• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello everyone - my first post!

Thanks @FeeHutch, that's exactly what my husband said. Fingers crossed, I plan to make the most of this opportunity so hopefully I can catch up next week, I'll certainly ask if there's anything important I missed. I would have thought it would be more of an introduction and explanation of how the course will go really.

With regards to the grandparents (my husbands parents). My father in law was working so mother in law was supposed to meet us at her house. She works at a residential home and there was a death yesterday. :( Extremely sad and as she was the senior on duty it was down to her to organise undertakers etc, as well as speak with the poor family. I know it's all part of life and care homes are often viewed as 'gods waiting rooms' but it really is so upsetting. Anyway, as my phone is basically nothing more than an iPod currently, she couldn't get hold of me to let me know! I used to work at the same care home but I get too attached to people and I just couldn't stay there. I could sit and talk to the residents all day and get no work done! They sure have some stories to tell. :)

Feeling a lot more positive today, I've eaten well, I've taken the dog for a small walk and to the doggy hairdressers, she can see again now after having her fringe trimmed. :)

Take care everyone, have happy days xxx

Last edited:
I worked in a home for 8 years and there were residents I still visited for a long time until they died. It's a hugely challenging but very difficult job so I know what you mean x

Good morning world,

last night was my second gym session as part of the 'shape your weight' programme. I have to say that I am really enjoying it. I've signed up the gym pass too so I can use the gym and pool more frequently and I plan to go tomorrow as I'm not working until 5:30pm.

Last week was dietitian week and we covered portion control. Interesting but I find the 'classroom' side course a bit patronising really. We all know we should eat smaller portions, whether you're a size 8 already or a well padded cuddly size like me, we all have the ability to overeat. Do they teach portion control in schools? Maybe they should if not, it would go some way to maybe reducing obesity if the seriousness of the issue is pressed in high school which is where children start to have more control over what they're eating. Maybe it would encourage them in the right direction.
The dietitian is lovely but sometimes it feels like she talks down to us as a group, she has a perfect figure and I don't think she realises that once many of us in that room did too.

I'll take my frustration out at the gym tomorrow. I have a target and it's a long way away, but I'll get there. The instructors in the gym are fantastic!! They are so so supportive, giving us all tips and encouraging us, I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow. I never thought I'd look forward to going to the gym but hey.

Overtime in at work today so I'll be starting at 1:30 instead of 5:30. Lots to do before then so I'd better get cracking.

Love to you all xxxx

Hello! :wavey:

This is my very first post here and just wanted to say hi to everyone!
I only found this site yesterday and have already found it so useful. I did join another wls forum too but it's very slow moving and this is a little faster - only reason for mentioning is I've literally copied and pasted this post across so if it looks familiar to anyone...that's why. :)

This is my journey so far:

I'm kind of at the beginning of my journey and sort of a bit way through as I only saw my GP yesterday about applying for funding. He weighed me and was happy to refer me but said there are a few hoops to jump through first but some of them have already been completed in the last few years. My BMI is 46. I saw the nurse about a referral for surgery about 4 years ago but fear got the better of me and I stopped it. I can't be scared anymore, it's time to change my life.

I am in Barnsley/Pontefract area in Yorkshire. I have no idea where the surgery will be performed (assuming I get funding that is). I have heard of people having to go to Bradford, Sheffield and even Hull. Long way to go before I have to think about that though.

My doctor said I have to complete a Shape Your Weight programme as a triage to the process, I did complete this 4 years ago but it's out of date now so I have to do half of it again. Ah well. I was prescribed Orlistat a few years ago too which would have been another hurdle to jump this time around. I found these effective but ultimately made me terrified to eat and I ended up abusing them... To my shame, I knew I could eat something that wasn't a good option, take a few tablets and it would make a swift exit. Sort of defeated the object and I soon stopped that altogether.

So here I am. There is no fear this time, well maybe a little. I'm only scared of not waking up from a general anaesthetic. I'm terrified of that actually, but I've not been under a general since I was 4yrs old. I'm 31 now. It's a silly fear and I know there's nothing to worry about but my mind plays mean games with me.
My eyes are open, this will not be an easy journey. I have a family history of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes, particularly on the maternal side. I honestly think this will not only change my life, but save it. My dad had his first heart attack in his late thirties.

My mum and sister have both had bariatric surgery. My mum lapsed into poor habits and regained all of her weight but my sister is so much healthier and happier!

The things I'm looking forward to, when I'm a smaller me, are no more sore knees and swollen ankles. No more/reduced shoulder/back/rib pain when sitting down, running, swimming, having the tray come down on an aircraft, fitting on the rides with ease at Disneyland Paris.

Anyway, that's my story so far; I'm looking forward to sharing much more with you.
Hello and welcome,
Half your story reminds me, of me! I backed out twice! Done the orlistat ...(did lose 2st on them) ...but longterm..no good. Think i have one last chance of this surgery before they'l give up on me. (And, who could blame them). It was nearly 2 years since i very first got referred. Im at the endoscopy stage again next week :eek:. Eeeek.
We have to be brave this time!
All the very best, with your journey
Toni :rainbow:

Hiya :)
I know what you mean about some professionals forgetting we didn't all start off over weight and I think teaching portion size in schools is an excellent idea.
Whenever I've seen overweight kids on tv programmes it's the first thing they look at and normally they find the kids are being fed adult portions. Mine still eat from smaller plates although not as small as mine now ;)
Really glad it sounds like the gym is going well too x

You know what guys. I don't think I can do this anymore.

I didn't lose enough weight on Tier 3, I have been given a 3months extension to lose approx 2st.

Any tips?

I was told to buy to fitbit type watch that counts my steps as I'd been using the one on my iPhone. The dietician said this was not accurate enough, which I had suspected but didn't want to spend silly money on a fitbit. Anyway, Groupon had something similar for £13! Snapped it up. It monitors your sleep too as well as your steps and can be synced with an app on the phone so you can save the data. I wouldn't be without it now - I even retired my treasured Mickey Mouse watch for it :)

It's food I'm struggling with. Meals. I take homemade soup to work everyday (I'll post recipe below). I take a granola bar, this makes up 2 snacks through the day. I take 2 satsumas and try to drink plenty of water - I struggle with this most days as it's cold in my office and coffee is free and hot!

For family meals I tend to cook in two halves. I do the kids their tea and then eat with their dad later. We eat ok, I think. I make everything fresh whether it's curry or spag bol. I use low fat cuts of meat/mince. I eat fat free/low sugar yoghurts sometimes. Occasionally (that time of the month) I'll have a chocolate treat but this has massively reduced - once it was a big bar of galaxy, now it tends to be a freddo or a snickers mini.

I am losing weight extemely slowly. I'm balancing my carbs/fats/sauces/veg like I should be but the scales aren't moving and I need them to or the consultant is going to think I'm wasting his and my time. Exercise wise, I go to the gym once a week at the moment as it's all I can manage with work and kids but I walk loads. I average around 16k steps a day - often over 20k. I don't stop, I walk the dog - I even found/bought a pair of wellies! (see 1st post for the significance of this :D) They're only ankle wellies though, so I'm not ticking that off as an achievement.

My clothes are much looser. I could probably buy the next size down if I were that way inclined but instead I bought some different belts.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Last edited:
Soup recipe:

1 can mixed bean salad (drained)
1 can green lentils (drained)
2 cans chopped toms
1 can baked beans
2 large leeks
4 large'ish carrots
1 large onion
1 (each) red, green & yellow pepper
2 chicken stock cubes
salt&pepper
water to cover

- chop all fresh veg and chuck into a large pan.

- add all canned items.

- mix stock cubes into approx 200ml boiling water. Pour into pan.

- if all veg not covered add more boiling water until everything just covered.

- bring to the boil and then let simmer for approx 1 hour until all veg is soft. Stir frequently so it doesn't stick to bottom of pan. <yucky>

I'm not sure what to suggest. Have you tried showing them your food diaries and step records? I'm frustrated on your behalf because if you could easily lose weight you probably wouldn't be jumping through all these hoops! Only other thing that popped in my mind is trying the LRD?

It's so hard losing isn't it, exactly why we're on this wls journey! Try upping your lean protein and lowering the carbs and if all else fails, I would also say try the lrd closer to the appointment ... Good luck.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Have you tried showing them your food diaries and step records? I'm frustrated on your behalf because if you could easily lose weight you probably wouldn't be jumping through all these hoops! Only other thing that popped in my mind is trying the LRD?
Soup recipe:

1 can mixed bean salad (drained)
1 can green lentils (drained)
2 cans chopped toms
1 can baked beans
2 large leeks
4 large'ish carrots
1 large onion
1 (each) red, green & yellow pepper
2 chicken stock cubes
salt&pepper
water to cover

- chop all fresh veg and chuck into a large pan.

- add all canned items.

- mix stock cubes into approx 200ml boiling water. Pour into pan.

- if all veg not covered add more boiling water until everything just covered.

- bring to the boil and then let simmer for approx 1 hour until all veg is soft. Stir frequently so it doesn't stick to bottom of pan. <yucky>

I didn't lose enough weight on Tier 3, I have been given a 3months extension to lose approx 2st.

Any tips?

I was told to buy to fitbit type watch that counts my steps as I'd been using the one on my iPhone. The dietician said this was not accurate enough, which I had suspected but didn't want to spend silly money on a fitbit. Anyway, Groupon had something similar for £13! Snapped it up. It monitors your sleep too as well as your steps and can be synced with an app on the phone so you can save the data. I wouldn't be without it now - I even retired my treasured Mickey Mouse watch for it :)

It's food I'm struggling with. Meals. I take homemade soup to work everyday (I'll post recipe below). I take a granola bar, this makes up 2 snacks through the day. I take 2 satsumas and try to drink plenty of water - I struggle with this most days as it's cold in my office and coffee is free and hot!

For family meals I tend to cook in two halves. I do the kids their tea and then eat with their dad later. We eat ok, I think. I make everything fresh whether it's curry or spag bol. I use low fat cuts of meat/mince. I eat fat free/low sugar yoghurts sometimes. Occasionally (that time of the month) I'll have a chocolate treat but this has massively reduced - once it was a big bar of galaxy, now it tends to be a freddo or a snickers mini.

I am losing weight extemely slowly. I'm balancing my carbs/fats/sauces/veg like I should be but the scales aren't moving and I need them to or the consultant is going to think I'm wasting his and my time. Exercise wise, I go to the gym once a week at the moment as it's all I can manage with work and kids but I walk loads. I average around 16k steps a day - often over 20k. I don't stop, I walk the dog - I even found/bought a pair of wellies! (see 1st post for the significance of this :D) They're only ankle wellies though, so I'm not ticking that off as an achievement.

My clothes are much looser. I could probably buy the next size down if I were that way inclined but instead I bought some different belts.

I was going to suggest LRD too as that is very likely to show a significant weight loss for the consultant and will be a huge motivation to you. Others on here have been advised to do it pre their pre-op so as to shift some weight and it also tests your brain's ability to stick to it.

As my dietician has gone on about portion sizes so much, could it be that your portion sizes could be smaller with what you are eating now?

So much of weight loss is connected to what is going on in our heads, some of it we don't necessarily realise. You say you are not inclined to buy any new clothes even though your current ones are loose. Could it be you can't trust yourself to think it is going to work?

I say this as I held onto lots of clothes I had grown out of last year and wouldn't get rid of them pre-op 'just in case'. Have had two clear outs now since op and even today I had to give myself a good talking to about some cropped summer trousers I loved that I have held on to for about 6 years, that would fit me in about a month when the weather would be too cold. Would they be too big next summer? Of course they will and they are now bagged for the charity shop.

You have to believe you can do it.

Why not buy one new item of clothes so you can see what a difference you have already made? I can vouch it is a different feeling to the one you get when you look at yourself in baggy stuff that you have adjusted.

Well done on all the walking. Hopefully you will crack it soon :) x

Good morning world,

last night was my second gym session as part of the 'shape your weight' programme. I have to say that I am really enjoying it. I've signed up the gym pass too so I can use the gym and pool more frequently and I plan to go tomorrow as I'm not working until 5:30pm.

Last week was dietitian week and we covered portion control. Interesting but I find the 'classroom' side course a bit patronising really. We all know we should eat smaller portions, whether you're a size 8 already or a well padded cuddly size like me, we all have the ability to overeat. Do they teach portion control in schools? Maybe they should if not, it would go some way to maybe reducing obesity if the seriousness of the issue is pressed in high school which is where children start to have more control over what they're eating. Maybe it would encourage them in the right direction.
The dietitian is lovely but sometimes it feels like she talks down to us as a group, she has a perfect figure and I don't think she realises that once many of us in that room did too.

I'll take my frustration out at the gym tomorrow. I have a target and it's a long way away, but I'll get there. The instructors in the gym are fantastic!! They are so so supportive, giving us all tips and encouraging us, I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow. I never thought I'd look forward to going to the gym but hey.

Overtime in at work today so I'll be starting at 1:30 instead of 5:30. Lots to do before then so I'd better get cracking.

Love to you all xxxx
I have found many dieticians like yours, and I have had to stop myself from rebelling against what they say as sometimes it feels patronising as it can really feel like they don't understand, when I think now it is more 'tough love'.

School meals have a lot to answer for! In my day you could have seconds and thirds, and at home I was given an adult plate and made to eat everything so there was no chance!!

Hi @KayloDee here are the top 10 tips my personal trainer gave me, it bloomin works too:

1 . Stay hydrated

People hear this so often that they become numb to it, the first and easiest aspect to change in your lifestyle to improve health, performance and aid weight loss is to stay well hydrated. Remember if you drink more water throughout the day, your body will hold on to less of it leaving you less bloated and looking leaner. Aim for minimum 2 litres.

2. Eat complete, lean protein each time you eat.

Are you eating something that was an animal or comes from an animal – every time you feed yourself? If not, make the change. Note: If you’re a vegetarian, this rule still applies – you need complete protein and need to find non-animal sources.

3. Eat vegetables every time you eat.

That’s right, in addition to a complete, lean protein source, you need to eat some vegetables every time you eat (every 3-4 hours, right?). You can chuck in a piece of fruit here and there as well. But don’t skip the veggies.

4. Eat carbs only when you deserve to.

Well, not ALL carbs – eat fruits and veggies pretty much whenever you want. And if you want to eat a carbohydrate that’s not a fruit or a vegetable (this includes things like simple sugars, rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), you can – but you’ll need to save it until after you’ve exercised. Your body best tolerates these carbohydrates after exercise. For the rest of the day, eat your lean protein and a delicious selection of fruits and veggies.

5. Learn to love healthy fats.

There are 3 types of fat – saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Forget about that old “eating fat makes you fat” maxim. Eating all three kinds of fat in a healthy balance (about equal parts of each) can dramatically improve your health, and even help you lose fat. Your saturated fat should come from your animal products and you can even toss in some butter or coconut oil for cooking. Your monounsaturated fat should come from mixed nuts, olives, and olive oil. And your polyunsaturated fat should from flaxseed oil, fish oil, and mixed nuts.

6. Ditch the calorie containing drinks (including fruit juice).

In fact, all of your drinks should come from non-calorie containing beverages. Fruit juice, alcoholic drinks, and fizzy – these are all to be removed from your daily fare. Your best choices are water and green tea.

7. Focus on whole foods.

Most of your dietary intake should come from whole foods. There are a few times where supplement drinks and shakes are useful. But most of the time, you’ll do best with whole, largely unprocessed foods.

8. Have 20% foods.

I know you cringed at a few of the rules above. But here’s the thing: 100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 80% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible. So you can allow yourself “20% foods” – foods that break rules, but which you’ll allow yourself to eat (or drink, if it’s a beverage) 20% of the time.

Just make sure you do the maths and determine what 20% of the time really means!!!

9. Develop food preparation strategies.

The hardest part about eating well is making sure you can follow the 8 rules above consistently. And this is where preparation comes in. You might know what to eat, but if isn’t available, you’ll blow it when it’s time for a meal.

10. Balance daily food choices with healthy variety.

Let’s face it, when you’re busy during the week, you’re not going to be spending a ton of time whipping up gourmet meals. During these times you’re going to need a set of tasty, easy to make foods that you can eat day in and day out. However, once every day or a few times a week, you need to eat something different, something unique and tasty to stave off boredom and stagnation.

You CAN do this! xx

Hey Kay
I dont have much to add apart from my usual no carb rule and please don't buy the fat free , low fat , sugar free , basically anything diet related , because those products are full of sugars etc to replace the fats .. And the fats and proteins in those products like yogurt and butter are good for us and more filling in the long run..
Lots of luck
Xxx

Grrrr at the dietitian. Does she work for Fitbit? I use my phone - it may not be 'accurate' but it gives me a guide I can compare to, so I can see what I walked the day before etc and compare it to that day. It's accurate enough for what you need, no need to buy something so expensive. I bought a fitbit and sent it back - I wanted to pair it with my phone and amazon, the phone shop nor fitbit could do it (Samsung Galaxy S4). I kept on with S Health, which came with phone. As I said, it gives me a comparison and the surgeon agreed with me!

Yep, I agree. It's so frustrating and so easy to give up. Keep going. Keep food diaries and the most important thing s to be honest. I find I can 'forget' to add things in that I shouldn't have eaten...

I was going to suggest LRD too as that is very likely to show a significant weight loss for the consultant and will be a huge motivation to you. Others on here have been advised to do it pre their pre-op so as to shift some weight and it also tests your brain's ability to stick to it.

As my dietician has gone on about portion sizes so much, could it be that your portion sizes could be smaller with what you are eating now?

So much of weight loss is connected to what is going on in our heads, some of it we don't necessarily realise. You say you are not inclined to buy any new clothes even though your current ones are loose. Could it be you can't trust yourself to think it is going to work?

I say this as I held onto lots of clothes I had grown out of last year and wouldn't get rid of them pre-op 'just in case'. Have had two clear outs now since op and even today I had to give myself a good talking to about some cropped summer trousers I loved that I have held on to for about 6 years, that would fit me in about a month when the weather would be too cold. Would they be too big next summer? Of course they will and they are now bagged for the charity shop.

You have to believe you can do it.

Why not buy one new item of clothes so you can see what a difference you have already made? I can vouch it is a different feeling to the one you get when you look at yourself in baggy stuff that you have adjusted.

Well done on all the walking. Hopefully you will crack it soon :) x

I've jst got rid of a load of clothes and got into a size 20 pair of trouser.s I dont want to take them off. But mum made me throw old clothes, I'd have kept them "just incase" - I'm good at self-sabotage and I'd have kept them for that reason.

I have found many dieticians like yours, and I have had to stop myself from rebelling against what they say as sometimes it feels patronising as it can really feel like they don't understand, when I think now it is more 'tough love'.

School meals have a lot to answer for! In my day you could have seconds and thirds, and at home I was given an adult plate and made to eat everything so there was no chance!!

I dislike my dietitian a lot, indeed I even made a complaint about her and the doctor at the beginning of my journey. Part of the complaint was she didn't know the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance (there was a lot more). Her reason - dietititians use the words interchangeably. My argument - this is fundamentally wrong! Long story !! Yes, some is tough love, and part of me, when she gets fundamental things wrong, I want to go "f you" when she says things - part of the challenge is reflectively thinking about what has been said, discarding the parts I know are wrong and thinking about the rest. Our relationship is a lot better as a result. I even take the patronising, because, after thinking about what she said about something, she was right, though there are ways of saying things. I can deal with tough love, I had a social worker for many years who was very blunt and that works with me. But dieitian winds me up, although she has been a lot better this year!

Here are the top 10 tips my personal trainer gave me, it bloomin works too:

1 . Stay hydrated
2. Eat complete, lean protein each time you eat.
3. Eat vegetables every time you eat.
4. Eat carbs only when you deserve to.
5. Learn to love healthy fats.
6. Ditch the calorie containing drinks (including fruit juice).
7. Focus on whole foods.
8. Have 20% foods.
9. Develop food preparation strategies.
10. Balance daily food choices with healthy variety.

You CAN do this! xx

This is sound advice. I'm going to print it out and stick it in the kitchen in a prominent place.

Hey Kay
I dont have much to add apart from my usual no carb rule and please don't buy the fat free , low fat , sugar free , basically anything diet related , because those products are full of sugars etc to replace the fats .. And the fats and proteins in those products like yogurt and butter are good for us and more filling in the long run..
Lots of luck
Xxx

I'm another one who doesn't eat low fat/low sugar foods. I buy proper butter (I don't even buy spreadable, butter is not meant to be spreadable from the fridge, so what do they put in it to make it so?!) I buy skyr yogurt as they are high in protein - I have to be careful with lactose, but the odd yogurt doesn't hurt me.

This is sound advice. I'm going to print it out and stick it in the kitchen in a prominent place..

It is indeed, it really does work too. I love my personal trainer and thank goodness the dietician at the hospital shares his point of view!

I'm nearly on 1l of fluid today! I know it's not enough, but this is what I am really struggling with at the moment. Achievement for me!

Thank you so much for all of your replies and advice. I will definitely be implementing many of these ideas. Really, thank you so much. Since I last posted I have lost 2lbs. At last! :)

I'm sorry it's taken a while for me to reply, my hours are silly at work and when I'm home I try to catch up on my sleep, I should probably be sleeping now.

My self esteem and confidence are absolute rock bottom at the moment, triggered by such a trivial thing. Work night out. The place my employers have hired is very fancy and I cannot find something that makes me feel anything other than fat, frumpy and undeserving of anything other than this. I know this isn't true but making myself believe that is hard. The outfits I have tried, I bet some of them looked ok, but in my eyes they look hideous. Am I even making sense? Sorry for rambling. My Mum and Sister think I'm perhaps depressed. Maybe, but I don't want to dwell on that.

I'm giving myself a kick now, I want to be happy, truly happy. I can smile for the world but I want to smile for real, fot a smile to reach my eyes so there's no sadness hiding.

I feel guilty everytime I eat something - healthy or not - immediately wondering how much impact that will have on the scales. Sometimes I avoid eating to avoid the guilt but that literally causes havoc as then all I want to do is binge eat toast and scrambled eggs.

I know I can do this, I don't to let myself down anymore.

Hi @KayloDee and no need to apologise for not replying sooner, life gets in the way of tinternet lol

I must admit I do agree with your mum and sister, it does sound like you are depressed. As a fellow sufferer I hear what you are saying totally!

I know you said you don't want to dwell on it but it sounds like its having more than a slight impact on your life, so maybe you need to contact your GP and reach out for some help with it. You know that feeling guilty every time you eat isn't right, don't you too?

Fair enough giving yourself a kick but please don't be too hard on yourself.

Sending you a gentle hug :hugs:

My LRD consisted of two pints of semi skimmed milk and four to six (depending on size) low fat yoghurts - not or the faint hearted :eek: xx

I agree, there's no need to apologise for late replies.

I also agree you may be depressed. It's a hard thing to face up to, but maybe ask if you can talk to someone? Part of my process involved having to talk to a psychologist, and that did help me.

As for the LRD. It differs depending on your provider. For mine daily I could have 2-3 pints of milk, 3-4 pieces of fruit, two diet yoghurts and a bowl of vegetable soup, preferably home made with no added pulses or potato.

Back