• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello everyone - my first post!

The rant sounds perfectly reasonable, I'm stressed and annoyed just reading it!
I hope the consultant can give you some answers x

Oh they are unbelievably annoying Fee :( I want to kick them. In the face. Twice. Grrr, I'm not an angry person normally.

Life is fairly mundane here, I have a tumble dryer being delivered today. Yay! I'm excited about this as we have a teeny tiny garden which is currently full of bricks and rocks - it's being sorted by the developers in 3 weeks. Topsoil and turf - Yess!! In time for summer - woohoo. But still there's no space for a washing line, perhaps a rotary airer but we shall see.
We are also having vertical blinds fitted this afternoon. I'm even more excited about this! We've been in this house since Christmas (moved in on 20th Dec like fools, talk about stress!) and we've had nothing at all up at any of the windows. It wasn't really a problem in December/January/February as the mornings and evenings were dark anyway. Now that it's light the kids don't sleep easy and neither do we. They wake up at the merest hint of sunrise so everyone is tired and grumpy these days. Not a happy place to be. ;)

So yeah, that's my day today. I am about to make some soup and that will do for my dinners at work too. I've bought myself a lovely blue microwave soup mug thing today too. I also bought - and have made/eaten - a mug cake. It was 39p for a Dr Oetker sachet thing and I had a weak moment. It only took 1 min and 10 secs in microwave! And it was delicious, and enough. If I had bought a whole cake it's likely I'd have nibbled it all day without even wanting to. I graze on the wrong things, for sure. I'm trying though to combat this. I have a shedload of fruit in, and it's given me toothache. I honestly can't win. I have a dentist appointment next week so I'll be fixed up then I'm sure, I think I maybe have a cavity. :(

Consultant appointment tomorrow. What should I expect I wonder? I guess I shall find out.

Bye for now beautifuls,
Kaye xxx

If you are short of space I recommend the wall mounted "rotary" drier from Brabantia- they are expensive but we have had ours for about 8 years and it moved with us when we moved house. It is strong sturdy and great that it is not a wobbly pole in the garden! Does depend if you have a brick wall to fix it to though.

We use our tumble dryer too much! I am trying to use the line more on the weekends if it is dry, I did this weekend and when I hung everything up to air the room smelt lovely - washing dried outside has a lovely smell (to me anyway!) :rolleyes:

Hope you get on ok with your consultant tomorrow! I have my first group dietician appointment, so also wondering what is in store!

Doing up houses is exciting and stressful in equal measure in my experience.
Good luck with the consultant. You desire to kick them made me laugh because we sound very similar. Just stick to the verbal slapping tho ;)

Good afternoon everyone! This could be a long post so apologies in advance.

My appointment with the consultant was brilliant! I honestly could not have wished it go any better.

Here are the ins and outs.
I got there 15 minutes before my appointment and was called straight in by the nurse to be weighed and she checked my height.
Sent back to waiting room where I sat down for 2 seconds (not exaggerating) and was called through to consultant! It was the same consultant I had seen back in 2012 and he remembered me, although it also meant he had my notes from back then too and it was hard to see how much worse I've gotten since then, my walking ability especially.

Anyway, we chatted about why my journey had led here again and I was very blunt in my answers, I figured there's just no point in sugar coating things. I told him:
I don't want to have a heart attack in my thirties.
I don't want my kids to grow up without a Mummy.
I don't want diabetes.
I don't want sore knees.
I do want to take my children swimming.
I do want to go for long country walks with my family and our dog.
I do want to walk more than 100m without feeling like there's an elephant sat on my chest and my heart thumping in my ears.
And I do want to go running and to the gym.
And find a sodding pair of wellies that fit my calves. Ok I didn't say that bit but it is relevant as the woods we go walking is always so muddy, no matter what season you go in. My converse used to be baby blue, now they're muddy brown. <sob> This list is by no means complete, there are many things I hate about being unhealthy and huge and many more things that I'm looking forward to doing/experiencing when I'm healthy and slim.

He listened to all this and said nothing apart from, yes. He asked about my husband, his illness (Crohns Disease) and whether he is overweight (he is). Apparently I've got to tell him off as we need to support eachother now. He said we've fallen into bad habits as many people do when they marry and get comfortable. I completely agreed, between getting settled down and experiencing 3 successful pregnancies I ballooned. :(

He said I was very lucky not to have had a heart attack already as my heart is under so much pressure. :( That wasn't nice to hear but totally necessary. I've been thinking the same thing anyway and I'm only 31. I literally struggle to walk from one side of the hospital carpark to the other and it isn't a massive carpark. When I walked into the reception I was sweaty and my heart was beating so fast you'd think I'd run a marathon (I wish). And my legs and thighs were just groaning at me. My knees can't cope and my thighs do not rub along nicely. They just rub and it hurts. I do think my husband struggles to understand this part, he knows I'm big but he doesn't realise how unfit I am along with it.

Right, back to my consultant. He had a feel of my tummy and sides (not sure why) and listened to my heart.

We talked about my mum for a little bit as she had a gastric bypass which she did super well with until she remarried and moved away. The change in lifestyle meant she is now as big (if not a little bigger :( ) than she was pre-op.

He really opened my eyes but he was so positive about everything. I truly believe I'm in good hands here. He says he will support me the whole way through surgery and beyond. He said the funding is £10,000.00 and he will support that no problem. He said we will all work as a team, me, my husband, him, the dietician, the physiotherapist... I just have to prove that I'm on board by losing 5% of my body weight through to process which is 15lbs. I'm sure I can do that, we can make these changes happen. Really feeling hopeful today that I'm regaining my life a little.

Nothing else has worked for me, I have proven time and time again that I can't do this on my own and now I really feel like I've got a team behind me that wants me to be healthy.

I cried a little in his office too, everything was so real and very eye-openingly scary. He was talking about the pain my children would carry through life if they lost their Mummy early. What scars I inflict on them by saying I'm always on a diet. What image I portray to them when I'm weighing myself every morning.
I cried because he's totally and completely right. I do weigh myself every morning. I do tell my children that I'm overweight and try to explain why we eat healthy to avoid them getting my problems. I thought I was helping them but in actual fact my 11 year old daughter told me a few days ago that she's on a diet because she's put on 5lbs in a month. :( :( :( I would never ever wish on her the body shame that I grew up with so we need to nip this in the bud now. How did I let myself give that picture to her? I hate what I've unintentionally done but it all stops.

The consultant said not to make any quick changes but rather gradual. That way the kids will just go with the flow and it will become their new normal. We are to only have 2 pieces of fruit per day to avoid sugar overload and also 5 portions of vegetables. We are good that we manage that most days but we have definitely been eating too much fruit! I can happily sit there with a tub of grapes and nibble the lot through a shift at work. And cherry tomatoes for that matter. I never thought this would be bad thing but these should be easy changes to make. They are still definitely better options than a tub of haribo or gfamily bag of cherry vimto bonbons.
Trickier changes will be switching out their favourite cereal (Kelloggs Frozen, Star Wars or Avengers cereal) for something better/healthier. I may search pinterest for interesting healthy breakfast ideas. Switching out their treat snacks which would normally be either a mini pack of oreos or similar, cereal bar, frubes yoghurt tube etc for something better. Or should I keep them just for treats? Once in a while won't hurt them. The yoghurt tubes I don't really mind, well, I might look for a lower sugar one perhaps. They do eat lots of fruit so they don't only eat these sugary treats although they do have one a day, every day. Sometimes more if it's a weekend depending on where we are as we may get them an ice cream or dessert in a restaurant etc.

Well that was a bit long! Sorry about that.
Bottom line is there are changes to be made but exciting things on the horizon.
I can do this. We can do this.

Much love to all of you,
Kaye xxx

Last edited:
Forgot to add, we did discuss the Tier 1 programme a little too. A very little.

He said I will get my invitation in the post! And that was it haha.
I was a little nervous to see that on the letter is very clearly says: "physical activity mandatory during this course." Its even highlighed in bright yellow.
Gah, they'll see I'm not lying then when I told him I can't breathe!!

:)

That was so heartfelt written . It can be so liberating to admit to it all and write it down in something our eyes can see instead of just a feeling that can be buried ..
You are of course doing the absolute right thing . I applaud you .
Xxxx

Thank you @countrywench. <hugs>
I am more sure than ever now that this is the absolute most certain right thing for me. I was sure before but he cemented all of my thoughts about it yesterday. My daughter simply cannot grow up hating her body like I have. I won't allow it. I need to make her see that she is utterly perfect and absolutely proportionate for her age. My heart cracked a little when she said she needed to lose the 5lbs she'd put on. :(:oops: I will be having a girly chat with her this weekend and we'll discuss everything. She's of an age now where I need to be letting her know about upcoming changes she will experience in the next few years anyway, her weight will most certainly be on her mind as she progresses through high school. Although she only starts high school in September I figure she's going to overhear conversations from older girls. I need to get to her first so she has a clear understanding of how happiness is achieved, and it isn't through diets. That's a one way street to a lifetime of misery for some people, I count myself loosely in there. I no longer feel like I have a life sentence in a huge body though, nor do I feel like a death sentence is hanging over me.

My daughter and my whole family will see me happy.
I know that's all they want for me.
And I've noticed as well, my nerves and fear of being placed under a general anaesthetic have lifted also. For now anyway. The consultant really did put me at ease. I know those nerves will come back eventually, that's normal right? But for now it's just nice knowing that I'll be putting my old life to bed and waking up to a second chance.

It feels really good having somewhere to write all this down.
Thank you for reading and commenting.

Love always,
Kaye xxx

Good afternoon sweeties :) <waves>

Hope everyone had a great weekend, was good weather wasn't it! :D
I'm hoping for the same this weekend too, really wanting to crack the barbecue out.

I have been taking on board what the consultant said and we have been increasing our veggie intake. Some foods are hard to put vegetables with, like pasta bake, which we eat a lot of - it's one of the few things all my children like. My youngest who is almost 6 is so incredibly fussy. Will not eat vegetables full stop! Not even potatoes. Not even chips! :eek: He eats well though, adores scrambled eggs and plenty of fish. I'm hoping it's a phase but it's a bloody long one. When he was weaning he ate whatever I gave him, as soon as he was old enough to throw it away he did, and has ever since.
His older brother is almost 10 and is practically the same just a little better. He will eat mushy peas and potatoes.
Like I said, not much better. :rolleyes:

I've been overloading on homemade vegetable soup, I made a big batch and have been taking tubs to work. I'm all out of it now so I'll need to go shopping for more ingredients. Good news is, I've lost 2lbs since Saturday! I'm super happy with that.

Feeling really confident that I can lose the 5% or more that the consultant needs me to. :)

Have happy days folks xxx

Good morning everyone!

I really must apologise for my absence, I'm sorry. It has been a crazy but wonderful few weeks.

I have probably mentioned this in earlier posts but we went to Florida on 31st May for a couple weeks. O. M. G. I have serious holiday blues because I want to go back so so much. The whole place is so wonderful. You are probably aware of some not so wonderful events that happened there, that was terrifying. The shooting in the nightclub happened the same night we were at a hospital in Celebration, Orlando (5yr old bumped his head, glue needed). We didn't realise anything had happened until the morning and realised victims were likely about to be brought to the hospital about 30 minutes after we left. Absolutely devastating tragedy. Before that there was a singer shot in Orlando, Christine Grimmie. Again, so so sad.

And as we were flying home, that poor little boy in the gator attack. :( There are no words I can offer. I have seen plenty of judgement being passed elsewhere on the internet but I just can't imagine what those parents are going through. It's your own personal hell - my absolute worst nightmare. Losing a child is not something they will recover from, they will be tortured by "if only's" for the rest of their lives. They need support, not criticism.

So much sadness. Land of the free they say but perhaps it is a little too free. Guns are so easily obtained, surely more could be done to reduce gun crime in the USA? I have no desire to start a debate, it was just so desperately sad. All those people.

Anyway, onto lighter things, lighter being the highlighted word there. After a fortnight of eating basically whatever I wanted - naughty I know - I came back lighter than I went. 5lbs lighter. It's not much but considering our diet was pretty much burgers, pizza and fried chicken etc, I'll take it. All the walking clearly balanced it out so I'm left thinking, if I had searched harder for a healthy alternative, what would I have lost? Healthy options in Walt Disney World and Universal Studios were hard to cone by though. I ate much better when we out for our evening meal, usually a buffet, so I could choose baked potatoes and salads. It was a fantastic holiday all in all and I am looking forward to returning post-op in a few years and I'm already saving. I have $2 leftover from the holiday, won't get us much!! Haha.

And hopefully, in a few years our newly independent country will have recovered and stabilised.

Have a good day everyone. I'm off back to bed for a nap. Snoooooooze.

Well done on your loss. I'm glad despite the recent awful events you enjoyed your holiday x

@FeeHutch It was absolutely amazing and magical. I was too chunky for some of the rides at Universal Studios so it will be nice to experience those when I've shrunk a bit. Disney World is incredible, I would return year after year if I could afford it. :) x

Good morning wls friends :)

I hope you're all well and life is bright for you all.

I have received my invite to the Tier 1 course now, it's to begin on 12th July in the evening, there is a meeting and also some physical exercise expectations of me. I'm very nervous. I'm also very disappointed in myself as I have put the 5lbs back on. I'm not really surprised as it was both my boys birthdays at the weekend and we indulged a little in birthday cake and ice-cream. Food wise I didn't think I'd been that bad, I get plenty of vegetables and cook everything from scratch when I'm at home, I eat a lot of chicken. If I'm out I try to make good choices but will occasionally steal a salty chip if my kids are having McD's (a rare occurrence). Can it be just the bit of cake/party food/ice-cream at the weekend that's caused my weight gain?
I need to get my head in the game, I don't want to let my consultant down. I've promised that I will lose 5% of my body weight, and I will. It just seems, at the moment anyway, a little difficult. I'm trying not to get into the ever so familiar "I'm going to fail" frame of mind because that is of no use to anyone.

The changes that we said we were implementing have gone down so well so far. We have stopped excessive portions of fruit and have cut down hugely on our stock of sugary treats in the kitchen cupboard. We now have chocolate rice cakes in place of biscuits/chocolate, savoury flavoured rice crackers in place of crisps and we make/bake healthy snacks using recipes from Pinterest. It's not a diet as the kids still view these as treats I guess, it's not been a bad transition.

I'm feeling a bit glum today, perhaps a bit defeated. I wish I had the funds to book privately so I could set the date and have that to count down to. Unfortunately there are too many demands for my disposable income right now - new school uniforms being right up there at the top of the list at the moment. I just want my healthy life back from all those years ago, life is a bit of a rut now. I function but don't really live, like permanent autopilot.

And on that note, I shall go back to bed for my catch up nap after last nights late shift.
Have a peaceful day everyone xx
Kaye

I have to agree with starryeyed re thw small weight gain I keep losing/gaining the same 4 lbs for the longest time ! But you recongise what you did and can now correct yourself and try to do better
I wish you luck

It's hard for us @KayloDee , the weight gains happen even after surgery :mad:, you just have to keep at it, keep trying and never give up! All the best.

You sound like you're doing really food wise and getting everyone involved. X

Thank you everyone, you really made me feel better :)

Well my Tier 1 was supposed to be tonight, went to drop the kids off at their Grandparents and they weren't in. We waited for 35 minutes before I actually had to leave or risk being late to the meeting. I ended up taking the kids with me but obviously I wasn't allowed to participate because children are not allowed. I hope this isn't held against me as I had no other option. I don't know whether the grandparents just forgot or were held up somewhere - my phone is currently away for repair so had no means of contacting them either which just adds to the frustration.

So once again, I'm feeling a bit defeated but not so much as last week. I won't stay down this time, instead I'll focus on what I should be doing, which is moving more and eating better. I hope I didn't miss too much tonight.

Thank you again girls, really appreciate your support xxx

You did your best to get there so hopefully they'll see that. I hope the grandparents are OK x

Back