• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So…it's really happening!

Good Luck! x

Just a little check in ... still in hospital had surgery Sunday morning ... few complications on night time and got worse Monday night so had blood transfusion and have to stay in a little bit longer ... feeling much better 2day so fingers crossed I'm on the mend x

Oh dear me, hope ur better soon hun and home soon too. I hope my op goes as planned. But glad ur on the mend x

Hi all,

Sorry for the few days of no posts.
My surgery went ahead on Sunday as planned. Everything went really well. I came home yesterday and today I am feeling much brighter.

Mrspplus3- I hope you are feeling well enough to go home soon. I thought we might have met on the ward but I didn't realise how big the ward would be. I didn't think people would appreciate me asking them one by one if they were mrspplus3 so I held back!

My brain is a little mashed up with all of the drugs so il just say I hope the rest of you are well and thanks for all of the support from you all x

Vickip99- what opp are you having? You can go home on the second day after surgery if all goes well with a bypass at Sunderland, you are admitted the day prior to surgery though.

Yeah that's what Iv had done x

I am still taking it easy but I'm feeling stronger each day x

Iv finally got round to updating this diary properly!

So...
I went in to Sunderland on Sunday 3rd January. I felt like a terrified small child. I have not been in hospital since childhood and I found the initial experience a bit daunting.

Once I was checked in and prodded for bloods, weighed, measured, and shown around the ward I was left to my own devices.

Tv and reading was my pass time of choice! Tea time...chicken breast and broccoli... and then on to the longest night in history.

The lady in the next bed to me returned from surgery having had the same as I would be and bless her, she looked to be suffering. This terrified the life out of me of course :sigh: I had a last minute worry, was I really doing the right thing...I had coped so well with the LSD could I not continue that myself was my main thought path...I managed to calm myself and pull myself together.

Sleep was difficult so I had a shower at 5am. I am diabetic so I was set up with a drip containing glucose and insulin after my shower and promised sexy surgical stockings and a gown.

I watched tv with so many worries running round my head I could not tell you what I watched. I punctuated this with hailing passing nurses to ask for said socks and gown as time was ticking on and I was due to go to surgery at 11am.

I went to the loo at 10.30 and returned to two strange men moving my bed about... porters... I still did not have a gown or socks, I could not possibly go to theatre now! But with a bit of a comedy sketch with me forcing on the tightest socks ever and the nurse trying to get my drip off, gown on and drip back on, I was ready.

It took me all of my strength to not jump off the bed on the way to the theatres. In my sensible mind I knew this was exactly what I wanted but the fear of surgery did a wonderful job making me absolutely terrified.

So in to the holding room... the anesthetist, knew i was nervous from our chat earlier and he got a lovely med in to me right away and that was all I remember :)

I remember telling the recovery nurse I felt sick each time she asked how i was so she gave me lots of anti sickness drugs and then I woke again back on the ward.

Pain...not to bad
Cold...Very!
Sleepy...very... for the rest of the night.

I went to the loo for a wee once which was not as bad as I was expecting. I remember my visitors being there and I was chatting but can't really remember much of what was said.

The next day saw much pain from wind but barely no pain from the opp. I could move quite well when I was able to be disconnected from my drip and have a walk round this really helped with my wind. A portable drip stand would have been great but alas there was not one.

That night was difficult. A young girl in the ward with me was taken quite ill with a bleed which was scary. I was fine, just could not get comfortable. If you are having surgery at Sunderland take a pillow because they have a serious shortage!

So... I made it through the night to have to eat my breakfast before they would let me go home. I have never been so scared of a quarter of a weetabix! The cup of tea was slightly daunting too. I managed and was given the green light to come home, this made me panic as they were disconnecting my drip with glucose and insulin in... if i could not eat how would i maintain my sugar levels???

Fortunately I seen a diabetes doctor before leaving and with one final dizzy spell, a couple of panicked nurses and a very worried husband I was set free in to the world.

Home was like heaven!

My progress since arriving home has been amazing. Tiredness kicks in from time to time but I can do most things now just five days past surgery without pain, my sugar levels are fab for the moment and I know I made the right decision!

Glad everything was fab sunshine ... I think I no who ur lol I was in bay 4 the last one and when I went to the TV room once I'm sure I recognised you I think we had endoscopy the same day do u have red tattoo on ur arm?
I went for surgery 9am on Sunday ended up crying in the holding bit of the operating room I got a little of panicky.

Don't remember much after just my surgeon Mr jennings came to see me and said he was pleased with everything ... apart from feeling uncomfortable and tired I was ok until the night time.
I started vomiting blood docs were called and the put me on drips and did obs every 30 mins and they gave me morphine at 5am so I could finally sleep.
Mr jennings said it was rare but had seen it before and not to worry they'd keep an eye on me.
Monday night things were worse I vomited so much blood I needed a blood transfusion and had my observations done every 15 mins I didn't sleep that night and cried a lot thought I'd made the wrong decision.
Finally Tuesday I didn't vomit I was told I would pass a lot of blackish blood from the other end which I did ... was feeling much better at this point.
I saw Mr Jennings who was pleased with how things were going and I started food on Wednesday if all was well I could go home Thursday.
Apart from feeling more tired and run down and an uncomfortable tummy things were ok and I was home yesterday.
X

Hi Mrspplus3

I do have a tattoo which has some red in it ☺ Were you the girl that had just the spray for your endoscopy on 16th December? (the same as I had)

Mr Jennings was also my surgeon, he is lovely!

It sounds like you had quite a tough time of it. It is good to hear that you are home at last though. Are you ok now? How are you finding the pure food? I was really scared at first but I am becoming more comfortable with it now I have experimented with quantity really. Im still struggling to get enough liquid in but im trying hard. How are you finding it? x

Hi sunshine100. . Yes I had just the spray I think everyone else were sedated.

I'm loads better now I am home thank u.
The puree diet was a struggle but getting better, now I have fresh food from shopping it's easier ... I'm just finding that once things are blended it doesn't taste the same and trying not to eat the same things.

The fluid intake is soo hard, i drink no added sugar juice but not very strong, I'm trying to change flavour every few hours but I'm certainly not drinking the full amount I should.

The feeling of full is weird I think anyway as I'm not sure if it's the full feeling if that makes sense ... its like learning everything again .. I eat about 5 tablespoons and feel weird so I stop.
I'm eating roughly 5 table spoons 5 times a day.
Does any of this make sense lol?
Xx

Im glad u r both home and well. 2 very different experiences but both with fit and well outcomes x

Hi mrspplus3 how did u find just the spray? Did u struggle with the tube goin down? As im hoping just for the spray? Also how long did it take x

Back