• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Kelly1 questions/answers here

Mixman

Kelly

I was scared of the surgery, but I was scared more of dying young.

My step-son was 18 months old when he lost his dad, I didn't want to do that to him again.

We all deserved a better life as a family and a long one together!

oo absolutly mixxy! thats my reasons to, but ive just got off the phone to my mum and she s like ' i really dont want you to have it done' what if something goes wrong im convinced im gonna die in this op, i know im abit of a drama queen but i cant shake it off!

You'll have more and more of these thoughts. I can't say 'Don't worry' because you are doing.

There is very slight chance of something happening on the operating table, you have to live with that as it's a fact. But then there's a chance you're going to get diabetes or heart problems.

There's a chance you'll get knocked over walking across the road too but I don't worry when I cross.

Your mum loves you, she always will and it doesn't matter to her if you're the thinnest or the fattest person in the world. You're her daughter, she'll worry about everything you do in life :)

very true, god i was so excited a few hours ago ha! i feel like a emotional car crash!! thanks mixxy x

kelly thoughts of death are totally normal , i was convinced i was going to die , i even wrote letters to my family and also wrote down what i wanted at my funeral . but ive had the op and im doing good except for not liking the dumping ...lol

thanks tray x

I was convinced I was going to die, right up to when I sat on the operating table! I think its completely normal...........well thats what I told myself when I was freaking out!!!

I took my mum to a support group before my op which really, really helped her understand why I was doing it, and reassured her that I was doing the right thing.

hi sooooo here goes ive some questions :)

~ how long after the op were you in pain for? and how long did you have to take it easy?.. ( i know tho each person is different)

~ is there any foods at all you cant eat?... or does it literally just restrict the amount you can eat?

~ how long were you in hospital for?

~ is there any side effects from the surgery?....

ummm i thnk thats it for now ha sorry to be a pain im sure ill be back! ( in the words of terminator!)

:thankyou:

~ how long after the op were you in pain for? and how long did you have to take it easy?.. ( i know tho each person is different)

I took pain meds for about a fortnight, but the worst of the pain was over after the first few days - possibly a week.
I took it easy-ish for six weeks, but that was mainly because I wasn't able to drive until then. However, we went on holiday to a cottage in Cumbria exactly two weeks after my op and I coped ok, but did get tired very quickly.

~ is there any foods at all you cant eat?... or does it literally just restrict the amount you can eat?

There isn't anything that I CAN'T eat. Lots of things that I DON'T eat - I've moved over to a much healthier diet and have pretty much cut out all processed foods, especially processed carbs. I did have one episode of dumping (which is rare, but not unknown for sleevers) after I had eaten some extremely sweet melon. It was an extremely unpleasant experience.

~ how long were you in hospital for?

I had my op on the Saturday and came home on the Thursday. I was only in that long because of my other health problems and because I always have a bad reaction to anaesthetic (extreme nausea being the worst of it!)

~ is there any side effects from the surgery?....

Yeah - you lose weight! Seriously though, I can't say that I've encountered any. I had a slight infection in one of my incision scars, but that soon cleared up.

Hope that helps, Kelly, but as you said - everyone is different.

Amanda x

thanks amanda, i do feel this is best route for me, the staples they use on the inside for the stomach i take it they desolve??.... oooo imagine if one came undone!!! :eek:

No, the staples are there for good. They are titanium. The doctor drew me a diagram of what the cutting and stapling tool looks like. I can't really describe it, but ask them to show you when you go for your appointment x

Hi Kelly. It's perfectly normal what you're feeling and there is always a risk but it's so low sweetie.

I was in hospital for 6 days as I had a blockage in my bowel after the op that made me vomit continously. I had chronic nausea for about a month but apart from that no other pain immediately. Once i was home i only had one dose of painkillers and then decided to stop and was fine.

Had problems a few months later though when started getting quite a lot of pain (could still work and stuff but it came in waves and made me draw a sharp breath each time). Went for loads of tests but all fine and have been pain free for nearly 2 months now.

No other problems to report and feeling much better about the whole thing now. Just over 4 months post op and have lost nearly 7 stone :) That makes it all worthwhile :)

ooo thats fab lisa thankyouuu x

ooo ive another one!

is there a high risk of getting a hernia from the sleeve surgery?...

Hi Kelly, you are having the same thoughts as me... at first... I wondered about the band... then the gastric bypass... now the sleeve... since I have a liking for savoury stuff big style and love sweet things... I am hoping for the gastric band... still wondering how this evaluates against the sleeve... my worry is... I am trying to exercise and spend less time on the computer so feel a bit perplexed... it's good to think everything through thoroughly to present at the surgeon's meeting and then to be advised what is best... I know what you mean... you certainly do change your thinking along the way! xxx

i know bev, tho i think id have to be hard pushed to change my mind about the sleeve i to think there ll think its the better option as i have a fair old bit of weight to shift, i feel abit calmer about the whole thing as i know deep down this is the best op for me x

It's the difference between the gastric bypass and gastric sleeve that I need to understand... xxx

i think basically the first bit of the bypass is the sleeve... so on the sleeve you stomach is basically like a sausage shape at the end of the op, and then if you have a bypass they go onto taking away the malasorbtion bit.... so they basically give the sleeve to peeps who are very overweight as a first meausre then once they lose weight they do the ssecond bit to turn it into the bypass, where as i would just ahve the sleeve so my stomach was smaller, but id still take the nutrients from the food, im not sure if ive made sense x

I think I have got it... the malabsorption of nutrients is a problem for a full gastric bypass... that's when we heard earlier in the week about vitamin supplements etc... but the sleeve allows your body to absorb nutrients? Is that how you figure it Kell? xxx

yep bev, sounds perfect hey! x

Back