• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you wear pants for surgery??

Sara-Louise

Having a moment... Lol
Can we wear our own underwear???
Paper underwear??
Or no underwear??
Not sure I like the thought of no underwear!!

Confused.com....,, ummm

Will need to go get nice pants if I do?!

When I had my surgery I was only aloud to wear my hospital gown! I was very embarrassed at the thought of it! But after surgery I was able to wear my undies and pajama bottoms. But it may be different where you are. They are professionals though lol so I'm sure they are very mature about it! At least I hope they were :)

Paper gown and paper pants for me :)

No undies here. Differs for each hospital.

Paper gown and paper pants for me too! I have seen a thread on here though where a lady brought in her own pants and was allowed to wear them - they do get covered in iodine though xx

Paper gown a nd pants for me too. That is just for surgery you can wear your own after. I wouldnt buy any nice ones as the iodene gets everywhere!

Hospital gown and very small paper pants for me. I had to undo my gown at the back before I got on the operating table and woke up without the pants on. I had the catheter in for 3 days and used a hospital gown during that time too, then switched to my own pyjamas once the catheter was out.

Frankly, when you wake up and you feel like death warmed up, all shyness goes out of the window. I could have been laying in the bed stark naked and I wouldn't have cared lol.

i dont care i just want the op my biggest fear is having catheter fitted and waking up to find out they did not do the op

you're asleep when the cathetar is fitted. I couldn't feel it at all during the days I had it in. I never felt the urge to pee. Taking it out literally took a second and wasn't uncomfortable.

I wore my own pants & they got wasted with the iodine. But I wish I'd had a catheter because I was soooo dehydrated after the op they gave me 5 bags of fluids in my drip which meant I had to get up at least 5 times during the night which was a painful....because someone had to help me every time and I couldn't get out of bed very easy and then they have to put the inflatable booties off and on every time etc etc etc. Nightmare. I was shattered. Another tip I was told after the op was to load your body up with fluid before your cut-off time for fluids just so you have enough to stop feeling so thirsty afterwards because I was parched and couldn't drink enough after.

It is so interesting reading the many varied posts. I had a Bypass and in vogue for me on the day was, paper hat, paper knickers and a gown but no catheter after. Apparently my surgeon stands in between his patients legs to perform the keyhole surgery with the screen he is watching over head. Thank goodness for the paper knickers!

Yikes .... inflatable booties ??????? what are they all about? Never heard those mentioned before. Also do you have to remove nail varnish? guessing you do but just asking. x :)

Big gown and paper knickers fror me. Very un-ladylike. No catheter and no post op probs with excess thirst or weeing.
Lynne x

The inflatible bootees are lovely. They are like massive ugg's that are pumped up and down with a machine. It is a form of massage to prevent dvt. I liked the sensation but not a lot of people do.
If I were you I would remove my nail varnish. You will have plenty of time to re-apply after surgery.
Lynne x

Nothing

For my fist surgery I did not wear anything but the hospital gown and stupid slipper which did not last long. I did not care at all, as theatre staff have seen it all before. I was so delighted that I was getting surgery. Second surgery (DS) I had paper knickers as well as their gown.

No jewellery no nail vanish was allowed, and to be honest it not such a big thing. I was just glad I came round after the surgery. :D

Rosebun. :talk017:

No nail varnish here either...they need to be able so see your nails for measuring oxygen in blood. i quite liked the sensation of the bootees but having to take them on and off 5 times was tiring. But I got plenty of sleep when I got home of course. And yes- it was nice to wake up out of the anaesthetic and feel alive :)

I was told to remove all nail varnish.

For me it was oversized material gown and my own Bridget Jones pants.
No catheter, so they were still there after the op, as good as new! I did wake up in a normal small gown that didn't meet at the back, so they kept the special bariatric one. I didn't notice that till day 2 when I changed into my own pj's. Couldn't have cares less what they did on day one, just so sleepy.

I had the inflatable leg things too. On admission they put the surgical stocking on, only for them to be removed, and the inflatables fitted when I laid on the operating table. Mine weren't boots though, just over the lower leg, and stayed on for about 30 hours till left ITU. Like you Lynne I loved them too, very comforting.

Don't worry Sarah Lou, I am one of the biggest prudish worriers around, but I didn't give a stuff when it came to it. Nickers are the last of your worries, you just want your op done. Good luck!

Wore my own nicks - the were firmly tucked underneath my tum when I came back but i still have them - no iodine stains for me.

Back