• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey....

Val

Committed Weight Loser
Hi
Real name is Val aka Minn:)
I have surgery this coming Thursday
I am very nervous:sigh:
I'm afraid of the anaesthetic:(
I am extremely overweight :eat:
and
I am a mature bander..
lol sounds like an AA advert
but in a way that is very much what it is like, you admit your addiction and hope to do something about it :)

Ok well my story begins way back when I was 16
I was 11 stone and 5'10" and my Aunt, God bless her said I didn't look like Twiggy, so the seed was planted I was FAT!:rolleyes:

I started to diet and eat, diet and eat, so began the phase of my life they call Yo-yo dieting:rolleyes:

At the age of 23
I joined the Police
I was 13 stone and cautioned to watch my weight, I was however very fit played sport etc etc

I married a Police Officer and I am still married 37 years later, Graham has been my constant support and watched me over the years change from a sporty fit woman to a steadily growing obese woman although he never married a 24 stone woman he has never once complained about my size, Bless:innocent0002:

Well 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren later its time to stop this madness and the answer for me is ...
A Gastric Band

So I went to the Dolan Hospital and was seen by Martin Richardson, now I cannot say he is Mister Personality of 2013 but as long as he is good with a knife Who the hell cares :)

So I started the pre Op Diet 4 weeks ago
3 weeks 1000 cals
1 Week the 'God Awful Milk' diet, every day I genuinely think Im gonna die of starvation before the Op, but lets be honest my body has a lot to fall back on

So the first 3 weeks disappointed lost only a few pounds...However 'God awful milk diet' so far 11 pounds!!Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :8855:

So when I go down to surgery on Thursday I shall be 2 stone lighter than at my heaviest weight of 24.7

I shall continue this long and boring Diary if something interesting pops into mind that you may care to read

Thank you for stopping by
Love Val xxxx:)

Val, I relate, as I posted elsewhere about my own fear of anaesthetic and walked to surgery weighing 24 stone!

I wish I'd started the journey earlier, but it's a wonderful tool IF you work with it, the guidelines and stick to them :)

I'm now 13 1/2 months out, still trying to find restriction but 10 stone lighter, almost 10 dress sizes smaller :)

This is the start of your new life :)

My first consultation with THG I weighed 24.7. I'm very early in the journey, but so far it's been brilliant:)

Good luck for Thursday, let us know how you get on!

Val, I relate, as I posted elsewhere about my own fear of anaesthetic and walked to surgery weighing 24 stone!

I wish I'd started the journey earlier, but it's a wonderful tool IF you work with it, the guidelines and stick to them :)

I'm now 13 1/2 months out, still trying to find restriction but 10 stone lighter, almost 10 dress sizes smaller :)

This is the start of your new life :)

Thank you so much for your reply...
I just posted another thread as I am also now concerned if I have I lost enough on the per-op diet? as someone stated that others have gone for surgery and woke up not banded as the liver was still too large :(
so far I think I have lost 1 stone and 3 pounds is it enough
I am now 22stone 8pounds...and 5' 10"

Hello Val,

I will be very interested to read your diary, it's horrible the way weight just creeps on.

However, you've made this big decision to change your life, and hopefully this time next year we will both be chatting about the amazing weightloss we've had.

It's a big journey into the unknown, and I'm just starting too.

Well done with the pre-op, and good luck on Thursday, I hope it all goes really well.

By the way, as I understand it the milk diet is to shrink the liver, not you. As long as you have stuck rigidly to it, that's the main thing.

My first consultation with THG I weighed 24.7. I'm very early in the journey, but so far it's been brilliant:)

Good luck for Thursday, let us know how you get on!

I will thank you so much xxx:)

Thank you so much for your reply...
I just posted another thread as I am also now concerned if I have I lost enough on the per-op diet? as someone stated that others have gone for surgery and woke up not banded as the liver was still too large :(
so far I think I have lost 1 stone and 3 pounds is it enough
I am now 22stone 8pounds...and 5' 10"

Val, I responded on another thread that you wrote about this, but the pre-op diet isn't about losing lbs, it is preparing the body for surgery, more so the liver and it shrinking so that it can be moved to allow access to the stomach.

So, you've lost 1 stone and 3 pounds and that 1 stone and 3lbs is a bonus. Some people do not lose anything and I lost 1 stone 3 pounds on my pre-op. It can also depend on how much weight you have to lose anyway. I was 24 stone when I started and obviously had a lot to lose and that also plays a part.

You've followed your milk diet, there should be no reason why you wouldn't be just fine for surgery :)

Its natural to see these things and worry, especially when you're already worried about surgery!

Val, I responded on another thread that you wrote about this, but the pre-op diet isn't about losing lbs, it is preparing the body for surgery, more so the liver and it shrinking so that it can be moved to allow access to the stomach.

So, you've lost 1 stone and 3 pounds and that 1 stone and 3lbs is a bonus. Some people do not lose anything and I lost 1 stone 3 pounds on my pre-op. It can also depend on how much weight you have to lose anyway. I was 24 stone when I started and obviously had a lot to lose and that also plays a part.

You've followed your milk diet, there should be no reason why you wouldn't be just fine for surgery :)

Its natural to see these things and worry, especially when you're already worried about surgery!
Thank you Kat you have been really helpful and most importantly, you have also reassured me and that means a lot as you know we all worry about the actual surgery
Hugs Val xxxx:)

Hello Val,

I will be very interested to read your diary, it's horrible the way weight just creeps on.

However, you've made this big decision to change your life, and hopefully this time next year we will both be chatting about the amazing weightloss we've had.

It's a big journey into the unknown, and I'm just starting too.

Well done with the pre-op, and good luck on Thursday, I hope it all goes really well.

By the way, as I understand it the milk diet is to shrink the liver, not you. As long as you have stuck rigidly to it, that's the main thing.

Thank you so much for your support xxxx:)

Well its the evening before my surgery
I feel strangely relaxed, sort of going with the flow,
I'm not that nervous anymore, I feel I have to let fate take its course now

Tomorrow will be the start of my final slimming journey, no more yo-yo dieting, no more losing 4/5 stone only to gain it back again
Finally...........

I'm all packed ready to go, I have been really good on the pre'op diet and I have lost 13 pounds in one week on the milk diet, so I did my very best
(apart for the one tomato and one apple) :)

I hope I sleep well tonight and wake to face my new life

I'm so glad I found this site as many of you have given great support and advise

I hope you all continue to do well, and I hope this time next year I will be able to offer advise to others

Love Val
xxx

Good luck for tomorrow Val, I hope it goes brilliantly:)
13 lbs in one week??? Wow, well done you!:D

Thank you very much Sarah xxxxx:)

Good luck :D

Good luck for tomorrow!

I had my band fitted by Mr Richardson about a month ago at Dolan Park, I was very nervous but they were all lovely and supportive and made my time there really comfortable.

I can recommend the cup a soup they offer about 4-5 hrs post surgery, I was so thirsty/hungry by then it was like nectar from the gods! lol

Hope you sleep ok tonight & see you on the losers bench :)

Good luck tomorrow you will do great. I was scared about my liver as took a cancellation and could only do 9 days he said my liver was still fatty and big but not enough to stop him doing it.

They will see your nervous and make it easy for you they did with me. Couldn't have been nicer especially in when they got me onto the bed it seemed liked seconds and then I woke up in recovery they were wonderful.

Wishing you the very best of luck and a speedy recovery. There's plenty of room on the losers bench for you :)
Awwwwww how kind Thank you xx

Good luck for tomorrow!

I had my band fitted by Mr Richardson about a month ago at Dolan Park, I was very nervous but they were all lovely and supportive and made my time there really comfortable.

I can recommend the cup a soup they offer about 4-5 hrs post surgery, I was so thirsty/hungry by then it was like nectar from the gods! lol

Hope you sleep ok tonight & see you on the losers bench :)

So nice to talk to someone who had surgery with Mr Richardson..you seem to be doing well:)

Well this is it I'm off to bed..I have to be up at 5am to shower and travel to hospital

All being well I will update this journal soon
Thank you all for you kind wishes :)
Love Val xxx

Back