• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smokers: Did you quit before surgery?

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
I was off them four years and back on two years. What worked was a book called the nicotine trick by neil casey but it didn't work a second time. I'm back to square one where I'm trying to quit, lapsing and collapsing. I swear I try to quit probably once a month! Meds aren't an option as champix depressed the heck outta me.

I was told I'd need to have quit at least 6 weeks before surgery and I'd have to do a pre-op diet...seems impossible!:sigh: I realise how important quitting is as it can cause all sorts of complications.

suepat10

I'm a non-smoker but I used to so can sympathise and hope you can manage it x x

starr

very happy post opper
its the hardest thing i ever done in my life,,i smoked all my adult life ,im ashamed to say,even during times i was caring for my loved ones with cancer,and watching them lose their brave fights,i still couldnt give up , i was up to 40 a day last year , and at my lowest,but i spoke to my surgeon and he told me i could only have my op if i stopped smoking , then my daughter got pregnant,and i didnt want to be a smoker when my grandbaby arrived ,and on new years eve i stopped,no patches or medications , i knew i had to , and touch wood ive not had one relapse or been tempted to have one ,,the first 10 days were a nightmare ,,crying ,,angry,sick,i really felt like i was in mourning,as if id lost a friend ,how stupid that sounds,,but true ,so never say never, if i can do it ,anyone can,,do i still want one? hell yes! but i want to live more , and why have this op just to die early from smoke related illness? makes no sence!, but i must add,you can only stop if you really want to,in your own time ,no one elses , x

wizzbang

I used to smoke a lot. I even smoked when I had breast cancer (twice) !!! I always wanted to stop smoking and when I eventually did I did it with the help of nicorette chewing gum. I believe you can get a spray now that you just spray into your mouth when you fancy a smoke.
You don't have to take those tablets that are prone to making people depressed.
Do the right thing..... get help from the stop smoking clinic, get either the chewing gum or the spray and stop smoking today. They won't do your weight loss surgery if you don't stop.
I stopped five years ago.
Lynne x

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I was also told that I had to quit before surgery. I kept stopping and starting but once I was given my surgery date to aim for it became a lot easier. I gave up for 4 weeks by using the inhalator.
Unfortunately I started again when I got home from hospital. Now my intention is to quit again. My main motivation is that the chances of having loose skin are increased if you are a smoker.

Ali_B

I've just done the same quit smoking and on a pre op diet. It is very hard. I'm an emotionally eater /smoker so i had nothing to support me food or fags. I ended up using tablets and the E cigarette. But this is out massive life sytle changes, so trying to go with the flow. Good Luck.

suzie290304

Yes I too am a smoker on 20 a day so hard to give up but have set my quit date for last week in July as I'm off for 2 weeks ( work with my smoking buddy ) so it's alot easier. We got told we have to stop if wanted the operation as people have loads of complications if they smoke. So hopefully this will give me the motivation to stop for good and to get healthier. X x x

liggielass

sally ann
very hard to do, i was 40 a day but stopped 10 years ago i still have the urge to smoke bit only once in a blue moon but i couldnt go back to being a smoker, you will be the same,, be strong xxx

wizzbang

Since I stopped smoking I have saved approx £12,775.00.
That might help you make your decision!!!!!!!!!!

Lynne x

Deets

i stopped about 2 months before hand - the risks frankly scared me into quitting! But i have gone back to smoking :( Like yorkie, i plan on quitting again soon. Good luck! x

MrsSmith

I stopped 4 months ago, but I'm jammy really as could always take it or leave it; would chain smoke if with friends and a glass or two, then not bother at all for a few days! Good luck if you are trying to stop, just take it one day at a time xx

Lilyscent

I was told at my seminar that I would have to stop smoking and continue to lose weight to get the op, I contacted my doc who put me in touch with smoking cessation I have the support of a lovely lady who phones me weekly and I am using patches and a inhaler type thing I am on my 4th day now and I know its hard but the op I want is more important and an incentive to stop smoking.. Good Luck x

JayHobbs

Slowly Shrinking
I was a heavy smoker before my Bypass,
Once I had my date I cut down drastically to only 5-10 a day then 3 weeks before Op I stopped using the patches.

My anethetist (can't spell it) was fantastic and even allowed me to wear my patch during operation and I stayed off the ciggies for a week after I came home.

Sadly I started again about 2 weeks after my Operation, I think it was the boredom of staying at home and recovering.

I am still not up to the amount I was smoking before, But I really do want to stop again.

It isn't easy :-(

Jay

wencho

ive been having problems aswell the last few weeks having the odd 1...im so angry with myself and feel i have let other people down even though i was doing it for me!
i was in limbo and let myself go...i hope i have my head back in the right place to continue as i was before and try and put my mishap behind me!
my surgeon wont op if im a smoker so i have no choice....alot seem to be able to smoke quite close 2 op day...im not sure on his policy for that so i need to make sure im a non smker again....just incase!!!....plus its not worth the added risks it brings with surgery and post op!!!