice...depends how rough and tough your blender is!!

Drop in ice any further ice cubes while mixing til the consistancy is a bit like macdonalds milkshake/soft ice cream

This makes around 2 pints of thick shake thanks to the ice bulking it out.

All two pints comes to 272 cals when mixed as above and can be thick enough to eat with a spoon depending on the amount of ice

Just near enough to ice cream to trick my naughty streak and bloat me enough that I don't need to eat for the whole evening but could be lovely as a meal replacement in the hot weather!

I used sugar free syrups to add a bit of pizazz to the standard flavours and that way didn't get too bored last time I used them in the Summer xxx
Hope that's helpful

sounds lovely ill keep that in mind im not keen on dark choc does the coco make it taste rich?

ooh yum - this sounds fab x

Hi everybody, I hope you are still awake and here.
If you read my moan, moan, moan thread you will know that I have been having it rough this last week. I don't know what has gone wrong but I was hardly able to drink anything for three days and didn't eat anything at all (I was still only a week and a half post op, I had bypass and gall bladder removed) I was in so much pain in my back and around my middle (sort of the size of a weight lifters belt was where the pain was emanating from all the way round)... anyway, it seems to be passing now and I today tried to have a little bit of pureed pots with a sprinkle of cheese melted into it for protein, I got the pain again but not as bad as it was last week. (last weeks was constant pain for three days where I couldn't lie down or sit down, i could only walk around groaning...... anyway again...... I bought some slim fast shakes today, I love them, do you think it would be ok if I drank one of those for a couple of days instead of eating till my body sorts itself out?
I don't want to stop my operations from healing because I haven't had enough protein etc.
Sorry to ramble but as you can imagine, I'm tired.
Lynne xx
PS I don't want to add anything to them or bulk them up, I just want to get better.

Hi Wizz, I don't know if things would differ for a bypasser, but I think a couple of days on slimfasts wouldn't do you any harm as they have all the nutrients you need. You could drink lots of milky drinks to keep up your protein (I make options hot choc with milk and it's lovely). Have you spoken to your team about the pain? I hope you're on the mend soon xx

Thanks Neen, I've got the strawberry one so might give it a shot later x

Hi Lynne xxx Sounds like you are very sensitive and swollen and I hope very much that a couple more days on liquids would be useful for you. I don't know what the sugar content of complan is like, maybe check and see what other bypassers have used.
I would say some of the protein shake mixes might be worth a go as well
I know Holland and Barrett have some that some people on site use and these would be really good for getting that protein in gently for you xxx
Hope you are also in contact with your provider as well to keep them informed of the trouble you're having.
Take care and hope you feel better very soon xxxxx

Thanks girls x
I didn't try to contact my team because, and I know it sounds silly and lame, but I didn't feel well enough to hold a conversation! I was pacing up and down, my partner was saying, I'm calling the doc and I would say no please dont... just leave me be. I did try to ring them yesterday but all the numbers were diverted because it is weekend and I didn't want to ring the emergency one.
I cant understand why it happened. Its been horrible and I am glad to read that nobody else is having this problem. Its the pits.
Neen I am sorry to hijack your thread, I was really asking about slimfast, honestly lol. I am going to have a go at one of the café late ones, i really do like them and I think I might just keep having a sip or two and then put it back in the fridge and go back to it an hour later and sip again, see if i can get through a whole one.
Lynne x

No trouble at all Lynne, I am concerned about you though!!
Also skimmed milk powder to extra fortify your existing milky drinks might be good too.
Can you email your provider?
It is important to get your fluids and nutrients down hun x
If you keep sipping slowly all the time and don't be afraid to call the emergency line as this is very important , specially in the hotter weather.
Also I suspect being anxious about it is making the problem worse for you as the cortisol hormone released when we are stressed kind of plumps all the soft internal tissue up (including the stomach area)
Sip cool drinks and try and relax a bit.
Can you go sit in the sun and have a lounge for a while?

You are such a caring person neen, I knew you would help.
I have been strolling round the garden yesterday trying to disperse wind and ease the pain and inflammation, so today I am going to go and pick up bits of sticks and do a bit of bending and stretching (gentle) to hopefully move stuff around more too.
I will ring the hosp tomorrow and explain what has been happening.
Lynne x

I'm glad you're going to seek some reassurance. It's a bit unknown territory when we have these ops...I remember feeling much worse than I expected to.
If you can keep drinking (I know, more waterlogged feeling) and try to take things steady, hopefully the team can advise you tomorrow and put your mind at rest.

Ice lollys might be good as well, like the just juice ones from del monte.

I'm a bit worried about suggesting things because you have a different plumbing arrangement internally than me and I don't want you to dump etc but just ordinary ice cold milk sipped all day is worth a go also x

During the night last night I got really excited. I was going to make myself a slush puppy. I got my no sugar added orange, pineapple and mango juice all at the ready and went to get the ice.... guess what. ALL GONE lol, my lovely partner Peter had had it all.
Well it was a hot day and he was doing all the hard work in the garden.
I will get some more ice in today though.
Anyway, take care, I'm off to sip a slimfast café late.
Thanks again, and I will let you know what the hosp say in my moan, moan, moan thread.
Lynne x

I'm back to hijack your post again briefly neen, just to say that I am 'nearly normal' now lol. Feeling loads better and starting to be able to get on with normal everyday stuff instead of walking around doubled up like an old hag retching and cuddling a hot water bottle.
Thanks everybody for all the help and advice.
Lynne x

Hi neen
Thanks for posting your milkshake recipe, it sounds delicious and something I am going to try tomorrow. x

Back