• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello everyone - my first post!

KayloDee

Hello! :wavey:

This is my very first post here and just wanted to say hi to everyone!
I only found this site yesterday and have already found it so useful. I did join another wls forum too but it's very slow moving and this is a little faster - only reason for mentioning is I've literally copied and pasted this post across so if it looks familiar to anyone...that's why. :)

This is my journey so far:

I'm kind of at the beginning of my journey and sort of a bit way through as I only saw my GP yesterday about applying for funding. He weighed me and was happy to refer me but said there are a few hoops to jump through first but some of them have already been completed in the last few years. My BMI is 46. I saw the nurse about a referral for surgery about 4 years ago but fear got the better of me and I stopped it. I can't be scared anymore, it's time to change my life.

I am in Barnsley/Pontefract area in Yorkshire. I have no idea where the surgery will be performed (assuming I get funding that is). I have heard of people having to go to Bradford, Sheffield and even Hull. Long way to go before I have to think about that though.

My doctor said I have to complete a Shape Your Weight programme as a triage to the process, I did complete this 4 years ago but it's out of date now so I have to do half of it again. Ah well. I was prescribed Orlistat a few years ago too which would have been another hurdle to jump this time around. I found these effective but ultimately made me terrified to eat and I ended up abusing them... To my shame, I knew I could eat something that wasn't a good option, take a few tablets and it would make a swift exit. Sort of defeated the object and I soon stopped that altogether.

So here I am. There is no fear this time, well maybe a little. I'm only scared of not waking up from a general anaesthetic. I'm terrified of that actually, but I've not been under a general since I was 4yrs old. I'm 31 now. It's a silly fear and I know there's nothing to worry about but my mind plays mean games with me.
My eyes are open, this will not be an easy journey. I have a family history of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes, particularly on the maternal side. I honestly think this will not only change my life, but save it. My dad had his first heart attack in his late thirties.

My mum and sister have both had bariatric surgery. My mum lapsed into poor habits and regained all of her weight but my sister is so much healthier and happier!

The things I'm looking forward to, when I'm a smaller me, are no more sore knees and swollen ankles. No more/reduced shoulder/back/rib pain when sitting down, running, swimming, having the tray come down on an aircraft, fitting on the rides with ease at Disneyland Paris.

Anyway, that's my story so far; I'm looking forward to sharing much more with you.

Last edited:
Welcome x

Hello and welcome what an amazing first time post! I look forward to reading your next blog!

Hello and welcome!
Lovely friendly site and always someone who can help on here !
Xxxx

Hi there - welcome.

I've gained lots of knowledge and useful advice since joining and the fellow weight loss surgery members are really friendly, so I'm sure you, like me will find this site a font of information from people going through what is essentially the same process.

I this site as you get to see other peoples journey through this. You glean their 'been there done it' expertise and I also find it interesting that other members have to jump through different hoops, to get to the same ultimate results, but that is the way of the NHS today. Good luck to you.
Jane x

Hi and welcome. Thanks for sharing your story and looking forward to more. I'm with you on going under, this is such a serious operation and I know it's probably safer than ever but I think it's normal to have a bit of nerves:eek:

Thank you so much everyone for such a warm welcome!

I hadn't thought of doing a blog, maybe I will. I don't have an awful lot to write at the moment really but we'll see how things go.

I want to take some before pictures to mark the beginning of my journey, then maybe a set of pictures each time a new hurdle or milestone is reached.

This site has already been super helpful - I sat and read a whole thread of pros/cons to the VSG procedure from people who really have been there and done that. The sleeve is my preferred procedure. How much choice do you get in the matter? My GP didn't discuss this at all with me. He actually never questioned my decision or anything. He did say that he'd never personally referred anyone for bariatric surgery before - not sure if this a good or bad thing. He seems to be on it though as he's called me personally a couple of times with updates - usually I would get the receptionist or his secretary!

It's so lovely to 'meet' you all xxx

Thank you so much everyone for such a warm welcome!

I hadn't thought of doing a blog, maybe I will. I don't have an awful lot to write at the moment really but we'll see how things go.

I want to take some before pictures to mark the beginning of my journey, then maybe a set of pictures each time a new hurdle or milestone is reached.

This site has already been super helpful - I sat and read a whole thread of pros/cons to the VSG procedure from people who really have been there and done that. The sleeve is my preferred procedure. How much choice do you get in the matter? My GP didn't discuss this at all with me. He actually never questioned my decision or anything. He did say that he'd never personally referred anyone for bariatric surgery before - not sure if this a good or bad thing. He seems to be on it though as he's called me personally a couple of times with updates - usually I would get the receptionist or his secretary!

It's so lovely to 'meet' you all xxx
Hi Kaylo Dee

Welcome.

I too am waiting to have an WLS on the NHS and have seen the consultant at Leeds. I was allowed to ask for what surgery I preferred, although as I have a hernia, I wasn't eligible for a bypass. I have chosen the sleeve rather than the band as I didn't want something that was reversible.

My original referring GP knows very little, but I have found a GP in my practice who has had two bands and a bypass patient, so knows something. I am on the waiting list and hope to be done mid-summer. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you so much for your reply, that's really helpful. I wonder if I too will be seen at Leeds? I sort of hope I am as it's a Spire hospital isn't it?

My sister had her surgery in Hull at a Spire hospital - I think it was called Castle Hill or something similar. Very nice hospital, private looking iykwim.

How do you know if you have a hernia? Are there symptoms to look for? I honestly have no idea!

Hope your time on the waiting list is short xx

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum.

I joined a couple of years ago when I was researching having wls and wanted to read about other peoples experience before I did it. My hubby wasnt so keen at the time and ask me to try and diet again which I did and ended up very ill with gallstones.

I can honestly say I love my sleeve and have no regrets. Like you I was scared about the being put to sleep, i felt guilty as its elective surgery and I hadnt told my kids as I didn't want them to worry. I almost wrote them a letter each just incase and then decided against it and turned my worries into postive thoughts.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey. ps I was born at Jimmys so I'm Yorkshire and proud lol x

Haha MrsNoodles, Yorkshire and very proud indeed!! :)

Interesting what you said about the letter, I was thinking the same. What I did instead was write myself a letter about why I'm doing this and why it's worth it even though it may seem hard sometimes. That's tucked away ready for when I need a reminder.

I'm very excited to properly begin the process. I have to call doctors to book a blood test this week so I'll do that tomorrow.

This whole event is taking over my every thought! It is literally all I think about, if I'm not talking my husbands ear off about it then I'm on Pinterest looking at pre-op and post-op recipes, exercises. I even have a wish list of things to do and wear when I'm more confident!

xxx

Haha MrsNoodles, Yorkshire and very proud indeed!! :)

Interesting what you said about the letter, I was thinking the same. What I did instead was write myself a letter about why I'm doing this and why it's worth it even though it may seem hard sometimes. That's tucked away ready for when I need a reminder.

I'm very excited to properly begin the process. I have to call doctors to book a blood test this week so I'll do that tomorrow.

This whole event is taking over my every thought! It is literally all I think about, if I'm not talking my husbands ear off about it then I'm on Pinterest looking at pre-op and post-op recipes, exercises. I even have a wish list of things to do and wear when I'm more confident!

xxx

I too have a list on my phone of things I want to buy myself (clothes etc)and things to do when i'm slimmer. I was the same, it consumed my every waking thought waiting for wls. You're going to do great as your in the right mindset xx:)

Thank you so much for your reply, that's really helpful. I wonder if I too will be seen at Leeds? I sort of hope I am as it's a Spire hospital isn't it?

My sister had her surgery in Hull at a Spire hospital - I think it was called Castle Hill or something similar. Very nice hospital, private looking iykwim.

How do you know if you have a hernia? Are there symptoms to look for? I honestly have no idea!

Hope your time on the waiting list is short xx

Hi, welcome to the site and to the start of your journey! I am based in Hull and have been referred on the NHS, I had my first appointments last week with the consultant, psychologist and dietician.

With regards to your above post, the NHS hospital is Castle Hill hospital, the Spires is the private hospital "Spires Hull and East Riding" hospital.

My understanding is that the NHS patients used to have their WLS at the Spires private hospital, but this is not the case any more, it is done at Castle Hill.

Hey! I also joined some other sites but in all honestly they're pants compared to this beaut!

I'm from Leeds so another Yorkshire lass :)

I didn't go through the NHS so don't really know the procedure but wish you well on your journey and looking forward to updates on how you're getting on xox

Aah thank you for that Hannah2! My sister had her wls 7 years ago so maybe it was Spires back then, I'm not sure. It was very nice there though :)

MrsNoodles - I'm so ready for this fight! I've got myself a journal with a front cover saying "Say hello to a brand new day". I crossed the day out and wrote "me!" I try and write in it often as I think it would be nice to look back on. After all is said and done.
I also took some 'before' pictures. :cry::sigh: Makes me sad and determined. If I can figure how to post them I will do.

Any ideas how I create a blog? That might actually be more appropriate?

Back