• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Chance to Start Again

That's strange, maybe you had a very large liver to start with. I'm concerned because I lost 6lbs since they last weighed me and all this week the scales haven't budged a lb. Don't know what's going on with that. Glad you're feeling good all things considered. What do they give you in the hospital? Just water? Are you home now? x

I'll probably get a bollocking, but what can I say? I did what I was supposed to. Besides, they got it done anyway.

Immediately after surgery, they give you a tiny paper cup of water and once you're on the ward there's a small jug of water on your bedside table that you can help yourself to. During the day there's a girl who goes around offering drinks and you can have tea and coffee and there's even chicken stock on offer for lunch.

I got home on Thursday evening and was really happy to be home although my mom and sister haven't been as much help as I would have liked and my kids keep disappearing over to my mother in law's house. Oh well.

I'll probably get a bollocking, but what can I say? I did what I was supposed to. Besides, they got it done anyway.

Immediately after surgery, they give you a tiny paper cup of water and once you're on the ward there's a small jug of water on your bedside table that you can help yourself to. During the day there's a girl who goes around offering drinks and you can have tea and coffee and there's even chicken stock on offer for lunch.

I got home on Thursday evening and was really happy to be home although my mom and sister haven't been as much help as I would have liked and my kids keep disappearing over to my mother in law's house. Oh well.
I’m pleased your safely home and taking it easy, you were lucky to get a drink in recovery, I had a b#*!h of a recovery nurse, I went to theatre at about 2pm so I’m guessing I was in recovery by 5pm....she refused to give me a drink until 10pm and even then she joked with another nurse about just how little I was going to get.....it was 10ml in a syringe!!
Keep on sipping and maybe give you mom and sister a nudge in the helpful direction xxx

That's strange, maybe you had a very large liver to start with. I'm concerned because I lost 6lbs since they last weighed me and all this week the scales haven't budged a lb. Don't know what's going on with that. Glad you're feeling good all things considered. What do they give you in the hospital? Just water? Are you home now? x
Try not to stress about the scales, your liver will be fine, I’m soooo excited for you xxx

I went back over my paperwork and found out what the complication was. The left love of my liver was large. I followed the milk diet to the letter and lost over 10 lbs on it, so I don't what was going on. Mr. Jumbulingham went ahead and did the full bypass. But I'm feeling pretty good and taking things slowly.
Hiya @OkieGirl
Congrats on your op & well done with making a good recovery. I also followed my pre op diet to the letter (lost 9lbs) but was shocked to read in my notes that I had a "severe fatty liver". We all carry our fat differently I guess but the main thing is they went ahead with your surgery & you'll be tackling the fat left in your liver, like me, as you lose weight! xx

I’m pleased your safely home and taking it easy, you were lucky to get a drink in recovery, I had a b#*!h of a recovery nurse, I went to theatre at about 2pm so I’m guessing I was in recovery by 5pm....she refused to give me a drink until 10pm and even then she joked with another nurse about just how little I was going to get.....it was 10ml in a syringe!!
Keep on sipping and maybe give you mom and sister a nudge in the helpful direction xxx

Oh my gosh, Bling that's bloody awful! How rude! I didn't get into the OR until after 2pm but they were all so very kind to me. I must have taken a long time to come around though because I didn't end up on the ward until gone 8pm. My only issue on the ward was a woman in the same block who pretty much did nothing but shout and holler all night about how she needed to call her daughter, she had wee'd/poohed herself, how the nurses were really cruel. She never once used her call button, all the rest of us had to do it for her.

My husband, bless him, has been getting really mad about them. My mom just seems far more concerned about Jennifer doing some sightseeing rather than trying to help me out. To be fair, I am doing well, but I do still need some help. Speaking of teh hubby... because I was so far gone after surgery, I never got a chance to call him to let him know I was on the ward. He got freaked out because he couldn't get any information on how or where I was. He finally was told that I was on the ward, but when I did finally speak to him the next day he got choked up and ever since he's been so considerate and has said over and over how glad he is that I'm here. I think it had bothered him far more than he even let on, poor guy.

Hiya @OkieGirl
Congrats on your op & well done with making a good recovery. I also followed my pre op diet to the letter (lost 9lbs) but was shocked to read in my notes that I had a "severe fatty liver". We all carry our fat differently I guess but the main thing is they went ahead with your surgery & you'll be tackling the fat left in your liver, like me, as you lose weight! xx

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me that it's happened to. It did worry me that when my surgeon came to see me right before surgery that he couldn't remember seeing me in clinic, however he did ask that if my liver was too large to do the bypass if it was ok to do the sleeve, which I told him yes, I just wanted it done now. So, now I'm just sipping and trying to keep up on everything and trying to figure out what full feels like. I'm not hungry at all, which is totally weird and awesome. I said to my husband this morning that I can look at food and appreciate it aesthetically but I don't want it. :D

But you're coping alright though I hope on your own. My daughter is taking a few days of to be here, but I feel it'll be the same for me, she'll probably keep disappearing lol. How was the journey home? Not too uncomfortable I hope. I'm dreading it, my daughter drives like she thinks she's Stirling Moss lol.
Thanks for the info hun, is very helpful. I still can't believe mine is about to happen, I won't believe it until it actactually happens I think. I hope you continue to have a good ride x

Oh god, I hope I don't get her, what was that all about? :( x

Try not to stress about the scales, your liver will be fine, I’m soooo excited for you xxx
Thanks Bling, I'm get a little bit more excited now, but still feel like it's not happening, can't explain it, I'm weird lol x

Oh god, I hope I don't get her, what was that all about? :( x
I know she was so nasty to me, even when I wanted more pain relief she said “well the only thing left now can put you into respitory (spelling?) arrest so well have to do your obs every hour”
She gave me a little pill to dissolve in my mouth, I begged to set my lips because I couldn’t dissolve it as I was sooooo dry but she wouldn’t give me anything!! Xx

Oh my gosh, Bling that's bloody awful! How rude! I didn't get into the OR until after 2pm but they were all so very kind to me. I must have taken a long time to come around though because I didn't end up on the ward until gone 8pm. My only issue on the ward was a woman in the same block who pretty much did nothing but shout and holler all night about how she needed to call her daughter, she had wee'd/poohed herself, how the nurses were really cruel. She never once used her call button, all the rest of us had to do it for her.

My husband, bless him, has been getting really mad about them. My mom just seems far more concerned about Jennifer doing some sightseeing rather than trying to help me out. To be fair, I am doing well, but I do still need some help. Speaking of teh hubby... because I was so far gone after surgery, I never got a chance to call him to let him know I was on the ward. He got freaked out because he couldn't get any information on how or where I was. He finally was told that I was on the ward, but when I did finally speak to him the next day he got choked up and ever since he's been so considerate and has said over and over how glad he is that I'm here. I think it had bothered him far more than he even let on, poor guy.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me that it's happened to. It did worry me that when my surgeon came to see me right before surgery that he couldn't remember seeing me in clinic, however he did ask that if my liver was too large to do the bypass if it was ok to do the sleeve, which I told him yes, I just wanted it done now. So, now I'm just sipping and trying to keep up on everything and trying to figure out what full feels like. I'm not hungry at all, which is totally weird and awesome. I said to my husband this morning that I can look at food and appreciate it aesthetically but I don't want it. :D
Aw bless his heart, such a shame that mums not being very helpful though, please take it easy @OkieGirl, I was lucky enough to have a single room which was amazing but I didn’t get there until about 11.00pm, all the other staff were amazingly helpful though xxx

I know she was so nasty to me, even when I wanted more pain relief she said “well the only thing left now can put you into respitory (spelling?) arrest so well have to do your obs every hour”
She gave me a little pill to dissolve in my mouth, I begged to set my lips because I couldn’t dissolve it as I was sooooo dry but she wouldn’t give me anything!! Xx
What a horrid woman!

What a complete bitch, did you complain about her? I'm so angry reading this xx

Aw bless his heart, such a shame that mums not being very helpful though, please take it easy @OkieGirl, I was lucky enough to have a single room which was amazing but I didn’t get there until about 11.00pm, all the other staff were amazingly helpful though xxx
What time was you admission @Bling Babe @OkieGirl, mine is 11am, just trying to compare times x

But you're coping alright though I hope on your own. My daughter is taking a few days of to be here, but I feel it'll be the same for me, she'll probably keep disappearing lol. How was the journey home? Not too uncomfortable I hope. I'm dreading it, my daughter drives like she thinks she's Stirling Moss lol.
Thanks for the info hun, is very helpful. I still can't believe mine is about to happen, I won't believe it until it actactually happens I think. I hope you continue to have a good ride x

The trip home wasn't too bad, actually. The worst part was if people suddenly would brake causing Richie to brake dramatically. He was a good boy and reined it in for me on the way home though. It also helped us a lot that with it being the Easter school break, the motorways weren't as busy as they usually are which meant we were able to knock almost 1/2 an hour off our journey time... until we hit the stupid Cambridge roadworks. :mad: By the time we pulled into our drive I was ready to be in my house and in a comfy seat though.

But you get a pain patch in surgery which lasts a week which seems to be doing the trick for me. I've not had any of the codeine and I've not had any paracetamol today, although I think I'll have some before bed. Honestly, for me, the pain has been very manageable. In fact, I feel really quite good tonight and have managed to stay awake all day and get a few light chores done as well as do my mom's nails.

What time was you admission @Bling Babe @OkieGirl, mine is 11am, just trying to compare times x

I had to check in at 11am and had surgery about 2:30ish. I'm not sure what time I went to recovery, but I was on the ward somewhere around 8pm. There are such huge chunks of that afternoon that are a nothingness! lol

I had to check in at 11am and had surgery about 2:30ish. I'm not sure what time I went to recovery, but I was on the ward somewhere around 8pm. There are such huge chunks of that afternoon that are a nothingness! lol

The trip home wasn't too bad, actually. The worst part was if people suddenly would brake causing Richie to brake dramatically. He was a good boy and reined it in for me on the way home though. It also helped us a lot that with it being the Easter school break, the motorways weren't as busy as they usually are which meant we were able to knock almost 1/2 an hour off our journey time... until we hit the stupid Cambridge roadworks. :mad: By the time we pulled into our drive I was ready to be in my house and in a comfy seat though.

But you get a pain patch in surgery which lasts a week which seems to be doing the trick for me. I've not had any of the codeine and I've not had any paracetamol today, although I think I'll have some before bed. Honestly, for me, the pain has been very manageable. In fact, I feel really quite good tonight and have managed to stay awake all day and get a few light chores done as well as do my mom's nails.

So the M25 & M1 wasn't quite as busy then, I was wondering this myself, being Easter hols, You really are doing so well, it's so good to hear, fingers crossed I manage to feel the same .x

Thanks hun, at least i have a rough idea now. I can imagine you are pretty out if it that first day, probably just as well lol x

What a complete bitch, did you complain about her? I'm so angry reading this xx
No I didn’t which is not like me, I was probably to excited to be starting the rest of my life xxx

Again I'm feeling really good today. My wound sites are starting to yellow, so the bruising is now dissipating. I think I might be able to get all my water in today since I took my water bottle to bed last night. I did weigh this morning, but the scales haven't moved much since the day of surgery, but I'm not too worried. Something is changing. I've noticed that going up and down the stairs is far easier already which is awesome. Also, last night when I went to bed I just felt so good emotionally! It's like not only has the physical weight been dealt with, but I just felt this lightness within me. This morning I had a couple tablespoons of Skyr yogurt, which tasted really good and it's not made me dump like the SlimFast and Complan did. So, onward and upward!

Back