• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Plication - Sararob's Diary

sararob23

Well, I've done it! I thought I'd start a diary because I've been through so many emotions in the last few days I wanted to record them!

I had originally decided on a band for my choice of wls. I was a bit apprehensive about this because of all of the adjustments and refills so changed my mind when hearing of the plication. At this point I had only heard of the plication's as wraps which were mainly done in Europe but after a tonne of research I found out that Prof. Ammori was conducting the operation in Manchester. This made my mind up and I booked my consultation for later in the week.

Two months later I was booked in for the op. Up to a day before the op I was so excited with no nerves. A day or two before I started getting a little nervous but the excitement still won through. That was until I was lay in the anesthetic room about to go under. The emotions that went through my head were scary! I imagined never seeing my little girl again, I thought of the financial strain I had put us under to pay for the op and I thought can I give up my food, it's sad to say it but it had always been the most important part of my life it was my main thought, could I give it up? None of these thoughts had bothered me up to now, and the horrible dependence on food was the main reason I wanted the op in the first place. I just put a picture in my mind of my beautiful little girl and waited for them to put me under, but believe me I almost told them I didn't want it!

After being woken up I was pretty much in and out of it until the morning. I felt barely any pain or wind at this point so when Prof. came to see me in the morning he was happy for me to go home after lunch! That's when the pain started, the wind pain was terrible and my port sites were hurting from the moving around I was doing trying to get rid of the wind. The drive home was painful and since being home I have really struggled to get comfortable. I am happy enough knowing the wind pains will eventually go and I'm trying to move about as much as possible. I have been weepy in and off mainly after struggling to manage two sips of runny soup and hurting afterwards!

I'm setting myself some small term goals to keep me going. Firstly saying good bye to the wind! And secondly managing more than 1 sip of fluid at a time!

All the best X

Keep strong Sarah. I had the same op on same day as you with Prof Ammori - was in Room 212. I'm really lucky and am doing well with wind and pain and have been walking for 30 mins a day already, but am struggling with the FastTabs and drinking milk so am back at Spire later for different prescription. Take it slowly and listen to your body. It will get easier! Take care x

Well 3rd day at home I think I feel a little less wind pain as I noticed it shifting a bit more yesterday. I'm still very tired and have been very weepy, none of these are how I thought I would feel!
I think part of the reason I am so drained and down in the dumps is due to my period. It started 10 days before the op and has now become uncontrollable! I suspect this is down to the heparin injections so I'm not too worried.
I can't seem to drink anything thicker than water/nas so have tried concentrating on getting as much of that in as possible, although yesterday I had a small ice lolly and it went down much easier, but I could still only manage half.
I've found myself craving smells of food....I don't want to eat it but want to smell it, I think it is taste I am missing and can't wait until i can manage some soup!

Hi. I'm a newbie. Due to have my band end of nov but I am borderline on my bmi. 50 or could be a little above. Seeing the nurse nxt wk. worried how to get my BMi down. If I'm over 50. Does the price rocket?? Thanks

How you doing today Hun? Hope you're managing more fluid. I tried tinned low fat custard watered down with warm water yesterday - just the job! Keep smiling and think of the weight loss :) x

I have found my saviour....watered down apple juice with lots of ice. It's going down really well today! I am also having the odd fruit ice lolly. I'm a little scared to try anything thicker at the moment as I don't want to feel that full to sickness feeling.

My first weigh in today since the op and I've lost another 10 lb....WooHoo! :woohoo:
I'm finding it much easier to cope now, everything is calming down and I can actually wear a bra again!

That's fantastic Sarah :) Glad you're feeling better. I had a bad day yesterday but has my gallbladder removed same time a plication and it was that which was causing me pain. On the plus side I've also lost - 9 lbs. Happy days :) Take care x

That's fantastic Sarah :) Glad you're feeling better. I had a bad day yesterday but has my gallbladder removed same time a plication and it was that which was causing me pain. On the plus side I've also lost - 9 lbs. Happy days :) Take care x

Oh I'm sorry you have not been feeling as good. Hopefully you will feel better today. Well done on the weight loss :)

Whoops! Haven't really posted on my diary for a while! :sigh:

Well I seem to be settling into it. :)

Back to work this week :(

Was dreading this, not just because it's, well, work! but also because this is where I would eat for the sake of it....I wouldn't start till lunch but then I wouldn't stop until I was stuffed!

Managed all week on 100ml of puree something and a lf yogurt or custard and my obligatory milky coffee! I felt full all day and was really pleased with myself.

I did have a little trouble with my poorly incisions but after a trip to the Dr and some fantastic dressings I am much better :)

Went out with my family today, ordered a children's fish cake and mash for lunch, mushed it all up but unfortunately ate it too quickly....too much going on I wasn't really aware I was eating!! I had only eaten a quarter but I had a terrible stuck feeling in my chest so i definitely have my restriction! Note to self....pay attention when I'm eating!!

Had a really bad week this week :cry:
Not because of the wls but because of the nasty people in work! Thought I would have gone running for my comfprt foods, but I have infact not even turned to food at all :)

This meant an amazing 7lb off for me this week Yipee! :D

sararob23 said:
Had a really bad week this week :cry:
Not because of the wls but because of the nasty people in work! Thought I would have gone running for my comfprt foods, but I have infact not even turned to food at all :)

This meant an amazing 7lb off for me this week Yipee! :D

That's a fantastic loss Sarah ? Don't worry about nasty work colleagues - you had another victory by not turning to food. Go girl!

My scales are telling me I've only lost half a pound but am definitely losing inches ? I'm struggling to eat or drink anything at the moment except water, milky coffee and lf cheese triangles ? Disheartening to see scales not move but spoke to team and Jennie tells me it's physically impossible not to be losing given my calorie intake, but I'm not drinking enough so am retaining fluid. My weekend challenge is to get 2 litres of water a day down me!

Have a great weekend loser ? x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Why do people have to be so unpleasant……well done on your weight loss you're doing great….ignore the nasty people at work…they're so not worth it!!!!

XXX

Sorry to hear things haven't gone well at work, but as other's have said, well done on not turning to food, that's an NSV right there!!

I have been lucky that my GP's had me signed off from work, but I go back next wednesday and I'm dreading it so much I even started looking for new jobs to apply for, new me new start...or am I just running scared!

Hope you have a good weekend and next week things calm down at work. Stay strong x

That's a fantastic loss Sarah ? Don't worry about nasty work colleagues - you had another victory by not turning to food. Go girl!

My scales are telling me I've only lost half a pound but am definitely losing inches ? I'm struggling to eat or drink anything at the moment except water, milky coffee and lf cheese triangles ? Disheartening to see scales not move but spoke to team and Jennie tells me it's physically impossible not to be losing given my calorie intake, but I'm not drinking enough so am retaining fluid. My weekend challenge is to get 2 litres of water a day down me!

Have a great weekend loser ? x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Sorry to hear you are struggling with food. In the last couple of weeks I've managed to increase my food and seem to be managing most things OK!

In the weeks where I barely ate anything, I put on weight! I'm certain it was my body in shock, but my last 2 great losses prove that once your body realises that this is the 'norm' then it releases the weight it was keeping hold of!

Back