• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update+Pics of moi :)

LuLuXo

LULU: Ok, here goes... entry one:

Hi everyone (if anyone is reading this),

My name is Lu and I am a 24 year old history degree student. I wanted to keep a diary of my progress starting from the very beginning so that (hopefully) when I look back this time next year I will be able to see how much progress I have made.
I was always a very skinny child and my mum used to have to force me to eat because I was so fussy. By the time I reached about 11 I started putting weight on, I suppose with the freedom of being able to eat what I wanted to at secondary school. My weight always bothered me but not to the extent it does now- I had little success with dieting but did manage to lose 2 stone, getting down to 17 stone, when I was 21.

My dad and I were always the most close in the family, literally the best of friends and I had never really had time for my mum because I was always so focused on my dad. The same year I had lost the 2 stone, a day before my 21st birthday, my dad was told that he had cancer. Three months later, he had died. After this point my eating got even further out of control and now here I am preparing to have a private gastric band op at the start of Jan 2013.

I have polycystic ovaries which devastated me, and I am desperate to improve my chances of having children AND most importantly, my health and self-esteem, by losing weight. I was talking to my mum about my ovaries after coming home from the doctors one night and she told me that she would pay for me to have the operation done privately as she could see how miserable my weight was making me.

NOW I feel really excited, a little frightened but I just keep imagining myself this time next year, maybe now I can finally be proud of myself. My weight really affects every aspect of my life and has made me so under confident it is unreal. There are so many things that I want to do but won’t because my weight stops me. I am 5ft8 and 22 stone and I’m ready for a change!

If anyone does end up reading this... I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good private hospitals in London? I have my consultation with the hospital group next week... can anyone offer an opinion on what their service is like??

Also, I was planning on having it after Christmas because I thought it would be better to have it done when I have a few weeks off uni... do people agree with this? How long post op can you really be back on your feet? Would you be able to go back to work/uni after a weekend? Are the incisions really sore afterwards?? Sorry for all the questions!

Really thrilled to have found this forum where people can give and receive advice, any comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Lu xx

Welcome hune. Good for you taking charge of your weight problems now in your 20's. Wish I had the sense to do it. I am having a sleeve done privately in Czech republic in Jan. Good luck keep us posted hopefully were both being done in Jan.

Thanks, i just figured that i have lost enough of my life already and i want to enjoy being young and confident for a change! it always seems to me like i would end up having some sort of procedure in my 40s anyway so why not have it now? at first i was unsure and felt embarassed but now im like, why shouldnt i go ahead and do it?? enough people pay for a bloody nose job! How comes your going to czech? is it cheaper?

hope ur well hun xxx

Hello Lu

Lovely to 'meet' you and thanks for sharing your story. You have had a rough time for one so young!

My provider was WLS Group, I'm not sure if they do ops in London but I think they do.

Anyway, good luck on your journey xx

Thanks so much. its so lovely to have people to talk to. have you ever regretted having it done? xx

Hi Lu and welcome :)

Im just over 9 weeks post band but a lot of my recent weight gain was after losing my Mum to cancer 3 years ago. Although I was always big, it shot through the roof as I turned to food in comfort for what was a huge void left after losing my mum. Im sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad, losing someone can affect us so much.

As for the hospital Group I cannot comment, I had my procedure done via Healthier Weight (they also do clinics based in London) and they have been wonderful, pre-op care, the initial consultation, the day of the op and hospital care was great and since. I had personal reasons why I went with this company but I don't regret it for one second, I also have 2 years post surgery care, but also a 3 year warranty for my band and anything that may go wrong. They have been wonderful.

Also, I was planning on having it after Christmas because I thought it would be better to have it done when I have a few weeks off uni... do people agree with this?

If you can schedule it I think its a good idea, I did mine when I had 10 days booked off work anyway, and it fitted in with school holidays, it worked out really well especially as my son and my aunt are the only ones who know about my surgery.

How long post op can you really be back on your feet?
Would you be able to go back to work/uni after a weekend?

I was back on my feet quite quickly, but no, I think a weekend would certainly be pushing it. . .I was recommended to take a minimum of a week off work, I was ready and felt able to go back physically after about 5 days, but it was tiring and I found I was more tired post op than anything else. I was lucky that I didn't suffer post op wind pain or port pain. But I do think that a weekend would certainly be pushing it . . .fixing it in around holidays would be a good idea!

Are the incisions really sore afterwards??

Mine weren't. They itched a bit when they were healing and there was a general ache after surgery which eased after a couple of days, (hardest thing was not being able to sleep on my side for a week lol) the only port pain I've experienced since was a couple of weeks ago, but that was because something I was doing in the gym was something I shouldn't be doing until 3 months post op . . .

And don't apologise for asking questions, I think its better to have as many answers to the things you want to know as possible . . .took me 7 years to finally book and have my band fitted, but not one moment since have I regretted it. And at 9 weeks post op, Im nearly 4 stone down . . .

But Im totally happy with my provider and would recommend them without a doubt, having read so many iffy stories about thg and their follow up care, and also when enquiring myself, I wasn't impressed and am glad I didn't go down the path with them, but its a personal choice :)

Hi Lu and welcome, I've just responded with some answers on your other thread where you posted this and asked these questions :)

LuLuXo said:
Thanks so much. its so lovely to have people to talk to. have you ever regretted having it done? xx

Hi lu and welcome, I'm now 4 weeks post op 41 years old and wishing I'd done it years ago x

Good luck on your journey, loads of support on this site x

Thanks! It is quite scary. I mean, I do really want to change my life and I want to go ahead and have this gastric band put in but at times it is scary and I wonder if I will be doing the right thing. I KNOW I don't have a hope of shifting this weight alone though. I just want to be happy and healthy and live the life I know I deserve but have cheated myself of through overeating and my polycystic ovaries condition. Xx

Not for one second post op have I ANY regrets about having my band fitted. I wish I'd been able to take the step earlier, but I believe that I wasn't in the right or the best place or mindset previously, and now I am which is aiding my weight loss and helping to deal with the general "eating issues" in a much better way.

welcome lulu and good luck :) you will get more of a response if you post in the banders section i think :) xxx

Hi, I'm at uni too, had my band on 10th October which was a Wednesday and I was back at uni in the following Monday! Obviously everyone is different but I didn't have any real pain by then so was fine sitting in lectures! X good luck! :)

Hi Lulu! I was banded by The Hospital Group on Monday by Mr Super. I found all of the nurses and doctors to be very friendly and attentive. They made me feel comfortable. I have had a call from a nurse at my local clinic checking that I am alright, which I am. They've also already booked me in for my first fill and dietitian appointment. So far so good!! People have mixed experiences whichever provider they go with, so my advice is just to see how you feel at your consultation. The surgeon you see at your consultation would be the one who does your surgery if you book, so if you don't feel comfortable with them you could have a further consultation with a different surgeon.

A weekend would not have been enough for me to get back to work, or even leave the house. You would really need to give yourself at least 5-7 days I reckon, though I'm happy I've got 2 weeks off work as not comfortable enough to be back at work tomorrow. I still have some discomfort and twinges around my middle. The worst bit for me has been the wind pain. They pump air into you during surgery and a load gets left behind. It's pretty uncomfortable and relentless for the first few days. Mine has eased off mostly now, though still a bit rattling around in there. The incisions haven't caused me any trouble. They were glued rather than stitched or stapled, but have stayed nicely closed up, now just a bit itchy!

No complaints so far and no regrets. It would be worth having a look at some of the diary threads and many of the most recent banders are posting in the October bandsters thread :)

LuLuXo said:
Hi everyone (if anyone is reading this),

My name is Lu and I am a 24 year old history degree student. I wanted to keep a diary of my progress starting from the very beginning so that (hopefully) when I look back this time next year I will be able to see how much progress I have made.
I was always a very skinny child and my mum used to have to force me to eat because I was so fussy. By the time I reached about 11 I started putting weight on, I suppose with the freedom of being able to eat what I wanted to at secondary school. My weight always bothered me but not to the extent it does now- I had little success with dieting but did manage to lose 2 stone, getting down to 17 stone, when I was 21.

My dad and I were always the most close in the family, literally the best of friends and I had never really had time for my mum because I was always so focused on my dad. The same year I had lost the 2 stone, a day before my 21st birthday, my dad was told that he had cancer. Three months later, he had died. After this point my eating got even further out of control and now here I am preparing to have a private gastric band op at the start of Jan 2013.

I have polycystic ovaries which devastated me, and I am desperate to improve my chances of having children AND most importantly, my health and self-esteem, by losing weight. I was talking to my mum about my ovaries after coming home from the doctors one night and she told me that she would pay for me to have the operation done privately as she could see how miserable my weight was making me.

NOW I feel really excited, a little frightened but I just keep imagining myself this time next year, maybe now I can finally be proud of myself. My weight really affects every aspect of my life and has made me so under confident it is unreal. There are so many things that I want to do but won’t because my weight stops me. I am 5ft8 and 22 stone and I’m ready for a change!

If anyone does end up reading this... I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good private hospitals in London? I have my consultation with the hospital group next week... can anyone offer an opinion on what their service is like??

Also, I was planning on having it after Christmas because I thought it would be better to have it done when I have a few weeks off uni... do people agree with this? How long post op can you really be back on your feet? Would you be able to go back to work/uni after a weekend? Are the incisions really sore afterwards?? Sorry for all the questions!

Really thrilled to have found this forum where people can give and receive advice, any comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Lu xx

Hi lu , I'm having my band in 3 day with Hosptial group just praying they will look after me but after reading a few negative post on hear I'm really scared . My husbands keeps telling me to stop coming in ere I'm only upsetting myself but it been a great help even getting to know the lingo is a mind field,, but I have to think positive as I have payed now so not much I can do about good luck who ever u choose Maxine x :)

Welcome Lulu, I can personally recommend Mr Ameet Patel who is based in London. I have known him for 15 years and he is the kindest, genteelest best bariatric surgeon in the county -in my opinion! LOL . He was one of the first NHS teams to offer Gastric bands - or as they used to be called "Lap bands"in the 90's, he trains other Dr's in this area and I can not think of a bad thing to say about him...well except his clinics do run a bit slow!
He works from the London Weight Loss Clinic and his fantastic Nurse practitioner/PA is called Beth and her number is ****** or mobile ******- and would probably be worth a call to find out some more info. I find the follow up excellent, as you have Mr Patel and Beth's mobile number and contact them directly if there are any problems rather than having to go through the red tape of a large company.
Anyway good luck with things and your future.
xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Note really sure why the moderator's have removed the phone numbers as they are available in the public domain anyway?! - Google him and you will find the numbers again. Good Luck! x

Thanks so much for all the advice guys,

im pretty set on getting this done but ive been getting a bit panicky about whether im making the right choice...

I was talking to my mum earlier and she was asking how i was feeling about everything, I told her i was looking forward to it and explained it a bit more in depth. She didnt realise that the procedure affected so much what you could and couldnt eat! she asked me if i thought it was a good idea to get it done with me being at uni, how would i manage all of my uni work etc... and this made me start thinking... WILL it affect my uni and work?? I mean, i know it is going to be a huge life change, but i just imagined that i would "get on with it!"... how long does it take to settle into your new life? will it really be so hard that it affects uni/work? she kind of make me feel a bit doubtful but i KNOW that this is what i need to do. I dont want to be 50, wishing i had "just done it" when i was 24! i want to salvage the last years of my 20s without feeling like a fat good for nothing frump! ahh ok rant over. Any opinions on this guys?? advice much appreciated as always.

xx

As for the hospital Group I cannot comment, I had my procedure done via Healthier Weight (they also do clinics based in London) and they have been wonderful, pre-op care, the initial consultation, the day of the op and hospital care was great and since. I had personal reasons why I went with this company but I don't regret it for one second, I also have 2 years post surgery care, but also a 3 year warranty for my band and anything that may go wrong. They have been wonderful.

thanks so much for such a detailed answer, really helped. i have checked out their website and it looks pretty good! hard work getting price for a band out of them though!

Was also wondering, if you dont mind me asking, did you have the procedure through the naval? I was thinking this would be better as obviously leaves no scars... but then thought that the thought of anyone cutting my belly button is quite a nasty one.. How did you find it??

Thanks so much again, really helped loads.

lu xx

Welcome Lulu, I can personally recommend Mr Ameet Patel who is based in London. I have known him for 15 years and he is the kindest, genteelest best bariatric surgeon in the county -in my opinion! LOL . He was one of the first NHS teams to offer Gastric bands - or as they used to be called "Lap bands"in the 90's, he trains other Dr's in this area and I can not think of a bad thing to say about him...well except his clinics do run a bit slow!
He works from the London Weight Loss Clinic and his fantastic Nurse practitioner/PA is called Beth and her number is ****** or mobile ******- and would probably be worth a call to find out some more info. I find the follow up excellent, as you have Mr Patel and Beth's mobile number and contact them directly if there are any problems rather than having to go through the red tape of a large company.
Anyway good luck with things and your future.
xxx

Thanks hun, will look into them 2moro... eek! this is really happening! xx

Back