• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

July 2015 Surgeries

Thanks Chrissy It's great that you are here to watch me! I must start reading everything they give me properly! Yes I see it now and I'll get that set up, although I am in California next week so its going to be a bit longer than the 12 days unless I find somewhere there to do it. I'll check with Bart or Fredrick about the issues, if any, of leaving it until 17 days afterwards. Also I had forgotten that about Nurofen etc, although I dont see that in the pre op or post op notes now I have read them again. Thanks again as that could have caused me all sorts of problems in the future I expect. Nick

I'm not stalking, honest :8855:

Yes, I think the NSAID thing should be in the notes not sure why it isn't, especially as a lot of people don't think about aspirin which is also an NDAID. Regardless Dr Chris confirmed this to me. As for removing the stitches, the sticky up bits were annoying me as they were catching on my clothes. The nurse literally must used sterile scissors and snipped them off, but I cant see any reason why they cant wait.

California sounds lovely, have a great visit.

X

Hi Nick

Lovely to hear from you. :)

So glad it lol went well for you.

You will get lots of support and advice on this site and the people are fab.

Hope your arm gets sorted soon and good luck with your weight loss journey. You must be so relieved it's all over?

I am just doing the LSD diet which is a killer. I'm having a gastric sleeve on the 23rd of this month.

Speak soon

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

@ Nick My discharge sheet from Dr Chris says the stitches are to be cut at the skin after 10 to 12 days. Its about half way down the page. The nurse at my GP practice did this for me. My GP gave me soluble CoCodamol before my surgery for my knee/hip pain, as you know Nurofen and other NSAIDs are out of the question for us bypassers. Hope the shoulder/arm pain passes quickly for you. It seems as you are doing really well otherwise. :D AFAIK MGBs are only done at Sunderland and at Southampton. Dr Van Den Bossche is a very experienced Belgian surgeon operating out of Southampton, both NHS and private. I am not sure the name of the surgeons doing this at Sunderland but we do have people on here who have had MGBs there. It would have been juts as messy me going to Southampton as Brussels and then Dr VDB would probably have charged for band removal as well as the bypass and maybe even done two ops. No brainer for me. You may find people referring to this op as a OAGB or a Loop bypass. Take care x :)

Hi Weegie

Just read your post and wondered If the rule about NSAIDS and Nurofen apply to sleevers as well?

Xx

Hi Weegie Just read your post and wondered If the rule about NSAIDS and Nurofen apply to sleevers as well? Xx Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Now there's a question I don't know the answer to. It would be best to ask your provider rather than me guessing ( which would be a yes). I think its because they can damage our small tums but you need a proper answer.

Will see if I can find anything. X

Now there's a question I don't know the answer to. It would be best to ask your provider rather than me guessing ( which would be a yes). I think its because they can damage our small tums but you need a proper answer. Will see if I can find anything. X

Thanks Weegie :)

I keep learning different things everyday. I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for this site!

Xxx

Hi all

I'm pleased to say I among the Juliers!! Got a phone call yesterday from my Bariatric nurse saying they have a cancellation for the 14th so it's all systems go. I'm a bit worried about the LSD as I will only be doing it for 6 days, they must think that is ok though. See you all on the losers bench.

Good luck guys, Maddy Casey and Sue16, we want ALL the details :)

So, an update from me. Survived day 1 of my pre-op diet and totalled the calories and it was 907. Tbh I was surprised it was that many as I truly felt hungry. Just goes to show how much my body is used to consuming.

I am just sitting down to brekkie now (1 weetabix, no sugar and milk) at 10:42 having got up at 7:30, so clearly I am not starving haha.

I have decided to log everything into MyFitnessPal and I also treated myself to a FitBit Charge HR yesterday to monitor my movement and heart rate etc. So I am defo on the path now.

Thanks to all of you people who gave me support on my other thread, clearly downer day is behind. me.

Anyway, can you believe it, I am paused 1/2 way through my cereal to write this post..... hahaha

Hi all

I'm pleased to say I among the Juliers!! Got a phone call yesterday from my Bariatric nurse saying they have a cancellation for the 14th so it's all systems go. I'm a bit worried about the LSD as I will only be doing it for 6 days, they must think that is ok though. See you all on the losers bench.

Good luck xx

Hi all I'm pleased to say I among the Juliers!! Got a phone call yesterday from my Bariatric nurse saying they have a cancellation for the 14th so it's all systems go. I'm a bit worried about the LSD as I will only be doing it for 6 days, they must think that is ok though. See you all on the losers bench.

Hi Sue

Wishing you all the best for your op on the 14th.

Can't wait to read about your journey and chatting to you on the losers bench. My op is the 23rd of this month, the same as excitedbutnervous.

Xxx

Losers bench here we come!!! Excited excited excited

@ Nick

My discharge sheet from Dr Chris says the stitches are to be cut at the skin after 10 to 12 days. Its about half way down the page. The nurse at my GP practice did this for me.

My GP gave me soluble CoCodamol before my surgery for my knee/hip pain, as you know Nurofen and other NSAIDs are out of the question for us bypassers.

Hope the shoulder/arm pain passes quickly for you. It seems as you are doing really well otherwise. :D

AFAIK MGBs are only done at Sunderland and at Southampton. Dr Van Den Bossche is a very experienced Belgian surgeon operating out of Southampton, both NHS and private. I am not sure the name of the surgeons doing this at Sunderland but we do have people on here who have had MGBs there. It would have been juts as messy me going to Southampton as Brussels and then Dr VDB would probably have charged for band removal as well as the bypass and maybe even done two ops.
No brainer for me. You may find people referring to this op as a OAGB or a Loop bypass.

Take care x :)
Hi Chrissy

I discussed the Nurofen issue with Bart and his advice is that now I'm a week out and as long as I'm taking Omeprazole then soluble Nurofen is OK if you have to take it. I've taken it twice now in between the Co-Codamol.

As for my Nerve Conductivity study that has come back OK so it seems my shoulder and arm pain are not being caused by the nerve above my elbow. General concensus now seems to be a trapped nerve in my neck that has been there for a long time. They want me to have an MRI scan but I cant do that until 6 weeks after the by-pass because of the metal staples in our stomachs!

Although bizarrely enough the pain hasn't been quite so bad today, although here I am at 1am in the morning again after having failed to sleep more than 2 hours again. Consultant has prescribed new meds for me now which I will try from tomorrow although he says they will make me very sleepy.

On the weight front my first week weigh in yesterday and 10 pounds lost. I'm not strictly sticking to liquids to be honest, a few puree/soft foods have crept in over the past couple of days, but lots of chewing, time between mouthfuls and listening to my stomach when I start to feel the first hint of fullness and so far so good.

Have to change dressings tomorrow again and except for the drain position with the blue thread stitch, all of them are not very sore now at all.

Have walked between 8 and 11km in total each day for the last 3 days, normally over 3 or 4 walks but taking it gently. Have switched from Coffee to Tea in Starbucks or the Mango Juice Frappuccino.

No BM for 3 days though :confused:

I think that's all of relevence. Good luck to all of the 'Julies' on here and I see a couple more of you have had your ops. I hope they all went well and you are all recovering well. Looking forward to hearing how it went

Nick

Last edited:
Hi NiKK
Welcome and congrats on your surgery, how have you been feeling since your surgery?
Hi Janet

I just posted an update on where I am so far after my surgery. I hope that helps others. The bypass has gone very well, (my problems are all currently related to my arm). I see you are still a few days away from the op...best of luck when it comes.

I need to figure out how to update the ticker in my signature next...

Nick

Hi Guys I was a June surgery that got cancelled and ended up being a July one. My date was on 4th July 1 week for me today. I'm well and on the bench losing...just thought to write here and wish good luck for y'all. :)

8 days into LRD milk diet. 6kg down. Feel so lethargic and now stressed. Was playing with my three year old and she offered me crisps and I had a couple completely forgetting I'm not eating!

Pinkcer, well done, how's it been?

Cagh, don't worry about the crisps I am sure it won't hurt. How long do you have before your op? I can't imagine doing anything stricker than what I am doing as that is hard enough. keep strong

You ladies are doing so well after your surgeries, with just 9 days of my LSD to go its exciting! but still seems along way off but I'm sure this week will fly by and I'll joining you on the losers bench xx

I hope not I've been so good! Just completely forgot whilst playing tea parties!! I could murder a mouthful of food even fish or chicken. Sugar free jelly just isn't doing it for me anymore. Only a week to go!! I'll happily never drink milk again after this. Good luck to you all x

Cagh, Janet_hi what are your surgery dates? Mine is 23rd so it seems we are all very close.

Soo near :)

Keep it up ladies!!!!

We can do this!!!

Counting down!!

:) :) ;)

Back