• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High protein low carb breakfast - help

Meggie moo

I seem to have fallen off the band wagon and need a leg up getting back on???

Been stuck at 12 stone since early May, have had 3 week holiday in Florida and put on 6 lb but lost it the week I got back, had a fill mid June taking me up to 7.25ml and some restriction......but I am eating total crap - what happened??

Looking for some inspiration on meal choices especially breakfast, and needs to be something I can eat at work?

Before May my daily food was

Breakfast - weetabix minis 40g dry
Lunch - ham salad
Tea - fishcakes or chicken and stir fry

Thanks for any advice, butt kicking, telling off (think I need it)

Paula x

I have total Greek yogurt with fresh fruit for breakfast. It has 9g of protein per 100g and is a great protein hit first thing in the morning. It's also naturally low in sugar, only 3.4g per 100g. I bought a little tub with a lid, so I can take it to work with me.

For lunch I usually have half a wrap with tuna/chicken/ham etc and salad and sometimes I have a bag of fridge raiders with it.

For dinner I have protein and steamed veg, chilli, meatballs, curry etc. hope this helps :)

Hi Paula,

I can't eat breakfast but if I do (which tends to be lunchtime lol) I tend to have a yoghurt, sometimes topped with cereal to give it a bit of "fill"

Otherwise, how about eggs? Maybe an omelette - you could mix it with ham or cooked chicken breast, all a good source of protein.

Depending on how you are with meat, depending on whether you're following any guidelines in terms of carbs etc you could always have steak and eggs :) you could always make omelettes etc using the whites to reduce the fat content as they do suggest a certain limit of eggs per week (think my provider suggests 3 max)

Or even something such as the low fat turkey rashers, with tomatoes/mushrooms and a poached egg.

How about making a fritatta, with eggs, including something in it such as spinach or leafy greens such as kale, good source of good vitamins too! You can eat them cold so handy to have while out and about. Pop in some sliced ham, cooked chicken, even prawns, and again, good protein sources.

Things such as lean ham, lean turkey (whether slices or the rashers you cook) yoghurt, peanut butter and cream cheese (although slightly higher in fat content)

Other things - berry smoothies, breakfast parfait (yoghurt topped with fruits and some bran)

:)

Great ideas thanks ladies, never even thought about yoghurt as its a slider?? But I guess by having cereal or fruit it's not so.

Top Kat omelette would be great choice on the days I work from home - thank you x

Paula

While yoghurt is a "slider" for me it is enough. It will depend on how you get along with slider foods, I find because of very very limited restriction that my hunger is there just the same after crunchy food as it is after slider foods, so I work within my cal limits and the limits I have for carbs and protein :)

My band is always a little tighter during the mornings and I struggle to eat physical food (Not band related as I always have not been able to eat breakfast), so have a yoghurt about lunchtime. Sometimes I will top it with a low sugar variety of muesli, or special K to give it a bit of substance, but most of the time I don't bother.

Last edited:
My post op breakfast advice was:

Breakfast:

Good choices: 3-4 melba toast with low fat soft cheese.
Cereal size bowl of chopped fruit, with yoghurt (low fat).
1-2 eggs boiled or scrambled, with mushrooms or maybe tinned tomatoes.
On the move - a protein shake or slim fast

Not to often cereals, muesli, beans and toast - more carbs / calories.

Try and avoid - fried breakfast, sugar coated cereals, fresh bread, pastries.

Good luck with getting back on track and here's a boot up the behind to get you going! lol x

:asskick:

My post op breakfast advice was:

Breakfast:

Good choices: 3-4 melba toast with low fat soft cheese.
Cereal size bowl of chopped fruit, with yoghurt (low fat).
1-2 eggs boiled or scrambled, with mushrooms or maybe tinned tomatoes.
On the move - a protein shake or slim fast

Not to often cereals, muesli, beans and toast - more carbs / calories.

Try and avoid - fried breakfast, sugar coated cereals, fresh bread, pastries.

Good luck with getting back on track and here's a boot up the behind to get you going! lol x

:asskick:

Thank you Mazza I need it x

I eat:

Breakfast-

Scrambled eggs
Smoked salmon
Home made protein brownies
Protein Pancakes- amazing recipe if you want it with carb free syrup from wardalls farm.
Sausages
Bacon
Mushrooms
Protein bar
Omelette
Baked egg in half an avocado
Cottage cheese
Peanut butter
Cloud bread- carb free bread I also have recipe.

Be careful eating yogurt and fruits as can be high in sugar.

Sorry I also forgot to add on a low carb diet better to eat full fat rather than low fat products as there actually higher in carbs and sugars x

I eat:

Breakfast-

Scrambled eggs
Smoked salmon
Protein Pancakes- amazing recipe if you want it with carb free syrup from wardalls farm.
Sausages
Bacon
Mushrooms
Protein bar
Omelette
Cottage cheese
Peanut butter

Protein pancakes....yum! How do I make them? x

I eat:

Breakfast-

Scrambled eggs
Smoked salmon
Sausages
Bacon
Mushrooms
Protein bar
Omelette
Cottage cheese
Peanut butter

Protein pancakes?? Yum yum recipe please x

I eat:

Breakfast-

Scrambled eggs
Smoked salmon
Sausages
Bacon
Mushrooms
Protein bar
Omelette
Cottage cheese
Peanut butter

Lottie can you please do the same thing for lunch and dinner and snacks im stuck with my diet options too x

Hi,

Protein Pancakes- 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein, 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, 2 teaspoons of stevia, 1 egg, splash of full fat milk. Beat all together. Use pam to spray pan and cook like normal pancakes. You could add Banana, cinnamon, dark choc chips, dark pure cocoa powder, spices and pumpkin, cheese and spinach. Get creative they were a god send for me !! Can also use them as bread and make a sandwich.

Banana pancakes- 2 eggs and one banana blitzed in processor. That's it !!! Then cook :)

Another life saver was cauliflower mash- rice one cauliflower, place in microwave and cook for 10 mins. Drain excess water. Add I teaspoon of butter and splash of milk . Put in food processor. I like to all add a tbl spoon of grated cheese then season. Great potatoe substitute. You can also make these in to rostis and shallow fry or grill them.

Cloud bread recipe is on my thread lottie looses weight and protein brownie and cauliflower pizza all very yummy.

Another tip is Instagram is great for recipes just type in proteinrecipes#

My foody favs:

Baked avocado stuffed with ham & cheese
Chicken & Cashew nuts
Cauliflower mash with cheese and chicken
Roast beef salad
Chicken satay
Sausage, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoe
Burger with cheese and cloud bread
Chicken & salad cloud bread sandwiche
Pasta free lasagne- layers of cheese, tomatoe, veg, chicken
Prawn, salmon, seafood platter and wedge of lemon
Veg and chicken stir fry
Chicken curry ( no rice)
Mozarella, avocado and tomatoe salad
Sweet potatoe fries- cheatish once a week
Roast chicken & Salad
Lamb moussaka
Mince & Onions with cauliflower mash
Cauliflower pizza
Salad wraps with prawns veg and sweet chilli dressing
Steak and Salad
Mango Thai salad - cheatish once a week
Cottage pie with cauliflower mash top
Sausages and cauliflower rostis
Roast veg and lamb hot pot
Pea and bacon soup

The secret to also remember is that eating fat doesn't make you fat anymore than eating money makes you rich. Carbs are the bad guy and refined sugars.

Got lots of recipes and a diet plan my hubby put together for me if anyone wants it.

Good luck hope this helps xx

thank you so much lottie,, you have been an inspiration to me :) :) :)

can I ask did you ever consider the gastric wrap ??

xx

thank you so much lottie,, you have been an inspiration to me :) :) :)

can I ask did you ever consider the gastric wrap ??

xx

Hi :)

I thought about it and decided against it as you either have it or you get it reversed. I liked the idea with the band that if I reached goal I could have a defil and while watching what I ate I could be slightly more normal. If I then felt I was getting too greedy and putting on weight I could have it filled again. For me I just felt its always with you but doesn't always have to be restrictive to food for the rest of my life. It gives me options. Hope that makes sense x

Hi Lottie,

Iv been following your progress. Fantastic results. You look amazing.

I'm from Qatar so not far from you at all.

I would be very interested to see your hubby's diet plan for you. I lack inspiration big time.

Thanks in advance.

would love those recipes lottie....
Im saving all this to a work doc

I find that even now before my band I can loose weight doing a no carb diet but I cant seem to stick to it for more then 2 weeks.
bring on the band :) :) :)

x

Agree with Lottie, protein pancakes are a must, and so good too.

This is my recipe for them:

LC Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
2 T oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T sweetener

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes

Nutritional Information: Each pancake has 1 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein.

I also give you a recipe for LC muffins:

LC Muffins

Ingredients:
• 2 cups almond flour (almond meal)
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
• 4 eggs
• 1/3 cup water
• Sweetener to taste -- about 1/3 cup usually works well -- liquid preferred

Preparation:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Butter a muffin tin. You can really do it with any size, but I'm basing the recipe on a 12-muffin tin.
3) Mix dry ingredients together well.
4) Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly (You don't want strings of egg white in there and you don't have to worry about "tunnels" when you are using almond meal).
5) Put in muffin tins (about 1/2 to 2/3 full) and bake for about 15 minutes.

Variations: Add 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries for blueberry muffins. For apricot muffins, take a teaspoon of sugar-free apricot jam on each muffin and push it in slightly (it will sink more during baking).

Nutritional Information: Each of 12 muffins has 1.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 6 grams protein

(1 stick of butter = 250g, that's one pack for us here in the UK.)

About omelettes, if you want something a bit more luxurious as a treat, make a souffle omelette with creamy mushrooms filling, you separate the eggs, whip the whites up with cream of tartar and fold the yolks in gently. I can't find the recipe on my laptop right now, argh, so annoying, but I'm sure a quick google search will give you a recipe for the basic souffle omelette (which is great for both savoury and sweet dishes by the way!)

I can't recommend almond flour (which is just ground almonds, found in every supermarket baking products aisle) enough as a basis for all kinds of low-carb, high protein stuff. Shredded unsweetened coconut is also fab for all kinds of LC desserts.

If you're sick of eating solids at breakfast (I get periods like that!), a home made protein shake is great: 2 scoops of whey protein powder, 2 eggs, 1/2 water & 1/2 double cream mix (to replace milk, it's lower in sugar that way), flavouring of your choice if your whey protein is the plain one, (DaVinci's sugar-free syrup is great for that, expensive but totally worth it, and it lasts! available from LC online stores), ice cubes, whizz it all in the blender thoroughly and voila, a protein shake which packs a punch, will fill you up for a long time, low in carb, high in protein. (You can add a bit of coconut oil or flaxseed oil if you want to up the fat content, or skip the eggs if that doesn't float your boat, whatever suits you!)

Back