• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All booked and now on that road of no return

In my case I'm sure it was the granola and I was beginning to live on it and like all addicts it was becoming a bad habit .. It's has that wonderful crunch and sweetness and with Greek yogurt it's just amazing lol ..
So back to basics for the last 2 days which has actually made me feel fuller and more settled I myself .. I sure do need rules in my life it seems !
How addictive that granola and natural yogurt can get! I make my own granola with a little honey and powdered sweetener to keep the sugar levels down, with all the other ingredients, can hardly taste the sweetener.

@countrywench ,
Yeah...i have been known to eat loads of Granola too. I switched to M&S luxury Muesli ...but too be honest, i don't think that's much better. But its better than my usual binges on crap.
Really hope you get some nice weightlosse's soon. You seem very stong and determined. It is extremely hard to change ...but hopefully it will get easier in time.
You've done great so far!
Good Luck x
Toni :rainbow:

My energy level has dropped like a stone .. Just like the beginning of the pre op diet actually .. So I know it's the carbs leaving my body again , also I am peeing like a race horse again lol ! Last night I had to get up and pee 5 times ! Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to fit a catheter so I could sleep all through the night ! It's actually exhausting though and I just want to lay in the bed and watch TV all day ..
My knees are killing me also .. Aching and just generally sore and so hard to walk around without leaning on something .. The pain is making me so bad tempered as well ... My Tramadol intake is up also so I'm not happy about that but I can't function so it's a necessity .. I know at my weight , I am far away from away from getting help surgically with my knees so there's no point going to see the doctor until I've lost at least another 4st .. So it's just something I am going to have to live with until then ..
The good news is I just got on my scales ( Sunday morning ) and according to them I've lost about 4lbs ! And I am finally in the 20st bracket .. I havnt seen any scales flash 20st for about 10 years I bet ! 20st 10lbs ! So the weight is moving again yeeehaaaa !
So am looking forward the official weigh in on Wednesday in Boots ..
I think I may just get myself moving and get out in that sun .. Take a trundle on my mobility scooter round to Matalan and maybe pop into Costa and have a coffee .. Need to get out in the garden to and dead head .. I love that job !
We've been busy in the garden the last couple of weeks .. We lifted the old patio slabs an re arranged them into a chess board effect and filled the gaps with blue slate stones .. It's looks very effective .. Also planted a few plants I between the gaps to soften it all up ..
We had a large metal curtained gazebo that was over our hot tub , the curtains all rotted and it's to expensive to replace them , so we moved the metal frame to the top of the patio and I have planted roses and clematis at each leg .. Doesn't look much now but in a couple of years the roses will scramble up and over along with the clematis and make a lovely place to sit and drink tea or read .. We also had some picket fence made for 2 of the sides which kind of encloses it to make a corral type look .. I will take some pics of the garden later and post them ..

My post makes it sound like I'm feeling a little down in the mouth , but I am far from that lol ! I've never ever felt like this during any diet to be honest , have you ? By now I would have given up weeks ago and gone back to my old habits .. My band is deff the tool and the godsend I needed and I am so grateful ..
Mindy
Xx

Hi Mindy,
Sorry to hear about your energy levels, And your aching knees. Can't be easy. But you are donig doing so well. Just hold on to that. Well done for your good loss this week ...getting into a stone below, is great feeling isn't it!
The garden sounds lovely, can't wait to see the pics!

I look at it this way .. I'm under going an incredible change .. Something I've yearned for .. A little drop in energy and some pain is just par for the course while I'm heading in the right direction .. its all good !
Xxx

Have a good look at what your having to eat and drink, weather plays a part!

Drink nas squash for the sweetness over the summer
Try going to homemade vegetable and fruit based drinks to help vitamin level
An odd cracker/thin with ham, small potion of salsa
Eggs, eggs and more eggs try making the little omelettes in muffin tin letting them go cold and you have some brilliant snacks

A sneaky well done on that loss :)
I know what it's like to live with chronic pain too and I think a big part of coping is down to attitude. @countrywench as always you are realistic and that's the biggest thing. I view my conditions as a balancing act so yesterday I went for a decent walk. It meant taking tramadol on top of the morphine patches I wear all the time and like you I don't like doing that but I need the exercise. Even losing weight means I'm losing bone density which my consultant now thinks will push me into osteoporosis at least 10 years earlier than originally anticipated but for me the benefits of losing weight outweighs that.

You've got a lot going on in your life as well as you body and head and I'm glad you're talking to us about it. I believe you're not down in the mouth :) and I know you've had the pain in your knee on and off for a while. Do you think the heat is playing a part too? It certainly makes me feel more tired and sort of swollen!

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi Beep thanks for the suggestions ! I've written them down in the back of my food diary :)
Fee I think the heat,summer etc does make you sluggish doesn't it .. I found though I have coping with it a lot better than say last year .. Sweating is less I think .. But I did find a product on Amazon , via YouTube , called Odaban .. It's spray that stops execessive sweating .. I put it on my forehead, nape of hairline and top lip and also lover spine and it does work :). It can irritate and make my face itch a little but no redness or anything .. If it gets to itchy then I simply wash it off .. I was sick to death of my fringe getting sopping wet and the back of my hair just getting drenched , it's embarrassing ! Well now with this product , I don't have to worry :)

A few pics of the garden .. We've worked hard on and it's coming together .. The climbing roses should make it to the top of the gazebo legs before summers out hopefully ..
Tip on climbing/rambling roses .. Always try and tie them out horizontally or wind them like a spring if you can round poles etc , this way the Rose will push hundreds of buds out along the length instead of just one bunch of flowers at the top of the stem ..
My baskets are the best this year , probably due to the late summer and some cooler days so they have grown slowly and produced a mass of frothy flowers ..
The cat is my hearts delight , Alfie ..

Last edited:
Your garden is beautiful :)

What a lovely garden you have. I live in a basement flat. Like, Puddytats said....not too jealous at all...lol x
Even though the garden is lovely....your cat is even lovelier! Plan to get a couple of cats eventually. Im after to ginger toms. Would prefare a dog, but landlord wont allow dogs due to the fact they let the rest of the house out, as summer lets...and a dog would be too noisy...fair enough i suppose.
I always feel sluggish in hot weather, And i always want to eat more in summer too.
Toni:rainbow:

Thank you ! I must admit I do like to mess about in the garden and hubby is pretty good at getting stuck in out there .. But I cannot get him to do work inside the house for love nor money .. Even to get him to pop a lick of paint is like pulling a tooth .. I bought a beautiful ceiling light from IKEA 3 weeks ago .. It's still in its box and hubby has been on holiday for 2 weeks of that :mad:

I have 2 sons who have their own painting and decorating business ...
Last week I was redecorating my front room !!!!!!
When they came round they told me off for doing it ....
I replied I've been asking one of you for 6mths ...
I feel your pain @countrywench lol xx

Fee that sounds really interesting !
It was my support team who put the addiction word in my head actually .. I had never thought of food that way before .. I just thought food was so pleasurable and made me feel calm and comforted .. The lure of a pot of Ben and Jerry's is still extremely strong some days let me tell you , but I now know it's a drug .. Plain and simple .. It's my drug of choice along with anything sweet , high in fat , carbs , crunch , sweet and salty .. It's all my drug of choice like heroin is to a druggy ..
It's just that these drugs are everywhere and acceptable ..
Look at donuts , covered in beautiful pink or chocolate icing , lovely on the eye and they taste so sweet and the texture is sublime .. But eating one isn't enough is it .. I would buy 4 if I was feeling holy that day , 10 if I was staying on my bed for the day watching a film .. And isn't it easy to just shove one in your face , not a dainty bite , just a damn great mouthful that you don't even really chew , but swallow quickly so you can get another one in your mouth ..
I can't have just one scoop of ice cream , and I find it strange and bizarre when I hear someone has had an open pot of ice cream in the freezer for a long time .. I'd devour that tub in 10 mins flat and be reaching for another if I had one ..
That's how addicted I am to bad foods ..
I cannot go back to even a bite because I'm scared I will get out of control again
On the face book forum I see some of them saying that we have to live , that not eating certain foods isn't practical or real life .. That we all need ' treats ' .. I can't think of those foods as treats any more , they are my addictions
Some are still drinking .. A drink of wine to me triggers eating , does it you ? One glass at the pub a few weeks ago sent me spiralling into 2 bags of salty peanuts without a thought .. One after the other , I couldn't stop ..
So now I know about alcohol being another trigger ..
I admire people who can control what they eat , stick to 4 squares of chocolate and half a slice of cake .. I can't ..
So it's easier , or getting easier , for me to steer clear of those foods and be so strict with myself or I know I will fail and come off the wagon big time ..
You'd find me locked in a broom cupboard with my ice cream , donuts , crisps , bread and chocolate , snarling at you and daring you to try and take it from me lol !
I might just get this book next week and see if it makes sense ..
Xxx

FeeHutch, a great artical. I shall be getting that book myself.
I already have:
  • 'Crave' (Why you binge eat, And how to stop) by Cynthia M. Bulik
  • 'The end of Overeating' by David A . Kessler

Oh ... @countrywench ,

That could have been me writing that. I was a binge drinker too, up til 2 years ago. I can't have 1 glass of wine...i want the whole 3 bottles for £15 offer. Or a whole bottle in a pub (simply because, it was cheaper by the bottle). And, just today...even though ive not binged on chocolate, cakes, biscuits ...my 'trigger' foods...I'm eating too much fruit. Opened a 400g fresh strawberries ...only intending to eat 4 or 6 ..about 100g....nope ate the lot! ...Because they're loaded with sugars still. So i think ...once ive eaten the fruit i have left... ( big tub of chopped melon) ...Im not buying fruit in anymore. As i think them strawberries ..have left me wanting ...choc, biscuits and cake. The strawberries themselves arn't that bad...but it what the sugar in them has done to me...leaving me 'craveing' more sugar! Grrrr.
Nice to know someone gets it.
Thanks, for been honest in your posts.

Your garden is looking lovely, I can imagine the climbers covering the posts and making it lush in the next few summers.
Sorry to hear about the knee pain, you're being stoic and coping well in my opinion, well done.
Interesting concept this food addiction - when I mentioned this idea of being addicted to sugar and carbs my gp said it wasn't really useful to look at it that way as food is essential in a way that recreational drugs or alcohol are not and to look at it more as a disorder than an addiction in the traditional sense. I feel although there is a distinction between disorder and addiction in the medical sense, it's a bit academic as far as our bodies are concerned.
We done on the weight loss too!:)

I'm glad you found it interesting. From what I can tell she says to identify 'trigger' food and cut those out completely.

I don't feel I am addicted to food. I had a very dysfunctional relationship with food for various reasons a large part of which is rooted in neglect and abuse in childhood. Food was routinely denied and then forced on me. I have spent a long time in therapy working through this. I haven't cut out any food because it's not the food itself that causes me to eat too much it's the emotional stuff going on and that's how my distress expressed itself. Interestingly when I was severely restricting my food to a dangerous level back in my late teens to early 20's I would end up eating if I drank too much and that was the only time I eat. I haven't drunk for a long time now in large part because my brain surgeon told me it would raise my risk of becoming very seriously ill again and also because it interacts with a lot of my medications.

Referring to food as an addiction tends to divide mental health professionals because unlike illicit drugs or alcohol we do need to eat in order to live as your GP said @nafpnd . Professionally (I work in mental health) I work with whatever the person themselves feel is true for them. I have read more than once that sugar is as addictive as heroin for example so I can see why people make the link.

So for me I can manage to have a couple of squares of chocolate and not have the urge to eat a whole huge bar of it. For you it feels safer not to even touch certain foods. I don't think either of us are wrong or right, we are just individuals :)

Back