• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Plication - Sararob's Diary

sararob23

Sorry to hear things haven't gone well at work, but as other's have said, well done on not turning to food, that's an NSV right there!!

I have been lucky that my GP's had me signed off from work, but I go back next wednesday and I'm dreading it so much I even started looking for new jobs to apply for, new me new start...or am I just running scared!

Hope you have a good weekend and next week things calm down at work. Stay strong x

Oooooh I hadn't thought of that as an NSV.......but it is! :D

I'm sure you'll be fine when you go back to work! My issues are relating to faorness and I'd hope that my surgery wouldn't have anything to do with it, however only a couple of people were aware of my surgery before hand, but everyone knew when I got back! I'm not too bothered but I am getting sick of people asking how am I doing........knowing they're only asking for a gossip or waiting for me to slip up!

Saranne

I'm a newbie and just wanted 2 say hello, I'm also from north Wales, and booked in for bypass 8th October getting very anxious now x

SAS1

Hiya, really love reading your updates, I'm due to get my band in 3 weeks so learning loads from you :) by the way what is plication? I was never offered that option??? I'm also booked off from work for 2 wks, but not told anyone in work as they are all very critical and judgemental. Hope you are feeling much better today, and well done on your fantastic weight loss so far. X

sararob23

Saranne said:
I'm a newbie and just wanted 2 say hello, I'm also from north Wales, and booked in for bypass 8th October getting very anxious now x

Hiya! You'll get loads of great advice on here. And it's also a good place to talk about what's you're going through......noone understands better than someone whose already been there.

Good luck with you're op. Where are you having it?

sararob23

SAS1 said:
Hiya, really love reading your updates, I'm due to get my band in 3 weeks so learning loads from you :) by the way what is plication? I was never offered that option??? I'm also booked off from work for 2 wks, but not told anyone in work as they are all very critical and judgemental. Hope you are feeling much better today, and well done on your fantastic weight loss so far. X

Hi :)

The plication is another term for a wrap. They are mostly done abroad, I only know of 2 surgeons doing it in the uk currently but it expected to become really popular soon. Most other members on here have had it done in prague or similar places and have done excellent so as I was going private I set my mind on the op but being a scaredy cat I was worried about being abroad on my own so ended up paying a lot more for it in the uk.....might be daft but worth every penny :)

I expected people to ask questions when they found out and my close friends in work have been very supportive even if they were worried or outright didn't think I should do it. its the looks up and down or the comments about lack of willpower etc from the others that annoyed me .... These people have no concept about the sacrifices i will have to make forever or the will power not to self sabotage by eating the wrong things all Ive done is give myself the best chance possible to get my life back. If I remember that the rest can go over my head. Stuff em!

Hope your op goes well x

Saranne

Hiya! You'll get loads of great advice on here. And it's also a good place to talk about what's you're going through......noone understands better than someone whose already been there.

Good luck with you're op. Where are you having it?

Hiya! Than you so much, so glad I found this group :)
At spire hospital :) x

sararob23

Saranne said:
Hiya! Than you so much, so glad I found this group :)
At spire hospital :) x

I had mine at spire manchester with mr ammori.
If it's the same spire that you are going to, the staff are lovely! Thankfully one of the theatre staff was so chatty he kept me calm as I was lying there thinking I just wanted to jump off the table and go home! He took my mind right off it!

dejnablue

Sararob23, you should carry on with your journal as from what I have read, I am not the only one whose related to your journey... Would be great to hear from you...and gill..not to forget saranne whose OP was on Monday I think? ( hope I got the userid's ok and sorry if I forgot anyone)
I want to try to get my body used to less calories progressively so since Mary sent me the liver reduction plan, I thought I'd give it a go but even though the day always starts well, I end up eating mindlessly in front of TV all evening?! Thanks to PCOS, The more sugar I eat,the more sugar I crave!
Good job have got time to get to grips with it before I actually HAVE TO stick to it!
Can I ask what you pre-op experience was like?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy note

sararob23

Well been to see prof and the team today!
They were very pleased with my loss. As they aren't too sure what to expect as they don't have enough research.
Prof told me a little birdie had told him that I haven't been feeling much hunger....he was quite amused to have this bit of info on me! Haha!
I then told him about this forum and how we share information. I said I had sung his praises and deserved comission! Haha.
He has asked if it is ok for him to keep a close eyes on me, I think to gather as much info about what's happens following the op...apart from the weight loss. I think this will help greatly in bringing the wrap revolution to the uk! :)
I mentioned my possible dumping symptoms and it's likely they were a form of dumping, but he had not been aware of how likely this would be with wrap patients, so this could be another thing for him to monitor.

After chatting with prof I saw jennie and was told I have lost 23% of my excess body weight since the op! And my bmi has gone from 47 to 41! Wow!
She said from those figures my weight loss is following the path of a bypass or a sleeve not a band as may have been expected......this is all great news for any wrappers!

Gillykit

Sounds like Prof is really pleased with your progress. Well done you :) I'm not sure they'll be quite as pleased with my loss when I see them next week, you've done fantastic! So who is the little bird then? x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

sararob23

Sounds like Prof is really pleased with your progress. Well done you :) I'm not sure they'll be quite as pleased with my loss when I see them next week, you've done fantastic! So who is the little bird then? x

I'm sure they will be pleased!
I think as they have done so few of us they are unsure what to expect, so were expecting closer to the average of the band as they are both restrictive ops, I think they were please as it is closer to the sleeve and bypass!

Not sure who....but I was quite amused that my reputation has preceeded me! :p

Gillykit

Lol To your reputation ;) You said you'd experienced dumping type symptoms. How often and any particular foods? I've had a dodgy belly all day after eating scrambled egg - but never had it before when I've had the same meal. Weird!

Wobbletogo

Likes to read
What are the dumping symptoms?

As for wrap history, it's been around for 10 years in the states and 4 years in other parts of Europe, so Prof Ammori either hasn't rad much research, or is tracking more his own results than that of the wrap in general.

sararob23

Gillykit said:
Lol To your reputation ;) You said you'd experienced dumping type symptoms. How often and any particular foods? I've had a dodgy belly all day after eating scrambled egg - but never had it before when I've had the same meal. Weird!

I had a nesquick milkshake on liquid stage. Half way through I suddenly got hot, sweaty and dizzy. 10 min later I had stomach cramps and had to rush to the loo. More lately ive had similar symptoms from hot chocolate. Apparently as out stomachs are smaller if we have something sweet, especially liquid, it can rush to ours intestines and give us a kind of sugar high! I was told it can happen with other foods especially carbs and more often if you haven't eaten ford a long while.
Its not very common unless youve had a bypass but can obviously happen to us with this op!

sararob23

Wobbletogo said:
What are the dumping symptoms?

As for wrap history, it's been around for 10 years in the states and 4 years in other parts of Europe, so Prof Ammori either hasn't rad much research, or is tracking more his own results than that of the wrap in general.

he is aware of the other research, but mentioned he has not conducted his own for the plication. He likes to advise his patients based on the facts and figures he has collated from his own research and advises us that he does not yet have enough to guarentee a particular type of result for the plication.

Gillykit

sararob23 said:
I had a nesquick milkshake on liquid stage. Half way through I suddenly got hot, sweaty and dizzy. 10 min later I had stomach cramps and had to rush to the loo. More lately ive had similar symptoms from hot chocolate. Apparently as out stomachs are smaller if we have something sweet, especially liquid, it can rush to ours intestines and give us a kind of sugar high! I was told it can happen with other foods especially carbs and more often if you haven't eaten ford a long while.
Its not very common unless youve had a bypass but can obviously happen to us with this op!

I had the same on liquid stage with a probiotic drink. The not eating for a while situation strikes a chord as I'm not sure about you but I need to eat regularly or get an empty feeling. It's not the same as hunger used to feel and a drink works to get rid of it, but first thing in a morning I'm worse, and when I've had any "dumping" it's been from something I've had in the morning. I don't get the sweats, just the cramps and needing the loo but it can be up to an hour after eating/drinking Oh it's all a learning curve! Tried meat (ham) for the first time today with some veggies - definitely more restriction :) x

misselvis

Hi. I'm a newbie. Due to have my band end of nov but I am borderline on my bmi. 50 or could be a little above. Seeing the nurse nxt wk. worried how to get my BMi down. If I'm over 50. Does the price rocket?? Thanks

hi
i was told if my BMI was more than 50 would have to go to another hospital where there was I T unit
costing me another £2000
lucky got it down

kay xx

sararob23

Gillykit said:
I had the same on liquid stage with a probiotic drink. The not eating for a while situation strikes a chord as I'm not sure about you but I need to eat regularly or get an empty feeling. It's not the same as hunger used to feel and a drink works to get rid of it, but first thing in a morning I'm worse, and when I've had any "dumping" it's been from something I've had in the morning. I don't get the sweats, just the cramps and needing the loo but it can be up to an hour after eating/drinking Oh it's all a learning curve! Tried meat (ham) for the first time today with some veggies - definitely more restriction :) x

Yeah its a bit of a guessing game to begin with! I get the empty feeling, but as you said a drink cures it!
How much do you seem to be eating a day? I'm having about 4 meals a day now, small ones!
I had a little bit of gammon the other day with some veg, it was so moist it went down lovely!
I'm trying to introduce new things all of the time. I had a goan veg curry the other day, it was delish but so hard to leave it when I had enough!

Gillykit

sararob23 said:
Yeah its a bit of a guessing game to begin with! I get the empty feeling, but as you said a drink cures it!
How much do you seem to be eating a day? I'm having about 4 meals a day now, small ones!
I had a little bit of gammon the other day with some veg, it was so moist it went down lovely!
I'm trying to introduce new things all of the time. I had a goan veg curry the other day, it was delish but so hard to leave it when I had enough!

I'm trying to keep to 700-800 calories a day on average, some days I've had up to 1000 intake but have done more exercise to keep overall to the 700-800. I'm trying to have 3 small meals and a couple of snacks - but to be honest I only snack when I'm at home (old habits :( ) I've eaten out three times this week and have had to guess the calories but have found I only want a snack for my next meal so hope this has balanced the calories out! I'm also trying to introduce new foods and bought the Hairy Bikers diet cookbook for some inspiration!

dejnablue

sararob23 said:
Well been to see prof and the team today!
They were very pleased with my loss. As they aren't too sure what to expect as they don't have enough research.
Prof told me a little birdie had told him that I haven't been feeling much hunger....he was quite amused to have this bit of info on me! Haha!
I then told him about this forum and how we share information. I said I had sung his praises and deserved comission! Haha.
He has asked if it is ok for him to keep a close eyes on me, I think to gather as much info about what's happens following the op...apart from the weight loss. I think this will help greatly in bringing the wrap revolution to the uk! :)
I mentioned my possible dumping symptoms and it's likely they were a form of dumping, but he had not been aware of how likely this would be with wrap patients, so this could be another thing for him to monitor.

After chatting with prof I saw jennie and was told I have lost 23% of my excess body weight since the op! And my bmi has gone from 47 to 41! Wow!
She said from those figures my weight loss is following the path of a bypass or a sleeve not a band as may have been expected......this is all great news for any wrappers!

Wwoow...Well done you...I must confess that when Pf Ammori said he would recommend bypass due to my PCOS, I did mention you?! saying one of his recent plication patient with PCOS is doing really well and not hungry so might b me?? Even though I had no name, I doubt he does that many plications on PCOS ladies since he advices the bypass and sleeve first...Glad u doing well though dumping syndrome is worrying me a bit as I already suffer from it?? Might drop him an email?
Take care n keep posting x

Sent from my Samsung galaxy note