• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Colposcopy

hopelesscase

Just as i thought i was getting a life i have had my smear test results back ( it took 3 smears over a period of 9 months to get a reading) and they are abnormal so i have to go for a Colposcopy on the 12th march. Trying not worrying myself about it but my mum had cervical cancer which by the time they had found it had spread to he bowel.
Has any one had a Colposcopy and if so is it more uncomfortable that a smear?
also have you had the see and treat o r did you go back for seperate treatment.
Sorry lads but need to know.

Not had one Carole, and dont know anyone that has had one so cant help but wanted to send a hug (((carole)))

hi carole,
i havent had a colposcopy but i have several friends and a mother who have had them. one friend has had 3 over the last 10 years and all have said the fear of the procedure was far worse than the precedure itself. it is apparantly just uncomfortable much the same as a smear although my mum said she felt more scraping but it didnt hurt.
on a very positive note from the 4 people i know to have had the procedure, not one of them has gone on to develop any form of cancerous cells so try not to worry too much.
stay positive hun and best of luck.

During the colposcopy procedure your gynecologist uses the colposcopy to visually exam the cervix. Colposcopy is a simple and painless procedure that is performed in the gynecologist's office. The procedure takes about ten or fifteen minutes.
The colposcopy procedure is similar to the Pap smear. You are positioned on the examination table as in a Pap smear, however acetic acid (such as common table vinegar) is placed on the cervix. This causes the cervical cells to fill with water so light will not pass through them. Another difference that you will notice is that your physician uses a colposcope to view your cervix. A colposcope is a large, electric microscope that is positioned approximately 30 cm from the vagina. A bright light on the end of the colposcope makes it possible for the gynecologist to clearly see the cervix.

Found this info - hope it helps.;)

hey carole,sorry i dont know anything about this, but want to let you know im thinking of you and if there is anything i can do please let me know xxxxxx

:hug99: Carole try not to worry too much. Have you got someone to go with you? If I can help in any way, shout :hug99:

It's no worse than a standard smear. I've been bouncing between standard smears at my GPs and the colposcopy place for the last 3 years. When I get to the colposcopy stage my cells have always reverted to normal!!

One word of advice - don't look at the TV and tell them how nice they are to try to take your mind off things and ask what programme we're watching. Got to see more of myself than I wanted to that day and left with a VERY red face :eek:

I know it's tough but try not to worry

xx

hi i have been going for a colposcopy for 6 years now . You just lie down on the bed and they put the liquid on your cervix if their is any abnormal cells this will turn white. They will take biopsies of these which is a bit uncomftorble but not painful. They do tend to let you watch the screen of them doing it which is fascinating to watch. But dont worry i have this done at least once a year its not too bad its over before you know it.

I had one a few months back. It's no more uncomfortable than a regular smear. The main difference is that you get to see parts of you on a screen that you'd never get to see any other way :rolleyes:

Mine showed everything was completely normal - as I believe the vast majority turn out to be.

Don't worry :)

i had one years ago was not painful just a little uncomfotable and undignified. as said they examin the cervix, i was treated at the same time with a light lazer which i also did not feel

i had 1 a few years back as i had an "abnormal" smear test i didnt like the experience as they clipped part of my cervix away with a sharp impliment and no numbimg or pain relief, i made a complaint as they made me bleed heavily and the doc laughed with the nurse i never want to go through that again.
maybe they have a diff proceddure now but i didnt like it. i had no pain relief and they packed my area with alot of wool stuff.
sorry i cant talk no more.
they asked me since to go back 4 another no way !

was just a bad experience 4 me, but other docs r and will be ok.

Last edited:
i had 1 a few years back as i had an "abnormal" smear test i didnt like the experience as they clipped part of my cervix away with a sharp impliment and no numbimg or pain relief, i made a complaint as they made me bleed heavily and the doc laughed with the nurse i never want to go through that again.
maybe they have a diff proceddure now but i didnt like it. i had no pain relief and they packed my area with alot of wool stuff.

Hun, I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience but I REALLY would urge you to go back if they have asked you to.

I notice you're in the Newcastle area - the docs/nurses at the RVI colposcopy clinic really are lovely and very careful

Take care and good luck xxx

hi toots, thanks for your reply, it was in newcastle i had the bad experience but it was a few years ago now.

thanks everyone for your info and good wishes. Im going to try and not let it bother me. the one thing i will be asking when i go though is if i can have a colposcopy instead of a smear in future as invariably it takes at least 2 smears befor they get a reading as i always bleed when they do it due to erosion of the cervix. and it then takes 6 months to get the results.

:hug99: Carole try not to worry too much. Have you got someone to go with you? If I can help in any way, shout :hug99:

yes my sister will be comng with me.

once again thanks everyone
carole

liz sorry to hear you had such a bad experiance and it left you feeling as you do but your Health is more important than that. Please go back and have your follow up appointment.
After loosing my mum at 65 its made me realise just how important all health screening is.
Phone the clinic and ask to speak to one of the sisters about your previouse experiance and hopefully she can reasure you that tratment has now moved on.
take care
carole

hi toots, thanks for your reply, it was in newcastle i had the bad experience but it was a few years ago now.

Hi Hun

Please get yourself back for the follow up test - they really are lovely and it'll be done within a couple of minutes

xx

Oh well i went for my colposcopy today and they have taken 4 byopsy's i have erosion of the cervix so as soon as they touch it it bleeds so although they have taken another 2 smears with 2 different brushes thay haeve also taken the tissue so they can have a closer look. The dr said they were concerned that the moment they touch it it bleeds like a stuck pig. but said she doesnt think it is anything to worry about.

Back