• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The not-so-secret diary of Mel B - Aged 39 and three quarters.

mellyb28

Size 16 - yay!
Well...I'm a bit late to be starting this diary perhaps as I had my band fitted back on the 19th January this year. However, I have been struggling a bit the last 10 days or so and I'm hoping that by writing it all down (or typing it anyway) it will help me get a bit of focus back.

To start with, a bit of a background about me. As the thread title says I'm Mel, short for Melanie, and I'm 39 years old, 40 in June :)eek:). I'm married to the lovely Steve, work full time as an insurance broker, no kids, one cat!

I've had a problem with my weight since I was around 19/20 or so, basically when I left home and moved in with my then boyfriend. Over the years my weight has steadily gone up, infrequently gone down, and then back up a bit more ( a pattern that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with ). By the time I had my operation I weighed 17stone, 9 and a half pounds and my BMI was 39.9. I decided enough was enough and I didn't want to be hitting the big four-oh being morbidly obese.

When I last weighed in I was down to 15stone 4 and half pounds, and I was pleased with how things were going (although I would have preferred it to be coming off a little faster but then I've never been very patient).

So what's the problem? Well, I can quite frequently get to this level of weight loss on the various diets I've tried over the years, I have to ditch the clothes that are now too big and climb into something smaller. In fact only last week I bought a new suit from Next for work in a size 18 - where as Christmas time I was in a size 22. However, when I get to this point I always seem to hit the self-destruct button and undo all my good work, start to pile the weight back on and end up back where I started (or worse). Why oh why do I do this? It's almost as if when I start to feel good about myself I have to do something to stop having that feeling. We human beings are complex little blighters aren't we?

Anyway, I've had a high old time of it the last 10 days or so and I've probably put a few pounds back on but I'm determined to stop the rot right now and get back on the 'band' wagon and keep on losing. I'm going to get with the program again starting in the morning and also get exercising again. I've got to overcome this hump otherwise I'll have blown eight grand! I'm going to start logging my food again on the daily banders forum but I won't weigh in officially again until the weekend. Even though I suspect it will still be an increase I'm trying to be kind to myself so that it's hopefully not too shocking.

That's it for now but I will post regularly with thoughts, feelings and other stuff that will probably be quite boring for everyone else but hopefully will allow me to exorcise my demons without feeling the need to stuff them down with food instead! Thanks for reading.
:wave_cry:

Hey Sweetie! You sound a lot like me with the out of the blue self sabotage xxx
I hope we can thrash that out together between us all this time x
Glad you started a diary , I'm sure it will help x

I totally identify with reaching a certain weight then self sabotage. Ive been doing that for 10 years. If I can get below 16 stone then it's new terriotry and I would be over the moon!

Hi Mel, thanks for your honesty! I look forward to following your progress, good luck hun xx

Hi Mel - I think we`re all singing from the same hymn sheet - we get on so well dieting, then the self-destruct button destroys it all once again! - EXCEPT this time we won`t let it!

We are here to help each other, some weeks are good, others not so. But we will push these bands to their limit and make sure they work for us all. That is why we need to log our food, even on `bad` days, so we can see any patterns emerge where we can take action before it becomes a major problem.

We`re with you all the way Mel. We want you to feel good and happy with yourself this summer hun x

Love Kat x

i hear ya!!! that self destruct button is a lovely few minutes of lip licking and a few weeks of stress and annoyance...but we all do it!!

Great start to your diary and I can relate to so many things. I look forward to following you on your journey.

Best wishes

tranquil x

Hi Mel,

Im scared of getting down to an 18 too as this is usually when i self destruct.
I know about this and trying to put a plan into place for when i get there.

1) Ive taken pictures of me now, so i can look back at them and remind myself that going back is ugly.
2) When i get into an 18, im going to go to a designer shop and spend a small fortune on a nice piece of clothing in a size 16 to motivate me.
3) i have also promised myself that when im an 18 im going to challenge myself to run a 10k, so that will keep me focused.
4) Ive told my hubby to give me grief and nag at me every day if i start to fail.

No doubt ill add more as i think of them.

As for you, get it all down in this diary. Make youself a promise that in your diary you will write the truth - this will allow us all to help you!
We dont care if you eat 50 mars bar a day at present, what we care about is helping you realise its wrong and offering our support.

Mel a lot of us Banders are at similar weights and trying to get through a milestone that we haven't cleared before , you aren't alone hun and we all get close and then mess up at the last moment so don't feel bad about yourself.
Let's see if we can all pull together and change whatever it is that has tripped us up previously
have a look
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/135606-teenage-kicks-smashing-down-barriers.html

oh gosh mel, unfortunatly i cant give you much advice as all the banders can as i had a bypass, but i do hope you can excorsise those demons and feel that you like many others feel like you ARE WORTHY of getting down to that goal weight you have set yourself. we all have bad days im so glad this forum is here either for a moan or happier moments. with all the support on here i hope you get through the 'down' times to come out the other end a happier healthy you. beat wishes barbara xxx

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to ready my diary so far and for leaving the very encouraging comments. I'm just going to take things one day at a time, try and make good choices day by day and see how it goes.

When I first saw my consultant about this op. I explained to him that I am an intelligent woman, who holds down a good job with a lot of responsibility and yet when it comes to food I let it control me and not the other way around. He asked me what I thought other people thought of me (if that makes sense) and my answer was that they would think 'what a shame', i.e. what a shame that she has let herself go like that when if she perhaps made a bit of an effort and shifted some weight she could be quite passable. That was quite tame for an answer because if I had told him about all the things I had imagined people had said about me over the years I would have been in there for hours!!

What might be useful is to have a discussion about 'triggers' we all have which make us think that the only option available to us is to eat rubbish. Maybe if I could understand these triggers, perhaps by understanding other peoples, we might all be able to find ways of overcoming them in healthier ways.

Anyway, am off to post my food log for the day. Thanks again everyone xx

ikwym...i always think what must they think about me..ooh i must do this food log

Happy Saturday everyone. I'm pleased to report a 1 pound loss this week which might not sound much but after my 'high old time' as I called it in an earlier post, I could have easily had a regain of 4 pounds at least this week.

So I'm now up to 34 pounds off including my pre-op loss, which I'm ok with. People are noticing now and I'm getting some nice comments. I bought myself a few bits in New Look last week in a size 18 which was very satisfying and I'm pretty much the weight I was when I got married 5 years ago so all the lovely clothes I bought for my honeymoon should now fit too.

Got an appointment with my dietician this morning, I hope she's happy with the weight loss. I suspect she'll nag a bit about the lack of fruit n veg (I'm probably only have 2/3 a day) and also the lack of exercise (apparently it's not enough to just join a gym, you actually have to go!) She'll probably also talk about a fill as I haven't had one yet, for some reason the thought of a fill scares me more than the actual op did!

Anyway must go and get ready for my appt, thanks for reading and enjoy the weekend all xx

Hi Mel xxx I'm really pleased about your loss this week, keep on forgeing ahead and the rest will follow xx
Trying on the smaller clothes weekly as well as weighing in, has really been encouraging for me and others so hopefully it will keep you wanting to challenge yourself and having a lot more faith in what you can do.
Don't worry about the fills, I think we all dread them because it's fear of the unknown, it's not too bad! It's usually over pretty quick and a bit uncomfortable but not anything you can't handle xx

I just had to share something with you all. After I saw my dietician this morning (went okay btw) I popped into Next and tried on a pair of white linen trousers in a size 18 and they fitted! So I do now declare that I am officially an 18! I know it's still big in the land of the skinny people but to me I feel like I'm one step closer to being a normal person. To actually go in to a Next store and buy something off the rail instead of having to order online as they don't ever have your size in the shop is something worth celebrating methinks!
Hope you don't mind me sharing with you all but 3 months ago I was a size 22 so today I'm loving what my band has done for me!

Me too, this is the kind of thing we all love to hear about.
Lynne x

blooming heck mel! thats fabtastic! keep going girl!! :)

Back