• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Setting yourself targets

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Just wondering how people set their weight loss targets?

When I met my surgeon, (self funded) weighing 20st 6lb he asked what weight I would like to achieve. I said 13 stone, and that was it as far as targets being set. Was bypassed on 26 July 2013 and now weigh just under 13stone.

No idea what sort of target to set myself, but feel I need to as hunger is returning now and I feel scared I'm going to regain if I don't have anything to aim for.

Were your targets set by your team or yourself? Should I just make 12 stone my next target?

Advice welcome, thank you!

Jenny196

Just wondering how people set their weight loss targets?

When I met my surgeon, (self funded) weighing 20st 6lb he asked what weight I would like to achieve. I said 13 stone, and that was it as far as targets being set. Was bypassed on 26 July 2013 and now weigh just under 13stone.

No idea what sort of target to set myself, but feel I need to as hunger is returning now and I feel scared I'm going to regain if I don't have anything to aim for.

Were your targets set by your team or yourself? Should I just make 12 stone my next target?

Advice welcome, thank you!

Hi Carrieb,

I was told by my surgeon to expect to lose around a third of my body weight, my target is to be at a healthy weight. Hunger will kick back in as you pouch stretches slightly, but hopefully are now able to make good food choices. By all means have a goal- mine is to be 9st.7 (preop I was 14.9) as I'm only 5ft 2" so this would put me at a healthy weight and a size12. Remember that the surgery is just a tool, not a 'fix all'. But I do want to say how amazing you have done in just 6 months, you must be very proud of your achievement and such an inspiration to others! Congratulations hun! X

Neisie

I've set my target weight at 77 kilos which is a BMI of 23.5. I want to be in the normal weight range and not on the very top verging on overweight, so 77 kilos it is.

Lincs Lass

I have never set myself any target but 22 Feb is the anniversary of my op and I want to lose 3 more lb by then as that will take my BMI to below 30

Smallerme

I'm finding small targets are keeping me motivated. So getting under the next stone marker, losing 7lb, getting into the next BMI category, reaching 50lb etc etc. They move up with each one I achieve but not so much that it takes months to reach it. I'm at a stage where I want a tangible thrill from it so try do small ones. It could be that I set I'd like to lose a lb by the next week.

I can't focus on the big picture yet as it feels too big iykwim. If now you've achieved what you set out you feel you can go further maybe set in in small amounts and see how you feel when you get there?

Neisie

I'm finding small targets are keeping me motivated. So getting under the next stone marker, losing 7lb, getting into the next BMI category, reaching 50lb etc etc. They move up with each one I achieve but not so much that it takes months to reach it. I'm at a stage where I want a tangible thrill from it so try do small ones. It could be that I set I'd like to lose a lb by the next week. I can't focus on the big picture yet as it feels too big iykwim. If now you've achieved what you set out you feel you can go further maybe set in in small amounts and see how you feel when you get there?
I totally agree on the small targets! I work in pounds (because I'm American) and kilos (because that's how they do it here) and stones (bc of this forum and bc my hubby is a Brit). So in a few lbs I'll be at a 20 kilo loss and under 200lbs, then a tiny bit later I'll be in the 13's and I'll have lost 3 stones. Celebrating little milestones with different weight systems (plus BMI points and % lost) always keeps something attainably close. It keeps things exciting!

mad midwife

I set myself a general target at beginning, but every half a stone I loose I put £50 into a separate bank account for my new wardrobe when I get to goal I've got £500.00 so far, want another £200 - so another 2 stone to go x

Butterfly_lady

I set myself small targets I have just reached the 6st loss target the next one is to get into the 15's I don't have an end weight in mind as such, I didn't really want to look at the "big" picture and aim for say a 10st loss as that seemed so unachievable, so I'm doing it bit by bit and see where I end up :)

Yvessa

I set myself a target just because it sounded good. The. I revised it. And again. Lol. I now just set the next stone down each time. And just keep plodding.

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Interesting replies. I'm looking at my "final" target now. Am currently hovering at 11 stone, thinking of 10st 3lb , which would be total loss of half my starting weight. Even that looks unbelievable still, but as not yet 9 months out it probably is doable. But, I've got this far without targets so do I really need one? Almost feel like I don't want to jinx myself!

borogirl

Hi mine was 12 stone but then went to 11. Am 11.3. Skin getting bad so daren't go lower as really don't want more surgery.
Target is to maintain!