• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The start of my diary .......

NorthV71

I had my band fitted at 4pm on Saturday 28th September, and I think this day will go down as one of the most frightening and exciting days of my life!

I am now 5 days in and feel OK, but then I don't really know what to feel. Was lucky enough not to have too much wind pain and my scars are healing nicely. I must admit I feel hungry but finding the liquid diet alright, I am not counting calories but when I did look am consuming around 500-700 per day. I am finding sleeping a little uncomfortable as I am frightened to feel the port as I lay down. I don't have my first fill until 6th November, my band is currently empty and I have been told its a small one (what ever that means)

I have 2 young children and a Husband which I cook for, and work full time shift work (which does not help food wise)

I am and will work really hard to make this work as failure is not an option.

Some advice would be great as other than reading this site (which is amazing and there are some amazing people here) I don't know anyone who has has a band fitted.

All together since my journey stared on the 14th September I have lost 11lbs - which now makes me 15 stone 12, I would like to get down to 11 stone 7.

Thank you for reading the start of my diary, I wish you all good luck and send lots of positive vibes your way.

Viki

Hiya Viki! Sounds like the op went well for you. There is so much support on here, it's an amazing site! :)

I had my band fitted on the same day!
At 1pm!

My scars are nice! Bruising nearly gone, pain very manageable.
I'm having 2 pints of milk a day, lots of squash and one can of soup (sieved).

But I haven't been for a number two in 9 days now. I really feel like I need to go but I'm so constipated.

Other than that, all good, and my first fill is on the 5th November!

Good luck

I have been OK poo wise, been everyday ;)

Been having a milky hot choc, fruit smoothy, a milky coffee and a soup in a day. I really feel like food now though, and have hunger pains.
Think I need to up my fluids.

Viki

Hi Viki

Welcome to the boards and banded life :)

As for advice is there anything you want help with particularly?

I will say follow your providers guidelines, they should be your first port of call if you've concerns and also not to compare your losses with others as the journey is very unique to us all.

I love my band and am now 13 months out, 10 stone down, but loving it :)

Frankly - try some dulcolax for the constipation, tablets are tiny so no problem getting through the band, but 9 days isn't good!

Top-Kat

You sound amazing considering your lack of restriction from the band.
My main concern is re slippage, how will I know if my band slips?

And also is it normal to have no fill in the band after surgery and how many ml's is a small band?

Thank you for your time everyone, and Franky have you tried milky coffee, coffee tends to get things moving!

Viki

I have a large band, but there was nothing put in it during surgery. Different surgeons do things differently.

a lot of providers, mine included do not put any in the band at the time of a fill, it allows things to settle. My own provider does their first fill at 5 weeks.

A small band will be either 10 or 11 ml size normally, your provider will confirm what size you have if you don't have access to your discharge papers or info :)

Slippage is not actually that common.

:)

Hi Viki, I'm only a couple of pounds lighter than you, and looking for the same weight loss (ideally I'd like to get to 10st 7, but that's a bit ambitious!). I'm 5'7.

I was only banded 9 days ago and can't wait for the liquid diet to be over!

I've got a 10ml band and it's empty, my first fill is on Oct 28th.

I look forward to comparing notes with you as we seem pretty similar!

Good luck :)

Banderbird

I am also 5ft 7inches.
I don't know about you but I feel back to my normal self, I am sticking to the liquid diet but feel the need for proper food.

One more week to go and then onto mushy!

I weighed myself tonight and I am now down to 15stone 10 :)

Hope you are doing OK.

Viki

the hunger feelings will come back and you may feel ready for the next stage, bug do follow the guidelines. Not doing so is what may contribute to slippage or band problems.

But it's a sign the swelling is going down and you're healing :)

Top_kat, I will stick to it but don't know how I will cope with this feeling of hunger.

Have been having soup in the evening but felt so uncomfortable last night after a few mouthfuls its put me off.

Banderbird

I am also 5ft 7inches.
I don't know about you but I feel back to my normal self, I am sticking to the liquid diet but feel the need for proper food.

One more week to go and then onto mushy!

I weighed myself tonight and I am now down to 15stone 10 :)

Hope you are doing OK.

Viki

Very similar indeed then! I'm 40, and wanted to do this sooner rather than later.

I've not weighed myself yet, I'm too scared I've not lost anything lol

I'm absolutely fine, back at work and recovering very well. I'm finding the liquid diet very boring now though and I'm hungry! However I'm sticking to it until Tuesday because I don't want any issues. Just a few more days....

All the best xx

Top_kat, I will stick to it but don't know how I will cope with this feeling of hunger.

Have been having soup in the evening but felt so uncomfortable last night after a few mouthfuls its put me off.

It is hard, can be really hard when the feelings kick in and I relate to he hunger ones as I've been battling for restriction it's those feelings of hunger which have been the worst.

With the discomfort are you getting a feeling of it sitting above the band? As if it isn't going through and then getting like a pain in that area or is it as if you've taken it in too quickly?

Do you get those feelings if you have soup earlier in the day? If not it could just be the restriction of the band being different for you - it could be worth having the soup earlier and then perhaps a thick milky drink in the evening. It's so much trial and error with the band and the foods/drinks you can have and it tends to change almost daily, then after fills and when you lose weight lol

:)

Only 4 more days left on the liquid diet - hooray!!!!

I have not found it as hard as I thought it would be just feeling really hungry now and ready for the next stage. I am so focused and feel totally healed. I am also ready to start some exercise!
I have also discovered willpower I never thought I had in me - I took my Daughter to an Italian restaurant, she had a meal and I had an orange juice. I also took my Son to McDonalds and I sat with him with nothing!
Not feeling bloated, full and guilty for not eating the right foods feels great - does that make sense??

I found eating soup late in the evening not a good thing for me, so having it for lunch feels more comfortable. I am also having to slow down as think I am drinking too fast as I can sometimes feel like I had trapped wind.

It's great reading all your diaries, getting advice and tips.

Thank you for reading, keep up the good work :)

Day 3 of mushy food and I feel hungry! Only eating breakfast and tea, can think of what to eat for lunch?

Spoke to the dietitian today who reassures me I am doing everything right, roll on 6th Nov for my first fill.

I have the same problem with lunch and I'm on week 2 of mushies now! I'm having smoothies, Actimel, fruit tubes and something like cottage cheese or mackerel pate. Bit weird but fills a hole.

Good luck with it!

Back