• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What Hospitals on NHS

I am being referred to Taunton from Cornwall as they don't do it any bariatric surgery down here anymore..can't get many answers from the PCT..anyone had to travel out of county?

Yes. I come under Birmingham East & North PCT but am going to Walsall Hospitals Trust (Walsall Manor Hospital) for my procedure.

I had mine done on the NHS in St James in Leeds by Mr Pollard and he was excellent. Mine was a revision of a previous surgery done ten years ago and he was very straight with me and told me exactly the dangers he might face. In the end my surgery took 5 and a half hours and had some major complications. I'd trust Mr Pollard with any surgery I needed, he's a great guy.

HI, Im waiting for my op date at Walsall Manor, have you had yours yet? Hoping for feb 09.

hi also waiting for walsall mnor had my letter yesterday to say i have been put on the waiting list and should have a date within approx 20 weeks
Hiya Tesmaralda,
Hopefully you might hear something before that, it has happened earlier for me then they predicted and would have been earlier still if my pct hadn't quibbled over the funding, They would only fund an open procedure, but hey ho I don't care I feel very lucky to be having it at all. Let us know when you hear something and good luck.

Hiya Tes, It was the funding that took the longest for me, cuz i'm under Sandwell not walsall! So if your under a different PCT it might well be sooner chuck, i'll keep me fingers crossed for you.

I had mine done at Walsall Manor Hospital by the fantastic Mr Amir Khan.

Emma
x

Hiya Tes, It was the funding that took the longest for me, cuz i'm under Sandwell not walsall! So if your under a different PCT it might well be sooner chuck, i'll keep me fingers crossed for you.

Found out on 9th of dec funding approved so it only took about 6 weeks i come under north east birmingham pct or ben pct as they like to be known as. so it is literally a waiting for d day game now. But i'm no good at waiting.

Hiya Tes, I know what you mean, I tell myself to be patient, but it's soooooo hard when your waiting for your new life, your second chance to do things right! I'm soooo excited, cuz as soon as i'm fit and well and like 10stone lighter I want to pursue a career of some sort!

I had mine done at Walsall Manor Hospital by the fantastic Mr Amir Khan.

Emma
x
Hiya, yes I believe I'm having mine done by Mr Khan, I have'nt met him yet though, I've only seen Dr Hartland.

emma do you mind me asking why you are having to resort to cambridge after having a bypass?

Im not loosing anymore weight :( My weightloss near enough stopped 4 months post op. If i loose 1 lb a week, ive had an excellent week. I follow the rules but my weight just isnt shifting. Weightloss surgery doesnt work 100% for everyone unfortunately.

Emma
x

what ratio of carbs were you eating to protien. i was told that if you exceeded 30%carb it can have a massive effect on yr weight loss post op. And that one way of kick starting yr weight loss is to go back to just milk and yogurt for 5 days and then reintroduce things slowley but taking care not to exceed 30% carbs. you may of already tried this but just thought i would share.
hope you have sucess whatever yoy do
hc

Just to add my 2p, I have read several wls books (specific to bypass) and many suggest no refined carbs at all. They don't say it is a must by any means but it is a tool you can consider. I have really limited my intake of rice, pasta, bread and starchy veg because eating them all the time makes me crave them a bit.

We each find our own way in the end don't we? Hopefully the CD will work wonderfully for you, keep us updates because it is something I would like to know about.

Best wishes,
Nic:D

Hi Jenk,

Do you exercise at all?

Yes although its only brisk walking but over the last three months i have walked on average 3+ miles per day. I have also been swimming most days for the last two months.

what ratio of carbs were you eating to protien. i was told that if you exceeded 30%carb it can have a massive effect on yr weight loss post op. And that one way of kick starting yr weight loss is to go back to just milk and yogurt for 5 days and then reintroduce things slowley but taking care not to exceed 30% carbs. you may of already tried this but just thought i would share.
hope you have sucess whatever yoy do
hc

I always eat my protein first so have very little room for carbs. My body hates/loves carbs so i am very wary about the amount i eat. Im going to try the 5 day pouch test to see if this helps.

Just to add my 2p, I have read several wls books (specific to bypass) and many suggest no refined carbs at all. They don't say it is a must by any means but it is a tool you can consider. I have really limited my intake of rice, pasta, bread and starchy veg because eating them all the time makes me crave them a bit.

We each find our own way in the end don't we? Hopefully the CD will work wonderfully for you, keep us updates because it is something I would like to know about.

Best wishes,
Nic:D

Thanks Nic, I will let you know how I get on. I rarely eat bread as my pouch doesnt allow it, but i do eat small amounts of rice and pasta.

i have been advised that post op i should not have bread or pasta ect til i am at my desired goal weight for exactly the above mentioned reason...but i can have baked potato!? go figure!!! x

The team at my hospital advised me not to cut out all carbs but just to eat it last which is what I am doing.

Thanks all

Jenk x

Jenk, what is the 5 day pouch test please?

Back