• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A very uplifting day, if I do say so myself !!

Hello Hun, Remember me? Karen, the girl who had the bowel problem. I am so pleased your home if onlyfor an interim period. I bet your hubby is too. Good luck for Friday petal, hope they have some answers.Did the new dressings not work then?

I am doing ok. Obviously, it takes time doesn't it and when its not straightforward it takes that much longer. My trouble is I am so inpatient! I am bored to death at home, I just want to get back to work. The good news is I have lost 2 stone 1lb since my op on the 10th June, so you are right, it is sooooooooooo worth it. Have you heard anything from any of the other ladies who were in with us?
Anyway, sending you a healing prayer and hoping Mr Khan can do something special for you petal.

speak soon

Karen

Hello Karen. Its super to hear from you and I'm so pleased about your weight loss.

Both Anez and Leslie post on here (Nezzy and Topsy), they are both doing well and bet they would love to say hi. I also saw Joanne posting somewhere and know she is doing extremely well.

I know what you mean about being bored. Right at the moment I'm dying to go swimming with the grandkids but thats not going to happen for a while methinks.

Any news on that grandchild yet and are you taking it easy on the sun lounger while they all wait on you hand and foot? I hope so...lol

I contacted PALs yesterday (thanks to Terri, isn't she wonderful), and within an hour Bernice (Mr Khans sec was on the phone). I also went to see my own doctor who rang around to see what she could do. Our own hospital are flatly refusing to have anything to do with it so she rang Walsall, was rather short with them and left her personal number with the threat of going to to GMC if nothing is done.

Bernice said that Mr Khan was off yesterday but she would talk to him today so we'll see what transpires today. I've got an appoinment with them tomorrow morning anyway so taking a case and going to refuse to move unless its dealt with tomorrow anyway.

Its all fun and games isn't it but hopefully it will all come alright in the end.

bonita hope you get sorted keep in touch and let me know whats going on speak to you soon xXx

Just to let you know i'm thinking of you Bonita - hope something gets sorted so you can get your life back and really enjoy that lovely family of yours. Hugs with fairy dust xx

Finally think I've got somewhere today. Turned up for the clinic at 10.40am as arranged but didn't actually get to see anyone until gone 12 noon, there were such a lot of pre-ops there and only two of us for the dressings clinic so we had to wait until the end.

Mr Khan was lovely as usual and more than a little cross that I'd been through all of this, so they bleeped the tissue viability nurse who instantly agreed to fit the Vac dressing. Then came the argument as to who should fund it. Hubbie got really mad when one of the doctors said that my local hospital and nurses should do it and pointed out that it wasn't them that the PCT sent the funding too but to Walsall.

Thats when we discovered that ultimately the decision stays with Anna and the reason that they wouldn't admit me was because Anna refused to fund the bed. Anyway after a lot of arguing we agreed to go back to the hospital as an outpatient three times a week until the local district nurses brush up on their training which Walsall have agreed to fund.

So I get the dressing fitted on Monday and it should take roughly 3/4 weeks to work, but without it they said I could be months and months before it heals. The other guy that was waiting had his op on the 9th of Aug last year and is still visiting the hospital every week to have it dressed. Didn't fancy that...lol

I'm feeling much happier today, they also changed the antibiotics because they felt they weren't doing the job and could be the reason I've been having problems keeping things down and have also given me some Antihistamine (<spelling..lo) in an effort to stop the dressing agrivating me.

What am I like... :sign0163::8855::giveup::D:D

Glad to hear that you are OK Bonita and that the dressing is on, but Im appalled to hear that they seem to be more concerned about the financial implications rather than your wellbeing.

You should definitely be thinking about a complaint once you are on the road to feeling better and have the strength to deal with it.

So pleased you are finally going to looked after and sorted out. 3-4 weeks sounds much better than months. Good luck on Monday and take care.

glad to hear things are moving in the right direction now but im appaled at the way youve been treated and how money seams to be their first priority. if i was booked in there i would serously be having second thought now not because something went wrong because i know thats the risk we take but because threr after care seams nonegsistant they take the money to do the work so they should be prepared to make things right if needed

At last you have got something moving - hope once the dressing vac is fitted everything goes more than well and you catch up on all the time wasted from Walsall. Sending hugs with fairy dust to aid your healing process xx

At last you have got something moving - hope once the dressing vac is fitted everything goes more than well and you catch up on all the time wasted from Walsall. Sending hugs with fairy dust to aid your healing process xx

Thanks Lesley (and everyone else).. I hope this works because I have some serious dancing to catch up on if we ever do all get to hit the town...lol

'What am I like' you asked. You are a very brave and very patient patient, lol. You have been through the mill and back and have been treated at times abysmally. I am glad your GP took a firm line, she/he is probably horrified, and glad that you have eventually got funding for the vac dressing. I cannot believe Wallsall disclaimed responsibility, like it or not the blame lays firmly with them, I know you cannot foresee what is going to happen post op, but the least they could have done was be accountable and get this sorted out quicker.
I have'nt been on the board for a little time as had visitors staying and was horrified to see you were still having to put a case for treatment for your wound break down, disgusting.
One of the surgeons Iused to work with liked to granulate(heal) all his very large wounds from the inside out, and although they were very successful they took forever to heal and were high maintenance.
You shouldnt have to be asked to do that nowadays.
I asked before if you were told what the wound was infected with, did you find out Bonita??
Anyway I am delighted you are on your way to getting the treatment you should have had originally, and I think Walsall is damn lucky you are not sueing them.
Take care my friend my thoughts and prayers are with you

Jay xx

aww hun im pleased ur sorted now .. i had a bad time of it also i was in 2 weeks with all kinds of issues ..

but im good now thankfully ..

good luck with the rest of it hun xx

Its not the best place in the world to spend any length of time is it Brett? I'm glad your ok too now though.

Jay the infection was a Proteus which I'm guessing I contracted on the ward as they are normally hospital infections or so I'm led to believe. Granulating was what Anna was pushing for. I'm told that with good maintainence they do heal well but take forever and I'm not sure I wan't to be like this forever.

I had plans to go over to Spain for a few weeks as soon as I'm able, have to sort out my late fathers estate, thats one of the reasons I'm pushing to get this sorted asap, I've got things to do and need to fly quite a bit so can't really afford to put my life on hold like this forever...

Went to Walsall yesterday and had the machine fitted at last. Its a bit of strange affair, Joe the tissue viability nurse cut some pieces of sponge and fitted them inside the wound, she then covered them with some gauze and then more sponge.

Then she put a strip of sponge in a line across my stomach and into the wound, saying that she didn't want to put the machine straight onto the wound because its still so sore. She then fitted the machine onto the end of this strip of sponge, secured it with some see through plastic adhesive sheets to make a seal and switched the machine on.

It felt really weird at first because it instantly sucked almost my whole stomach in, but its not at all painful. I was worried about how I was going to get on with it at home but so far its been fine. It didn't get in the way of sleeping last night and the dressing for some strange reason is the first one that hasn't brought me out in lots of lumps and bumps.

The only problem I have found is that I have to keep plugging the machine in to charge it, which takes a couple of hours so I have to watch that and make sure its fully charged should I need to go out at all.

The machine itself is handbag size and has a handle so that I can sling it over my shoulder when walking about, but there is a very long piece of piping that goes from my belly to the machine which does get in the way from time to time.

Anna and Beth (the ward sister from ward 11) both popped in to watch while Joe fitted the machine in case they had to do it at some point and both commented on how much weight I've lost. Beth said from behind I wouldn't have recognised you, bless her.

Anyway all in all I'm feeling so much better, my wound isn't hurting because I don't have a wringing wet packing in it making me sore and I know hopefully this is going to speed my recovery so I'll have a life back soon. The only downside is I can't work out how I can go out into public with this on because the gunk going down the tube doesn't look very nice. You would have thought that they would fit opaque tubes on these things not clear ones. Also every five mins or so the machine farts, which has highly amused my grandsons!!!!! lolol:D:D

Bonita, just wanted to say how much utter and complete respect I have for you! You seem like such a lovely person, I so enjoyed reading about your BBW modeling and your passion for life in another thread. It breaks my heart that you have had to suffer so post-op, we all know things can go wrong but it has been really rough on you. You have been so brave and frankly, I am amazed at how strong and determined you are. I am not sure I could have faced things head on and with your composure.

I am wishing you lots of success and hoping you heal super fast now that you have your vac wrap to help you. And what is a little farting machine between friends???:p

Nic:D

Hi Bonita, so glad you finally have the help you need. Your machine sounds pretty nifty. Hope you are not in pain. x

Hi Bonita - at last a result it is about time they got things sorted and i am so glad it is all underway now. I'm sure it won't be too long before you are all sorted and healed up. Take care sending hugs with fairy dust xx

Oh bonita I am so so pleased you have your vac dressing in place now it will make such a difference and will heal the wound much quicker now. Laughed at the thought of you worrying about going out in public after all you have been through, though you might want to show off your 'designer' bag as lets face it there arent many that come with a built in 'fart' lol, thats a good description of the noise Bonita. Anyway glad you are more comfortable and more at peace.

Jay xx

Oh bonita I am so so pleased you have your vac dressing in place now it will make such a difference and will heal the wound much quicker now. Laughed at the thought of you worrying about going out in public after all you have been through, though you might want to show off your 'designer' bag as lets face it there arent many that come with a built in 'fart' lol, thats a good description of the noise Bonita. Anyway glad you are more comfortable and more at peace.

Jay xx

Thank you Jay, but as lovely as my little fart box is I think I'll keep it behind closed doors for the time being. Besides I'm sure its getting louder.. Its more like a really loud belly belch now...lol.

Today went to Walsall to have the dressing changed by the gorgeous Helen one of the tissue viability nurses, if any of you ever get to meet her, she is absolutely adorable. She contacted her friend who is a tissue viability nurse in our area and has agreed to take over my care next week should I need it.

Now talking about needing it. When she took the dressing off today we all sat there in shock. Just two days with this dressing and the hole is about half the size it was two days ago, no redness and none of the yellow mess. It looks really clean now and is healing really well.

She made the dressing as small as she can so that I can get to work on the scars from those ugly tension stitches with the Bio Oil. Its amazing how well your body can cope with these things and just how quickly it can turn around isn't it.

Another thing we noticed is that I was skipping up and down the stairs with very little effort and no pain at all. Way hay, now I'm wondering why I left it so long to get this done in the first place.

With a bit of luck if I keep improving at this rate I can say goodbye to my little fart box at the weekend, hows that for fast healing....:D:D

Back