• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss ward

If I'm honest, the whole loose skin problem was the thing that put me off wls in the first place. I had the chance about 4-5 years ago at Sunderland, but decided not to. A few years later and the associated illnesses etc that go with obesity have started to rear their heads. So in order to nip things in the bud and to hell with vanity, I'm opting for the wls with full commitment this time. You get one chance in life - reclaim back what you have squandered.

As a newbie that has just started on the road to wls the loose skin thing is definetly the most daunting thing on my mind. Yes I am aware that I need this surgery to live and I am willing to put everything in to lose the weight .... But ..as much as I know my husband will love me in what ever form I am in I know that I will not be. I have already set up a little saving a/c in order to fund some plastic surgery... depending on what I feel needs tightening the most:rolleyes:

This is my experience...I'm 5.1 and was creeping up to 20 stones.
2 yrs 4 mths later my dress size is 10/12 top 12/14 bottom.
Regarding loose skin,I've been extremely lucky!
I was expecting lots of it,but currently I've got a little on tops of arms,inner thighs just a little,and my tummy is nothing more than you'd expect from having 2 children(just regular jelly wobble)
The one thing which I really felt has helped my skin is my weightloss being nice and steady.
I never had great huge losses every week just average of 3lbs weekly and a few stalls.
So I think it helps skin to adjust and not go into shock x

i do the seminars with the consultants and dieticians for new wls patients we do make it clear of the strict guide lines here for a t/t of a bmi of 27 to be held steady for 2 years, and we also state at seminar for most this is not a realistic bmi to get too for most patients, also we do make it clear other plastics such as arms legs boobs isnt nhs available as theres simply not the funding, its 100% honesty from stage 1 from us x

At least your PCT recognise that weight loss surgery patients do have loose skin problems and offer something which is better than nothing. As far as I can gather a lot of PCTs make you sign something/agree that there will be no loose skin surgery on the NHS post weight loss surgery :cry: I certainly haven't got the disposable income to save for any plastic surgery (it's so expensive - especially if you need it all over)...

I think that's a very good approach Liz, as you know where you stand from the outset. Loose skin was not even mentioned to me pre-op and I think it should e. You can't know the emotional ( or physical and practical) impact of loose skin until you have it and I would have welcomed some professional preparation for the inevitable.
xx

Last edited:
Back