• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss ward

A much more positive episode than last week. Well done all concerned esp the Taxi driver. I've once climbed that summit and it nearly killed me. Boosted my self doubts into oblivion. Bring it on.

This episode was so much better,especially as the lady taxi driver made the comment
"I'm no longer a drain on the nhs" due to obesity health issues...lets hope the general public realise this,and look at the bigger picture.

Loved his sense of humour when he said lean mean bonking machine. Nice 2 see a fella with a sense of humour x

Geoff is really nice he was in the opposite bed to Paul at the time x

More please ITV! :)

they could of made a 6 weeks show they had 120 hours of footage to edit into two 46 minute shows with the ads, lots of good stuff didnt get used as there was simply not enough air time x

Interesting that in the NE you can get skin removal if you achieve a BMI of 28 (and that someone said most of their patients can't get to that BMI. There's loads on her who have got below 28. I wish the same applied here!

Hiya...what was said can come across decieving, its a bmi of 27 not 28 and it has to be held steady for 2 years before referal to plastics, the nhs do not do all plastics only a tummy tuck, anything else has to be done privatley as theres simply not the funding to pay for it. Hope that makes things clearer xx

How is Geoff doing now???? (not sure when all this was filmed and how far he has come in his wl journey) cheers Liz x

Hi Julie i havent seen Geoff since early filming in March this year, the end of the film said he had maintained his weight loss after the balloon removal and had been put on the list for a bypass, filming must of been complete at the time his turn for surgery came up. I will try and find out though as id also like to know how he is xx

im not impressed with some of the comments on Twitter tho, theres some nasty uneducated people out there commenting about things they know nowt about x

Hi Julie i havent seen Geoff since early filming in March this year, the end of the film said he had maintained his weight loss after the balloon removal and had been put on the list for a bypass, filming must of been complete at the time his turn for surgery came up. I will try and find out though as id also like to know how he is xx

Thank-you-with-hat_zps51f9439d.jpg

Much better than last weeks program.

Interesting that in the NE you can get skin removal if you achieve a BMI of 28 (and that someone said most of their patients can't get to that BMI. There's loads on her who have got below 28. I wish the same applied here!

A lot us can't get our WLS funded, let alone plastics.

Its obvious more money is being given to the areas that have a greater need for bariatric surgery. At the start of the programme they say the hospital is in one of the most obese areas in the country. Their approach sounds very good to me and shows that its not an easy ride.

The second programme was better, the first seemed to be intent on provoking a negative reaction.

Was lovely to see you and Paul in the flesh (so to speak) Liz ;) xx

A lot us can't get our WLS funded, let alone plastics.

Its obvious more money is being given to the areas that have a greater need for bariatric surgery. At the start of the programme they say the hospital is in one of the most obese areas in the country. Their approach sounds very good to me and shows that its not an easy ride.

The second programme was better, the first seemed to be intent on provoking a negative reaction.

Was lovely to see you and Paul in the flesh (so to speak) Liz ;) xx

The whole set up up there seems very positive indeed. it's a shame every PCT doesn't take such a long sighted view of wls and help people reduce their weight via surgery.

I have no idea of the cost of such ops to remove excess skin. But surely that eventuality would be on the mind of the patient before they undertook surgery? If the skin would become a problem, then why not put money aside and start saving for that op so eventually one day you could pay for it yourself. Positive forward thinking.

I hear what you are saying Joe, and the validity of skin removal ( or otherwise) is very contentious. For some people, putting money aside is simply not an option ( me included) so it's really not as simple as that.
I am sure most of us think about having to deal with excess skin before our ops -I know I did. I would have told you it wouldn't be a problem, that I could deal with it and all would be well. However, I was in no way prepared for the extent of the loose skin, the physical impact of dealing with it let alone the enormous emotional impact. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go through further surgery if I won the lottery but I do know I have to work on dealing with the trauma of naked me ! I do think hospitals should discuss this with patients. Mine never mentioned it at all !!

Yes it's a tough one, the whole loose skin and corrective surgery. Right now, I don't care about loose skin as my main objective is life saving wls, however, having lost 16stone in the past, the loose skin I had started to upset me more and more. It sort of grew into a problem of its own, much like being overweight, but only hidden under clothes.
Back them I was young - vain if I'm being honest - very self critical and hadn't dealt with any of my underlining issues around food - I regained all the weight I'd lost and more.

Being older and hopefully a little wiser, I now want wls solely to prolong and improve my quality of life. I've worked through a lot of stuff and feel totally committed to changing my lifestyle now and after wls. My sincere hope is that I can accept myself loose skin n all - when that day happens for me - but I do know deep down how my priorities, body image and needs can change as I change.
Being a lot older now, I just hope it won't affect me as much as it did back then.

I'm hoping I can actually hide the arm and belly loose skin without needing to buy bigger sizes just for my belly to fit,its not to bad but c-section births have given me the dreaded over hang that will only get worse. When I started this journey nearly 3 yrs ago I thought I would be all right with loose skin but if I'm honest I wont be able to cope with leg loose skin.

The people who qualify for WLS on the NHS got it because they cannot afford to pay themselves so there is no way most can put money aside for plastics,me included

I hear what you are saying Joe, and the validity of skin removal ( or otherwise) is very contentious. For some people, putting money aside is simply not an option ( me included) so it's really not as simple as that.
I am sure most of us think about having to deal with excess skin before our ops -I know I did. I would have told you it wouldn't be a problem, that I could deal with it and all would be well. However, I was in no way prepared for the extent of the loose skin, the physical impact of dealing with it let alone the enormous emotional impact. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go through further surgery if I won the lottery but I do know I have to work on dealing with the trauma of naked me ! I do think hospitals should discuss this with patients. Mine never mentioned it at all !!

i do the seminars with the consultants and dieticians for new wls patients we do make it clear of the strict guide lines here for a t/t of a bmi of 27 to be held steady for 2 years, and we also state at seminar for most this is not a realistic bmi to get too for most patients, also we do make it clear other plastics such as arms legs boobs isnt nhs available as theres simply not the funding, its 100% honesty from stage 1 from us x

Back