• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missy’s Journey!

Congratulations on the weight shift and getting to a new weight range. I've seen a lot of people on here eat weetabix or ready brek for breakfast at the puree stage.
Thanks. I will give it a go! Can’t wait to move off the mush though x

Week 4.....purée stage.
What a silly girl I am! Got home at 2:30 to do my first purée meal. Made bolognaise (blended) and broccoli & cauliflower (mushed). I’ve been taking my iron capsule sprinkled onto a spoon of soup. So, put some bolognaise on a tablespoon sprinkled on the iron covered with more bolgnaise and gulped the whole spoon down! OMG! What was I thinking!!! Just habit and didn’t think about it and now I have realised I won’t be doing that again! Had a horrible stuck feeling like when I had my band and something got stuck. With my band I used to drink to unblock it... so I had a bit of water and felt worse! I’ve been frothing and been sick for the first time in 4 weeks. So bloody annoyed with myself as I know it has to be teeny amounts on a spoon. What do people do if food gets stuck?
My 2nd mistake ... butternut squash mixed with dairylea triangle... disgusting and in the bin. Not a great start to the purée stage and I was looking forward to moving on with different foods.
Anyway, on a brighter note, I have lost 5lb this week!! The pesky 2lb gained last week and another 3 :D. I’m now 14st 12. That’s 2st 3lb since my pre op diet.

Week 4.....purée stage.
What a silly girl I am! Got home at 2:30 to do my first purée meal. Made bolognaise (blended) and broccoli & cauliflower (mushed). I’ve been taking my iron capsule sprinkled onto a spoon of soup. So, put some bolognaise on a tablespoon sprinkled on the iron covered with more bolgnaise and gulped the whole spoon down! OMG! What was I thinking!!! Just habit and didn’t think about it and now I have realised I won’t be doing that again! Had a horrible stuck feeling like when I had my band and something got stuck. With my band I used to drink to unblock it... so I had a bit of water and felt worse! I’ve been frothing and been sick for the first time in 4 weeks. So bloody annoyed with myself as I know it has to be teeny amounts on a spoon. What do people do if food gets stuck?
My 2nd mistake ... butternut squash mixed with dairylea triangle... disgusting and in the bin. Not a great start to the purée stage and I was looking forward to moving on with different foods.
Anyway, on a brighter note, I have lost 5lb this week!! The pesky 2lb gained last week and another 3 :D. I’m now 14st 12. That’s 2st 3lb since my pre op diet.

You’re doing fabulous!! Well done xx

OMG! That's awful about the stuck food. Hopefully you'll get some good advice from folks on here. I'll be watching to take notes.

Congrats of shifting that pesky 2lbs from the other week and a loos on top of that too. :0clapper:

OMG! That's awful about the stuck food. Hopefully you'll get some good advice from folks on here. I'll be watching to take notes.

Congrats of shifting that pesky 2lbs from the other week and a loos on top of that too. :0clapper:
Thanks @slimkim it was not a nice experience. Just managed to eat my purée properly this time! The worst bit was tasting the iron as it came back up! Lesson well and truly learnt! X

Oh dear
It must be hard to remember to eat small bits at a time. But use it as a learning curve & move on. You are doing so well x

Oh dear
It must be hard to remember to eat small bits at a time. But use it as a learning curve & move on. You are doing so well x
Thanks @Emma1504 It was totally mindless! Just into such a routine with how I did it with soup, I didn’t give it a thought till it went down! 2nd lot of purée was eaten much slower... half a teaspoon at a time. It went down much better.

Week 4.5...
Well, the purée stage has been interesting! Wow! What a change from the liquid stage. I got quite cocky towards the end of the liquid stage and thought the purée stage would be a doddle as I had mastered 200ml of soup. How wrong was I! It’s such a learning curve and my cockiness has certainly been beaten out of me. I’ve continued to have 1 soup a day (at work) which is great as then there are no mishaps. I’ve been having mainly blended homemade bolognaise with mushed broccoli and cauliflower. I’ve actually enjoyed this. I’m introducing more foods (slowly) as it makes me less nervous and I know how my pouch reacts. All has been well since the mishap with my first purée food until last night! I have been eating approximately 4 tbsp of food and eating half a teaspoon at a time. I have eaten slowly and been listening to my pouch to work out when I’m full. I’ve discovered I get this growl feeling, which I have to be conscious of, to know when I need to stop. It’s difficult identifying it as my stomach makes noises and grumbles as the food is going down. It is important to be mindful just to the eating at mealtimes and not get distracted. This was all going well until I tried cod in parsley sauce last night... never again!! I’m not a great fan of it anyway but thought it would be a good mushy source of protein at this stage, and something different to eat. My pouch did not like it at all!! It just wouldn’t go down! It was like a ball stuck in my chest. I had some frothing - got rid of that and then spent the next hour hoping it went down, but the only way was up! I’m not sure if it was too dense but it felt so heavy... never again! Can’t stand the thought of puréed scrambled egg so I’m feeling limited. My OH is currently making a homemade cottage pie with carrot and swede top instead of mash. So that’s a new one for this week. I’ve also introduced oats this weekend and it was lovely to eat something that tasted as it should do ‘normal’. My weight seems to be reacting well to the change in food. The dietician said (when I had my small gain) that it usually happens when we move from one stage to another. However, I’ve lost 2lb since Wednesday (my official weigh in/surgery day) and I think this is because my diet is more varied from the soup and yoghurt I was having. I still seem to be having 3-4 very small meals a day. Yoghurt for breakfast (100g Arla protein), soup for lunch and 1 or 2 small bolognaise & veg meals. My aim is to stay away from ready meals and white starchy carbs. I know I could purée mash n beans but I want to try to have more protein/veg homemade foods. That’s how I ate pre-op but I just used to eat tons of junk too! I went to the cinema the other night and it hit me hard how my life has changed. I had to really think about what to take with me. I made tea in a flask! I didn’t want sweets or popcorn or anything like that, but felt I should have something to drink. The tea filled me up. My clothes are starting to get quite big/loose and I’m not going to get much longer out of them. I love the peace of mind I have... I no longer feel tortured by food. Remembering to eat is now the hard bit! Never thought I’d say that!

Congratulations on figuring out when your stomach has had enough. Its amazing to think about eating just half a teaspoon of food at a time! Are you able to eat and drink at the same time or do you wait the 30 minutes before and after?

Hi @slimkim ... thanks! My book doesn’t say about not drinking for half an hour before, but I don’t have anything big to drink before eating. I have stuck to not drinking for an hour after and have done this even on the soup stage. I then found out after almost 4 weeks on liquids, that it didn’t matter on the liquid stage. To be honest, I probably couldn’t do both and I wanted to get into the habit. However, sometimes I am actually thirsty after food. I’ve also been leaving bits of food, which is a great achievement as it’s something I’ve always struggled to do. Hope all is going well with you.

Aww hunny well done on loss AND loose clothes-that fab. Sorry about the cod and sauce. Not a great one to have then hunny xxx

Week 5...
Getting used to the purée stage... can’t wait to be off it though! My appetite seems to have increased a little too and I can eat a little bit more. 2lb loss this week and it is TOTM.

Have you pureed anything that you thought was exceptionally nice in that form? I struggle with textures with food so I know I'm going to have to get really creative with my recipes.

Week 5...
Getting used to the purée stage... can’t wait to be off it though! My appetite seems to have increased a little too and I can eat a little bit more. 2lb loss this week and it is TOTM.

Well done on the loss @Missyme you’re doing fab. The purée stage doesn’t last long and then things really start improving x

Have you pureed anything that you thought was exceptionally nice in that form? I struggle with textures with food so I know I'm going to have to get really creative with my recipes.
I struggle with some textures too. I can’t drink anything soluble and have managed to avoid any soluble meds! I’m not being very inventive to be honest. There’s not much that I think would be palatable in baby food form! Broccoli and cauli has been nice with my puréed homemade bolgnaise. Homemade cottage pie with carrots and swede (instead of mash) has been ok. Apart from those, I’ve made pea and ham soup (thicker than liquid stage) Arla yoghurt without thinning it down and my saving grace has been oats as it tastes as it should. I can’t really imagine what else to purify that would be palatable. Mince based things seem to be the best for me. Sorry I’m not much help. I suppose it’s whatever suits your tastebuds... I preferred the liquid stage to this! Moving on to the soft stage on Wednesday - hopefully more options then!

Week 6...
1lb loss this week. The dietician said that weight loss can stall when going through the different food stages. From previous dieting experience, my body tends to have 2 slower weeks and then 2 weeks that are a bit faster. However, when I look back at my monthly loss over January, I’ve lost 9lb (5 week month). I did lose just under 2 stone in December though! I didn’t feel too great at the weekend. Felt slightly dizzy, exhausted, headache and struggled to eat. Calpol tastes soooooo sweet, I was gagging. I will miss ibuprofen as I use that as well as paracetamol when I have headaches (pre op). I have been working some very long hours during the week and just crashed. I feel so normal and quite energetic most of the time that I forget that my body is still recovering from major surgery! Had my regular check up off the dietician on Saturday and she was really impressed with my weight loss and the foods I’m eating. I move onto the soft stage today and I’m sooooo glad to get away from the slop/baby food. I had a sickness episode with soup the other day (at work) which hasn’t happened before. I asked if stress can affect the pouch as it used to with my band. She wasn’t sure and the advanced dietician emailed me to answer my query. As I thought, he said stress/anxiety can affect food going down. It felt just like when I’ve had the same with my band so I was glad to know this could be the reason why this episode happened. I’ve lost 2 and a half stone now and more people are beginning to notice. I’m going away with my OH next weekend... just hope I can find things to eat and that I’m not sick!

Last edited:
Back