• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey

Hi @Suffolk Joy,
Just to say swimming is good as it is weight bearing and so less strain and uses muscles that the gym normally doesn't. Well that is my view.
Train booked to do Edinburgh in July to see friends for a few days and then north to Inverness by train to see stepmum after 6 years will feel really strange. Have to control the amount and type of food and she gives me LOL.

Hope you sort out the gym , soon.
Ian

Hi @Suffolk Joy,
Just to say swimming is good as it is weight bearing and so less strain and uses muscles that the gym normally doesn't. Well that is my view.
Train booked to do Edinburgh in July to see friends for a few days and then north to Inverness by train to see stepmum after 6 years will feel really strange. Have to control the amount and type of food and she gives me LOL.

Hope you sort out the gym , soon.
Ian

Hi Ian
So glad you are booked for your northwards travels. Mums (my step-mum as well!) always want to prepare all your favorites and feed you up. Just eat a little (unless its your real favourite!!). I have found its alcohol that is very naughty. A small G&T is under 90 calories but its lethal. I have had no alcohol since being back from holiday and I am losing weight again so that for me has to be 'on special occasions only' option. Which includes tomorrows as we are out with hubby and kids for a meal so I will allow myself one G&T. I can't see me eating any food at the Chinese restaurant - chilli beef, shredded duck pancakes, egg fried rice, sweet n' sour - all highly calorific and all indigestible for me! I may have to look at the vegetarian options!

SJ xx

That's interesting Ian, thank you, when you last saw your dietician did he/she give you any idea how long it would be till you MDT, as mine said approx 3months ?

Hi @Bling Babe ,
No she didn't mention any timescale regarding MDT appointment, other than group ones were quickier than single appointments. At that time I still had to see Dr Halsam.
Had my appointment with Dr Halsam, a week or so later to discuss my health and whether I was medically fit for surgery (no problems there). He discussed what operation I was thinking about and I said bypass and he said it was the best for me, which was nice since it was the first time real surgery was discussed.
Both said it would be between 6-8 months for surgery.
Have to say I was a bit surprised by how soon the appointment is,not that I am complaining. I was expecting around 3 months, as that seems to be the norm for first appointment with any non urgent NHS based on my previous dealings.

Thank you Ian
I was fortunate as they allowed me to see the medical Doctor just before my year was up. My dietician did say MDT would be approx 3 months and that it would be a group one so I guess I've just got to wait now. She also told me 6 to 8 months for surgery.
Were you weighed at the MDT, I know one other member who wasn't so hoping that's the norm

Hi,
Just an update had my Tier 4 MDT group appointment yesterday a total of 3 hours. So was weighed by the nurse and it was recorded, she was going to compare them with the the last ones and if necessary an appointment made to get you back on track. Well, that is probably going to be me then, as I had put on 5kg, however it did give me a wake up call. So back to been more controlled on portion sizes.
On of the questions asked was about next steps and timescales. Appointment to see Surgeon & Anaesthetist , both on same day, will be send shortly and expected appoints for Sept/Oct. After that it is a maximum of 18 weeks before surgery as they are financially penalised if they miss the target.
Lots of reinforcing the message that it is a tool to weight loss and not the fix. Was very down to earth about the surgery and life there after.

Hi,
Just an update had my Tier 4 MDT group appointment yesterday a total of 3 hours. So was weighed by the nurse and it was recorded, she was going to compare them with the the last ones and if necessary an appointment made to get you back on track. Well, that is probably going to be me then, as I had put on 5kg, however it did give me a wake up call. So back to been more controlled on portion sizes.
On of the questions asked was about next steps and timescales. Appointment to see Surgeon & Anaesthetist , both on same day, will be send shortly and expected appoints for Sept/Oct. After that it is a maximum of 18 weeks before surgery as they are financially penalised if they miss the target.
Lots of reinforcing the message that it is a tool to weight loss and not the fix. Was very down to earth about the surgery and life there after.
I really found the MDT very informative, but they did not weigh me then. Good luck Ian xx

Thanks Ian very helpful good luck with the rest of the journey look forward to updates

Hi,

Hi Ian
All positive news then? There is a lot of talk about it being a tool and it does need careful management. Surgeon warned me about following the post-op diet properly to ensure that I didn't abuse the tool. I am now working hard to ensure high protein/low calorie diet and using milk as a meal replacement once a day. It's a huge learning curve about what works for you. I can't tolerate pasta, bread, scrambled egg, pork and lamb. My 'go to' staples are corned beef, tuna, weetabix and milk.
When I saw surgeon pre-op he gave me a weight loss target to hit by surgery day. I don't know what he would have done if I hadn't achieved it but thankfully I did.
Enjoy your trip north and just be aware of portion size.
SJ xx

So, weight loss has plateaued struggling to get below 158Kg, can't wait to go on holiday at least I will not have a fridge or cupboard to raid and back on 3 meals a day plan. At least I havn't put any on according to my scales. In the good old days this where I would get disheartened and blow the diet. The trials and tribulations of losing weight, sigh.

Have a date for echocardiogram at L&D, 17 August, so that will be another piece of information for the anaesthetist, still awaiting appointments to see them and surgeon, hopefully they will come soon.

So, weight loss has plateaued struggling to get below 158Kg, can't wait to go on holiday at least I will not have a fridge or cupboard to raid and back on 3 meals a day plan. At least I havn't put any on according to my scales. In the good old days this where I would get disheartened and blow the diet. The trials and tribulations of losing weight, sigh.

Have a date for echocardiogram at L&D, 17 August, so that will be another piece of information for the anaesthetist, still awaiting appointments to see them and surgeon, hopefully they will come soon.
Keep going Ian and have a great holiday love from La Palma xx

Hi Ian, how are you getting on? Any news on your date for appointment with the surgeon and anaesthetist yet ?

Hi @Bling Babe , just back from holidays and catching up.
Thought I would have at least had appointment with the dietician , having been naughty and putting on the weight before my MDT appointment. But no , all quiet. Have my echo cardiogram Thursday next week, so might just pop in to the obesity clinic and see if I can at least get weighed and maybe see if I can find out what is happening.

See your MDT went well , and now like me just waiting for the next appointment.

Hi that sounds like a good idea, I had my echo the same day as my MDT, have you had your appointment with the surgeon yet? Hope you had a great holiday too

Hi folks,
Sorry not been on much lately. So, having had no communications since my MDT in June , I phoned L&D on Monday, and I have my date to see the Surgeon & Anaesthetist on 3rd November. Was advised that if you do recieve an appointment letter with in 2 weeks, to phone up and ask.
Having put weight on before my MDT , and the nurse writing to my GP , saying that there would be an interim appointment, this has not occured.
So, putting on weight between appoinments has resulted in my appointment with the surgeon been delayed by approx 1 month, wonder if they would have ever got round to sorting the appointment out had I not phoned.
So, happy that I have appointment with the surgeon & anaesthetist, working on the times , probably means surgery in Feb 2018.
Ian

Hi folks,
Sorry not been on much lately. So, having had no communications since my MDT in June , I phoned L&D on Monday, and I have my date to see the Surgeon & Anaesthetist on 3rd November. Was advised that if you do recieve an appointment letter with in 2 weeks, to phone up and ask.
Having put weight on before my MDT , and the nurse writing to my GP , saying that there would be an interim appointment, this has not occured.
So, putting on weight between appoinments has resulted in my appointment with the surgeon been delayed by approx 1 month, wonder if they would have ever got round to sorting the appointment out had I not phoned.
So, happy that I have appointment with the surgeon & anaesthetist, working on the times , probably means surgery in Feb 2018.
Ian
I have struggled and put on weight too. I was so worried that they would turn me down for the surgery but thankfully this was not the case. I am hopefully back in the zone now and am right on the milk diet. Good luck to you

@Ian2Big , At least you know roughly when the surgery will be now.

Really wish you the best on your journey to be a healthy new you.

Good Luck

Toni :rainbow:

Back