• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Tummy Tuck Diary (Pics Included)

Thanks Linda, Lisa and Lou (the 3 L's :D ) for the well wishes.
xx

Just popping in to say good luck for Tuesday - will be thinking of you. Take care xxx

Thanks Jax! :) Only 1 day now and got butterflies in my tummy. I have to be at the hospital for 7am tomorrow and it's an hour's drive so hopefully I can get an early night in.
xx

Poppy i'm so excited for you, it's here already, before i know it, it'll be my turn x OMG x

Just think your belly will never look like that again from 2moro :D

Wish you loads of luck on your new belly and speedy recovery and look forward to hearing from you soon.

xx TC xx

I know! Look at your ticker now! It doesn't seem 5 minutes since mine said that. It'll fly by and before you know we'll both have flat tums! :D
Thanks for the message hun. I know I keep saying this but I really can't wait to come back on and give you an update so fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. ;)
xx

All the best for tomorrow hun. Hopefully this time next year I will have had mine done too. Take care.x

Thanks girls! I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!
xx

good luck !!!

liz xx

Hey you, I've popped in every day just to see if someone has heard how you got on but so far nothing. Hope you're fine and back on your feet soon. Take care :) xxx

HI Poppypoo, i've been thinkin about you the last few days. Hope all is well. Hope your not suffering too much. Bet it feels weird having a flat tum again.... I think we're all waiting in anticipation to hear all about it.

Thinking of you Poppy and hoping you make a speedy recovery!:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Love Mini xxx

I'm back!!! :D

Thanks for the kind messages of support everyone.

I just wrote a really long and detailed reply about my op but have lost it! :(

I haven't got the energy to do it all again so I will try a shorter one and fill you all in a bit more later...

I was discharged yesterday with my drains still in. I'm still hobbling around and my posture is bent forward (like a little old lady) but I'm not in too much pain and my blood pressure and everything else is fine. They said I could stay longer if I wanted and wait until the drains come out but as lovely as the hospital is, I knew I'd get a better night's sleep at home in my own bed.

I live an hour from Cambridge so to save me a 2 hour round trip to get the drains removed, they are going to send a district nurse to my house to do it. I have to empty the drains at midnight every night and measure the combined amount of blood/fluid being drawn away from my wound to stop it collecting. It needs to be below 30ml and last night there was 70ml. Shouldn't be long now. Can't wait to get rid of them because they are a bit of a pain and also because there is a higher chance of infection the longer they are kept in.

My wound is healing nicely. The bit they cut away only weighed one and a half pounds which suprised me but I guess there was more skin than fat there. They sorted my upper abs out too by weaving them up with a few stitches. That bit has probably been more sore than the wound actually. The wound isn't anywhere near as painful as a c-section. The worst part for me was the effect of the general anaesthetic and morphine. I have always had that problem. It makes me vomit and they have to give me anti-nausea drugs. I also can't stand the grogginess that comes with it.

I stopped administering my morphine just before I left the recovery room after theatre. They kept offering me all sorts of pain relief and asking me if I needed the morphine but I just stuck to my usual Ibuprofen and Diclofenac because the pain was bearable.

I'm still bed-ridden, getting up only really to use the loo and stretch the legs a bit here and there. I have to walk slowly because my tummy is so tight and I feel very delicate. Around the scar and my upper abs. I have to think carefully about how to get up out of bed, sit back down etc.

Other than that, I feel well. My appetite is good. Not as big as before but a healthy appetite and I'm craving healthy food (maybe this will help me shift that extra few pounds I expected to lose in skin that I didn't)!!!

I'm wearing an abdominal support garment. I got a little supply of them from the hospital. I'm not meant to walk around without it on so I only take it off when I'm in the shower.

The surgeon asked me to shower when I was one day post op and have showered every morning since. It makes a difference to how you feel. I was also straightening my hair and putting makeup on at 2 days post op to make myself feel slightly more human. :)

I felt weird about my tummy when I first saw it without the dressings. Not because of the size of the scar because I knew it would be huge. I just think it's hard to appreciate what it's going to look like when it's healed and the swelling and bruising go down. The anaesthetic also makes you feel a wee bit down in the dumps. (I'm due mt TOTM too which doesn't help)!

My belly button looks strange - probably because of bruising - I've never had a bruised belly button! Also probably because after living with an apron of excess skin for 10 years I've forgotten what it feels like to look down at a normal belly button! Never the less, every day I see an improvement. They had to make another incision from the main incision up to my belly button too by the way which they warned they might, but that's fine by me! :D

My hubby took some photos on his phone but I won't be able to get them until later. I'll upload them as soon as I can. I can't wait to show ya'll!!!

It really sunk in when I'd had a shower on day 2 and got rid of the baggy hospital gown to put my own PJs on. I was perched on the edge of the bed without the abdo-binder corset thing on and my top looked so much different on me. I finally realised that my horrible tummy was no more and although bruised, sore and swollen underneath the top, it already looked a million times better than before. :)

Anyway girls, thanks again for all the well wishes and your kind thoughts. I'll be back on later with a photo album update.

Lots of Love
PoppyPoo
xxxxxxxxx

oh that's great news - I've been wondering how you got on and it's fab to hear from you.

were you in for three night then? I've only been booked in for 2 and they haven't mentioned having to have drains in when i go home so great to be prepared in case it happens to me

really interesting to hear that you felt a bit down - I'll prepare myself for that - in a weird way I'm trying to convince myself at the mo that there will be very little difference in my tummy and that way anything i see is a bonus but secretly I'm really hoping I get the same feeling as you when I sit there in my PJ's as it's a lot of money not to see and feel a result.

did you have lipo as well as the tt? They are going to lipo some of the stuborn fat above my waist although they haven't mentioned stitching the abs - did you know they were going to do this?

did they tell you how much the skin weighted or are you judging it by how much you lost on the scales post op?

sorry that's a load of questions - don't feel you have to answer them all now - just rest up and when you are feeling better would be great to hear from you

I so admire you girls for your determination to get your tummys sorted out. It will be one of the best things you have ever done, I've seen piccys on another weight loss forum of before and after, and they are amazing. I wish you all the luck in the world. xx

Oh I'm dying to reply Lou! Thanks for the quick reply to my update. I'm bored as hell in bed so the company is very much appreciated. :) Thanks.

Yes I was in for 3 nights. They predicted it would probably be this because I'm only in my early 30s and in good health.

They did warn me about the drains at the first consultancy and the pre-op assessment so no suprise there. They said I would definitely have them but couldn't predict whether I'd be going home with them in or not.

The drains come in the form of two pipes stitched into two small incisions in my skin, below the main incision. They have these little bag things attached to them that draw the blood and fluid out by vaccum.

They are to stop fluid and blood collecting. I assume it is procedure to have them. You might want to ask your surgeon about it.

I think the feeling down bit was caused by the general anaesthetic which is pretty common whatever op you've had. I've been under general 3 other times before the TT and felt depressed and nauseous with all of them. Be prepared for that and try and remind yourself if it happens that it will soon pass.

It's also good to remind yourself that the TT itself is just the first step to your improved tummy. Prepare yourself that you won't see the end result straight away. You should see a definite improvement though.

I think I felt a bit Frakenstein Monster-ish at first because the scar is so big but I was prepared for that and can put that down to feeling down because of the anaesthetic because even though I'm hobbling and all bound up, I've seen my flat tummy and it's already such a massive improvement.

The disfigurement has been removed and I feel so relieved. I'm sure you will get the same feeling. As long as you don't go in expecting the tummy of a 20 year old fitness freak I reckon you'll be over the moon. ;) A little bit of expectation can't hurt though. You're having a major op and paying a lot of money so you should expect a good result. Just be realistic about it and you'll be fine.

I didn't get lipo because the NHS don't do that. My surgeon did inform me at the first consultation that he couldn't do anything for my 'muffin tops'. My words not his! Lol.

But even though I have a bit of a problem area there, it's nowhere near in the same league as my stretched tummy was (wow - it feels so strange to refer to it in past tense)! So I think I can work on that area a bit with some exercise and diet. I don't know if some is down to sag so we'll have to see.

Yes they did mention about my abs before the op. They examined my belly and said they thought I would benefit from it but they wouldn't know for sure until they had made the incision and had a look under there. I woke up feeling tender in my upper abs so I knew they had done it and then they confirmed they had when they came to see me on the ward. They referred to it as rectiplication. I think some refer to it as abdominal wall contouring. All they do is give you a few stitches to weave the upper abs back together where they slacken after childbirth so it's worth asking your surgeon about it.

The weight of the skin and fat removed was their measurment of it itself when removed. I hoped for more at first but not bothered now. I really do need to stop being so scale-crazy!
xx

Thanks Muppet! Come back and have a look when I get my post op healing process pics up. :)
xx

wow that's really helpful - thanks

i had an op 2 months ago and was lucky not to have any problems with depression or feeling sick anestethic so fingers crossed it'll be the same this time. That was to have a lump removed in my neck (not as dramatic as it sounds) - in fact it was that op and how quickly i recovered that made me decide to get my butt in gear and book the tt as I had no probs at all.

I had drains for that op as well that was the only reason I had to stay in for 2 days whilst the blood drained - the drains coming out isn't painful at all - it's just a weird sucking sensation and the anticipation of it is far worse that than the reality.

Next weekend I'll be getting the house ready for me coming home post op - i've bought all 6 series of sex in the city (39.99 - bargain)and plan on spending a week doing nothing post op but watching that as I've never seen it.

That's great advise not to expect everything to look as it will straight after the op - I had a swollen face after the op on my neck and it's taken weeks to go down and can still be a little tender now - as long as i remember that swelling, stiffness and pain will all go away I'll be fine. Also the scar looks fab even after just 8 weeks (it's on my neck so I can't hide it) for the first few weeks i always wore my hair down but now I'll stick it into a pony tail and happily go anywhere so we should hang onto that if we think the scar doesn't look good from our tt

I read somewhere that protein helps recover post op so make sure your partner is cooking you lots of protein foods ;-)

Am so glad it all went well for you! And home already - a lot quicker than I thought! Relieved that you've found the pain bearable - having had a C-section with my my 7lb twins I think the mobility, pain and time off work post op is my main concern. Do they cut through the tummy muscles at all? Would be interested to hear how much time you need off work post op.

As you mention you're bored might as well stay and chat a bit longer! You may well regret it though LOL. Will let you into a little secret ... I must confess Tuesday was my birthday and I woke up and thought OMG she's having her TT today!!! Then realised it was my birthday LOL. Guess that sums up how much I think I'm gonna need one. Tbh I know I'm gonna need one as after having the twins I lost weight but had a huge overhang which made me so depressed that I decided I'd rather be big all over than have this awful overhang to tuck in and move out of the way so I could get close to OH :eek: Tis only 10 years later now that my knees and hips are giving me pain and the fact that I cant keep up with my wonderful daughters. My poor level of fitness took the shine off of our holiday this year. I now know I need to do something.

Have been reading (but not posting on) other threads in this section. Have made appt with GP this week to have BMI and weight recorded as some threads have said some PCT's fund IF you reduce your BMI by 10 and maintain for a year. Here's hoping!!! Having alreading reduced my BMI from 39 to 35 - need to get a wiggle on at getting it recorded!

Anyways, you're probably bored to tears now and typing the above has actually been quite therapeutic for me and certainly brought tears to my eyes.

So glad it went well and I look forward to seeing your pics and catching up with the rest of your journey. Take care and dont over-do it :) xxx

Back