• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers

tranquil_butterfly

Hi TB. What a lovely name. I have never chatted to you before on the forum, but I just wanted to say hi, and send healing vibes and let you know that strangers are rooting for you [so friends must be]. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Feeling overwhelmed and vulnerable is VERY normal in the circumstances. Absolutely to be expected. Please, please, please do try to take a measured approach to work. BELIEVE ME, I understand the impulse. We seem alike in this respect. At least take regular breaks, and I swear by guided meditations.
It's hard to ask for help. But do.
Am going to read your diary. All love to you.
Thank you for your kind words. I never started a diary on here, just posted here and there. I always meant to start a diary but after what happened with my first WLS it took a long time to get over the shock of it and I just never got round to starting...

By coincidence I started to read yours today. It is a very good read. I will continue to read it in bits. You are such a deep person and express your feelings and thoughts so well.

I am feeling very vulnerable and over sensitive to things at the moment. I just seem to be in this fog that I just cannot shake off. My job is unforgiving. It really is just a case of getting on with it or they will find someone else who will put up with the c***. I do it because I feel I am good at what I do and like everyone else I have my bills to pay. Then there is Mr TB who is my world. Life is really all about him and making sure he is ok. I find it hard with all the demands of work and caring for him even with the help I receive for him there is no time for me. Somehow we all keep going...because that is life.

TB x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi TB, I'm so sorry to hear you're in so much pain with your shoulder. It sounds like its going to take some time to repair so you really need to take care of yourself while it does. Easy to say I know but you and your health has to come first so please don't over do it with work.

Zinc deficiency presents as lower immunity, hair loss and skin problems but also loss of appetite and interest in food and poor healing so it sounds like it will be important to your recovery that you get your levels back up.

It's definitely worth checking on the multi vitamins but firstly they need to consider how they will be absorbed now you are bypassed, i.e. will taking a multi vitamin, even two be adequate? I take two a day, as advised but being sleeved not absorbing isn't an issue for me. It might be worth considering what foods you could try to up your levels too, (bearing in mind you struggle still with whole food and I totally get you with this, after throwing literally everything up the last year or so with my band). Foods high in zinc don't have to be really chewy or difficult to eat and include chickpeas and lentils, shellfish, avocado, dairy and eggs. Fruits such as apricots and berries are good sources too.

Take care lovely and keep posting, we're all here for you xx

tranquil_butterfly

Hi TB, I'm so sorry to hear you're in so much pain with your shoulder. It sounds like its going to take some time to repair so you really need to take care of yourself while it does. Easy to say I know but you and your health has to come first so please don't over do it with work.

Zinc deficiency presents as lower immunity, hair loss and skin problems but also loss of appetite and interest in food and poor healing so it sounds like it will be important to your recovery that you get your levels back up.

It's definitely worth checking on the multi vitamins but firstly they need to consider how they will be absorbed now you are bypassed, i.e. will taking a multi vitamin, even two be adequate? I take two a day, as advised but being sleeved not absorbing isn't an issue for me. It might be worth considering what foods you could try to up your levels too, (bearing in mind you struggle still with whole food and I totally get you with this, after throwing literally everything up the last year or so with my band). Foods high in zinc don't have to be really chewy or difficult to eat and include chickpeas and lentils, shellfish, avocado, dairy and eggs. Fruits such as apricots and berries are good sources too.

Take care lovely and keep posting, we're all here for you xx

Hi Mazza. Thanks for your kind words. I did wonder about absorption which is why I booked to speak to the doc. I don't know the extent of the doctors experience of WLS so it could be a bit of a difficult conversation. Thanks for all the tips on the foods with zinc. I will try introducing more of them into my diet. Right now food is a bit of a struggle because of this phobia I have. I really need to get over it so I can have more of a variety.

Thanks for all your support :hugs:and to everyone else too - it really means a lot.

TB x

tranquil_butterfly

I spoke to the GP today about the zinc deficiency and taking increased multivitamins. She understood my concerns and reassured me that doubling the normal dose would not cause any harm because much of what is in the tablets does not stay in the system. It made me realise that I really know little about the procedure I have had done. I listened to the consultant as to the reasons why I needed the revision to try and resolve the acid reflux but I have not fully appreciated what life with a bypass actually means. I need to read up more and get my head around it.

I have just tried eating food 'whole'. I say whole, it was tuna mashed down, with a mixed leaf salad, a few cherry tomatoes sliced in half and some cucumber sliced. I am feeling very uncomfortable after eating about half of what was on the plate. I have had salad before and had no problem consuming the amount I had today in one go. It is the first time I have eaten tuna in years. I am really feeling restriction, not like anything I have experienced before. I feel full to bursting. It is a really odd sensation. I need to persevere with this as I cannot continue eating mashed food forever. Perhaps mashing the food has meant I have been eating more than I should? As I am avoiding getting into a regime of weighing myself, I may have to just to monitor what happens if I do start to try and keep eating food whole. It would appear I eat less and feel full much more quickly than with mashed food. Sorry I am rambling! It is such a weird sensation I am feeling I just wanted to record it.

I am worried it will not stay down. I am back at my desk now to start working again. Hopefully it will settle down and stay put!

TB x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Well done for trying the tuna and now you know what restriction feels like too!

There's nothing wrong with being cautious, slow and steady and all that. Just take things at your own pace and stop as soon as you feel full xx

tranquil_butterfly

Well done for trying the tuna and now you know what restriction feels like too!

There's nothing wrong with being cautious, slow and steady and all that. Just take things at your own pace and stop as soon as you feel full xx
Thanks Mazza. It came as a bit of a shock. I still feel full so delaying my meal for tonight just to avoid any sickness issues. Your advice is as always sound.

Thanks

TB x

Bling Babe

You’ve done well to try “whole” food today it’s a great start and good that your feeling restriction too, I’m pleased the GP has given you a little nudge to research life with a bypass too xx

tranquil_butterfly

You’ve done well to try “whole” food today it’s a great start and good that your feeling restriction too, I’m pleased the GP has given you a little nudge to research life with a bypass too xx

I was in such a desperate state before I had the revision surgery that I was living day to day just holding on. I came back and lurked on the forum while I was recovering from the surgery. I concentrated on my teams guidance for the first 9 weeks. I guess in my mind I had not processed the difference between the sleeve and the bypass. To be honest until today I did not feel the difference other than I was able to keep things down. Now I need to change my mindset as I introduce more variety and try different things but not mashed up. It is still early days so I am just going to pace myself. Slow and steady.

TB x

Sarnie

I spoke to the GP today about the zinc deficiency and taking increased multivitamins. She understood my concerns and reassured me that doubling the normal dose would not cause any harm because much of what is in the tablets does not stay in the system. It made me realise that I really know little about the procedure I have had done. I listened to the consultant as to the reasons why I needed the revision to try and resolve the acid reflux but I have not fully appreciated what life with a bypass actually means. I need to read up more and get my head around it.

I have just tried eating food 'whole'. I say whole, it was tuna mashed down, with a mixed leaf salad, a few cherry tomatoes sliced in half and some cucumber sliced. I am feeling very uncomfortable after eating about half of what was on the plate. I have had salad before and had no problem consuming the amount I had today in one go. It is the first time I have eaten tuna in years. I am really feeling restriction, not like anything I have experienced before. I feel full to bursting. It is a really odd sensation. I need to persevere with this as I cannot continue eating mashed food forever. Perhaps mashing the food has meant I have been eating more than I should? As I am avoiding getting into a regime of weighing myself, I may have to just to monitor what happens if I do start to try and keep eating food whole. It would appear I eat less and feel full much more quickly than with mashed food. Sorry I am rambling! It is such a weird sensation I am feeling I just wanted to record it.

I am worried it will not stay down. I am back at my desk now to start working again. Hopefully it will settle down and stay put!

TB x
I was told at the hospital the other day that eating whole foods is better than mashed as you need them to feel full fir longer and feel the restriction, so it sounds perfectly normal, I think you just have to trust it and yes I think the more whole foods you eat the less quantity you need. Just test things slowly x

tranquil_butterfly

I had sickness last night which is worrying me a little. It is the second time since I had my revision surgery it has happened. I guess I should not panic. I was eating some fage yoghurt with a few strawberries chopped small into it. I had left a big gap from eating my evening meal before I ate it so I am not sure if I had overloaded my pouch. I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this? I am a real worry wort about sickness because of the acid reflux issue:(. I hope it was just an isolated incident. I did notice that I did feel more fatigued than usual through the day. I had been to the hospital for my first physio appointment for my shoulder and it was agony after they had finished with me. After my main meal I slumped in my chair and fell asleep. I am wondering now if something triggered dumping.

TB x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear TB it could be dumping, that's certainly how it effects me anyway, feeling or being sick then, feeling wiped out. It could have been the strawberries or the yoghurt but sometimes it's not obvious what caused it. Try not to let it worry you though as hopefully it'll be an isolated incidence xx

tranquil_butterfly

Thanks @Mazza. I am beginning to wonder now if It was dumping. I must admit I am not feeling too good after my meal this evening. Just need to monitor things. I never dumped with the sleeve so rather foolishly thought it would be the same with the bypass.

TB x

Bling Babe

Hopefully it’s just a one-off, dumping makes me very tired too, I believe your more likely to dump with a bypass but what makes you dump one day may not necessarily cause dumping on another day, it could even be a bug, there seems to be so much going around at the moment.
I hope you feel better soon and the painful shoulder following physio eases quickly.
Take care TB xx

tranquil_butterfly

Hopefully it’s just a one-off, dumping makes me very tired too, I believe your more likely to dump with a bypass but what makes you dump one day may not necessarily cause dumping on another day, it could even be a bug, there seems to be so much going around at the moment.
I hope you feel better soon and the painful shoulder following physio eases quickly.
Take care TB xx
Thank you @Bling Babe.

TB x

tranquil_butterfly

I am pleased to report no sickness. I tried the fage and strawberries again and ate them very slowly. I wanted to eliminate them as a cause as I really like the combination and with the protein in the fage it is a good way to get it in. I hope it was just an isolated incident. This whole process is baby steps all the time. I am finding it much more challenging than the sleeve.

TB x

Alexandra Nevermind

TB x
Yes, feeling that full on practically nothing weirded me out for weeks! My sleeve seems more forgiving now, which makes me feel a little scared! But anyway - you are doing the right things! Slow and steady. Try to enjoy the luxurious act of eating and tasting?