• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The start of my journey!

yvonne83

HI

I hope it's Ok to start a diary when I am so new to this but thought it might be nice to look back at when I finally get where I want to be!

Today I took my first positive step - I visited my GP and asked for help. Luckily for me she was very nice and understanding, though she is new and doesn't know local procedures so she said she would investigate the referral process but that where she is from my BMI would allow me to be referred if that was what I wanted. She has also booked me in for blood tests and started me on Orlistat as she says it cant hurt!

I have always been on the larger side but as a teen I swam every day as I was in the swim team so I could eat a fair amount and stay about the same. It all went down hill when I went to Uni and stopped swimming but kept eating, fast forward a marriage and two children and I am now 165kg.

I have tried every fad diet going, various exercise regimes and have a supportive husband but I can never sustain the weight loss for a meaningful length of time before piling what i lost and more back on.

I am now at the stage where I dont move about easily and can see my health deteriorating and I'm not eating less so I'm only going to get worse. All the anxiety about how heavy I am is keeping me awake at nights too so I want to press on and get myself sorted out!

I have read up on the various procedures and rules regarding funding so will be asking lots of questions from you all and I hope that my journey will soon start!

It's funny but just having made this step is making me feel better and I've eaten a lot less today than I normally would!

Thanks for reading :)

Hello yvonne and welcome !
Good luck in your quest for a new you

Hello and welcome :)

Hello ,
How are you doing on the pills,
I have been on them twice, they worked got two stone off, but then I'm stuck ,
The side effects aren't too nice, but I'm guessing you but of found that out by now,?the pills are how I started my weight loss journey over ten years ago,
Good luck,x

It's very strange to see that it's only been 2 weeks since i first posted! It feels a whole lot longer! A lot has happened, I decided not to try the orlistat as i have problems with urgency of needing the loo (sorry if tmi) as it is and think this might be a step too far if i had the side effects.

I have been referred to the dietetic dept at Lancaster hospital next week so I am on my way, whether it is a long journey or a short one remains to be seen but I am looking forward to the appt in a weird kind of way!

My family live about 4 hours away and came to visit this weekend. We see each other probably once a month/every 2 months and the way my Mum kept looking at me!! Boy was I uncomfortable she seemed to be measuring me with her eyes lol! She doesn't see that this makes things worse that as soon as shed left I was desperately seeking the biscuit box to make myself feel better! :( I am also aware how lazy I seem, they never sit down and march off at a great rate when we are walking and I lump along after them, it's left me quite down. I'm also permanently starving when they are here as I try to appear normal :(

School starts back tomorrow so I am back to work and the kids are back/start school so it will be all change for us again, but I am looking forward to the future and hoping it's looking THIN!! lol!

Will update again once I've had my appt with the dietitian.

Thanks, Yvonne xx

Good luck with everything. Families sometimes are the most thoughtless!

Back home after an expensive and wasted morning! I took time off work to attend my referral appointment which I wont be paid for and it cost me £10 on the bus to get there to be told eat less, move more and would you like a handout with a low fat diet plan!!!! AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! If it was easy or as clear cut as that would anyone be overweight!? As if someone who has been dieting all their lives really need that sort of "help".

I've to return in "a couple of months" where she expects to have seen a loss of 1-2kg per week and then we will discuss how to progress after that. And as I have absolutely zero confidence I nodded meekly and thanked her for her time! :(

She says if I want to go down the weight loss surgery route that I should be aware it will take a LONG time but she wouldn't elaborate on any sort of timescale..... I am sat here with tears rolling down my face in just sheer frustration and self pity!

To make matters worse I seem to have all of a sudden realised how massive I am, everyone in the street looks at me (and most of them look with disgust) and I am feeling very conspicuous!

Anyway thanks for letting me get that out!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you've had a disappointing appt. Some people just don't take your thoughts into consideration.

Hi Yvonne, That sounds so awful and thoughtless by the dietician. We are the same weight, though I was a little heavier starting. Try going back to your GP and ask to be referred to the local bariatric consultant/team. It sounds like the dietician was just box ticking and sounds uncaring. My dietician team are good down here, they don't fuss over weight loss prior to surgery, no set targets at all, though if you do loose any weight, all the better for a safer surgery.

Go back to your GP or another GP at your surgery with more knowledge on Bariatric referral and procedure. Make sure you research it as well, as the more know how you have, the more prepared you are for your journey.
Good luck :) xx

hi yvonne sorry youve had a disappointing start but unfortunately for those who go down the nhs route it is a long process. but dont get disheartened. ensure that when you have your enxt appointment youve lost what thye recommend you lose. Small steps every day get you closer to your goal. they are testing you to see whether you have what it takes for the surgery you see, and for those going down nhs route they do make you prove with weightloss that you are ready. So dont be down wipe those tears and see it as the next challenge. I know its poo when someone says eat less, exercise more but if you can show them that commitment they are so much more likely to refer you for wls. x x

Hi,

I think we've all had days where were in floods of tears so don't feel alone!

It does sound like the dietician was quite insensitive but I guess she's just going through the motions and doing her job as she's told and like the other lady said just ticking boxes.

Don't give up! You're worth so much more than that!! Stuck two fingers up at the dietician,maybe not literally,and soldier on! Pester your GP every day if you have to!!!

You only have one life so don't give up on it!!

Keep us posted and good luck

Becky xxx

Hi there... People are lovely here.. I have been here since July and all I had is support, care and kindness here.. Well done for taking the first steps to start your journey.. And keep us updated..
Enjoy the journey to the new you xxxx

Hi Yvonne don't give up be strong.. go back to your GP as someone else suggested and research research research... find out your local PCT procedure you can find everything you need to know on the internet. Educate your GP if you have to. GL :)

Back