• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone under Luton & Dunstable hopsital

Hi I am alive.had time from hell.worse hospital stay ever. When I am better I will explain. I can't swallow due to pipe down throat during op causing me like a big blister so can't breath or swallow. Can't get more than a sip down and I am bloated and in pain.can't walk very fast. They neglected me at hospital and Dr barrack was not happy. I don't want to drink as it hurts. Went out bought throat spray to numb throat and calpol 6+.. Feeling sorry for my self x

Thats really bad. Hope you are on the road to recovery now... take it step by step. Cant imagine what a blister in the throat is like..

Glad your all doing ok, Luluah you really do need to drink more fluid otherwise you will get dehydrated and end up back in hospital, just sip all day, use a straw if you find it hurts as you tend to take smaller sips with a straw.
Well done all :) :) :) :)

Im writing a log today so I monitor intake and can push myself a little more.

How do you all manage the senna tablets.. Do you take them whole or grind them?

Luluah, i havent taken the senna tablets, i baught dulcolax liquid it works very well, senna does nothing for me.

Bedford, really sorry to hear about your awful time, are you home yet? Just keep sipping hopefully it will all settle down soon and things will get easier, bug hug xxx

I am at home can't get motivated. Trying to sip water. Senna tablets were huge.had them broken up but its getting them down the throat.might send oh to chemist again.when will I fancy eating. Were u all this bloated that u could only manage a sip every 30 mins x

Hello Bedford2015 , firstly were you the lady that was rolled out as I was coming round in HDU , you wished me good luck and said youd see me on the losers bench , unfortunately I didnt get a good glimpse of you as it all happened fast , Secondly im sorry to hear you were neglected , must have been very hard for you , I will say that on the whole most of the staff were fantastic but after one shift change the staff that came on didnt exactly look after me well , I had to wait 4 hours for painkillers , I had trouble getting in and out off bed but was ignored and one particular nurse virtually blanked me all of the time .......as I was being transfered one of the nurses came up and appologised for them not giving me the care I needed , so they must have know , But on the whole the majority of staff were great , I hope you get the relief for your throat that you so badly need asap ,

Luluah, i havent taken the senna tablets, i baught dulcolax liquid it works very well, senna does nothing for me.

Yeh it says 2 per day but i tried one whole and caused pain and discomfort so havent bothered since... mum said i should try lactulose but wasn't sure whether we can tolerate it or not....

I came home yesterday. 1st night was difficult as I got alot of pain through the night. Although i slept upright. I seemed to slide down the bed and bending to get out was hard. Woke my poor hubby up twice to help me. Silly me I hadnt stayed on top of pain relief yesterday but have today and also got some beside me if I wake in pain tonight. I had about 100ml of slim fast today and about 50 ml of soup with milk as i was day 3 and some flavoured still water. Still not drinking enough though as sheets say 1.5 litres and im probably at 500ml maximum in the day. Don't feel hungry or fanciful at all. Scales said im a kilo more than I was on op day which annoyed me ? but im still so bloated, sore and bruised that I dont think scales will show a true reading until start to heal a bit. So Ive decided to not weigh and just follow what the instructions for a week/10days and go from there... Hope everyone is enjoying their new journey. Although Im struggling with pain etc I am so super excited to see the results in the future that I am very positive.... the next phase is in our hands.... lets work at it... wooop!! Claudia- Connie (HCA) was in my bay the other day and she was saying how much she loved you and you made her smile/giggle. Sounds like ur a right laugh.. shame we didnt cross paths... :)

Luluah,

Ha ha I love connie, she's by miles the best nurse ever!! I can't wait til I'm up and about im going to go see her lol!!
I was in no state while in ward 22 I moved to cobham. I'm now still at home bed bound as ive got a tennis ball sized haematoma under my right side incision and cannot move with the pain!! Bloody joys ha ha! I do try and bring some sunshine and laughter THO lol!

I still think we should all have a summer get together as the luton and dunstable gastric group lol!! Xxxx

I would love to join you in the summer get together but once my 6 week check is over and OK'd my husband and I are off to Sweden for 3 months in our Motorhome. Have put travel on the back burner for the last 18 months in order to follow the Tier 3 programme. Now it's time, try holding us back.

Not doing too bad, getting drinks down plus smooth yogurt, even got some custard down today and various blitzed soups. Have to concentrate on the amount I swallow cause if something else is on my mind, I have swallowed too much and can feel it. Just something I have to get used to.

Sorry to hear you have a haematoma Claudia, but pleased that it will sort itself out eventually. Take care. Hugs.

Hi Fatbloke it was not me. Yesterday I thought was a good day I managed to eat a Ramacan of tomatoe soup and a mug of bovril then drank a little juice throughout the day till 2pm then I suffered. I went out for a ride in the car to buy a sun lounger wearing my pjs, I was not getting out of car so I got away with it. Then all of a sudden it felt like a stitch pain which really really hurt and got more painful so when I got home I thought I would try the morphime the hospital gave me it worked but then made me very sick and dizzy and zombified for over 6 hours, won't be trying the again. God claud you are in the wars. My throat still has that giblet looking thing it when wont go. I can't bent over without it making gag or when I brush my teeth I reach. I am up for it the catch up .xx

Ok Bedford 2015 , I just wondered who it was , she said about joining her on the losers bench so I honestly thought it may have been you , she said she was on here too !!!! Omg a trip out in your Jim Jams , what if youd broke down ha ha ha ..........looks like your coming along nicely ......im having same trouble if you gulp any thing to fast your stomach dosnt waste time in telling you it dosnt like it , I can sit here sipping Bovril , soup , water etc no problem but iv this annoying habit when I drink coffee ,,...I sip most of it but seem to gulp the last bit in the mug and then really pay for it big time !!!!! I tried a low fat custard last night just for something different .......managed about 2/3 of a small pot before it became too sweet n sickly , Dont know about you biggest problem at moment is constepation , what with all these pain killers , Slim fasts etc , absolutely thrown my sleep pattern all over the place as im in so much discomfort at night , tho thankfully any pain from internal bruising has virtually gone ............have decided im not going to weigh myself until I go back to clinic in Mid May .....just dont want to be obssessed with jumping on n off scales every single day ......coz if your struggling with sickness etc and then lose no weight itl be demoralizing ...............hope your coping well

I was given Senna tablets but they were too big for me to swallow so bought Senna liquid. That's crap but if I am not getting anything in there is nothing to come out. I struggled with taking the big bag of medicine they gave me on discharge. After struggling I read the leaflet we were given at hospital at pre- op we don't need all that till a week later. I am dreading it. Can't believe I have a carrier bag of drugs, when I was not on any before. Xx

I got some dulcolax liquid for constipation it works a dream, its only the calceos (calcium), ferrous sulphate (iron), and Lansoprazole (antiacid for 3 months) and your injections for two weeks, the bag full looks daunting but irs not to bad.

Youl be fine , if youv got the injections you only take them for about 2 weeks , the phosphorus you only take for a few days on coming out ,....theres a couple of others you have to take for life ........I have to take nearly 40 tablets a day at the moment and where as I used to take a load in one go , now I have to take a few at a time and with a sip of water each time it starts to become hard work and takes a while .............so if youv only a couple im sure youl be fine .........thing is is your body needs em post op to keep going ......just dont panic and take your time

Luluah,

Ha ha I love connie, she's by miles the best nurse ever!! I can't wait til I'm up and about im going to go see her lol!!
I was in no state while in ward 22 I moved to cobham. I'm now still at home bed bound as ive got a tennis ball sized haematoma under my right side incision and cannot move with the pain!! Bloody joys ha ha! I do try and bring some sunshine and laughter THO lol!

I still think we should all have a summer get together as the luton and dunstable gastric group lol!! Xxxx

Im up for a summer gathering... we wont even have to make a big picnic as we wont be eating alot lol.....

Sorry to here about the haemotoma. How is that treated? Are you managing fluids etc...

Pain relief wise I have been taking temgesic which is an opoid med but ive cut down the amount as pain is getting better. Still take 2 to get through the night though as really struggle mobilising 1st thing. Also I mived from the diagusting soluble paracetamol to the 6plus calpol as I can stomach it easier.

Ive been increasing fluids since last time I was on here and monitor it so I can get it in evenly and not gulp too much.. a cup of tea is lasting me about 2 hours though... so have to reheat it hahahaha...

I have had some LF yoghurt and also LF custard.... both have been ok. Normally i have half a pot at once but takes a while to go down... and then not having fluids for 30 min before and after....

I gave up on senna and infound lactulose too sickening sweet so have smallmtablets Bisocodyl....

I have been out in PJs lol... barely out of them at first... done journey home from hospital in jimjams... and been over to parents a few times in them too... but have dressed for the last 2 days... hehehe

Cant believe its a week since it was done...

Pain is still quite bad inside but dont know how much of it is related to adhesions Mr Jain had to try and split before he could attempt the bypass... my wounds are looking ok I ended up with 7 but they are all dry and healing good. Still bloated...

First thing my 5 year old neice said was 'your not skinny yet'.. lol I think she expected me to come out like a catwalk model... hahahahaa

I used 6 plus calpol, even brought some into hospital when i had my surgery, soluble paracetamol makes me puke.
I didnt need much pain relief though, only had a couple of doses of calpol in hospital and once after i got home, didnt need anything else, guess I was lucky.

I used 6 plus calpol, even brought some into hospital when i had my surgery, soluble paracetamol makes me puke.
I didnt need much pain relief though, only had a couple of doses of calpol in hospital and once after i got home, didnt need anything else, guess I was lucky.

Wow Im really impressed :)

Back