• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Insert Witty and Imaginative Title Here

sarahrob

This time tomorrow, all being well, I'll have been banded. Seems as good a time as any to reflect on how I got here... Plus I'm off work today and daytime TV is just awful, this gives me something to do!

I have always been fat. I was a fat child, a fat teenager and I'm a fat adult. My parents are both extremely fat, as are their families.

Growing up I gained a stone a year, until I was 25 and weighed 25 stone. I had short-term success with most diets, losing a couple of stone only to fall off the diet wagon and land in a heap of lard, weighing more than I did before the diet started.

The only time I lost a significant amount of weight was in 2010 - I dropped from 26 stone to 21 stone-odd, seemingly without trying. Sadly, I didn't have a fairy godmother, I had cervical cancer. It took me a VERY long time to convince a doctor there was something wrong (it's not like I didn't have the weight to lose, after all), but thankfully a minor op removed the tumour and all was well. Sadly I regained the weight I'd lost, and I've held steady at around 25 stone since then.

I've been thinking about weight loss surgery for a while. I have had consultations with a few different providers, before deciding that a gastric band was the best option for me, and THG was my preferred provider.

Even having made the decision, I put off booking the surgery for a few months. I was in a relationship with a guy who liked me fat, and he was vehemently opposed to me getting any form of weight loss surgery. We split up in April for a variety of reasons, but the surgery still wasn't a priority for me.

My parents divorced when I was in my late 20s. My dad remarried and cut all contact with me, so we'd not spoken in the best part of a decade. Earlier this year I found out he has terminal lung cancer. I decided to make contact with him, fully prepared for rejection, but he was glad of the opportunity to get his ducks in a row, and we now see each other most sundays.
I couldn't get my head round the fact that my dad and my stepmum both still smoke. How on earth can you watch someone die of lung cancer and still light up?

I was discussing this with a friend who smokes. As a non-smoker I just couldn't understand the urge. She none too politely pointed out that my mum's family all have type 2 diabetes. I've had an aunty die of heart disease directly related to her obesity, and my mum's sisters all have varying degrees of health issues related to their weight and their diabetes. Doesn't stop me shovelling cream cakes down my neck.

The realisation that I was killing myself wasn't exactly a surprise, but it was still hard to accept. On June 29th I booked my gastric band operation via THG. My BMI was too high for me to have the surgery at Dolan Park, so I'll be having it at the Nuffield in Leeds.

I've told my mum and a couple of my closest friends, but that's all. I don't know why I'm reluctant to tell anyone else - maybe at some point I'll be happier to tell them, who knows?

It feels odd to have something so enormous happening in my life without discussing it. That's one of the reasons I'm so happy to have found this site - it lets me obsess as much as I want to!:woohoo:

So... 5 weeks of pre-op dieting, I am two stone lighter and heartily sick of yogurt. I can't wait to get to grips with the band and the new normal, and I'm ridiculously excited about tomorrow. I'm a little bit nervy, but mostly excited. I love seeing all the diaries on here and can't wait to take up a place on the losers bench:D

Hi Sarah,

I am a fellow bander whose provider was also THG - having my band has been the best decision I have ever made. I feel like I am now back in control of my weight and it's a great feeling.

It sounds to me like you have thought very long and hard about your deicision and I wish you every success in your journey to a new lighter and healthier you

Nina
x

Bless you, what a time of it you've had.

And a high five to your friend who gave you that kick you needed. I know it can't have been easy to be told that but she has potentially saved your life!

Shuffling over for you to get your butt here on the losers bench with us. Good luck tomorrow xx

Best of luck to you for tomorrow - I too have told very few people. I will tell people who ask, but didn't want to be judged and questioned before my op! I'm sure you've made the right decision, enjoy the journey xx

I can relate to sooo much of what you have described and how you are feeling. Even though I don't know you, I am proud of you, and all of us, for taking a stand and taking control, whatever people think about our choices. Good luck with the banding, let us know how it is on the other side on the losers bench - looking forward to booking my seat on it! xxx

Massive congratulations to you for finally being able to take this massive life changing leap.. Be patients and all good things will come to u.
Good luck for tomorrow and for a speedy recovery. I look forward to sharing your journey on here. Xx

Good luk tomorrow. Onwards and downwards :D x

oh my word so much of what you have said has rang true with me.. all the best of luck to you .. keep us updated. x

Had my op yesterday, it all went really well and everyone here has been lovely. I'm in a little pain, but nowhere near as much as I thought I'd be. Now I'm just waiting to be discharged so I can go home and relax and have a cup of coffee, I've had nothing but water since Monday!
Tormentingly there is a Costa here (my absolute favourite), and visitors have been wafting scent trails of latte as they walk past. Yesterday I followed two through the ward, sniffing like the bisto kid...

I figure if my concentration is entirely taken up by coffee I can't be doing too badly lol!

Really glad it went well for you xx

You sound great, I couldn't walk or talk at this point let alone stark costa buying fellow patients and their visitors!!
I went off my beloved green tea for a week or so, but back on it now...
Your a very witty lady... Lets hope your sense of humour doesn't diminish with your weight.. You don't see many funny skinny birds!!
I recon your going to be one of the first, well an Joanna Lumley..

Glad you're doing so well - here's to the future! xx

Day 3, and I'm resisting the urge to follow that up with a terribly-Geordie-accented "in tha big brutha belly".

Pain is minimal thankfully, the most pain I have is from my Clexane injections - OW! There has GOT to be a less painful way to get that into my system. Never mind researching a cure for the common cold or curing HIV, that's what the leading lights of the scientific community should be working on.

All five of my incisions are on my waist (well, in the crease between my spare tyre and my belly where my waist would be if I had one!), so when I stand up the waterproof dressings take a while to stretch and have a tendency to pinch the skin, but once I'm up and moving there's no stopping me.

I'm not suffering too much with trapped wind as yet, though I am burping constantly. Yesterday afternoon I went out for a cup of tea with my mum, and I was very glad the café was empty as I spent the whole time burping, quite loudly on occasion. I certainly hope that's died down by the time I go back to work on the 19th!

I had my post-op call from THG this morning and it was all very dull. I wanted to make up a huge crisis just so I felt they were earning their money, but I didn't have the heart to.

So far so good!

Wow, I'm so glad it has all gone so well for you, my turn tomorrow and I have found myself worrying about "after" and pain, hope mines as good as yours x

Oh wow, hope you're doing ok, I don't think I slept a wink on Monday! Fingers crossed for you hun, let me know how you get on x

Day 3, and I'm resisting the urge to follow that up with a terribly-Geordie-accented "in tha big brutha belly".

Pain is minimal thankfully, the most pain I have is from my Clexane injections - OW! There has GOT to be a less painful way to get that into my system. Never mind researching a cure for the common cold or curing HIV, that's what the leading lights of the scientific community should be working on.

All five of my incisions are on my waist (well, in the crease between my spare tyre and my belly where my waist would be if I had one!), so when I stand up the waterproof dressings take a while to stretch and have a tendency to pinch the skin, but once I'm up and moving there's no stopping me.

I'm not suffering too much with trapped wind as yet, though I am burping constantly. Yesterday afternoon I went out for a cup of tea with my mum, and I was very glad the café was empty as I spent the whole time burping, quite loudly on occasion. I certainly hope that's died down by the time I go back to work on the 19th!

I had my post-op call from THG this morning and it was all very dull. I wanted to make up a huge crisis just so I felt they were earning their money, but I didn't have the heart to.

So far so good!

Am so glad you are doing ok, have to say tho my burping has not stopped....I'm 6 weeks post op and every single time I eat or drink I do the biggest loudest burps ever. Was mortified to begin with but now I'm not so fussed, everyone at work knows about my band and they accept its part of it! x

OK, I spoke too soon about my lack of pain. Apologies if this is TMI!

Yesterday I attempted to poo for the first time since my op. I can only assume a bored nurse was playing with a Rubik's cube which somehow ended up inside me during the op. No way does slimfast and soup have so many pointy corners.
After straining for hours I ended up giving far more manual assistance than I EVER want to have to give my bottom, and I spent the afternoon walking like John Wayne and trying not to sit down.

I have been drinking as much as I physically can, and my pee is nice and pale, so I'm not sure why things ended up the way they did. I have still got quite a lot of pain from my bum, and some ominous stomach-churny noises which suggest I may have to go again today - not looking forward to that.

This morning I'll be heading to a chemist for a giant pack of movicol.

Didn't mention this anywhere in THG's glossy brochure...

Back