• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The best and worst bits of having a bypass

So far, 11 weeks out:
The WORST BITS:
*the first operation with horrible time in hospital.
*complex life-threatening complications and more major surgery.
*8 days more in hospital and a very slow recuperation.
*taking my family and many loved ones to hell and back, because I could not conquer my eating disorder without major surgery.
*pureed and mushy BORING diet!
*horrible ugly sore scars.

THE BEST BITS:
*loosing almost 3 stones post-op. Feeling almost normal size-wise.
*Watching my clothes and dress sizes drop weekly.
*being able to wear shoes, boots and clothes I've hoped to wear for years but not been able to.
*Enjoying the encouragement and comments from people who can't fail to notice my changing shape.
*being able to walk without back pain (but not yet post-op 2)
* looking forward to holidays, sitting normally in a plane seat, scuba diving.
* looking forward to taking up cycling and walking and ice-skating.
*looking forward ti simple pleasures like house-work and walking the dog!
*having complete control over what food I put in my mouth.
*realising that I will NEVER again be fat, because contrary to many people's experience, my head has ALSO been rewired, and NOTHING tastes as good as slim will feel! :D
*beginning to feel a return of self-esteem.
*never feeling gut-wrenchingly hungry.
*Looking forward to more energy and vitality and feeling beautiful once more.
*and last but not least: the amazing and wonderful friends I've made through this forum!

Well today I am officially 1 WEEK post-op!

Way to early to have any best and worst bits... but, I've got some best bits anyway because its ALL GOOD.

1) Waking up after surgery and realising I was still alive! I survived it! The feeling was overwhelming.

2) This gastric bypass malarky actually seems to work, it does what it "says on the tin", I've not felt hungry, I'm satisfied when I eat (my liquids only)

3) Even 1 week out the weight is coming off, maybe not noticable to the general public lol but my face is thinner my eyes brighter, my skin clearer, I feel energised.

4) I think this is going to work.... OMG OMG OMG, I think I'm gonna be slim.

5) I have hope, this bypass has given me hope.

Beautiful post, I'm almost crying! Thank you! In the midst of all my troubles, I needed to remember that feeling! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

Great to hear from you Zionaka... what a positive report only one week post surgery... brilliant!

I shall check out your diary.

Mijas is a beautiful hillside location... you need a car to get down to the beaches but I've been so many times and keep returning... the Beckhams like it there too apparently... photo's of them relaxing around Mijas last time I was there...

Holiday are certainly something to aim for post surgery and the thought of summer clothes!!!

Heavenly!

Love and hugs xxx

Way to early to have any best and worst bits... but, I've got some best bits anyway because its ALL GOOD.

1) Waking up after surgery and realising I was still alive! I survived it! The feeling was overwhelming.

2) This gastric bypass malarky actually seems to work, it does what it "says on the tin", I've not felt hungry, I'm satisfied when I eat (my liquids only)

3) Even 1 week out the weight is coming off, maybe not noticable to the general public lol but my face is thinner my eyes brighter, my skin clearer, I feel energised.

I completely agree! My main issue wasn't the type of food, but my portions and I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and can clearly feel its worked.

I do still look at naturally slim people and feel envious that I'll never be able to eat a bag of Maltesers, a bowl of kettle chips, a bottle of wine when we have a girlie get together .... but that feeling doesn't last and then I realise how relieved I am that I CAN'T do that any more! That person was soooo unhappy inside, no matter what a smiling joker the outside world saw ;)

My main aim is to take my kids on theme park rides!!!!

Beautiful post, I'm almost crying! Thank you! In the midst of all my troubles, I needed to remember that feeling! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

hugs right back at ya charis

I completely agree! My main issue wasn't the type of food, but my portions and I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and can clearly feel its worked.

I do still look at naturally slim people and feel envious that I'll never be able to eat a bag of Maltesers, a bowl of kettle chips, a bottle of wine when we have a girlie get together .... but that feeling doesn't last and then I realise how relieved I am that I CAN'T do that any more! That person was soooo unhappy inside, no matter what a smiling joker the outside world saw ;)

My main aim is to take my kids on theme park rides!!!!

yes, that is something i have felt this week too.. i cant eat like that anymore... and it's ok, the world still turns without my eating that family size dairy milk. it's a great feeling.

Best bits............wow how long have you got? :D

• I can shop anywhere instead of just on the net
  • I can walk and breathe at the same time
  • I can wear lace up shoes
  • I can wipe my own arse without having to trap my forearm between my gut and the bog seat in order to reach it :eek:
  • I can walk more than 100 yards without needing a light snack and a rest
  • I no longer need the seatbelt extender on planes
  • My chest has shrunk from 64" to 42" waist 55" to 30"
  • My wotsit has got bigger (I know how great is that :D)
  • I've had more sex in the last year than in the last fifteen years and sometimes there was even someone else there :D:D
  • I've made some fantastic friends through WLS
  • Food no longer controls my life
  • I love exercising again
  • People see me not just a fat person
  • I can pick up my monthly medication prescription without needing a forklift truck to get it to the car
  • I can drive the car without getting friction burns on my belly
  • Plastic patio furniture doesn't scream for help when it sees me approaching
  • If I have a bath instead of a shower, when I get out there is more than half an inch of water left in it
  • I can pass every local Pizza Hut within twenty miles of my house without the staff shouting hello Karl the usual is it?
  • I can see my feet
  • I go for walks on purpose (no more lazy fat syndrome)
  • I don't ever feel like anyone especially my family is embarrassed to be seen with me.
  • I can run up a flight of stairs and not be out of breath (before i would walk up and feel like I was dying
  • Riding on funfair rides - without a problem or having people stare at me like I'm not going to fit.
Finally for now I am gonna have to go with just living life in general. Because the life you live as an obese person really is no kind of life at all.

Worst things?
Not doing it ten years ago

Best bits............wow how long have you got? :D

• I can shop anywhere instead of just on the net
  • I can walk and breathe at the same time
  • I can wear lace up shoes
  • I can wipe my own arse without having to trap my forearm between my gut and the bog seat in order to reach it :eek:
  • I can walk more than 100 yards without needing a light snack and a rest
  • I no longer need the seatbelt extender on planes
  • My chest has shrunk from 64" to 42" waist 55" to 30"
  • My wotsit has got bigger (I know how great is that :D)
  • I've had more sex in the last year than in the last fifteen years and sometimes there was even someone else there :D:D
  • I've made some fantastic friends through WLS
  • Food no longer controls my life
  • I love exercising again
  • People see me not just a fat person
  • I can pick up my monthly medication prescription without needing a forklift truck to get it to the car
  • I can drive the car without getting friction burns on my belly
  • Plastic patio furniture doesn't scream for help when it sees me approaching
  • If I have a bath instead of a shower, when I get out there is more than half an inch of water left in it
  • I can pass every local Pizza Hut within twenty miles of my house without the staff shouting hello Karl the usual is it?
  • I can see my feet
  • I go for walks on purpose (no more lazy fat syndrome)
  • I don't ever feel like anyone especially my family is embarrassed to be seen with me.
  • I can run up a flight of stairs and not be out of breath (before i would walk up and feel like I was dying
  • Riding on funfair rides - without a problem or having people stare at me like I'm not going to fit.
Finally for now I am gonna have to go with just living life in general. Because the life you live as an obese person really is no kind of life at all.

Worst things?
Not doing it ten years ago

Dittto to all the above, so happt for you ALL xx

I wish I could have done this surgery twenty years ago... my health would have been so much better now... plus... it really is terrific to have found like minded, plain speaking, understanding support on here...

Love and hugs always xxx

I wish I could have done this surgery twenty years ago... my health would have been so much better now... plus... it really is terrific to have found like minded, plain speaking, understanding support on here...

Love and hugs always xxx

The important thing is that you did it Bev xx

Morning Lotsofbeefy,

I read this thread at the very beginning and was intrigued by something that you wrote (I'm paraphrasing here): "people now don't mistake my assertiveness for aggression". Why did you think your actions were mistaken?

I agree with that statement too, when you are big people think you are being aggressive if you assert yourself. I also agree with the statement that I wish I could have done the bypass years ago. I first emailed Mr Ammori about getting a bypass 8 years ago, he put me on a virtual waiting list as it wasnt available on the nhs then :D X

Great post and it just gets better!!

The worst part
Not being able to lose the weight myself and having to resort to surgery (very painful for me):(
The horrible 8 1/2 inch scar on my stomach (open bypass):cry:
The hernia I have got due to it being an open bypass:mad:
Losing weight so fast I hardly have any clothes that fit from one week to the next :rolleyes:
Saggy baggy skin

The best bits
Looking in the mirror and seeing the weight dissappear :eek:
Going to Alton Towers and not be the one looking after the bags :D
Having met some great friends on here :D:D

What an inspiring thread! Is sounds like no matter what the worst bits are, there seem to be more good bits to outweigh them.

as a pre-opper I'm looking forward to the day when I can jump out of bed and feel positive about the day ahead.

get in my car without struggling, puffing, or knocking something.

go on holiday and enjoy it all.

resume an active sex life with the OH and having romantic nights in. (regrettably its been on the back burner apart from highdays/holidays since I hit the 22 stone mark!)

Moving around without any hip/knee/back pain and without feeling that I'm carrying a sack of boulders around with me.

Living life to the full - not being afraid of going places or doing things that I've not done before. I'd love to try things like ice skating, going to cinema or theatre, rock climing, canoeing, dancing ... not sitting at home by myself.

Not being a wallflower at work - making my voice heard.

Looking significantly better and feeling much more confident about my body

Wearing stilletos (or at least strappy sandals!) and dressing up - even if its just for 'night in' - see above)

and probably many many more! Here's hoping....

This really is a great thread, I can relate to every comment people have made, and celebrate with Karlos that his wotsits bigger (PMSL) really happy for you mate.

Morning Lotsofbeefy,

I read this thread at the very beginning and was intrigued by something that you wrote (I'm paraphrasing here): "people now don't mistake my assertiveness for aggression". Why did you think your actions were mistaken?

I read this on my way to Uni and wasn't sure how to answer. Ive been thinking about it all day and think the truth is this.........My weight caused anxiety for me and instead of hiding away,I developed a chip on my shoulder and became brash and aggressive, my way was to attack before being attacked and so if i need to make a point i would throw my weight around.
I don't feel i need to do that any more.
Hope you understand what i'm trying to say here......i cant seem to find the words to make it clearer xxx

Back