• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you wear pants for surgery??

Oh my goodness so many places do things so different!!!
My op is in 9 more sleeps at Birmingham heartlands ..... Anyone experienced there views on pants!! Lol
Think I am worrying too much about the little things now :0)
I am having the band ...... X

I bought lovely new pants especially, but wore paper ones in the end with hospital gown and the horrid stockings; in fact, didn't wear any of the new stuff that I'd bought for hospital! x

Hospital gown and very small paper pants for me. I had to undo my gown at the back before I got on the operating table and woke up without the pants on. I had the catheter in for 3 days and used a hospital gown during that time too, then switched to my own pyjamas once the catheter was out.

Frankly, when you wake up and you feel like death warmed up, all shyness goes out of the window. I could have been laying in the bed stark naked and I wouldn't have cared lol.

OMG - Do you really feel that bad????

I have had surgery before (laparoscopic left salpingo oophorectomy) which is the removal of my left ovary and when I woke up I was in quite a bit of pain and had no pants on. I have asked one of the female Registrars at work who will be assisting the surgeon on my operation about the catheter situation and they only put in the catheter if you have trouble passing urine which can happen after surgery, but she said that it wasn't routine to fit one, but you will waken up with a tummy drain in situ for about a couple of days. Oh well, too late to say no now!! (only kidding) :p

dolly48dd said:
Bare bum for me.

Haha that is so cute the way you put that.

sydenham said:
It is so interesting reading the many varied posts. I had a Bypass and in vogue for me on the day was, paper hat, paper knickers and a gown but no catheter after. Apparently my surgeon stands in between his patients legs to perform the keyhole surgery with the screen he is watching over head. Thank goodness for the paper knickers!

Omg im feeling a bit violated after reading this! I wonder if my surgeon does this. If so I was not wearing anything!! Lol I guess I should stop thinking about it...

Omg im feeling a bit violated after reading this! I wonder if my surgeon does this. If so I was not wearing anything!! Lol I guess I should stop thinking about it...
might be an idea to get your bikini line done before hand.xx:)

I had a hospital gown and very fetching pleated paper knickers! Had to model them for my husband as I thought they were so hilarious!

I walked down to theatre, climbed onto the table and had to stretch arms out to sides and legs apart as surgeon stood between them to operate. However woke up minus pant and with a catheter which I honestly didn't feel at all. And since I was back in bed and moved to my HDU room I didn't care that the pants disappeared somewhere along the way lol.

I think I had inflatable leg thingys in theatre but was put under so quickly I don't remember them much. I was also given a central line in my neck which stayed for several days and they took bloods from it each day. That was difficult to put in apparently (they did it once I was under) and I have been left with a lot of bruising on one side of my neck:(

I did have to remove all nail polish before admission - I think it's so they get a better idea of how well perfused you are during the op.

Hope this helps:)

Well ... you lose your modesty when you have a baby so I guess this is no different ... the surgeons see all sorts & hopefully don't turn a hair. They literally know you inside & out. :eek: Someone was asking about having their surgery videoed but if it was a woman, I bet she has changed her mind after reading this ... imagine the surgeon with his camera on his head going in for a closeup & us laid there knickerless ... oh lordy. He deserves every penny he earns.;) lol

gown with paper knickers ,, i had an internal bleed so they stopped the tinzaparine so had to have the booties for 3 days so i would'nt get a blood clot but no catheter ,, thank god xxxxxxxx

I was allowed to wear my own cotton knickers, and was pleased to still be wearing them when I got back to the ward!! :)

At my pre op I was told I'd have surgical stockings and that i could keep my acrylic finger nails and toes on - on the day I didn't have any stockings and the anaesthetist confirmed he was happy with my acrylics being on - I think you have less in terms of anti dvt for a band as you are mobile much quicker after the op - I went home same day and thoroughly enjoyed the whole "surgery" experience !

I have been told that I will be fitted with surgical stockings almost as soon as I arrive in the hospital and will have Clexane for 10 days post-op (good thing I don't have a problem with needles or injecting myself!!). I was told at my pre-op assessment to make sure I didn't have any nail varnish on (though I wasn't wearing any that day so think it's probably something they tell every female patient).

When I was in the same patient 2 years ago (admittedly not for a bariatric procedure) and they put all patients in fabric hospital gowns (the small sized ones) and no paper knickers!!

As someone who used to work in a theatre during keyhole procedures I can understand why a surgeon might want to stand between a patient's legs to operate (and remember, patients are fully covered in drapes so there is nothing to be seen once you're on the table), could you imagine standing at the side of the cooker instead of in front? Or trying to use a computer sitting at right angles to the keyboard and screen? Now imagine a surgeon trying to get to the stomach from one side of the body (either side) when s/he could stand at the end (between the legs) and have better access to what they are doing. I know what I would prefer and, being honest, patients have no idea what's going on as they're asleep.

Tatiana

Its no nail varnish for me either. A nice big gown, sexy stockings and fetchin paper nicks!

X

Maybe we all should get a vagazzle done first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back