• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Second fill today

I am currently sat at Dolan Park waiting to see the dietician and hopefully getting my second fill. I seem to have no restriction at the moment and am eating near enough the same portion sizes as before but just trying to be a bit careful so as not to put on. Tbh, I thought that once I had been banded and had my first fill I would be well away but it seems I am taking the slow route to my goal. Fingers crossed for a boost to the weight loss after this fill.

Sharon x

Oh do keep me posted as I have my forst fill on the 28th and like you I can manage any portion size atm so having to be really
Strict with myself xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

All done. Now have 6.2 ml in a 10ml band. My dietician Pam was lovely and suggested trying pasta bake etc. 2 days if liquids rather than 1 this time.

All done. Now have 6.2 ml in a 10ml band. My dietician Pam was lovely and suggested trying pasta bake etc. 2 days if liquids rather than 1 this time.

Glad you had another fill and it went swimmingly. Just goes to show how dieticians vary from place to place, my one told me to stay away from , bread, pasta, rice etc and to eat protein follow by veggies and then if room carbs............The Mind Boggles xxx Hope those pounds start coming off. xxx

I do find this varying advice confusing. I was told the same as Mazza and Julie. I have tried rice a few times but no pasta or bread. I tend to stay away from carbs as much as I can just because they tend to have a funny effect on me.

Hope you start seeing some results Chopster.

tranquil x

Strange the different advice. I told her I thought I had to stay away from pasta and she said I should be ok by now (2.5 months on). I had a different nurse this time for my fill and she said I had a lovely port! Seems to be easy to find as both fills have been quick and easy.

Hey Chopster,
Let us know how you get on with your second fill. I had my first one done last week and feel exactly the same as you described. Have booked my second fill for 2 weeks time.

Hey Chopster, I saw Pam as well after my first fill she was lovely. I also found I have hardly any restriction after my first fill (5ml in a 10ml). I also thought the weight would just fall of me but obviously it doesnt. Sometimes I see others profiles and they hav lost so much weight in such a short space of time so I am also mega confused. Got to wait 4 weeks for second fill.

Hi Chopster

Was she saying you should eat it or you could if you wanted to? Sorry if it sounds like I'm questioning you, its just that those of us that have been told to avoid pasta, rice and bread have been told so because of the difficulties eating them can cause. When someone has really good restriction either of them can 'stick' and cause discomfort or swell and eventually come back up.

The other reason is that processed carbohydrate (or concentrated carbohydrate) foods are a major cause of weight gain, obesity, insulin resistance and many other diet related diseases. Many people pre op (me me me me :cry:) consumed an excessive amount of carbohydrates exceeding their storage capacity for glycogen, when this happens, the sugar resulting from carbohydrate digestion is converted to body fat. I have 'had' to say never again because I know eating them would result in a weight gain.

Im not suggesting for a minute you will be eating pasta morning noon and night but it really baffles me that your dietician would say its ok or rather you should be ok to eat it.

But as always you must follow your dieticians advice ;) xxxx

I've just been looking on my recommended foods list that the Hospital Group gave me over two years ago and it does say you can eat pasta on the 'normal foods' section if you can tolerate it. I personally don't have it that often though unless its in a ready bought salad and even then I only pick at it. I can't tolerate bread either and it also says you can eat wholerain or rye bread too. Strange all this conflicting advice isn't it?

It is indeed Judy, its just seems bizarre to say to eat something if you can tolerate it though. Almost like try it if it makes you sick then dont have it anymore. :confused:

Its not helpful for the newbies either when they are trying to get their heads around a good band diet when there is conflicting advice :mad:

It works much better for me to know I cant eat it or bread or rice ever again. I dont want to risk it to be honest, the swelling theory seems feasible to me so Im happy with that. If you left cooked pasta in water it does continue to swell afterall.

I have never been sick from food and I dont want to be either :D

Hi Mazza,

I told her I was struggling for ideas for dinner and she suggested pasta bake or any pasta with a sauce. I said I thought we weren't allowed but she said that rule only applied to the newly banded

Hi Chopster

It is difficult sometimes getting a variety of meals isnt it?

How are you managing with this fill so far? xx

Just to stick my oar in....my dietition said pasta was fine too. Also in my return to slender book, there are pasta recipes.
I have pasta about once a fortnight, when I'm feeling too lazy to cook properly! And it goes down okay. But it does fill me up really quickly.
I don't have any problems with rice at all, I guess it's all trial and error. Sometimes foods get really stuck one time and not another.
I avoid bread though, I definitly can't tolerate that! Bread is one of those foods that I used to really over do pre-op, so I don't miss it.

Well I had my second fill today so liquids only today and food tomorrow. I agree, why is all so different, is a band not just a band for everyone!! And the fill amounts, I had 2ml the first time and he has done the same today so that is only 4ml. I hope it works as I will have to start paying for any more, so that will be the incentive I need to be good x

Return to Slender is a recipie book written by a bypasser and Carol, the author would be the first person to confirm its an informative guide only.

Caroles website also has the following advice:

"Post-op gastric bypass, sleeve and band patients always need to eat protein at every meal and to focus on eating this element of the dish first"

Ive no doubt you were told it was ok to eat pasta I just find it odd that you were! Until Chopster posted this thread I had not heard of any banders being advised it was ok to eat it.

I just think its not a good choice for a bander to eat (based on my providers advice and loads and loads of research). A meal based on pasta or indeed rice is far too carb heavy. We are trying to re educate ourselves and shift the weight afterall not continue to eat what we did before but in smaller portions. Carbs like pasta and white rice break down quickly during digestion and turn to sugar, not good :confused:

Oh well I lost all the weight I wanted to the way I was advised to eat - protein, veg and limit carbs. I had very few stalls and have never been sick. On occasion since my last fill (not before and I'm over 2 years out) food has stuck but thats because I ate it too quickly!

I am passionate about helping my fellow banders and I wish you all well but I wont be commenting further on this subject (you might be pleased to hear) :D

Mazza said:
Hi Chopster

It is difficult sometimes getting a variety of meals isnt it?

How are you managing with this fill so far? xx

Still on liquids until tomorrow, then softs for a day so should find out at the weekend.

hi guys had my 2nd fill last thursday and have loads of restriction., pasta definelty wodnt go down, goodluck chops x

Back