• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks today

H12

Will I manage

My biggest worry at the moment is all my life I have been overweight so you get used to the problems that come with that and you learn to live with it.Having a bypass I am up for all the changes I will have to make and will stick to them . I am just so scared I am going to feel ill for the rest of my life!! I have a active job and will I be able to manage. Any advice please.

Hi, I had my bypass July 2011 and have lost 9 1/2 stone....I have not felt unwell at all in fact quite the opposite...loads of energy and vest for life....you will be absolutely fine, it is the unknown that worries people but try not to worry too much you will soon learn its the best thing you ever did xx

What do you mean - will you be able to manage with what? The changes? The surgery? The being healthier? The being thinner?

And why do you think you're going to fell ill for the rest of your life? you mean after surgery or because of the surgery?

I'm not sure what surgery you're having - Im a bander, have had it now for 5 months, have lost over 6 stone in that time and feel better than I have for as long as I can ever remember :)

What do you mean - will you be able to manage with what? The changes? The surgery? The being healthier? The being thinner?

And why do you think you're going to fell ill for the rest of your life? you mean after surgery or because of the surgery?

I'm not sure what surgery you're having - Im a bander, have had it now for 5 months, have lost over 6 stone in that time and feel better than I have for as long as I can ever remember :)

hi
good to hear on your weight lose
but on on earth have you manage to lose that much weight in that time
i had band oct
and struggling to lose weight

kay xx

My biggest worry at the moment is all my life I have been overweight so you get used to the problems that come with that and you learn to live with it.Having a bypass I am up for all the changes I will have to make and will stick to them . I am just so scared I am going to feel ill for the rest of my life!! I have a active job and will I be able to manage. Any advice please.

Yes you do get used to the problems that come with the weight and yes you do learn to live with it .. until the next problem arises then the next and then the next. Then you realise that things you could do five years ago are now an impossibility and the reasonably good health that you thought you had just dosen't exist anymore. It is now impossible to do the job you love and have to give it up....
You sound like I did 10 years ago when I was but 9 stone lighter but still morbidly obese I was very active. I worked full time, went to the gym, cycled 50 miles every weekend. Why worry?.. Then I took ill and everything I had taken for granted disappeared. I often look back and wish I had taken my weight seriously before that point and if I was given the chance for wls knowing then what I know now i would be grabbing it with both hands!
The fear for what your future brings is natural I am right there with you. Yes we have to make changes to how we eat with healthier choices and yes there are risks in having a bypass but are we not playing a bit of a risk game being the weight we are?... Scared? you bet I am but I would worry if I wasn't ;) x

Meeting surgeon

I am meeting the surgeon for the first time at St George's next week I have already seen the dietician.
What goes on in this meeting? Do you see just the one surgeon or is it a team?
I am writing down questions I would like to ask, but any other thoughts please.
Thanks everyone.

my sugeons meet was basically just that. they discuss the operation say which they think is best for you, check your stomach and then ask if you have any questions. :)

Good Luck

It is a perfectly natural thing to worry, in fact you should worry more if you didn't worry haha.

As someone else said, I think it is the fear of the unknown that can worry us most sometimes.

Good luck with everything! :)

As above really :)
One other thing, and I don't know if this is too late, but try and record the meeting - I did it with my phone as I just knew I'd forget tonnes of stuff. Which I did!! haha

Have met the surgeon

Well l am just back from St George's, l have met Andrew Wan and he seemed very positive that he could help me. There will now be a team meeting about me and l should know in a few weeks what is decided. They seem to be really getting through the waiting list and he said there is only a few months wait, which was a bit of a shock to me!
My only surprise was that l might go in for a bypass but in the end come out with something else, if he is unable to do the bypass at the time, he could then change it to a sleeve or balloon, obviously l would have to give consent to this before hand. So now l will start researching the other options!
This has thrown me a bit because in my head l had a bypass sorted out. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Anyway lets be positive that he will succeed with the bypass.x

Well done for getting this far. I hope you are approved soon. I opted for a sleeve myself but do have an acquaintance who had been hoping for a Bypass but came out with a sleeve with the aim of shifting some of the weight before a bypass was pheasable / safe. In the end, she didn't need the bypass as she did really well with the sleeve. I believe this is quite rare though. Best of luck.

Hi,
I had same surgeon. I feel that he errs on the side of caution, so he pre-warns his patients that if he experiences problems with the bypass, they will continue to plan b.
I was very concerned and was desperate to hear after the op that a bypass was possible.

I took the view that if they have to do something else, then I am still one step closer to my long term goal... And their decision will be based on the best interest for my health.

Non the less, do the research so that you are fully aware of all the procedures.... But also note that the chances are slim of them not being able to do the bypass!

Take care,
SN

I saw mr wan, but ended up with mr reddy, both nice men, you may not have the same surgeon you saw. But yes if they are unable to do the bypass, the liver shrinkage may not work, the balloon or sleeve may be an option. After the last of my appts last year in April, I'd had the op beginning of August. 6 months on now best thing I've done, good luck on ur journey x x

I have a date!

Today l have received confirmation of my bypass, l am having the op on 15th July at St George's. Feeling emotional and excited at the same time!
Off on holiday next week so am really going to make the most of it.

Today l have received confirmation of my bypass, l am having the op on 15th July at St George's. Feeling emotional and excited at the same time!
Off on holiday next week so am really going to make the most of it.

Congratulations on getting you date. I have my bypass on monfay 3rd june and believe me time will fly it doesn't seem 2 mins since I was given my date. Hope you have a wonderful holiday and good luck with your op x

Congratulations H12!!! :) x

Brilliant - thrilled for you x

Back