• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2017 Surgeries

That's fantastic news Sweetcheeks..... a date at last and only a couple of months away, what a relief for you, I'm super pleased for you and excited too, was the sleeve a joint decision between you and the surgeon ? Xx
Thank you its been a long time coming iv been waiting over 18months.
It was my decision but he agreed due to my conditions I'd be better off with a sleeve.
Its all very exciting I just haven't had a chance today to think about it as not been well. But can't wait for the future.
How are you coming along? X

Thank you its been a long time coming iv been waiting over 18months.
It was my decision but he agreed due to my conditions I'd be better off with a sleeve.
Its all very exciting I just haven't had a chance today to think about it as not been well. But can't wait for the future.
How are you coming along? X
I'm doing ok, it's just such a long year, my year assessment is not up until June !! , I have another appointment on 30th March with dietician and physician, apparently the physician is just to check I'm healthy enough for the surgery so nothing exciting expected, I won't have MDT until after June and have been told by L and D that my surgery, IF I'm accepted, could be up to another year after this June !! It's also becoming more challenging now to maintaining my loss but I'd be happy to maintain now as I've lost 14% of my body weight and only needed to lose 5%, hope you have a good night sleep and that your eye is better soon x

I'm doing ok, it's just such a long year, my year assessment is not up until June !! , I have another appointment on 30th March with dietician and physician, apparently the physician is just to check I'm healthy enough for the surgery so nothing exciting expected, I won't have MDT until after June and have been told by L and D that my surgery, IF I'm accepted, could be up to another year after this June !! It's also becoming more challenging now to maintaining my loss but I'd be happy to maintain now as I've lost 14% of my body weight and only needed to lose 5%, hope you have a good night sleep and that your eye is better soon x
Thank you I hope I get some sleep too its so painful.
I got told by the nurse that founding has changed once you completed the year and you meet all the criteria needs then your already funded so no ofs but when you will have surgery.
I had my MDT in December but gained over xmas and they made me wait to lose 5% weight before the would let me see Mr jain who I have met before.
And now have my date so don't give up hope ju remember this is such a tuff rollercoaster iv been so down since Xmas as I had been so good all year and then one gain and they booted me to the curb to lose 5% of my weight in 3 weeks before my next appointment but I did it. And now lost a little more my prob is I gain so fast just one naughty treat could cost me lbs.
Take each appointment as it comes but I will advise keeping on top of calling and checking on them or asking to be moved on quicker coz they lost me in the system for 6 months I would have had surgery by now if they didn't mess up.
All the best sweetie xx

I'm so glad you've got your date. I was about 18 months from start to op and at times I didn't really think it'd ever happen, it gets to you after a while. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead as planned and is straightforward for you x

Ladies who had surgery at luton and dunstable hospital how long u were told to ware stockings for? As I was told 6 weeks and it seems to be too long for my liking lol
Have you been sent home with bloody thinning injections? If not then these could be a substitute. Not L&D but my stockings were off as soon as I could get out of bed to go to the loo. Had 30 days of injections though :(

Have you been sent home with bloody thinning injections? If not then these could be a substitute. Not L&D but my stockings were off as soon as I could get out of bed to go to the loo. Had 30 days of injections though :(
Hi i got 20 days of injectionsome and have to keep stockings for 6 weeks and that seem to be to long for me as I absolutely hate them lol

So I FINALLY got my date!!!!!! MAY 15th Wahooooo! I am so happy I haven't had time to think today as didn't feel well at all today think because I didn't sleep at all last night and was so stressed I was sick so much this morning, I also have a swollen watery eye which is so painful feels like iv got glass in my eye so felt rubbish today when I should feel pure relief.
I'm going away for the weekend so will have more time to think.
He said iv reached my target (with a big grin on his face) and said okay let's book a date!!!
I told him if he gets a cancelation I'm there lol
He said I have to do the milk diet for two weeks before but if feel unwell have to do the other diet.
He said I won't have the swallow test after unless they think there is an issue.
He reassured me that If I feel I am to unwell to go home then I can stay no one will push me out. He also said they will be really happy to have me sitting up after the op(one of my concerns due to pressure on my back and pancreas it kicks off ii lay flat on my back) had a bad experience with another op the nurses pinned me down coz I was trying to sit up from the pressure and they wouldn't let me it was awful.
He said I need to stay the same weight as I am now or keep losing if I like.
As long as I don't gain all will go ahead and I will be first on the list that afternoon which will be amazing will have to go in about 11am and my op will be at 1pm so in all sounds good. I have to take all meds as usual and inject once the night before then two weeks after.
But one thing concerned me a littles was he said ..... Hmmmm let's book you in here if there is an issue you can wait just few more weeks? Which didn't sound like he was so sure on that date and time so was little worrying. But happy to have something to plan for now.
How are you doing ? Xx
I think they have to be cautious about dates due to the vagaries of NHS waiting lists, and emergencies.

So I FINALLY got my date!!!!!! MAY 15th Wahooooo! I am so happy I haven't had time to think today as didn't feel well at all today think because I didn't sleep at all last night and was so stressed I was sick so much this morning, I also have a swollen watery eye which is so painful feels like iv got glass in my eye so felt rubbish today when I should feel pure relief.
He said iv reached my target (with a big grin on his face) and said okay let's book a date!!!
He said I have to do the milk diet for two weeks before but if feel unwell have to do the other diet.
He said I won't have the swallow test after unless they think there is an issue.
He reassured me that If I feel I am to unwell to go home then I can stay no one will push me out. He also said they will be really happy to have me sitting up after the op(one of my concerns due to pressure on my back and pancreas it kicks off ii lay flat on my back) had a bad experience with another op the nurses pinned me down coz I was trying to sit up from the pressure and they wouldn't let me it was awful.
As long as I don't gain all will go ahead and I will be first on the list that afternoon which will be amazing will have to go in about 11am and my op will be at 1pm so in all sounds good. I have to take all meds as usual and inject once the night before then two weeks after.
But one thing concerned me a littles was he said ..... Hmmmm let's book you in here if there is an issue you can wait just few more weeks? Which didn't sound like he was so sure on that date and time so was little worrying. But happy to have something to plan for now.
How are you doing ? Xx
Aweeee so happy for you and you so deserve it. It's not that far away either so enjoy your weekend break and be good haha xx

How are you doing ? Xx
Aweeee so happy for you and you so deserve it. It's not that far away either so enjoy your weekend break and be good haha xx

Thank you so much, I asked most of that apart from the drain part. He said I won't have the swallow test unless they think there is an issue. All went well I am having my surgery May 15th. I'm having the sleeve . finally feel like all this stress and upset has paid off fingers crossed it doesn't get canceled. I really appreciate the help thank you so much x

WOW!!!!!! You have your date and I am so pleased for you. All that worry and upping and downing and you have done it. It is fantastic news for you. He seemed much more positive with you than he has been with me (maybe I rub him up the wrong way??) and what a relief for you that as long as you maintain (or up and down again back to this current weight) all will go ahead. That must be such a relief for you?
As for a potential "issue" I think we are all subject to that because of the NHS beds crisis. Beds are a premium item in hospitals and if there are lot of emergencies and no discharges any one of us may find we turn up to be cancelled. When I had my band done 10 years ago at St Richards in Chichester I got there to find that the hospital contractors had sliced through the main electrical line and so all non emergency surgery was cancelled. I choose to wait another 8 weeks but the plus side was I could then go on hols and still eat and drink!!
I live in Suffolk which for us is a 2 hour journey to L&D so I (and hubby) are facing a very early morning on surgery day.
SJ xx

WOW!!!!!! You have your date and I am so pleased for you. All that worry and upping and downing and you have done it. It is fantastic news for you. He seemed much more positive with you than he has been with me (maybe I rub him up the wrong way??) and what a relief for you that as long as you maintain (or up and down again back to this current weight) all will go ahead. That must be such a relief for you?
As for a potential "issue" I think we are all subject to that because of the NHS beds crisis. Beds are a premium item in hospitals and if there are lot of emergencies and no discharges any one of us may find we turn up to be cancelled. When I had my band done 10 years ago at St Richards in Chichester I got there to find that the hospital contractors had sliced through the main electrical line and so all non emergency surgery was cancelled. I choose to wait another 8 weeks but the plus side was I could then go on hols and still eat and drink!!
I live in Suffolk which for us is a 2 hour journey to L&D so I (and hubby) are facing a very early morning on surgery day.
SJ xx
St James in Leeds has a 'patient hotel' for people who live a long way, away - I was two hours too, and need to be there very early for surgery. Might be worth checking if L&D has something similar? It was free.

I'm so glad you've got your date. I was about 18 months from start to op and at times I didn't really think it'd ever happen, it gets to you after a while. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead as planned and is straightforward for you x
Thank you so much. Yes its a really tuff road but hopefully worth it in the end x

No not to far away still feels like years away but so happy to have a plan in place so I can work towards getting fitter and plan my life better.
I have to do the milk diet for two weeks which I haven no clue what amount of milk I'm meant to have so will be calling them to find out what I am meant to have.
How are you feeling now? Has everything got better? X

Hi i got 20 days of injectionsome and have to keep stockings for 6 weeks and that seem to be to long for me as I absolutely hate them lol

Oh Ann@88
I hope I don't get to wear those fantastic fashion accessories for 6 weeks - I am hoping (all going well and fingers crossed and no infections and a good post op recovery) to be able to go on my hols in Cyprus 4.5 weeks after surgery. Both surgeon and anesthetist said yes as long as the wounds had healed. Although I am in a villa with a pool and well away from public view and will be prepping my own meals etc. I don't fancy a brown head and shoulders, white trunk, brown thighs and white legs. I will look like a deformed zebra!
SJ x

SJ xx
Had same problem where my hubby can stay there is that great website called airbnb where for location I have entered luton and dunstable hospital and we found lots of places to stay in very reasonable prices too x my hubby stayed at Catherines charming rooms and loved it said the hospitality and room where great and Catherine was so nice and helpfull and there is a big driveway for cars too and it's only 10 min from l&d hospital x

St James in Leeds has a 'patient hotel' for people who live a long way, away - I was two hours too, and need to be there very early for surgery. Might be worth checking if L&D has something similar? It was free.

Thanks Sam55 I will ask if they have anything or is it just the a case of sort yourself. At the moment we are planning on a very early journey, hubby to hang around till I am out of surgery and he can see me briefly and then come back home until I need picking up. Whether that's 1 or 2 days later as I assume I can sleep , wlak, drin and read a day away without him. Plus he has the dogs to walk each day!
SJ xx

Had same problem where my hubby can stay there is that great website called airbnb where for location I have entered luton and dunstable hospital and we found lots of places to stay in very reasonable prices too x my hubby stayed at Catherines charming rooms and loved it said the hospitality and room where great and Catherine was so nice and helpfull and there is a big driveway for cars too and it's only 10 min from l&d hospital x

Thank you for the info. I will look into it.
SJ x

Thanks Sam55 I will ask if they have anything or is it just the a case of sort yourself. At the moment we are planning on a very early journey, hubby to hang around till I am out of surgery and he can see me briefly and then come back home until I need picking up. Whether that's 1 or 2 days later as I assume I can sleep , wlak, drin and read a day away without him. Plus he has the dogs to walk each day!
SJ xx
I has my surgery at 2 pm and was out on recovery ward at 4.30 pm stayed night and next day I was discharged home at about 1 pm. I was walking to toilet about 1 am already and by 9 am had drain removed and from noon I was packed and dressed waiting for my medication to be delivered to go home. I couldn't wait to go home but the journey in car was horrible so painful it took us about 1.5 h to drive as im foment kent x

I has my surgery at 2 pm and was out on recovery ward at 4.30 pm stayed night and next day I was discharged home at about 1 pm. I was walking to toilet about 1 am already and by 9 am had drain removed and from noon I was packed and dressed waiting for my medication to be delivered to go home. I couldn't wait to go home but the journey in car was horrible so painful it took us about 1.5 h to drive as im foment kent x

Yes I have heard the home journey is rough as roads are not as smooth as we are led to believe. I am hoping hubby will driving with due care and attention, miss as many pot-holes as possible whilst I sit clutching a big pillow across my middle keeping it all as still as I can. I had an emergency ceasar with my first child and as we were leaving the midwife said "have you no pillow with you? Its good to clutch one over your tummy when on the way home to help with the pain." Fat lot of good that was then as NHS don't give pillows away but I have remembered for subsequent surgeries!
SJ x

SJ xx
Thank you so much I am so pleased it's such a wait off my shoulders I have waited so long and been messed about so much its finally something I can get excited about and focus on what's next.
As for Mr Jain he was not nice to me when I first met him last year he was very short and made me feel stupid and made me very angry. But this time I went in with a hugs smile and was very upbeat an made it hard for him to be grumpy with me, but I was also his first patient as some didn't show up.
Think it helped me being up beat and just my general happy self either that or he was in a good mood for another reason.
He probably has so much to deal with but still us as his patients should feel comfortable with our surgeon.
My op is on a Monday afternoon so I am hoping some beds will become free after the weekend. Fingers crossed!!

You have so far to come couldn't you stay in a hotel the night before? I'd offer you to stay at mine but I only have a tiny one bedroom place and one bed lol
I have to do the milk diet which I haven't done before due to my condition but he said for me to try and do it just for two weeks, I have no clue what to do I know its milk and jelly?
I'm going to call them and find out what the plan is as I haven't a clue if I need to take vitamins or anything or if I can drink coffee? Or have sweetness? Do you know if I can have those?

Just so you know there is a premiere inn in st Albans town its 20-30min drive to LND from here.
How's the milk diet going? X

Back