• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My motivation for WLS

Joie_sparkle

Hi, I'm Jo :) 34, pre op bypass.

I just though I would put (metaphorical) pen to paper to chat about my motivation for wanting to undergo WLS.

For me this process is mostly about my daughter - she is 2. I am acutely aware that as her female role model, if I am over weight she is far more likely to be over weight. And she is staring to notice that I am bigger now - she pointed to me last week and said 'big tummy'. And I don't want to miss out on running around after her, and playing with her without being short of breath and exhausted. And I want to protect my health so I'm here for her as she grows up.

Any doubts I had have been wiped away after reading this journal article: Large Maternal Weight Loss From Obesity Surgery Prevents Transmission of Obesity to Children Who Were Followed for 2 to 18 Years

Making her much more likely to be healthy and avoid the struggles I have endured for years.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to slip into a size 12 pair of jeans, and not feel self conscious all the time, but for me it was mostly about being a good mum and being around in years to come to watch her grow up.

So the next time someone asks me 'dont you think your being selfish' I can let them know it's the most selfless thing I can do.

countrywench

This surgery in my opinion is the most selfless thing you can do for your family and most importantly , yourself ..
This will change your life completely , turn it on its head and alter everything .. I cannot even begin to tell you how different I am .. Happy, confident , chatty , calm , stress level has levelled out , the list is so long as some of the others on here will tell you ..
This op though has to be about you firstly .. So be selfish , tell others it's none of their business.. This is for your health , it's not cosmetic , not by a long shot ..
If you don't have the op your going to be weight disabled , and make no mistakes it will happen . How can a body continue to carry a huge amount of weight it's just not designed for ..
I watched a documentary on BBC player a few weeks ago . it was an autopsy on a 17st woman who was only in her late 50s I think .. Now I didn't think 17st was very heavy to be honest and she looked ' chubby' from the outside .. Her belly was probably 2 inches thick in fat when they cut her , but what shocked me was the fat we cannot see inside .. It wrapped itself round every organ , suffocating it and squashing it .. It shook me ..
I hope at 53 I havnt left it to late to mend my poor body and what I've done to it purely through food and my addictions to carbs ..
So Joie , think hard about it .. For me it was a simple descision .. If I didn't have the op I would continue to put on weight , be fully disabled within a year and probably die a long weight related death .. Or I have the op , lose weight , stop my addiction to food and become the woman I know I am inside ..
We will be here with advice so ask away .. Don't be embarrassed to ask anything as we have all walked the very same path ..
Xxxxx

Joie_sparkle

Thank you :) I agree 100% with what you've said. And I'm sure you haven't left it too late, I have read bits of your journey and it seems like your doing great! X

jj87

hi. this really spoke to me as the main reason for mine is also my daughter. she is 2 at the end of the month and I want to do everything with her and not miss out. This really helped me clear up a few things in my mind. thank you x

Joie_sparkle

So I was refered to the hospital in August...

First appointment in September...

Second appointment in December with the dietician...

And today in March I saw the psychologist who had agreed I am a good candidate for surgery and agreed to list me!

So far I have lost 12kg... Which puts me closer to my end goal of 70kg. (35kg left to go)

I am already 7 months into the journey - which I can't believe at all.

I'm just so ready for the new me to be here, and for my new life to begin.

FeeBee

Well done on what you have already lost, fantastic work!
Did they give you any clues how long you will need to wait for a surgery date, assuming that's what happens now?

Joie_sparkle

Hi FeeBee,

Thanks for replying!

I spoke with the secretary who does all the listing yesterday.... And she said that Anna the nurse will give me a date for pre op and then for surgery. But she thought maybe June of July!!

Exciting!

FeeBee

That's brilliant. I will keep everything crossed for you x