• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie Sleever from London

Oh my word Kar!!! That is sooo awesome!!! How long did that take you?? That's such an incredible achievement. You must send me some before and after pics!!

I'm just being really impatient and want to fast forward a few months!!!

Hope you're not losing any more weight?!!

Thanks again!! Xx

I certainly will do Kar!!

I'm hoping that having the sleeve will be the best thing I've ever done and joining this forum is the 2nd best thing I've done. I feel so motivated by reading other people's journeys and advice.

Thanks again xx

Hi, I had the gastric sleeve on Saturday, I am 4 days post op and have lost 9lbs - can't believe it!! I am doing ok, not much pain but the dvt stockings are driving me nuts....how long did everyone keep them on for?

Hi KatD,

Congratulations and well done on your surgery and your weight loss so far!! I know what you mean about the DVT tights. It's driving me crazy too as they feel like they are cutting into my skin now. I've been told by my medical team that they have to be worn for 4 weeks after the op!! :-(

I also have another 2-3 weeks of stomach injections left to take and I'm getting to the stage where it's becoming harder to take as my stomach is turning hard and bruised!!!

I have to keep reminding myself that all this is temporary and it's for my own good and for a better recovery.... Think I'm just at the frustrated and impatient stage!!

Don't worry about the frustrations at the moment and look at the bigger picture!!

Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!! X

Thanks Rinata, it's funny how different providers say different things. They have said to me to keep the stockings on for 2 weeks and I am only on injections for 7 days, so I've only got 3 more days left. I know what you mean about the bruising, I hate injections!! It will all be worth it in the end! Good luck on your journey too, the website is great for help and support :) xx

You're so right KatD. It's only since joining this forum that I've realised just how much difference each provider makes. Perhaps I have more weight to lose than you and maybe why you don't need as many injections?? I want to lose about 7 stone!!

I had a different op about 10 years ago and didn't rest at all as my mum was also hospitalised at the same time. Instead of taking 2-3 weeks to recover, it set me back 2.5 months so I've learnt my lesson now and am taking it much easier this time and doing everything they're asking me to do!!

It's onwards and upwards from here ( about from the weight as that is definitely downwards lol)

All the best

Hi Kat, welcome on board. Yes I have the dreaded socks too and was told to wear them for weeks. Luckily it's not summer!
Great weight loss, well done.

Thanks Tules :) Just by coincidence my nurse phoned today to check on me and I mentioned the stockings, she said aim for 2 weeks but if I take them off after 1 week it should be fine. X

We have a similar amount of weight to loose Rinata, I'm looking for 7 stone too , I lost 1 1/2 stone with slimming world pre op, so will see how I get on with the sleeve. I think you are right about taking it easy post op, slow and steady wins the race :) x

That's an amazing pre-op weight loss Kat!! Being an ex slimming worlder, I thought I could do it at home after a while. How wrong was I when I not only put on the weight I'd lost.. And then some!! Sipping my boring protein shakes and soups, how I long to have some SW food right now!!!

Are you going to keep going to the classes? I was contemplating whether or not to start SW again but would feel a bit of a cheat after gone through surgery!!

Keep up the good work x

I know bring back SW food! I'm not sure what to do tbh, I've messaged my leader and said I've had an operation and that I'm on a liquid only diet but not mentioned it was WLS. I will feel a fraud going to group if I win star of the week etc but think it will be good to go each week to keep me on track. I think i will come clean and see if she lets me stay for class! X

Hi Rinata I had my sleeve op on 5th Feb, would love to talk to somebody else who is new to the sleeve. I actually went in for a bypass but because of complications my surgeon changed the op toi a sleeve, which I had not researched at all, if anything I thought it was an extra large band that maybe went over the whole stomach. needless to say "wrong" lol. So have now been doing research and trying to find someone with the same op to talk to. I am at 6weeks today so still on soft food, but did 3 weeks on liquids first, I find milk great but hate it hot or warm so drink a lot of iced coffee with sugar free syrups mmmm lovely.

Hi Dragonsfairy,

That must've been hard to research one thing and have something completely different done!! When I looked into surgery, I was expecting to have the band fitted and was advised that I should go for the sleeve instead.
The sleeve seems to be a much more popular choice these days as it has less restrictions than the bypass, such as not needing to take extra vitamins for life. The weight loss from recent research has been equivalent to that of the bypass but the op is less invasive. From the 2 surgeons I have been speaking to, they both said that they are nudging more people towards a sleeve and the fact that your surgeon decided against that for your own safety is great.

I'm 3 weeks in from my sleeve but willing to help in any way I can.... Feel free to ask away!

How are you finding life now? How's your weight loss?

TBH, I'm getting bored of the liquid stage and can't wait for Sunday so I can move to puréed!! I've lost a stone in the first 2 weeks but don't feel as if I've lost anymore in this 3rd week. Sunday is my weigh in day!!

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted x

Well done Rinata on your stone loss that's fab :) So jealous you can start on purée soon!

Hi dragonfly I'm a sleever too 6 days post op! I can imagine it was a massive shock when you came around after the op. The sleeve does appear to be a really popular choice at the moment and at least you don't have to take the extra medication! Good luck on your journey :) xx

Thanks Kat!

Not sure how I lost a stone as it doesn't feel like it.
Yep, I really am soooo excited about starting puréed food on Sunday. It's like having a Birthday!!! Can't believe a little thing like puréed food is the highlight and excitement of my post op life!!!! :)

Did your team advise you to have have fluids for 2 weeks or 3? If it's 2 then don't worry, you won't have to wait for long until you're on the next phase!!!

How are you getting on in these first few days?? Hope it's going well... It's true, the pain does get better!!

Have a good weekend x

Yeah I've got one more week on liquids :( Just going to have a talk with myself and get on with it!! Although I do feel irritable when the hubby and kids are eating yummy food and goodies!! I've been up and about a lot more over the last couple of days and feeling good. No pain from my tummy and looking forward to tomorrow.......no more injections and I'm binning the stockings!! Woohoo :)
You'll be able to pass on lots of lovely purée tips and recommendations.!
Have a lovely weekend. Xx

Don't worry Kat... Funnily enough the week of liquids will go quickly... Just try not to think about it!!!
I made a really nice milkshake with milk, marvel powder (as my protein shake), cherry danio, blueberry danio and no added sugar vimto cordial and blitz.... It was lush... That's what got me through breakfast every morning this last week!!!
I know what you mean about being irritable about family dinner times.. My nose seems to have food envy first before my brain or stomach... The amazing smells are torture!!
You are so lucky that you've been told to ditch the tights and injections!!! I still have two more weeks. I can tolerate the tights I guess if I don't think about it but I can't believe I have another 2 weeks of injections. It's becoming harder and harder to take those damn things... My stomach already looks like a huge ball of pepperoni with the amount of bruises and injection scars!!! Ha ha ha.
I think my surgeon is just being extra cautious and seems to be giving me more stuff to take... I'm going to be rattling soon with the amount of drugs in me... I hope I haven't gone from food addict to drug addict now!!! :) :).

Have a great weekend.... At least that's another week down!! Xx

Aw I really feel for you over the injections, but you have to follow your surgeons advice. I'm sure the time will pass quicker, especially now you can start puréed food.
Thanks for the milkshake recipe is sounds lovely, going to get the hubby sent to the shops to collect the necessary!!
Xx

Back