• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My gastric band diary from the very beginning

Hi guys,

Just an update, 2 days post op and not feeling brill, still have a lot of wind pain (how long does this usually last?, I'm constantly on windeze and peppermint tea) also my main cut is quite sore and weeping a little but just been told to keep it covered and keep an eye on it.

Had to take fybogel today too as not been to the loo for a week! (Sorry if that's TMI) but just wondered if this is normal? Doing everything I should be re. Walking around the house and wearing my compression socks and taking heparin so I guess it's just a matter of waiting to recover.

I also have no appetite whatsoever and finding it hard to get my calories and fluids in, but I think this is down to the surgery swelling so I expect this to subside soon.

Thanks for reading and hope everyone is doing well :) x

I was quite lucky with wind pain, had a bit but not too bad.

The weeping wound might need checking. My port was a bit bloody so I rang my friend, a nurse, to check it. The glue had popped and my wound was open. Ended up taking a while to heal fully.

I also never went the loo for a bit. I took lactulose and hot tea in the end shifted it. Try upping water intake, will help with this.

I wouldn't worry about calories you are taking in just concentrate on fluids at first .

And good luck x x x

Hey baileyamber good to see you on the other side! I had mine fitted Wednesday and today I feel pretty rough, my gas hurts as do my ribs but overall I feel very happy with all that's happened.

Hi guys,

Just an update, 2 days post op and not feeling brill, still have a lot of wind pain (how long does this usually last?, I'm constantly on windeze and peppermint tea) also my main cut is quite sore and weeping a little but just been told to keep it covered and keep an eye on it.

Had to take fybogel today too as not been to the loo for a week! (Sorry if that's TMI) but just wondered if this is normal? Doing everything I should be re. Walking around the house and wearing my compression socks and taking heparin so I guess it's just a matter of waiting to recover.

I also have no appetite whatsoever and finding it hard to get my calories and fluids in, but I think this is down to the surgery swelling so I expect this to subside soon.

Thanks for reading and hope everyone is doing well :) x

Hi Baileyamber & Joujou, I'm now 11 days post op from by surgery at Dolan Park with Mr Li on 23rd April and you have just mirrored all my post op problems (apart from weeping port). Each day now gets easier and you feel stronger when I look back to this time last Saturday I feel 100% better I even had to take another week off work has just felt exhausted, I must say what helped me was walking about with the wind pain as it wouldn't come out in the first few days. My bowels finally started working after about 5/6 days. I still get little niggles of pain at left rib but I don't need painkillers and all my wounds have healed brilliantly. I'd say after the first week you start to improve and I then felt more positive about having the surgery. Appetite gradually improves I now get around 1000-1200 calories but couldn't manage half that last week.

The bonus is my weight loss today is 12 lb in 3 weeks (including 1 week pre op diet) so just 2 to go for my first stone !!!

Rest and stick to THG guidelines and you will be fine. Take care.
Lisa x

Oh Lisa thanks for the heads up!!! That is great news and blimey 12 Lbs in 3 weeks !!!!!!!! Way to go you! Today is day 3 after surgery and I still feel weak and tender but each day improves. Be glad when the gas pain has gone and the watery mouth first thing in the morning. Well done again and keep up the fantastic work. Jouella xx

Hi there

Re your wind pain... I absolutely swear by slightly cooled boiled water- just plain. It has never failed to fix me!

I had my band yesterday and although I do have much wind/pain, I am regularly drinking boiled water and its going as fast as its coming so can't complain!

My left side (port wound) is sharp sore but otherwise feeling quite chipper :)

Hope your pain eases very soon
Love Bex x

Hi Baileyamber & Joujou, I'm now 11 days post op from by surgery at Dolan Park with Mr Li on 23rd April and you have just mirrored all my post op problems (apart from weeping port). Each day now gets easier and you feel stronger when I look back to this time last Saturday I feel 100% better I even had to take another week off work has just felt exhausted, I must say what helped me was walking about with the wind pain as it wouldn't come out in the first few days. My bowels finally started working after about 5/6 days. I still get little niggles of pain at left rib but I don't need painkillers and all my wounds have healed brilliantly. I'd say after the first week you start to improve and I then felt more positive about having the surgery. Appetite gradually improves I now get around 1000-1200 calories but couldn't manage half that last week.

The bonus is my weight loss today is 12 lb in 3 weeks (including 1 week pre op diet) so just 2 to go for my first stone !!!

Rest and stick to THG guidelines and you will be fine. Take care.
Lisa x

Hi lisadee, your message was spot on, 8 days post op and I feel soooooo much better than I did last week, no wind pain and my wound seems to be healing slowly but ok. Noticed my appetite is gradually coming back but I'm still feeling satisfied on around 800 cals so That's good.

Here's to the mushy stage- I can't wait haha. Well done on your weight Loss you have done great :) x

Oh Lisa thanks for the heads up!!! That is great news and blimey 12 Lbs in 3 weeks !!!!!!!! Way to go you! Today is day 3 after surgery and I still feel weak and tender but each day improves. Be glad when the gas pain has gone and the watery mouth first thing in the morning. Well done again and keep up the fantastic work. Jouella xx

Hi joujou how are you feeling? I feel so much better now the first week is over, hope your doing ok :)

Hi there

Re your wind pain... I absolutely swear by slightly cooled boiled water- just plain. It has never failed to fix me!

I had my band yesterday and although I do have much wind/pain, I am regularly drinking boiled water and its going as fast as its coming so can't complain!

My left side (port wound) is sharp sore but otherwise feeling quite chipper :)

Hope your pain eases very soon
Love Bex x

Hi bex, thanks for the message, thankfully my wind pain has now gone and I'm feeling much better this week, how are you? Are you sick of soup like me? I can't wait to have some scrambled egg next week, just hope it still likes me haha x

Hey ladies I'm feeling like a normalish person WHOOOOHOOOOO !!! Had the worst day on Monday where I actually cried !! Boy I felt so weak and ill but I kept say to my OH " I don't regret it" which I most certainly don't !! Lost 16lbs in 2 weeks so I am one happy girl!!! It's a week today and I'm still on tincy wincy portions as I just can't or don't feel particularly hungry ( hope this bad boy keeps up)

Do any of you still get a twinge of shoulder pain, still get it on day 7!!!!

And baileyamber bless you for asking !!!! We are so lucky to have this family here aren't we!!!!

We certainly are! This site is great for support :)

Hello peeps!

Just an update, almost 3 weeks post op now and feeling ok, lost a stone so very happy about that, got my first fill on 03/06/2012 and atually looking forward to it as i feel my appetite has gradually come back and im able to eat quite a lot more than i could a week ago, hope this is normal. My weight loss has stopped at the minute but i'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch.

Hope everyone is well x

Wow a stone in one month. That's amazing. I have been told not to expect any weight loss in the first few weeks because of the operation and the body adjusting to everything.

I was banded 4 days ago and still hurt so much. My husband wants to go back to work but I can't face being alone just yet. I certainly don't have the energy to do any food preparation. It's good to hear that everything is returning to normal for you. I hope the fill gives you some restriction if you feel ready for it.

Wow a stone in one month. That's amazing. I have been told not to expect any weight loss in the first few weeks because of the operation and the body adjusting to everything.

I was banded 4 days ago and still hurt so much. My husband wants to go back to work but I can't face being alone just yet. I certainly don't have the energy to do any food preparation. It's good to hear that everything is returning to normal for you. I hope the fill gives you some restriction if you feel ready for it.

Thanks, don't worry you will feel better in a few days, I had terrible wind pain for 4-5 days but was surprised how quickly I recovered after that first week. I just had slim fast shakes and soups at first so didn't have to prepare anything. Take care x

hi glad to hear from you bailey amber - was getting a bit worried! had my op yesterday, no wind or pain or anything really, just constantly feeling very very tired and sluggish. Got a little upset yesterday cos all the other banders went home after their ops but i stayed in for the night, and couldnt understand why i was not feeling as good as them. Having said that, i did have to have a hernia repaired at the same time x

hi sorry its me again. do you think that as i have no pain or wind yet i will still get it? or am i just one of the lucky ones?

Hi Jayne

I still feel horrible and I had my op last Friday. I think everyone reacts to the operation differently. The nurses were telling me that some people walk out 4 hours after their bands and some stay overnight. Personally I was glad I stayed. I wouldn't have managed the journey home and I got morphine in the hospital which did help me rest.

Just like some people will loose weight in the liquid only phase and yet I have been told not to weigh myself because many people actually put weight on due to the water retention after the operation. It seems the same journey has lots of different routes!!

Hello peeps!

Just an update, almost 3 weeks post op now and feeling ok, lost a stone so very happy about that, got my first fill on 03/06/2012 and atually looking forward to it as i feel my appetite has gradually come back and im able to eat quite a lot more than i could a week ago, hope this is normal. My weight loss has stopped at the minute but i'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch.

Hope everyone is well x

Wow- reading this is like reading my own diary! I am EXACTLY the same as you!

Banded on 4 may...

Lost 17lb so far, 1st fill on 3june and I didn't lose anything last week- hmph- I called the dietician and she told me not to expect weight loss now till 2 weeks post fill... And that the increased amounts are completely normal :)

X

Hi Bex- I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one, all sorts goes though your mind like 'its not working' 'I'm doing something Wrong' but that's when you lot put my mind at ease and I realise its normal!

Take care x

Back