• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey

Wow that's an amazing loss Ian! congratulations. Did you get any kind of booklet or anything to tell you what you can have for each stage? The one i have says to never have more than 6 tablespoons even if you don't feel full. I'm still on liquids though

Hi @_Victoria_ ,
Yes the L&D gave me dietary advice leaflet to cover the first 10 weeks. Currently on Phase 3
Phase 1 (1/2hrs after op) Water only
Phase 2 (day 1 till 2 weeks) Liquids only ( Milk, condense soup made up milk, Slimfast, Complan, High Protein fluids, blended soup, NAS squash etc)
Phase 3 (Week 3 to week 8/10) Soft Diet
Eggs soft cooked mashed
Porridge, Weetabix, Read Brek
Mashed Potato / vegetables
Stewed/tinned fruit
Mashed banana
Smooth yogurt
Risotto
Cream Cheese (Low Fat)
Cottage Cheese
Flaky fish in sauce
Casseroled Meat
Soya/Quorn Mince
Tinned Fish
Tinned Meat Sauces

Typical Intake (from leaflet)
Early am - Hot drink
Breakfast - 1 weetabix lots of milk
Mid Morning - glass of milk
Lunch - Scrambled egg and chopped spaghetti in tomato sauce, Stewed or tinned Fruit
Mid Afternoon - smooth yogurt
Evening Meal - Minced chicken, mashed potato and mashed vegetables
Late snack - milky drink or pot of custard

As taken from L&D Dietary Advice following gastric bypass​

Each hospital obviously has its own dietary scheme.

It must be so odd having smaller meals, I’m trying so hard to prepare myself but I’m sure it’s going to be really difficult for me too, your doing well Ian keep it up, how much protein are you managing each day ?

That's so strange, mine is totally different. I still think its crazy how much things differ between hospitals. I have to do 2 weeks on liquids, 1 week on pureed foods, 1 week on soft foods and then after that can go to normal/solid foods.

The issue I have is re-educating myself to have smaller portion. I am still not recognising when my stomach is full and I should stop eating. The consequences of overeating are not nice.

I am living on small ready meals, as not yet in the mood to do any real cooking.

So this my approx intake
Breakfast - Yogurt (small pot) or shake (fruit /milk). Have not tried cereal yet.
Mid Morning - mini babybel cheese or soft cheese (about 2 teaspoons full)
Lunch - Tin of Soup
Mid afternoon - soft fruit with yogurt or made in to shake with milk
Supper - Small ready meal ( fish pie, cottage pie, spag bolognese) anything without rice/potato wedges/noodles or large lumps
Snack - cheese or shake
Wow! Sounds like you’re doing much better with food than I am. I seem to get this growl in my stomach that tells me to stop. However, I don’t seem to be keeping anything other than soup, yoghurt or porridge down. I’m 7.5 weeks out and coming to the end of the soft food stage. You have got there quickly. Well done.

Last edited:
Well it is 3 weeks post op, my scales says 10kg loss total. So very happy.
A few issues over the week, eating too fast and my brain saying I have not eaten enough but my stomach say enough. It is part of the learning curve.
Managing between 70-100g protein per day.
Wow! You’re doing so well. Is your weight loss since your op or LRD? You’re getting some good amounts of protein in. I know what you mean about the brain/stomach thing especially when you’re enjoying what you’re eating. I can only eat very small amounts of soft food and then that doesn’t always stay down. What portion sizes are you eating?

Weight loss since surgery. My meals are about the size of a small tin of beans, about a 1/5 of the size I use to eat. A lot depends on the texture, if it is really soft then i can eat more.

Hi @_Victoria_ ,
Yes the L&D gave me dietary advice leaflet to cover the first 10 weeks. Currently on Phase 3
Phase 1 (1/2hrs after op) Water only
Phase 2 (day 1 till 2 weeks) Liquids only ( Milk, condense soup made up milk, Slimfast, Complan, High Protein fluids, blended soup, NAS squash etc)
Phase 3 (Week 3 to week 8/10) Soft Diet
Eggs soft cooked mashed
Porridge, Weetabix, Read Brek
Mashed Potato / vegetables
Stewed/tinned fruit
Mashed banana
Smooth yogurt
Risotto
Cream Cheese (Low Fat)
Cottage Cheese
Flaky fish in sauce
Casseroled Meat
Soya/Quorn Mince
Tinned Fish
Tinned Meat Sauces

Typical Intake (from leaflet)
Early am - Hot drink
Breakfast - 1 weetabix lots of milk
Mid Morning - glass of milk
Lunch - Scrambled egg and chopped spaghetti in tomato sauce, Stewed or tinned Fruit
Mid Afternoon - smooth yogurt
Evening Meal - Minced chicken, mashed potato and mashed vegetables
Late snack - milky drink or pot of custard

As taken from L&D Dietary Advice following gastric bypass​

Each hospital obviously has its own dietary scheme.

thanks for the diet sheet ian,got my mini gastric bypass on 20th feb at sunderland royal

thanks for the diet sheet ian,got my mini gastric bypass on 20th feb at sunderland royal
Good luck with your surgery. They should give you a dietary advice for post surgery, it will be probably completely different from the one I have.

Weight loss since surgery. My meals are about the size of a small tin of beans, about a 1/5 of the size I use to eat. A lot depends on the texture, if it is really soft then i can eat more.
Wow! 10kg since surgery is fab! Portion sizes sound similar to mine. You’re doing so well 3 weeks out.

Well it is 3 weeks post op, my scales says 10kg loss total. So very happy.
A few issues over the week, eating too fast and my brain saying I have not eaten enough but my stomach say enough. It is part of the learning curve.
Managing between 70-100g protein per day.
Well done ian glad you are on the mend and doing really well

So tomorrow will be 5 weeks post surgery. By my scales I have lost just over 11 kg. Back at L&D on 6th March, so will update my weight loss graph then.
Still learning portion size and the fact that i cannot finish everything on my plate. In the old days I would have pushed on and cleared my plate, now I just throw the bit left in the bin. Had 3 chocolates on Friday, first since surgery. They tasted good but they were enough for me. In the old days I would have eaten the box and looked for more.

Had a clean out of my clothes, 4 bags went to charity shop, it felt great.

So tomorrow will be 5 weeks post surgery. By my scales I have lost just over 11 kg. Back at L&D on 6th March, so will update my weight loss graph then.
Still learning portion size and the fact that i cannot finish everything on my plate. In the old days I would have pushed on and cleared my plate, now I just throw the bit left in the bin. Had 3 chocolates on Friday, first since surgery. They tasted good but they were enough for me. In the old days I would have eaten the box and looked for more.

You’re doing great, Ian! I’m going to do a clothes clear out at Easter. Isn’t it amazing to have a bit of chocolate and be satisfied! A first for me too. Good luck for your appointment on the 6th.

They will be really pleased with you at your check up Ian. You should be very proud of yourself x

Well done Ian, it’s such a learning experience for sure, I’m super excited for my surgery

Hi Folks,
So just back from L&D. So six weeks since surgery and the weight loss confirmed at 13.7 Kg. Very happy chap.
Have been advised that the current weight loss is a bit high and that it might slow down. Am I worried , NO. Any weight loss is good.
Blood pressure is a bit low, so now see if I can get my GP to reduce my meds.

Hi Folks,
So just back from L&D. So six weeks since surgery and the weight loss confirmed at 13.7 Kg. Very happy chap.
Have been advised that the current weight loss is a bit high and that it might slow down. Am I worried , NO. Any weight loss is good.
Blood pressure is a bit low, so now see if I can get my GP to reduce my meds.

Great result Ian! Keep it up!

Back