• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Morbid(ly Obese) Diary

Loppie

So, I guess this is my little section to ramble all about me. Which at least keeps me from rambling about myself out loud, therefore people don't think me nuts.

I have been fat from birth. That is what it has felt like. By the time I was 4, I was nearly 4 stone. I loved sweets and I was spoilt and got my way - a lot.

When I was 6 my mum took me to a dietician and they apparently told her I blackmailed her for sweets. Pretty impressive for a six year old me thinks.

My mum would place a healthy meal down in front of me at the dinner table and I would wretch until I got a bag of sweets in my hand. Guess I was a pretty powerful 6 year old!

Anyway, with the help of this dietician and my mum, I lost the excess weight and there are actually pictures of me in existence at ages 7-9 looking quite slim with bean pole legs. Then the weight started to pile on again as I became a secret eater.

I would take things from the kitchen, to my room, eat and think I was pretty smart because I did it without my mum finding out. In the end she always caught me out when she went to get something out of the cupboard and it no longer exsited.

I guess negative attention was just as good as any.

With regards to fat genes my brother was overweight but overcame that independent of any interventions other than diet and exercise by age 20, my sister who I have constantly compared myself to, is slim and always has been. My mum has struggled with her weight since the age of 35 or so, but is only approximately 3 stone overweight which I dont consider much as I am so huge. My dad is a pretty healthy weight, maybe 2 stone over. No one in my whole family is super obese - like me.

I have went through periods of losing weight and regaining it. Last year before the summer I had lost 7 stone from healthy eating (following my own plan) and attending the gym 4 -5 times a week. I climbed a mountain at home in Ireland. I was still 17 stone in weight but I was a fit maniac. I loved it. But I got out of the habit and the old habits crept in. By the new year I was in the 20's again. Binging every evening on sweets and crisps. Feeling crap. Doing minimal exercise and curling up in a ball on the sofa too self conscious to go anywhere due to my self image.

Fat, disgusting, horrible, hateful, ugly...the list goes on.

Due to having messed up my huge lose of 7 stone, I lost all hope. I couldn't see myself ever losing so much weight again, so I ate to make myself feel better, then feel worse.

I realised, I am 31, I am an adult, I can go for an option that I never even considered, something to help me get my act together. I know I can lose weight but I need that kick up the butt to get going and Mr Li gave me that.

The Gastric Band.

Feeling a bit off.

At present i'm not in a 'great' place but i'm ok. Hilariously from the start of my milk diet I have obsessively cooked my husbands meals every night. I have tried to enjoy food through him. Am I a feeder???? Will my husband need a band?

Tonight I cooked a ham and chicken bake with a mustard cheese sauce, veg and covered in mash. I then cooked currant scones. I havent made scones in 15 years.

I am not tempted by the food. I havent eaten any of this food but I can't stop making it.

I am fed up with my wound. I know my port wound will take time to heal as it's opened but i'm on strict rest for two weeks from the hospital group and I was enjoying my walks. Now I can't go on them or do any form of exercise. I know it's stupid but it feels like i'm behind, i'm behind everyone else as everyone is getting on with their new lives. It's silly to think that but gah.

I dont feel like im focusing on losing weight as I cant do exercise to help this. I get hungry quite easy at the moment and i'm not getting a fill until end of september. Oh well. Can't wait to mush come wednesday! Got a fish pie that I am going to enjoy very much.

Ramble over for the night. I know this will all be worth it when I can fit two legs in one trouser legs and be an inspiration for someone else, just cant come soon enough! (dont want that to be my downfall).

Post-op liquids are two miserable weeks, but mush soon and then the world is your oyster. Well, maybe not your oyster (they're not mushy) but "the world is your mashed potato" doesn't have quite the same ring to it!

I know what you mean about feeling behind. I was gutted that in 3 weeks on pre-op milk and yogurt I lost 13lbs when other people seemed to lose that in a week. It's hard not to compare yourself to others, even if your rational side realises we're all different.

I hope you heal well and are soon going for lovely walks again x

Loppie you are doing so well congrats on making it to the losers bench :). I'm not a bander (bypass) but I agree with Sarah. I am coming to the end of what will be a three week post op liquid diet with two weeks pre op before that. It's draining, I'm tired and its really starting to get boring now. I am like you in that I'm not hungry and am not tempted to eat per say but my body is needing sustenance now. I think my mouth will have forgotten how to chew by the end of this!

I know what you mean about feeling behind. I was gutted that in 3 weeks on pre-op milk and yogurt I lost 13lbs when other people seemed to lose that in a week. It's hard not to compare yourself to others, even if your rational side realises we're all different.

I completely agree that this is the hard thing. I have to get in my head that i'm only beginning and everyone goes at their own pace and I have to accept mine. :) 13lbs is also huge to lose! I could have easily put that on in 3 weeks. So that is well done. (we just need ourselves to adopt these encouraging voices).

'The world is my mashed potato' would be a very good book title! I would read it :)

Loppie you are doing so well congrats on making it to the losers bench :). I'm not a bander (bypass) but I agree with Sarah. I am coming to the end of what will be a three week post op liquid diet with two weeks pre op before that. It's draining, I'm tired and its really starting to get boring now. I am like you in that I'm not hungry and am not tempted to eat per say but my body is needing sustenance now. I think my mouth will have forgotten how to chew by the end of this!

Three weeks liquid - I have to bow to you! :) Well done.

I am sure my facial muscles are wasting away from not being used! I used to think I had the biggest cheeks in Ireland, now I will have the flabbiest! :)

Hi Loppie,
All the best, u will attain your goal with all the determination. I must also congratulate u on losing 7stone on ur own without any help. So with the help of a band , I am sure u will do great. I am also a bander and I am losing slowly but surely.

Hi Loppie,
All the best, u will attain your goal with all the determination. I must also congratulate u on losing 7stone on ur own without any help. So with the help of a band , I am sure u will do great. I am also a bander and I am losing slowly but surely.

Hi ya! Thank you! I was in some insane zone which I hope to fall into again! The thing is, at the time I said I would never put the weight on again but life happens - or nothing happens! :)

Slowly but surely is never bad, the tortoise and the hare? :) Can't wait to be losing. Good luck with your journey.

Hi Loppie
I hope you are starting to heal?
I have had my band for 13 months and am losing slowly but surely. I don't have scales at home so only weigh at the clinic but have noticed I am buying smaller clothes and they fit comfortably which I'm happy with. I lost 5 stone with lighter life a few years ago which was totally unsustainable. I then went to Slimming World and gained weight weekly after week 1 due to the carbs and unlimited portion size!!
I had to laugh at your scone making. I am forever making cakes and biscuits for my other half and grandchildren, which I don't touch as found they really hurt when they get stuck. Maybe we just need the pleasure of watching others eat what we can't?
Hope you are feeling back to normal real soon.
Crazy Lady

Hi Loppie
I hope you are starting to heal?
I have had my band for 13 months and am losing slowly but surely. I don't have scales at home so only weigh at the clinic but have noticed I am buying smaller clothes and they fit comfortably which I'm happy with. I lost 5 stone with lighter life a few years ago which was totally unsustainable. I then went to Slimming World and gained weight weekly after week 1 due to the carbs and unlimited portion size!!
I had to laugh at your scone making. I am forever making cakes and biscuits for my other half and grandchildren, which I don't touch as found they really hurt when they get stuck. Maybe we just need the pleasure of watching others eat what we can't?
Hope you are feeling back to normal real soon.
Crazy Lady

It's real nice to know i'm not the only one making goodies for everyone else! :)

My wound is getting better daily, i'm just impatient! But no pain with it, so I can be thankful for that.

Thank you for your kind response!

I think you are doing great. It is boring on liquids but the time still drifts by and the scales will still go down...so hang in there!

I think you are doing great. It is boring on liquids but the time still drifts by and the scales will still go down...so hang in there!

Thanks summerband :) I can't wait to go to bed and wake up to mush! I think the problem is, I have time off at the mo and all i'm focusing on is the band, the weight and the eating, as I am resting to heal my wound (supposed to rest...!)

Go tomorrow to have my wound looked at. I have been packing it myself daily but because I have seen it daily, I can see no difference. At least there is no infection, it looks a healthy colour.

The nurse said last friday that the Surgeon (Mr Li) may try to glue it or stitch it. Personally I don't like this idea as it would technically leave a cavity underneath but I will go with what he thinks is right.

Feeling ok today. Baked some bread that I couldnt eat but my OH can! It turned out quite well, never made it before. Thanks very much Paul Hollywood! Need to stop watching the British Bakeoff as I want to try to make Macaroons next!

Why am I food nuts right now? Going to try some soft scrambled eggs in the morning. I know people have problems eating in the morning and I know sometimes my slimfast takes a while to go down, but I am looking forward to trying and just putting something with substance in my mouth :)

Feel really good on the forums. I am shy as heck and worry about how I come across but no one has told me to bugger off yet, which is good (just cause everyone is nice!). This place I think is helping me build my confidence as I feel I can help some people out as well. That's what its all about.

Loopie don't worry about glue ... Mine were all glued and I have to really hunt to find my scars now. Best of luck :)

Mine were glued too and they are absolutely fine :)

Also just be aware of scrambled eggs - people automatically think its a great "mushy" food, but its not always a food that people with bands can tolerate, similarly omelettes. Egg such as that can often get stuck so do be careful and make it very sloppy to begin with :)

I had trouble with my port site after the band. The glue opened and a friend (nurse) looked after it for me. She packed it with silver dressing to help it heal. Took about 4 weeks before it closed properly.

Enjoy your mushies. It is one of my favourite stages. I was on it yesterday after a fill .

Had egg mayo for breckie at work, middle of a jacket with tuna for lunch and shepherds pie for tea mmmmmmmm.............

Also just be aware of scrambled eggs - people automatically think its a great "mushy" food, but its not always a food that people with bands can tolerate, similarly omelettes. Egg such as that can often get stuck so do be careful and make it very sloppy to begin with :)

Thanks for the advice! I didn't have the issue with eggs getting stuck but I swear they dont taste the same?!? I had two small mouthfuls that I chewed to bits and I had to stop as it was making me feel sick. I find it likely that I will not be attempting them again. The thought of them makes my stomach turn!

Luckily I had more success with lunch - Tuna with very light mayonnaise and the inside of a baked potato. (ate half the inside of the baked potato which was already small and half a can of tuna - which I am pleased with as I need the protein. But even with my tea worked out, I am only having 700 calories today, so may need to work a bit harder, but will get there with time :)

I had trouble with my port site after the band. The glue opened and a friend (nurse) looked after it for me. She packed it with silver dressing to help it heal. Took about 4 weeks before it closed properly.

Enjoy your mushies. It is one of my favourite stages. I was on it yesterday after a fill .

Had egg mayo for breckie at work, middle of a jacket with tuna for lunch and shepherds pie for tea mmmmmmmm.............

Hey Wobbly! It's nice to know i'm not the only one with port wound trouble, it's a pain as I really want to start exercising properly. I am looking after mine myself and using silver also, it's slowly improving.

I stole your lunch idea for today and it was successful and yummy (love tuna), unfortunately the eggs were not! :) x

i prefer boiled eggs mushed with lite mayo than scrambled.

the fish you boil in the bag in a sauce is nice and easy as well for mushy stage, with mushy peas mmm...

I'm back to crunch today not half as exciting x

i prefer boiled eggs mushed with lite mayo than scrambled.

the fish you boil in the bag in a sauce is nice and easy as well for mushy stage, with mushy peas mmm...

I'm back to crunch today not half as exciting x

Will keep boiled eggs in mind. I may attempt!

Saw Mr Li for um...2 minutes this evening for him to check my wound. No need to pack anymore and he says it will just granulate across. I know from experience that if its left to granulate across I will end up with a pretty wide scar but I guess if it's healed then I dont really care - I ain't going to be showing my belly to anyone! (bar my poor husband!).

Just felt a bit deflated as I was rushed in and rushed out as quick as possible, but then what do I expect? A chat and a cup of tea!? Oh well!

See the nurse at the same place on Friday and then hopefully that will be it.

When for a walk with the dog today, throwing the ball about, nothing too strenuous and I really enjoyed it. My dog has been my saviour, keeping me company and putting up with my complaints, also helping me up the stairs as I can lean slightly on him! lol poor thing.

Are u at Manchester Hun?

I'am they haven't even suggested I see mr Li, I have had mine stitched at my local hospital. Apparently the nurse told me over the phone that we may have a delay on having a fill because the port is under this wound :( hope not! X

Back