• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded 2016 - My journey

Neticak

Hi everyone. My name is Sara and I decided this year that I would get a gastric band. I have been back and forth for a round the last two years trying to decide whether I should do it and after many lengthy discussions I booked in at THG with Mr Halstead on 7th Feb to have it done.

I wouldn't say I struggled with my weight my whole life. I got married at 18 and had my son when I was 19, I was around a 12-14 after I had him and when I was 22 I had my daughter, managed to get to about a size 14 after her and was happy. I then began working when my daughter was 6 months old and life became ridiculously busy. Karate, swimming, football, baby ballet etc taking over my evenings when I finished work and I got into some really bad eating habits. My weight over the next 5 years just kept on creeping up and up.

I then set up my own business from home and this just made it even worse. I was up at 7am, some nights wasn't in bed until gone 3am and when I did get chance to eat it was rubbish.
Once the business settled into a routine and I moved it from home and into premises with staff, the kids were a a bit older and little bit more independent I tried everything - WW, SW, the gym, swimming even hypnosis. Then around 2 years ago my mum was discussing a friend of hers who had had a band fitted and suggested I have a look into it.

My weight was on my mind constantly, every night in bed I would think about it and it was all consuming. I had a consultation with THG in 2013 and was just so scared of having surgery I never scheduled the surgery.

I decided last summer to sell my business which gave me some much needed time off. I joined a gym, got into a good routine from June last year. Then me and my husband started a new business venture in October and the gym went out the window, and the weight I had lost I put back on by Christmas. I went back to thinking about my weight all the time, becoming really depressed and worried about the health implications that my weight could lead to. I needed help so started looking at the bands again and booked myself a consultation with THG. I paid the deposit at the consultation and was booked in 2 weeks later on the 7th Feb at Dolan Park.

Now I am 5 weeks post op and feeling really positive. I went to the gym today for the first time and had a swim, my husband has employed someone to open the office so that I can get the gym before work.

I knew that having the band would be life changing but I didn't realise that my outlook towards food and my health would change so drastically. I know it's early days and I'm sure that I have a lot of obstacles ahead but for right now, I am in a good place and feeling as though having the band was the best decision for me.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post! xoxo

Monalisa

Hi Sara nice to read you story hope your journey is a good one I too was banded by mr halstead at THG but due to many unfortunate problems I have just recently converted to a sleeve so am now embarking on my second wls journey wishing you good luck Xx

niccie

Hi everyone. My name is Sara and I decided this year that I would get a gastric band. I have been back and forth for a round the last two years trying to decide whether I should do it and after many lengthy discussions I booked in at THG with Mr Halstead on 7th Feb to have it done. I wouldn't say I struggled with my weight my whole life. I got married at 18 and had my son when I was 19, I was around a 12-14 after I had him and when I was 22 I had my daughter, managed to get to about a size 14 after her and was happy. I then began working when my daughter was 6 months old and life became ridiculously busy. Karate, swimming, football, baby ballet etc taking over my evenings when I finished work and I got into some really bad eating habits. My weight over the next 5 years just kept on creeping up and up. I then set up my own business from home and this just made it even worse. I was up at 7am, some nights wasn't in bed until gone 3am and when I did get chance to eat it was rubbish. Once the business settled into a routine and I moved it from home and into premises with staff, the kids were a a bit older and little bit more independent I tried everything - WW, SW, the gym, swimming even hypnosis. Then around 2 years ago my mum was discussing a friend of hers who had had a band fitted and suggested I have a look into it. My weight was on my mind constantly, every night in bed I would think about it and it was all consuming. I had a consultation with THG in 2013 and was just so scared of having surgery I never scheduled the surgery. I decided last summer to sell my business which gave me some much needed time off. I joined a gym, got into a good routine from June last year. Then me and my husband started a new business venture in October and the gym went out the window, and the weight I had lost I put back on by Christmas. I went back to thinking about my weight all the time, becoming really depressed and worried about the health implications that my weight could lead to. I needed help so started looking at the bands again and booked myself a consultation with THG. I paid the deposit at the consultation and was booked in 2 weeks later on the 7th Feb at Dolan Park. Now I am 5 weeks post op and feeling really positive. I went to the gym today for the first time and had a swim, my husband has employed someone to open the office so that I can get the gym before work. I knew that having the band would be life changing but I didn't realise that my outlook towards food and my health would change so drastically. I know it's early days and I'm sure that I have a lot of obstacles ahead but for right now, I am in a good place and feeling as though having the band was the best decision for me. Sorry for the ridiculously long post! xoxo
well done, you won't regret it X

Neticak

Thanks ladies.

Monalisa if you don't mind me asking why did you end up getting a sleeve?

Monalisa

Long long story but had a lot of acid Reflux problems ended up with a pouch which caused a slip had the band repositioned but then got oesophagul dilation if you read the beginning of my diary goodbye Bertie band hello Sid sleeve it gives you full tale I've been through a really rough time but if you asked would I do it all again yes I woukd which is why I decided to have a second surgery good luck x

Neticak

Thanks monalisa, read your diary sounds like you've really been through it.

I have my first band fill appointment on Monday. I'm a little nervous about it. I've tried to feel around for my port around the big scar on the left but can't find it!

Am I right in thinking i have to go back to liquids and mushy after the fill?

X

Monalisa

Hi
You can't always feel it below the skin so don't worry and you do have to go back to liquids and mushies after although rules can vary a bit with each provider. Good luck Ull be fine x

Neticak

Thanks monalisa. I'm as ready as I'll ever be!

So I weighed in today and since the day of my op (7th Feb) I've lost 9kg. I tend to loose from my face and boobs first so can see a difference there and some of my clothes feel a bit looser.

I've got my first meal out since the op on Saturday at an Indian restaurant so any tips on what to order would be appreciated! Never thought I'd be thinking so much in advance about what I would order!
Hope everyone had a great weekend
Xox

Monalisa

Well done on the weightloss at the Indian I used to have a poppadum as a starter and then try and share a curry and have plenty of sauce naughty but nice x

Last edited:

Lollyowen

I'm 7 weeks post op and I went for first girlie meal out this weekend the rest of the table were just having mains so I ordered two starters so I had two plates like the rest of them, I ordered aloo gobi and chicken tikka I managed half of chicken and ate the cauliflower out of the aloo gobi and left the potato wasn't half bad at all #relieved X

Neticak

Thanks for the tips ladies. I think it's just the thought of being seen eating. I'm going with my sisters and partners, they know I've got the band and have been really supportive but I think I'm just so conscious of eating differently now it's a little nerve racking.

Just had my band fill, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be! The nurse suggested that if I was nervous about it to order something a little softer as when you're stressed it can affect the band. Thought that was a good idea too.

Had 3ml in with nothing in after the surgery. I'm hoping to keep up with swimming twice a week and starting some cardio at the gym. I need to keep up my motivation though as in the past it easily disappears ;)

xox

Neticak

Checked with the nurse re my weight when I went for my consultation which was 9 days before my op and since then I've lost 1.6 stone... yay!

Neticak

Thanks ladies.

Feeling very positive today. Last year I kept on seeing people in straight leg tailored trousers (skinny minnies) and thought they looked fab so I'd buy a pair for work. When I looked at them in the store the waist looked big enough to fit (size 16 no chance) Got them home and of course I couldn't get the ends to meet at the top. I never returned them and they went in my wardrobe to my 'when I loose weight section'.

I found them this morning and they fit! They are a little snug but I'm sat here ar work wearing them feeling like a million bucks :) So I've dropped about 2 dress sizes. Wish I had taken measurements of my waist, legs, arms etc as would like to know in cm how much is coming off. I've never been too fixated on the weight just the clothes size! If I can manage to find a tape measure that will be this weeks mission.

Hope everyone else is having a great day too ;) x

lalole

Jax
Hi, just wanted to say well done on the weight loss so far and good luck for the futre, I was banded with THG to in September, weight was coming off slowly at first but speeding up now, so happy I had it x

Neticak

Thanks niccie and lalone, I usually get to this point in losing weight and treat myself by going out lol. I can't believe how differently I feel now, it's just motivating me more and making me more determined to get my arse to the gym and eat well. Although saying that my lovely son made scones at school today so I had a nibble never before have I only eaten quarter of anything.

Off to try find a tape measure now, I know I saw it somewhere x

Neticak

Haven't had chance to post for a while so thought I'd give a quick update as to how i've been getting on. My weight loss has steadied out since my last fill on the 14th March. Since my op (7th Feb) to today i've lost a total of 1.9 stone. To be completely honest I am a little disappointed I've not lost more but it's better than nothing I guess :)
Before having to op i knew the band was not going to magically make me a size 8 but i was optimistic that i would be the ideal bander. It's taken me these last few weeks of slow weight loss to realise that the band is just an aid and i need to be more active to get the best out of it. My portions have drastically changed and I am eating healthily, I am so conscious of having issues with my band I keep my portions small as I worry about slippage, erosion etc.

My downfall is being active. I started off well going swimming (here is where I would usually make excuses as to why I can't go) but I haven't been for 3 weeks now. My previous constant thinking and guilt about food and weight has been replaced with guilt about going to the gym. I think I need to learn to put all my crap aside (i'm too busy, kids, business, tired) and get onto it. My mission from now until my next post is gyming it at least twice a week.

My next fill is on Monday so hoping that that will help with the hunger i'm experiencing late afternoon.

Hope everyone is well xox

blossom11

Sounds like you're doing really well to me!

Try not too beat yourself up (I'm great at that one!!).

I also find exercise difficult...going to try and find something I really enjoy and hopefully that will motivate me.

Maybe just check the gym is something you really enjoy...If not try and swap it for something manageable and fun...just a thought...and something I need to do too!!

Sending lots of love and congratulations. Sounds like you've really got your head round the band x x x