• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

work issues attitudes

bigfella1

Hi everyone has anyone had any problems with their employers about time off, attitude to wls surgery etc .i know some people feel our problems are self inflicted therefore no sympathy . I was thinkin of taking holidays to cover time off but i'm sure iwont be able tocover it all.

im self employed so my problems were different in that although i had my op via the NHS i had to make sure i had enough in the bank to cover the bills whilst i was off as no work no income.

This is a pain, my problem is that I have been made redundant and the potential timing of my operation would be when I start my new job assuming I can get one. I don't want to put the operation off but doubt if I will have the funds to carry myself. Realistically how long post op do you need to get back to work, I am sat at a desk most of the time so could take it easy.

BigDave

Well thats a big question i'm 60% desk based 40% on site supervision . i intend to take as little as possible ,i suppose i'll know more when i see the consultant based on what he offers me.
Ideally i would take about 3 weeks in combination of holidays and sick because of my size i cant see me being offered the band hopefully this is enough.

Hi guys I hAve booked 1 week hold rest unpaid they say because selective surgery mmmmm. Well helllooooo it's not like I'm having a boob job is it I reAlly feel it's unfair but I have to say its Company rules they have to be fair to everyone my boss and his manager been great xxx

I have booked 3 weeks, The Bariatric nurse says 2 weeks and some only take a week. However I think it depends on the demands of your job, in many ways mine isn't that demanding but the amount I have to carry is quite a lot as a multi classroom based HLTA I walk around the whole school site carrying all I could need to support/teach the kids I work with so as the class I teach are out for the first 2 weeks on Work Experience I have only to worry about the lessons I support in so not my responsibility to plan and teach and so my supervisor can reasign other ta's to cover them and the 3rd week they are all in but it is the last week of term and and sports day for one day weather allowing so I can set work for those lessons etc. Then it is the start of the school summer break so I can recover a bit more if I need to then while planning my lessons for the Autumn term. But then I am lucky to have the sort of job I do that means I have as such got the best time of year have my op without to much disruption to the schools timetable and to me.

It wasn't the pain that was a problem, just the tiredness and sudden total lack of energy. If you do go back early, it is important to drink plenty.

Slim4son said:
Hi guys I hAve booked 1 week hold rest unpaid they say because selective surgery mmmmm. Well helllooooo it's not like I'm having a boob job is it I reAlly feel it's unfair but I have to say its Company rules they have to be fair to everyone my boss and his manager been great xxx

It is unfair but as u say at least it's the same for everybody my manager has been great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

its in your works long term benefit if you lose weight and become fitter ..........well thats the way i've put it to mine ;) hopefully my need for insulin will decrease after my op in august

i have just had a meeting wif my boss as i have recived my last appointment through nd need sum time off nd they have just informed me that i cant use my holidays wen i have my op!!!!!! so it means i have 2 take sick leave and not allowed bk to work untill i have written conformation from my doctor to return, i get paid sick while off so its not too bad ha x

My company gave me all the backing I need. It was never discussed about time off. They just told me to take as much time off as I needed and do it all on the sick with full sick pay.

My boss was great with me, I came back after 2 weeks, I work in an office and I have been fine but I have had some days where I am really tired and find it hard to concentrate so I try to plan and do tasks that require more brain work in the morning and leave easier tasks to an afternoon when I am tired,

Hope this helps, Karen x

i dont think work are been funny bout time just fink they r thinking wot will b best for me, at least i still ave loads of days holiday to take ha xx

I told work I was having my gallbladder removed and Doctors are fab and just put "post operative recovery" on sick note - in my mind its none of their business what I am having done! Everyone is different and we have had a thread on here about "to tell or not to tell!" I ended up having 4 weeks off, i thought I would be fine after 2 cos there really is no pain, but as someone else has said its the lethargy that really floored me - getting used to not having as much food inside you! I went back yesterday - shattered but makes the day pass quicker xx

I had no intentions of telling my Manager but last week I thought sod it I can do without the stress I would have been worrying about them finding out or something going wrong so just told them. They were lovely about it and been very supportive up to now. They are just waiting for me to tell them when now.

Ive planned 4 weeks off but will only take 3 as sick, as I dont get paid and have only saved enough for 3 weeks. Then I will take 1 weeks holiday. I'm thinking of using another 2.5 days holiday the first week back and just working mornings to ease my way back into the swing of things.

My company gave me all the backing I need. It was never discussed about time off. They just told me to take as much time off as I needed and do it all on the sick with full sick pay.

mine too........... i have 3 weeks annual holiday coming up in six weeks back to work for a week then have the bank holiday off ...........following day its the boys birthday and my op day

Thanks for all the replies im still gonna stick on three weeks and play it by ear and see what they say when all the details are nailed down.

At the end of the day if you have sick certificate there is not a company by law that can refuse the time off. I have been lucky and I have a really understanding boss who appreciates the benefits to the company of my having the surgery. This is NOT cosmetic surgery, this is surgery to essentially save our lives.

hi, i am office / desk based and had three weeks off before i went back to work and although i was ok pain wise i was still quite tired, it took about another two weeks to get back to full swing ( my op was key hole and this will make a differance if your op is open )

richard

Back