• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The not-so-secret diary of Mel B - Aged 39 and three quarters.

Hello again dear diary. Sorry I've not posted for a while here but I've been dealing with a few head issues again that have led me into making the wrong food choices. I've had a few days away (twice) and what with the extra bank holidays, the lovely weather etc I've not exactly been following the rules. I know these are lame excuses but I'm sure I'm not alone! Anyway, I know I've pushed my band too far lately so I have made a pledge with myself to get back on track, start following the rules again and hopefully start shifting the pounds again. In the last 2 weeks I have regained one and half pounds, not exactly a disaster I know but still, it's going in the wrong direction!
Our next weekend away isn't until the end of May so I've got 4 weeks to really get down and focus on what I'm eating and drinking, following the rules etc. In the midst of that I have my first fill booked in for the 16th May and a follow up with my consultant the following week.
I'm goint to mention to my consultant this pain I frequently get in my shoulder after eating my main, evening, meal. A nurse friend of mine thinks it might be the band pushing on my diaphram after eating a bit more than I should have done which then aggravates a nerve which travels into your left shoulder. Kind of makes sense but it's a bit annoying that the pain doesn't start until 15 minutes or so after I've finished eating by which time of course I've already eaten too much! So, I need to make sure that my evening meal isn't too big and if need be perhaps eat more but smaller meals. If I can have a few weeks of eating smaller and the pain isn't there I know that's what it is but if I still get the pain even when I've only eaten small amounts then I'll mention it to the Doc. (and all of this before I've even had a fill which proves that the band does give you some restriction, albeit small, even when it's empty!)
Anyways, I'm going to get back on the (band) wagon again this week and looking forward to seeing the weight coming down again.

Well done for posting, it does help get you back in the right frame of mind a lot faster x
Eating slower always helps anyway, I have also found I am coping a lot better now I have dropped sugar and gone quite low carb. Really helps get rid of the cravings x

Well, back at work today and had a reasonable day, managing to keep the endless and mindless snacking at bay. Thought I would up the protein and eat that first as part of my meal, which definitely seems to fill me up quicker and for longer. Went for a 25 minute walk in my lunch break and it felt really nice to be out in the fresh air and sunshine rather than just sitting at my desk and getting straight back to work as usual. Hopefully I can kick-start the weight loss back in the right direction before really giving it a boost when I have my first fill.

Changing the subject slightly, I really wish there were people in my area that I could meet up with from here. Part of the problem with my overeating is that I get really lonely at times as apart from my hubby I don't really have any friends I can talk to. Most of the people I know are people I work with and as I am the boss it's tricky to talk to them about anything personal. At the age of nearly 40 I have to admit that I don't really have any close friends and I don't know how to go about meeting new people. Sounds a bit sad really doesn't it?!! Any ideas welcome and if anyone is in the Tunbridge Wells area and fancies meeting for a coffee (skinny latte of course!) then let me know.

Anyway, I'm off to try and find my pedometer so that I can see how far I am walking in my lunch break and will report back in due course.

Night all x

Hi Mel xxx I wish I was nearer as I can empathise!
I'm 43 at the end of the month and my mate is my partner , that's kind of it really!!
With the boys both having autism I have been pretty isolated, especially before they were diagnosed and everyone just assumed they were bad/I was a crap parent.

If you ever fancy a chat , I can send you my mobile...no-one ever calls me apart from the school!!! LOL

I am on the Atkins still and loving the food so far, I feel better in myself..I think dropping the sugar has been the key for me totally.
I agree about dropping the cal counting and making better food choices instead. I think it's given you a good idea of what works for you and you seem really ready to listen to the body more etc.
Anything I can do just yell x

Neen I have tried to PM you but not sure if I did it right. Let me know if you don't get it and I'll try again!

Had a good week this week and managed to lose my little regain and another pound on top, so feeling much more positive. Didn't count calories this week but tried to stick to the basics, protein first, then veg and I've hardly had anything in the way of carbs other than fruit and veg. Strawberries with a sprinkling of sweetener served with v low fat natural yoghurt is absolutely gorgeous! Normally I relax a lot at weekends which then makes it harder to get back on track in the week. This weekend I am going to relax a little but am going to get to the gym for the first time in weeks to offset any damage I might do with a bit of exercise. Basically I think that needs to be how I live my life going forward, not just while I try and lose the weight. Eat heathily most of the time, but have a little of what you fancy when you fancy it but make sure that you do plenty of exercise to counter it. Sounds easy really doesn't it - why hadn't I thought of that before? Lol!
Anyway I'm off to put some music on and bop around the house while I do my usual Saturday chores. We're off to see the Foo Fighters next month so I might put them off for a bit and have a good old singalong!
Thanks for reading.

Yay - can't wait. Seeing them at the Milton Keynes bowl on 2nd July x

Hi gang. Well, as you probably saw from other posts I had my first fill this week, some 4 months after my operation. The appointment had been cancelled a couple of times previously by the hospital but I hadn't exactly pushed them for it as I was tiny bit scared about the whole thing. Now of course I realise that I was being daft, it was actually fine. Since I've had it I had a day of liquids on Thursday and most of yesterday but last night I had some cottage cheese and crackerbread. I didn't need much to fill me up but I suppose that's because I'm still adjusting to my new tightness. Today I've felt much hungrier but for some reason having had my fill gives me a new determination and I haven't given in to the unhealthy snacks that I was having only a few days ago, hope it lasts!
On Monday I have a follow up appointment with my consultant. When I saw him last time, he set me a target to lose 6kg before I saw him again. At the time I thought, blimey that's 12 weeks away, I'll easily do it! But with all my messing about, delay in getting a fill etc I think I might only just do it by the skin of my teeth!
Last week I sold some old clothes that were too big on ebay, plus my old iPhone as I had upgraded. In all there were 21 items for sale. Well, I was really chuffed when they all sold and I made £467! £240 of that was for the phone but even so, I was really surprised. I've transferred the money into a savings account that I started when I had the op. which is going to be my spending spree money when I get to target. I've always wanted to go shopping and just blow a whole load of cash. The rate I'm going with the weight loss I should have plenty of time to save up anyway!
The other bonus I had from last weekend was to go through some storage boxes that had been in the loft full of clothes that I've bought over the last 5/6 years which were too small. I never seem to get round to taking things back that were too small, convincing myself that one day I would fit into them. Well, I'm pleased to say that last weekend I tried everything on and all bar a couple of items, they fitted! So as well as making some dosh from selling some bigger clothes, I've discovered almost a wardrobe full of clothes that now fit me. What a result!
Sorry for wittering on and for anyone who reads this diary I hope it's not too boring!
Mel

Well I think 34lbs is absolutely fantastic - I have never lost that much on an "ordinary" diet so I would be thrilled to get that much off. Do you think we expect too much from the band?

Hi all, had my appt with consultant on Monday night. He wanted me to have lost 6kg since my last visit and I actually managed 6.7! He was really pleased especially as I had only had my first fill 4 days before. He felt that to have lost the weight I had without any adjustment was excellent and that made me feel really good! He wants to see me again in another 3 months and wants me to have lost at least another 6.5kg by then. He said he's confident I'll do it!
I've never lost this amount of weight on a diet before either, normally because I give up after a month or two when I get fed up with it. For me, the difference the band has made is that I can't give up! When I first thought about the band and had the op. I must admit I thought the weight would come off much quicker than it has but now I realise that unlike at any other time in my life so far, I'm going to really do it this time, even though it might take me a while to get there!
Having that first fill has really made a difference to my appetite too and I'm actually amazed at how little I can now eat and not really feel hungry for most of the day, wouldn't it be amazing if I found my sweet spot first time?!
I certainly don't regret my band for one second but I appreciate that it's my new BFF, (best friend forever!), so that's now my nickname for my band, my BFF!
I'm going to weigh in on Friday this week as we're going away this weekend and I'm keeping my fingers crossed about getting into the 14s this week.
Night all, thanks for reading xx

I've just posted something on the banders daily diet and exercise thread but thought I would also put it on here. I said:

"My reason for posting so early in the day is because I am going to the gym once I've had breakfast and I was wondering about starting a 'June Challenge' thread, or maybe just on here, but relating to exercise in particular rather than food. I certainly know that I need a LOT of motivation to exercise and at my last appointment with my consultant he did tell me off a little bit about the lack of exercise. So, my June challenge to myself is to either go to the gym or do some other form of exercise for at least 30 mins at least 3 times a week during the month of June. Hopefully once I've managed that I'll be so addicted to the feeling it gives me that I won't need to kick myself up the bum so much from July onwards (well I can dream...) Does anyone else fancy making a commitment towards whatever exercise goal you want during June?"

So, my goal is during the month of June, which is 30 days long as you all know, is to either get to the gym or do some other form of exercise for at least 30 minutes 3 times per week, or 12 times throughout the whole month. I'm actually on holiday for the last week of June so that means I might have to fit a bit more in before I go away! Anyway, that's the commitment I've made to myself and even though it's still officially May I'm going to the gym this morning to get myself prepared for what June brings. Last Friday when I weighed in I was 14 stone 12.5 pounds, the first time I've been in the 14s for donkey's years, it would be great to be in the low 14s by the end of the month, dare I even suggest the 13s? I have a big birthday coming up at the end of June so it would be great to be lower for that one that I was when I was 30!
Have a good week all x

Errr, excuse me missus Neen, your progress is F A B, just look at your stats!! You're an inspiration to a lot of us on here laydee and don't you forget it!!

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything so I thought I would do a quick update. I've just got back from a lovely camping holiday in the Lake District, including a couple of nights in Milton Keynes at the end to see the mighty Foo Fighters (wow!). During my week away it was my fortieth birthday and because we were away for my actual b'day I did the whole family thing and what have you in the run up to it, so essentially I haven't been 'dieting' as such for around 3 weeks. I also have done very little in the way of exercise. Despite all that when I weighed myself this morning I'm still 14st 12, so at worst I think I might have put on a pound over the last 3 weeks which is sooo much better than what it would have been pre-band. Anyway, enough is enough, I'm going to be coming up to 6 months post-op on the 19th July so my target is to have lost another 4/5 pounds by then as that will put me half way to acheiving my overall target.
So, as of today I'm back on the wagon and am going to make some healthy choices food wise and get down that bl**dy gym and do some exercise!
I feel that the last 5 and a half months or so have flown by and I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting the opportunity that having the band has given me so I've given myself a kick up the bottie and I'm back on track. I look forward to reporting about some decent losses in the coming weeks and months!
Thanks for taking the time to read this, Mel x

Back