• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me and my battle with the bulge (Gastric Band)

u defo wouldnt like to lose ur job tam. stay positive. use ur fitness pal.......x

Whenever I have dieted successfully (before I put it all back on again!!) I've noticed that I'm really,really organised with my food shopping. I bought good food that I wanted to eat and none of the crap. Just don't have it in the house! I've set some new rules in our house for me post-op..... not buying crisps,biscuits,cakes,bread,pasta, icecream or chocolate!!

Totally agree with planning your food shop and making a plan of what you will eat every day.

This week ive done just that!

Im going back on atkins this week as carbs really are the devil in disguise. My shopping has been delivered today and menus all planned.
I really do love atkins and have always had good results on it BUT this time i need to take calories into consideration. Previously i would easily demolish 3-4 bags of pork scratchings per day....i obviously cant do that so ive not even bought any.

I really enjoy cooking loads of chicken satay skewers, low carb sausages on the weekend and nibbiling on them throughout the week when i get peckish.
I love eating cauliflower cheese (low fat version this time) and you just cant beat sf jelly and whipped cream!

I think mattessons do a big chunk of seasoned chicken on a stick in most supermarkets and petrol stations which are great for atkin lovers and they are definately a good size portion for us banders. Pure protein!

Feeling better about my job today as ive made some staff changes (promotions and demotions) and the structure ive put in place will help organise my time better. Only time will tell!

Im also going to buy myself an exercise bike as im fed up of not doing any exercise. If its in the front room when i get in a 'silly-o'clock' at least i can do a few miles when im watching the TV to wind down.....just need to persuade hubby as traditionally all equipment i buy ends up as a clothes horse.

Spoke to my provider this week and she is really happy with my progress. She told me that most banders put weight on before their 1st fill.

So im off to check ebay to see if i can get a bargain bike!

Hey tamgredan your making my life very easy - everything your saying, doing or gonna do I've said it, done it or am gonna do it. I feel I've been cloned! You've lost 23lbs already that's brill. Keep up the good work.

hi tam, stay focused. i lost 1lb this week, going to walk plenty in the coming week. avoiding carbs. had boiled rice tonight (couple of spoonfuls). was worried about it getting stuck but went down a treat. bread is still the enemy. havent had any in few days, and nothing has stuck in few days either. did u get a bike? ebay is great isnt it. have just bought wii fit game on amazon and cant wait to get it. keep going girl.

1LB off this week!

Considering ive eating a lot of bread and crisps im chuffed with that. Ive got my fill next week and i would love to loose 3lb ready for that as that will mean 2 stone gone....but i doubt it.

Been really busy this week in work, been doing 14 hour night shifts and have not stopped walking. If only i had eaten a bit wiser i would have dropped more.

Im off to lidl today to do my shopping as i hear they do meat cheaper than the big supermarkets. Im stocking up on low carb foods and been searching the internet for freezable foods so i can make them on a sunday and take to work throughout the week. Im planning:
Meatballs in tomato sauce
Fish pie
beefburgers
chicken skewers
granola breakfast bars
Homemade soups
Im also going to try making a weeks worth of chopped salad and fruit salad to take with me.
Not 100% carb free but ill reduce this week and see how i get on with pre-makinsoupg foods and if im sucessfull ill plan better next week.
I know ive got to do a few days of liquids and mushies after my fill hence the fish pie and homemade soups.

Some more people have noticed this week that im loosing weight and im just lapping up the comments. Even though i dont really see it yet, i know my trousers are looser and the rolls of fat on my back dont really bulge over my bra strap as much.

Not got anything really stuck this week, bread gets a little stuck if i dont chew it well enough.

I also went to doncaster on business this week and consumed 4 glasses of wine along with a delish chinese meal. All went down fine, however, the day after when we were travelling home i didnt even get hungry until about 3pm where we stopped at a service station and i got a peach slushie from costa coffee and a lemon cupcake....yum yum yum

Things im noticing with the band:-

1) if i bed to my left my port feels like its pushing against my rib cage and can be a little uncomfortable
2) my 2nd largest incision has got a bit itchy this week but looks fine
3) crap foods go down too easy, even with big mouthfulls
4) healthy foods take longer to go down
5) my portion sizes are still considerably smaller than pre-op
6) I dont get hunger pangs anymore as the old head hunger has kicked in. Even as i sit here typing, im not hungry what so ever, but my mind is thinking about the pack of fridge raiders ive got!
7) every time i eat a little too much i get a dredded panic attack that ive stretched my pouch.

I still cant beleive that im not even 2 months post op, i feel like ive had this band for years.

I am really interested to hear your band-story! You sound quite relaxed and accepting of how your band works. I think you sound really confident that your weight will come off too which is one of my biggest dreads as I've 'failed' so many times to keep it off. I like that you can have a 'wee' reward yet it doesn't mean disaster either. I could live with that!
I bought a new cookbook this week... Cooking for weightloss surgery! I want to start thinking about food in a different way too.
Have a great week....you're nearly there...2 stones!! When was the last time you lost 2 stones eh!? and kept it of!! :)
xx

Hi I am due for a by pass very soon but like you dread that head hunger voice it sneaks in far to easily now so I hope with the bypass and losing weight will make me less tired so I can find things to occupy myself to fight the boredom in the evenings when I am to tired to do much but can't let myself go to sleep as it is to early and as I wake before dawn if I make it til 10pm before I let myself go to sleep without giving in to sleep any earlier. Lol
Good luck and well done for finding things you can eat and enjoy but also batch cook at the weekends at least it makes it easier for you with all the travelling you do for work.

woop. well done tam :D

I'm really worried about the injections :( why do we need to do this? And also time off work - I'm just off the week of the surgery - monday to Friday - Should I book the following week as well? Don't want to waste my leave cos I'm planning a wee cheapy sun hol in October and need my leave.

I'm really worried about the injections :( why do we need to do this? And also time off work - I'm just off the week of the surgery - monday to Friday - Should I book the following week as well? Don't want to waste my leave cos I'm planning a wee cheapy sun hol in October and need my leave.

I booked 2 weeks and was glad i did as my job is very demanding and i canr sit at a desk for hours. Maybe take 1 week as holiday then the 2nd week as sick leave? but it depends on your job.

As for the injections, they are nothing to worry yourself over. They will show you how to do it correctly. Just pinch a big piece of fat and you will be fine.

Good luck!

good going Tam. you have the right frame of mind. i am more positive today, had few vodkas last night with my sisters and had a real good night apart from the headache lol. my first drink as a bandette. i did nibble on the nuts and crisps, but who cares lol. more walking tonight... talk soon x

1ST FILL COMPLETED!

Yesterday i travelled to liverpool by train for my 2pm appointment. I had not eaten or drank anything for 2 hours prior to the appointment as instructed by my provider.
When i got there she asked me how i was doing and got me on the scales. I have officially lost 2 stone and body fat was down. Excellent news!

I told her that im trying to follow a low carb diet but not too strict with myself as ive learned from the past that being too strict causes me to fail. I have upped my fruit & vegetable intake this week and the extra water from them has made me go to the loo more. More weeing, more weight loss - so this week will be about 3lb loss for me which is the best result ive had in about 4 weeks.

Anyway, i got onto her bed and lifted my top (god this sounds like a saucy film!). She prodded and poked to the left of my biggest scar but couldnt find the port. This was quite painful as she was pressing against my rig cage. I then stood up to see if she could find it, but there was nothing there.
At this point, i got worried that my port had come away from my insides and was floating around in my body so the sweating began.
I then told her where i though the port was (to the right of my big scar) but after more prodding and poking this was just a build up of scar tissue. More sweating!
She then thought she found something so inserted the needle (this was just a tiny scratch and didnt hurt at all), but after moving it around, no port was in that area.

I was panicking now, thinking i would have to go back for more surgery.

Then, she got me to lie back onto the bed and prodded much lower down my abdomen. We went about 4 inches below my big scar (next to the tiny incision scar) and WHOOP WHOOP she found the port. There was no way in my life had i even noticed that this is where my port was....i was amazed.
She put in 4ml and made me view it to make sure she was not conning me, then took the 4ml back out to double check she had got the needle in the right place and not just inserted it into my body. As she pulled back even more came out. This was a surprise for us both as roger ackroyd NEVER puts saline into a band. She thinks it was the clean-up nurse who may have done it.
Anyway, she put 5ml into my band.

Band fills really are painless....when you know where your port is!

I also found out that my band is the swedish brand.

I have 5ml in my 9ml band.

I then had to take small sips of water to make sure all was ok. Upon my 1st sip, i noticed it was not going down as well as 'yesterday'. She advised me to sit in reception and drink some more, and if it felt any different from 'yesterday' i was to go back in and maybe take 1 ml out.

I sat in reception and drank, and after about 15 minutes i realised all was ok (all the prodding and poking probably affected my insides) so i went home.

Im on fluids now for 3 days, so stopped at the shop to buy some smoothies and soup.
Last night in work, all was going down fine, but i could feel some restriction. I wont know how sucessfull the fill has been until im back on solids.

When im back on solids, im going to review my restriction and weight losses then maybe think of another fill. Im happy to stay on the senic route as long as im loosing each week.
Going forwards now (knowing where my port is) a fill will not take any longer than 2 minutes.

Right, im off for some tomato soup!

Well done Tam. I haven't had my first fill yet and am now on normal food but it feels like I could eat a full meal. Nothing has got stuck yet either so I am eating more and more and put on a pound this week! Going through a 'have I wasted £6k' stage at the moment - hopefully when I get a fill and start losing again I will be happier.

Sharon x

good result tam. i am due for my band in weeks time. i was annoyed last week with 1 lb gain but pleased to have lost 4 this week. i am walking loads and still counting my calories. i have no urge for fast food or chinese food which is quite unusual for me. i am afraid incase they cant find my port. i am having pain still on my left side. it comes and goes. its not any of my wounds as they have all healed quite nicely. i am concerned about the pain as sometimes i cant bend! any suggestions? your doing real well Tam, proud of ya ;)

good result tam. i am due for my band in weeks time. i was annoyed last week with 1 lb gain but pleased to have lost 4 this week. i am walking loads and still counting my calories. i have no urge for fast food or chinese food which is quite unusual for me. i am afraid incase they cant find my port. i am having pain still on my left side. it comes and goes. its not any of my wounds as they have all healed quite nicely. i am concerned about the pain as sometimes i cant bend! any suggestions? your doing real well Tam, proud of ya ;)

Thanks Maura, you doing great yourself!
You really need to ring your provider if still having pain bad enough that you cant bend. Do you know exactly where your port is? when you bend is your port right in the middle of where your body bends? if your port has been stitched to your inside wall and its right on a bend, you may be pulling it when you do bend! given a call...afterall you have paid for this service...they may recommend something or tell you everything is fine!

5.25LBS OFF!!!!

Thats the best result ive had in many weeks and i know why.

This week ive reduced my carbohydrate intake by mainly eating protein (meat, cheese, fish) salads (spinich, lettuce, cucumber, gerkins, spring onions, 1 baby tomato, beetroot) and fruits salads (every fruit except banana you can think of) and all the extra water intake from these foods has helped me along.

I mentioned a few weeks back in my diary that i had stalled so i upped my water intake and WHOOP i lost 1lb overnight.

Note to self: "DRINK MORE WATER AND REDUCE YOUR CARBS - YOU KNOW IT HELPS"

As im on liquids at the moment that too had helped. But 3.5lbs was off prior to my fill, so liquids has helped by a further 1.75lbs.

Im so fed up of liquids, i have to stay on them for 3 days but tonight i was so weak i pinched a few teaspoons of my sons fish pie. It went down fine so im not concerned.

Its 1am and im wide awake, this is definately a down side to working night shift, plus i had a horrible dream and when i woke from it, my stomach was making noises sooooo loudly that ive had to come downstairs and make myself a cup-a-soup in an attempt to drown the noise. It only ever gets this noisey on liquids.

I asked my hubby today if he could notice that im loosing weight. He can and then asked me why i asked him that questions. He asked me was i not happy with my progress.

"Of course i am" i told him. "Yes i would love to wake up thin but that is not going to happen and ive said from the start im taking this slow"...he was pleased to hear me say that.
You see, previously ive gone at a diet so committed and the weight has dropped off that when i treat myself, i would totally fall off the wagon. NOT THIS TIME, i have said all along im not going to deprive myself and need to learn the word 'moderation'
I read other peoples diaries and threads and they kick themselves as they have had icecream or sweets. This is not a diet to me, its my new way of living. Ive paid £6k for this band and it will work for me, but the whole idea was for it to improve my quality of life, which means 'good food and drink'.
Im planning on this journey to healthier weight to take me 2 years, if it takes 3 then so be it...ive obviously had a few good nights and family times along the way!

2 Stone gone!, it was soooo good so see 17 on the scales today. I have an excel spreadsheet that tracks my weight and graphs it. I was nice to look back today and see the 19 then the 18 and now the 17's.

Im still a trouser size 24 and top size 24 but they are getting looser, and people are starting to notice. They say you notice after the 2 stone mark!

Tummy noises have calmed down now, so lets hope i can get back to sleep.

Night Night
xx

What a great post Tam. It sums everything up brilliantly. I'm going to try your tips, I need to be better prepared at work and take something rather than end up with a tuna or cheese jacket every day. And my liquid intake is very low, I just forget to drink so I really need to work on that too.

You are doing really well - starting to get jealous lol!

Back