• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie Sleever from London

Hi everyone. I had my Sleeve surgery on 1st March and am very new to this forum. So far I've found it really useful and very friendly. Since my surgery, I feel I've lost control of my body and bodily functions. I'm experiencing new pains, sensations and ailments each new day and it's weird not knowing what's going on inside!!! The good thing is that I've lost 11lbs since my Op which is making to easier to handle and I think I'm recovering well at the moment. If doesn't feel like I've lost any weight whereas before, losing 11lbs, I could always feel it!! Any tips and advice is most welcome. Looking forward to this forum a lot!! X

Hi Rinata,
I had my operation just before you on 28th Feb and also lost 11pounds. I do not see this loss as success yet, because it was a by product of recovery period (a very good one!).
My scars have healed well outside but am still a bit sore inside. It is probably normal for us to be a little swollen on the tummy still.

Initially I was taking tiny sips but now find I can have normal gulps. Tummy a bit funny for the last two days, but just now I had half a lot of liberte yogurt and had burning sensation in tummy. I had a whole lot of Danio yesterday with no problem!

I guess it will take a while to get used to our new tummy.

Hang on there.

Good luck with your recovery! Just take it steady and your stomach will tell you if it's not happy!! The main thing is to get your fluids in at this early stage!

Hi Tules, thanks for your reply. It's really nice to have someone who's had their surgery date so close to mine!! I kept feeling nervous anytime something new in my body was happening after my Op but I'm glad that so many people have been going through the same thing as me. My Surgeon has recommended that it should be 3 weeks of fluids but I would love to move onto the puréed stage just to introduce other textures and flavours apart from protein shakes and soup!!! What did your team advise? Thanks and all the best with your journey too! X

I am also in London and had operation at Roding Spire.
My team suggested two weeks liquids, then move onto soft food (baby food consistency) for two week. I am also on liquid stage like you but will start soft food on Sunday. I have been making my own soups and sometimes consistency was more soft food than liquid really. Likely I like soup but do miss salads, fruit, bread and cheese (brain hunger and habit). I have had lots of Danio yogurt too.
If you feel ready to.move onto more thicker soups maybe, ask your surgeon. Be s t to follow their suggestion.
Yeah, protein shakes. Don't like them either. Can't wait to eat eggs so that I take less powder.
Has your wounds healed? Tummy started to feel better.
My wounds healed but tummy still sore.

Just popped up to wish you a very warm welcome!

Thanks Tules. My surgeon believes that the liquid diet should be for 3 weeks , yet all the other companies seem to say 2 weeks. He also doesn't believe in the pre op diet like all the other surgeons. I can't wait to get on the puréed stage to introduce new textures and flavours. As a compromise, I might follow the liquid diet for 2.5 weeks as a happy medium.
I've bought some danio too.. Did you blend the yogurts or have them as they are as they are pretty thick. My scars have healed really well... Just need to sort out the diarrhoea mystery. Also bought some almond milk in case I have become lactose intolerant!!! Can't wait for my 8 week goalpost so I can start eating "normally". I'd love to hear how your progressing on a regular basis as your op was only a day before mine! Good luck!! X

Hi Rinita, I had the same surgeon as you. Really try and stick to the plan, it's vital for your recovery. And in my experience, the fluid stage was actually much easier than purée.

Your whole stomach is new and you have to treat it with kid gloves to start with.

Hi Rinata,
My wounds healed well however still a bit sore in the tummy.

I feel weaker than normal, which is probably the effect of low calorie intake. Otherwise getting there.
Danio I had it as it is. Asked my doctor who said it will not stretch my tummy because I had a whole pot in one go one time!

How is your head hunger? I still feel the hunger, all in the head since our hunger hormones are removed, we won't feel hunger for a while yet.

I just have to start and get rid of this habitual head hunger
!

Hi Bear.
Thanks for your reply. I'll carry on the liquid diet for the full 3 weeks. I guess it's not the end of the world as its only a week extra. I guess I am running out of ideas of what other liquids I can have or can stomach (pardon the pun lol). I just need to be a bit more creative!! Thanks!!

Hi Tules,

Glad to hear your scars have healed nicely too. My stomach is only sore now only in the mornings when I've had no painkillers or if I've stretched to reach for something.

Luckily I haven't had the head hunger yet (hopefully not at all)!! I don't feel weaker either as I'm resting for 2 hours, then walk, then rest and have a nap. So far I don't feel I'm missing my calorie intake as I'd rather get my stomach healed as soon as possible rather than having that full feeling and high calorie intake that I've been used to for so many decades!!
My problem at family mealtimes is my nose hunger!!! Ha ha ha.... The amazing smells at dinner time are torture!!! ?

Has your Dr said how you can manage your head hunger? Are you drinking enough?

Are you resting enough Tules? How's your sleep? I'm really taking care not to overdo any activities at the moment, and maybe with so much rest, perhaps that's why I haven't felt weak yet. Also with all the weird stuff going on in my body has taken the focus away from feeling weak!! Lol x

I'm off to have my 1st danio yoghurt instead of my boring protein shake.... I'm so excited not to be having a protein shake for a change!!

Hope you start feeling much better soon. Let me know how you're getting on. X

Hi Rinata,
I was advised by the nurse to be mobile, so have been out most days walking and do housework too! I do rest but going back to work tomorrow so need not get used to delicious afternoon naps!
I was given 2 weeks liquid so will have first scrambled egg today - although intend to carry on with soup at some meals too. Have to get my head around 30min between meal/water rule (got used to constant sipping!).

I can't manage full 60gram protein everyday. Bad. Got some frozen fruit to make smoothie today. A met him egg has only 5grams of protein, darn...

Have you started seeing the change in your face - my face is showing the first signs of the weight loss, think about 12pounds now.

I had 3 weeks liquid then three purée then moved on to soft food before real food. Take it slowly let your stomach heal believe me it is for the best. You will know if you push it as you will either be sick or it will feel like you have swollowed lead!!
Good luck with it!!

Thanks Tules!!!
That's a really good idea with the cucumber and yoghurt. You've given me an idea to try and make a liquid tzatziki. I usually prefer savoury too but didn't want to OD on soups!!!

I've decided to follow my surgeon's plan of 3 weeks of liquids so I need to really get creative!! . Sipping I've got down to a tee but I too have to remember the 30 minute eating & drinking rule!! I think I'm not following the 60g protein rule either purely because of the portion size.

How was it having proper food like scrambled egg? Hopefully you can introduce more protein by having chicken, fish or pulses now on puréed stage.

You're so right. My face too looks thinner too. Just had my weekly weigh-in and I've lost a stone in 2 weeks... That is record breaking for me!!!!

I'm quite mobile but probably not as much as you so need to up my game with more walks.

I feel sorry for you going to go back to work so soon. That will be hard but you sound fit and well recovered and mentally strong to go back. Just remember not to overdo it as you have to remind yourself you've had a MAJOR op!!

Thanks again for your support and tips. Keep me updated how you're getting on and how you're getting on juggling going to work too!

Keep up the good work!! X

Hi Kar,

You'll be pleased to know that I am going to follow your recommendation and follow the liquid stage for the full 3 weeks. You're so right as I don't want to undo the good that has already been done by rushing into the next stage.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!! ?

How are you getting on with your progress? Hope it's going really well! X

Hi Rinata,

I was told not to worry about the 30min rule at Liquid stage. This becomes an issue only when one starts the more solid food.
Had scrambled eggs (2) with some parmesan. My eyes were, once again, bigger than my stomach, now even more true.
Managed 1,5 eggs - even that was too much I thinkm. Have to start eating slower and smaller.
Now sipping horrid protein powder mixed with strawberr/banana and milk.

I am luckily doing desk job but one hour tube journey... Hope to get a seat for at least half way.

One stone is fantastic! Look forward to photos xx

Rinata that's great stick with it! I've been very successful thanks, Ive lost 175% of my excess weight and now have a bmi of 19 so I love my sleeve!
Follow your instructions and you will get there!! Good luck x

Tules, that's great news that you have been able to go to proper food, albeit a lot of it!! :)

I'm only doing the 30 minute rule now so I'll be in good practise for the next stage. It's funny how you have to retrain yourself on so many things now. It's like being a child again!!

I don't envy you going on the tube and so glad I don't have to think about commuting for a while!! Just be careful when the trains are packed!!

Keep up the good work and look forward to more tips and photos too!! X

Back