• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Chance to Start Again

Mr Jumbulingham is really nice, but I completely understand your nerves because I felt the same! It's another step closer to surgery becoming a reality.

That quote is so perfect! Thank you for sharing it! I think it's the unknown about what to expect is what's bothering me and I know that I will eventually find a new normal.

Oh Bling, I'm so glad to know it's not just me! The last few days in particular have been bad. Anything sweet or rich or just plain too much I've wanted it and, as you said, mourned it. I don't know how well I'd tolerate stuff like that with the Roux-en-Y bypass. Dumping is far more common with it and to be honest, it's one of the reasons why I chose it instead of the sleeve. It seemed like a belt and braces approach to it. But, there you go, not everyone dumps, but I'd rather not push it to try and find out!
I also wish I could get rid of my sugar demons. My bypass bitch does kick me up the backside but not as much as I would like but I never regret this surgery ever xx

Pre-op went well although I was all over the place with the different departments I had to go to. Also, can someone please tell me why on earth their phlebotomy department moves at a glacial pace? My prescriptions were ready in under an hour. I didn't even get a chance to sit down in cardiology before they called me through for my ECG. Bloods? Nearly a flamin' hour and neither woman in there was in any kind of rush to get anything done! :flamingmade: I also had the group session today to discuss the surgery, which was pretty much stuff I already knew anyway. Now to while away the next two weeks...

Pre-op went well although I was all over the place with the different departments I had to go to. Also, can someone please tell me why on earth their phlebotomy department moves at a glacial pace? My prescriptions were ready in under an hour. I didn't even get a chance to sit down in cardiology before they called me through for my ECG. Bloods? Nearly a flamin' hour and neither woman in there was in any kind of rush to get anything done! :flamingmade: I also had the group session today to discuss the surgery, which was pretty much stuff I already knew anyway. Now to while away the next two weeks...
Excellent news and yes blood clinic is very frustrating. Sooo near now xxx

Sooooo exciting for you, phlebotomy is ridiculously slow when I was there there was standing room only. Xx

Glad all went well and sorry you were kept waiting so long. I had the same thing waiting for my echo though, I had to remind them i was there after waiting an hour!
So pre op stuff is just bloods and ECG and group session? I had an ECG and echo in January, do you think I will need another one? I have no idea what to expect at pre op. Prescription? What that what you have to take the day before your op?
It must be so exciting for you, mixed with some fear,,all normal, but suddenly feeling very real, those 2 weeks will whizz round x

Glad all went well and sorry you were kept waiting so long. I had the same thing waiting for my echo though, I had to remind them i was there after waiting an hour!
So pre op stuff is just bloods and ECG and group session? I had an ECG and echo in January, do you think I will need another one? I have no idea what to expect at pre op. Prescription? What that what you have to take the day before your op?
It must be so exciting for you, mixed with some fear,,all normal, but suddenly feeling very real, those 2 weeks will whizz round x

Yeah, phlebotomy is just the suckiest place ever in there, even though they've moved to a bigger ward. Still sucks.

I had an ECG back in February but they wanted another one. At the pre-op, they have you fill in more paperwork/medical history (because you've not told them your medical history 40 million times by this point), you have your MRSA swabs done and you're measured for your TED stockings and there's a weight check. I then saw one of the other nurses who finished filling out more of the paperwork as well as gave me my forms for the blood tests, the ECG and the prescriptions (blood thinner, anti-nausea and antacid). We had hoped to get everything done before the group session at 11am, but so much for that phlebotomy department! The group session pretty much covers everything you already know but gives you a chance to ask any questions you might have.

There's just a lot of rushing around on the day, but yes, it feels very real and at some point between yesterday and the day before, some part of my brain just kind of shut off the panicky voice. I think it's kind of point of no return thing, if you know what I mean?

I still just want it done and over with. I'm sick of all the trips there and feeling like everything in my life is on hold because of this surgery. Ask me on the day and the fear will have probably kicked in by then though.

Actually, @Bling Babe, I was wondering about the day of the surgery. What happens once you've been admitted into the surgical block? Are you whisked away and sequestered from everyone? Is there a waiting room? Richie and I are trying to figure out the logistics for the day and where he can go while I'm having surgery.

Actually, @Bling Babe, I was wondering about the day of the surgery. What happens once you've been admitted into the surgical block? Are you whisked away and sequestered from everyone? Is there a waiting room? Richie and I are trying to figure out the logistics for the day and where he can go while I'm having surgery.
Firstly you go to a large waiting area, it seems that a mixture of surgeries are there, definitely not just wls, your weighed and observation are done then you go back to waiting room until you get called back in to see Dr but I didn’t see a Dr it seemed to be missed, hubby with you all this time, then they call you into another room where you get changed into you gown, hubby still with you, then you come out of there, say goodbye to hubby :( and you go into a lift up to another smaller waiting area (I think this area is all wls but there was only 1 other person in there with me) there are lockers here for you bag etc) then you get called and walk through to theatre, I expected a anaesthetic room but no straight into theatre, hop onto the trolley, cannula in, off to sleep and wake up to the beginning of your new life. Hubby can wait in the hospital cafeteria or wander into town if he wanted to, they told OH they would call him when I was out but they didn’t, he called them xxx

Yeah, phlebotomy is just the suckiest place ever in there, even though they've moved to a bigger ward. Still sucks.

I had an ECG back in February but they wanted another one. At the pre-op, they have you fill in more paperwork/medical history (because you've not told them your medical history 40 million times by this point), you have your MRSA swabs done and you're measured for your TED stockings and there's a weight check. I then saw one of the other nurses who finished filling out more of the paperwork as well as gave me my forms for the blood tests, the ECG and the prescriptions (blood thinner, anti-nausea and antacid). We had hoped to get everything done before the group session at 11am, but so much for that phlebotomy department! The group session pretty much covers everything you already know but gives you a chance to ask any questions you might have.

There's just a lot of rushing around on the day, but yes, it feels very real and at some point between yesterday and the day before, some part of my brain just kind of shut off the panicky voice. I think it's kind of point of no return thing, if you know what I mean?

I still just want it done and over with. I'm sick of all the trips there and feeling like everything in my life is on hold because of this surgery. Ask me on the day and the fear will have probably kicked in by then though.
Thanks for the info, that's very helpful, because I had no idea what to expect. I know what you mean about wanting it over, the trips back and forth are a royal pain in the rear, but ultimately worth it in the end x

Firstly you go to a large waiting area, it seems that a mixture of surgeries are there, definitely not just wls, your weighed and observation are done then you go back to waiting room until you get called back in to see Dr but I didn’t see a Dr it seemed to be missed, hubby with you all this time, then they call you into another room where you get changed into you gown, hubby still with you, then you come out of there, say goodbye to hubby :( and you go into a lift up to another smaller waiting area (I think this area is all wls but there was only 1 other person in there with me) there are lockers here for you bag etc) then you get called and walk through to theatre, I expected a anaesthetic room but no straight into theatre, hop onto the trolley, cannula in, off to sleep and wake up to the beginning of your new life. Hubby can wait in the hospital cafeteria or wander into town if he wanted to, they told OH they would call him when I was out but they didn’t, he called them xxx
Thanks Bling I had no idea of this either, I assumed you would be in a bed first for some reason, think I've watched too much Fat Doctor lol, So up in the lift and walk into theatre, lay down and good night lol. My stomach just flipped thinking about it! x

Same as Bling but don’t take too big a bag with you as mine would not fit in the locker in the upstairs waiting room and as usual I took far too much stuff with me. Good luck lovely lady xxx Also they don’t always allocate you a bed until you are actually in theatre as beds are so hard to find but once your operation has started they defo have to find you a bed. I think Bling was told to hurry up into theatre in case she was cancelled and she had already had one cancellation xx

Thanks for the info @Bling Babe and @Maria61! I was only planning on taking the bare essentials since I'll only be there the one night.

Good luck for tomorrow, I hope all goes well, will be thinking of you xx

Sooooo excited for you @OkieGirl, good luck tomorrow, let us know your ok as soon as you feel up to it, will be thinking of you xxxxxx :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Good luck for tomorrow (technically today) Hun xx

Thanks guys! I still feel pretty good, I'm not really nervous and I'm hoping that lasts!

Yesterday I went shopping with my mom and sister and found an adorable DKNY white dress with black polkadots for £24 and couldn't pass it up even though it's a US 14 (UK 18). It just felt good to know that one day I will be able to wear it!

I'll keep you all posted on how I get on!

Thanks guys! I still feel pretty good, I'm not really nervous and I'm hoping that lasts!

Yesterday I went shopping with my mom and sister and found an adorable DKNY white dress with black polkadots for £24 and couldn't pass it up even though it's a US 14 (UK 18). It just felt good to know that one day I will be able to wear it!

I'll keep you all posted on how I get on!
You will fit it before you know xx

I went back over my paperwork and found out what the complication was. The left love of my liver was large. I followed the milk diet to the letter and lost over 10 lbs on it, so I don't what was going on. Mr. Jumbulingham went ahead and did the full bypass. But I'm feeling pretty good and taking things slowly.

I went back over my paperwork and found out what the complication was. The left love of my liver was large. I followed the milk diet to the letter and lost over 10 lbs on it, so I don't what was going on. Mr. Jumbulingham went ahead and did the full bypass. But I'm feeling pretty good and taking things slowly.
That's strange, maybe you had a very large liver to start with. I'm concerned because I lost 6lbs since they last weighed me and all this week the scales haven't budged a lb. Don't know what's going on with that. Glad you're feeling good all things considered. What do they give you in the hospital? Just water? Are you home now? x

Back