• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

July 2017 Surgeries

Barne

Hey everyone!

I'm pretty new here and would love to meet some people having surgery around the same time as me (so we can freak out together!) and give each other support.

All being well, I'm looking to have surgery on 28th July! (Private in Belgium)

So anyone else having surgery around this time please let me know! Or even if you aren't around that time but fancy having a chat anyway

x.Nicky.x

Yep I am freaking out...booked in for the 18th of July.

I am having a band, fitted in Kent. I am aa smoker and know I need to give up ...I am worried about this as I am abroad from the 24th of June till 4th of July and know I might smoke. :(

Nicky

Barne

Hey Nicky

Glad to hear there is someone else with a July date! I'm having the mini gastric bypass on July 28th and I'm getting so nervous already!

I was asked at my consultation if I smoked but I don't so that isn't an issue for me. That must be tough though! Is it just before the surgery that you need to give up or are you not able to smoke ever again? Just think to think of it that you will be getting healthier in 2 ways! Good luck, I know that must be so hard, on top of an already difficult process!

I'm going abroad soon, all inclusive! So I'm going to make the most of my food because soon after I get back I'll be starting my no fat diet! ;)

Keep me updated as I'd love to know how you get on!

Barne

x.Nicky.x

Snap, I am going malta all inclusive defo last binge as day I get back I have to start the shake products. You going anywhere nice?

Yeh he said I need to give up 6 weeks before or atleast cut down -guna try ky hardest. If i dont it could effect the amount of oxygen i get during surgery which could be a risk.

What does a mini bypass involve?

What are you nervous about, if anything?

X

missymoo

Hi peeps

Yep all booked in to have a band 21st July at Dolan Park.

I'm really excited, anxious and TOTALLY FREAKING out.

Have you guys and girlies told people you are having wls?

Tammy

Barne

Nicky- I'm going to Tenerife so should be nice weather! I can't wait! (Though I'm always really nervous about being 'that fat girl' flying)

Eek! That will be difficult, though I guess it's going to have to be done. Try to remind yourself how important the surgery is if you start to struggle! And you can always come here if you just need someone to talk to :)

Please excuse my lack of science skills, but it basically involves making a smaller stomach (but not cutting it off, so it is reversible if necessary) and they also bypass part of the small intestine which stores the calories from food. So it should give restriction as well as absorbing fewer calories. Fingers crossed!

Tammy- I'm so nervous too! My surgery is a week after yours so definitely come back here to let us know how you get on! I just keep trying to remind myself how important this is to my health.

The only person I have told is my husband! I told my boss I was having surgery but didn't specify what type. I really want to tell my mum but I know she would be really against it and I don't really want that negativity right now. (She also can't keep a secret at all so that's another reason I haven't told her). Who have you told?

Barne

x.Nicky.x

Thanks Barne, I will do hun!!

I have told quite a few people, fam, boss friends etc..most have reacted well - some dont get it. I am lucky as my bf and mum are really supportive and understand y I want it. Others are suprised and say wow, u dont need that - aint it a bit drastric bla bla bla in a way I wish I didnt tell them.

Only thing I am scared about is the actual operation :( just want it done but 7 weeks to go....

Barne

I'm pretty scared of the op too! I know exactly what you mean, I just want the date to hurry up so I can just do it and stop worrying. I'm also a little scared of complications. I've heard brilliant things about my surgeon, and he's got the lowest complication rate in Europe I believe, but I'm nervous because if anything goes wrong, I will have to go back to Belgium again, so it isn't the easiest thing. Fingers crossed the next couple of months fly by!

x.Nicky.x

Do you mind me asking, is it alot cheaper in belgium?

I cant find many reviews about my surgeon which worries me lol x

I am sure we will both be fine... hurry July!!

Barne

It's £6500 for my MGB in Belgium, but a band is only £3700. That includes the surgery, hotels & taxis. So you only pay flights/Eurostar extra.

I imagine you wouldn't find as many reviews on surgeons in the UK as people tend to feel more safe. Do you know what I mean? I think lots of people leave reviews for surgeons abroad because it can be a bit of a worry. It's been so reassuring to see lots of positive reviews for my surgeon, going abroad is a little scary!

x.Nicky.x

God thats so much cheaper - I am paying £6300 for band but it does have 5 years cover and free fills etc!

I wouls go abroad as I love to save money when I can but yes the thought of something going wrong puts me off and having to fly back. I am sure you will be fine though hun, thousands of people go abroad.

Yeh I know what you mean, I am defo guna writw a review after though - as I have really wanted to read some! I found a few but not as much as I want lol

Counting down the weeks now... 7 weeks todah exactly..

ItsmePaula

Hi all.
I am having my Gastric Bypass on the 12th July. 5 weeks and 6 days. Not that I am counting or anything. LOL!
I am going into Spires Parkways.

Today I finally get to see my GP and get all my medications ordered and ready for after the op as they will be liquid.

Does anyone feel overwhelmed? That's my feeling at the moment...

FeeBee

I did when I got my date. It felt like 18 months of reading and preparing and educating myself all fell straight out of my brain when I opened that letter! I got calmer the closer the date got tho, chatted to people here and really got in the zone so to speak. Fingers crossed the overwhelming bit doesn't last long x

KerryH

Hello all

I'm booked in for a sleeve on 18th July, with Mr Kelly in Southampton. My biggest worry is that I might fail to lose weight, even with the sleeve. I've tried so many times to lose weight and never managed to keep any off, just got bigger and bigger. It seems so improbable that I might actually lose some and keep it off. I know that the sleeve is a really good tool for weight loss but I really need to get my head on board too!

x.Nicky.x

Hello all

I'm booked in for a sleeve on 18th July, with Mr Kelly in Southampton. My biggest worry is that I might fail to lose weight, even with the sleeve. I've tried so many times to lose weight and never managed to keep any off, just got bigger and bigger. It seems so improbable that I might actually lose some and keep it off. I know that the sleeve is a really good tool for weight loss but I really need to get my head on board too!

We are having our op on the same day eekkk!!! How exciting!!!!

You will lose weight!! Defoss!!! I am just worried of the op itself x

ItsmePaula

Hello all

My biggest worry is that I might fail to lose weight, even with the sleeve. I've tried so many times to lose weight and never managed to keep any off, just got bigger and bigger. It seems so improbable that I might actually lose some and keep it off. I know that the sleeve is a really good tool for weight loss but I really need to get my head on board too!

Kerry. From what I know you will lose weight. Be mindful that the sleeve is not a fix, it's a tool. Your portion sizes are going to be teeny so you are going to lose the weight.

I can understand where you are coming from, for many years you have tried many diets, like we all have and long term they fail. This time is going to be different for you. This is your second chance at life. Have a positive mind set, always try to find the good on everything you do. You are going to be eating much healthier and obviously much less. Think of what you want. Make it your goal. Your head will follow with plenty of positive practise. You are in control of this. Your body is going to be burning up all that excess you are carrying. How amazing is that!!

Keep in touch with the forum, this is the best place to be. You are not alone on your journey. Write everything down you are feeling and if you can't find the positive, I am sure that someone else can.

For now take each day as it comes. See how far you have come already. xx

jj87

Yep I am freaking out...booked in for the 18th of July.

I am having a band, fitted in Kent. I am aa smoker and know I need to give up ...I am worried about this as I am abroad from the 24th of June till 4th of July and know I might smoke. :(

Nicky
I am getting sleeved on the 18th.. eeekkkkk

jj87

Hello all

I'm the 18th also.... u will lose weight

Laaux

I'm having VSG on 3rd July. I am beyond nervous but excited too. Wishing you all luck & I'm excited to see everyone's progress xxx