• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My story so far... (finally got my date!!)

That’s just fantastic Victoria it’s justvwhat is needed to keep your spirits up, hope you soon get some relief with the bathroom problem xxx

Thank you everyone :D i was so pleased! I feel like i'm getting into the swing of things now. It's weird now that the pain has gone.. it almost feels like i havent had anything done at all and that nothing has really changed

Hi @_Victoria_
Great weight loss, I know the feeling of having had nothing done, then I do something wrong and my body reacts. It is a learning curve.

Thank you :D How have you been coping with it so far, @Ian2Big? How long do you have to be on each food stage before you can move on to the next one? Which one are you on now?

just been catching up as havent been on for a while....(well the day before your op just got to wish you good luck) and now I'm reading how well your feeling Congratulations on reaching the losers bench, I'm so pleased its all gone good for you, and the weight loss has begun. just in time for summer... how are you finding it now can you get the amount down that you should be yet... can I ask something about when you have the op, I have to take 4 tablets a day at intervals for RLS (restless leg syndrome) if I dont its awful i would be climbing the walls .. well if i could lol, just wondering what would happen.. still i dont suppose you would know unless you have to take tablets bit of a silly question, I will have to ask when I eventually get a date...I hope its not too much longer.. anyway so plzd its gone well with you I will be following those weight losses, keep well x

Aw thanks Cat! :) I still can't get in as much as i'm supposed to but i'm getting closer with the water for sure. I was taking such small sips at first 'cause i was scared of getting sick but now i have realised i can take quite a big mouthful and still be okay so i've chilled a bit and its made it easier to get more in over the day. Liquids is hard. I'm feeling really weak the last few days.. getting my protein shake in is tough and i feel like anything i'm drinking now is a struggle to swallow so having to force myself to do it kind of sucks. I'm starting the puree stage tomorrow and can't wait. I'm still recovering though so i suppose i should expect to feel tired and im probably getting in less than 300 calories a day so that makes it worse.
Weight loss is good so far though a stone and a half now in 2 weeks :D

Aw thanks Cat! :) I still can't get in as much as i'm supposed to but i'm getting closer with the water for sure. I was taking such small sips at first 'cause i was scared of getting sick but now i have realised i can take quite a big mouthful and still be okay so i've chilled a bit and its made it easier to get more in over the day. Liquids is hard. I'm feeling really weak the last few days.. getting my protein shake in is tough and i feel like anything i'm drinking now is a struggle to swallow so having to force myself to do it kind of sucks. I'm starting the puree stage tomorrow and can't wait. I'm still recovering though so i suppose i should expect to feel tired and im probably getting in less than 300 calories a day so that makes it worse.

I can remember taking the smallest of sips when I was newly post op, I was so scared. It’s funny now cause even though I can’t guzzle a drink, I take huge mouthfuls and don’t take breaks in between and it’s absolutely fine. You will get there! Fantastic weight loss too! :)

Well done on weight loss xx

Congrats on the weight loss. You sound like you’re doing well. Just be careful with purée. If you’re struggling with liquid, I imagine you will find purée even tougher. I am fine with liquids but struggled going onto purée (initially) and still not got to grips with soft food. I suppose it all just takes time and some of us need longer than others to move through the stages. It might be better to get more liquid down before moving on. I’m sure your dietician will advise.

brilliant weight loss victoria, thats what you wanted to see... sounds like you struggling a little with you intake, hopefully it will soon get easier for you, bet it makes you smile though when you get on the scales ..xxx

I can remember taking the smallest of sips when I was newly post op, I was so scared. It’s funny now cause even though I can’t guzzle a drink, I take huge mouthfuls and don’t take breaks in between and it’s absolutely fine. You will get there! Fantastic weight loss too! :)

Exactly this! I've been so cautious with everything so at first i was sipping just enough to wet my lips but now i can take big mouthfuls and feel fine. I still haven't tried it with no breaks though. It's weird because all NAS squash i drink seems to taste powdery and that's a bit off putting but just having water all the time starts feeling like a chore.

Well done on weight loss xx

Thank you Maria! :) Xx

Congrats on the weight loss. You sound like you’re doing well. Just be careful with purée. If you’re struggling with liquid, I imagine you will find purée even tougher. I am fine with liquids but struggled going onto purée (initially) and still not got to grips with soft food. I suppose it all just takes time and some of us need longer than others to move through the stages. It might be better to get more liquid down before moving on. I’m sure your dietician will advise.

Thanks Missy :) I've done fine with them so far but haven't really ventured past mashed potato, soup and weetabix. I only have to do pureed for a week so i start on the soft stage tomorrow. Although i'm not struggling to keep them down at all i know i haven't been getting enough in still. It says to have 5 meals a day of up to 6 tablespoons and i've been having 3 meals maximum (only managed this the last 2 days) And only 3 tablespoons maximum (and i only did that with one meal yesterday). I think most of that is on me though. I'm really taking my time with everything while it's so new. Mostly because i'm nervous about messing everything up.. So i think the more and more i get used to things the better i will be with intake. I'm just trying to make sure i don't push my limits

brilliant weight loss victoria, thats what you wanted to see... sounds like you struggling a little with you intake, hopefully it will soon get easier for you, bet it makes you smile though when you get on the scales ..xxx

Thanks Cat :D yeah i'm sure it will get better the longer it goes on it's just a case of me getting more confident with it i think. I've managed to keep everything down and haven't had any "dumping" episodes so that's a good sign i think.

Hi Victoria, I had he bypass the same as u and I'm still on the liquid stage until this coming Thursday.
How long ago did u have your opp? As I'm 12 days post opp. I'm worried about taking on puree and it being too soon also XX

I’m on week 8 (almost 9) and still only eating 3 meals (if that). I have tried more since my discussion with the dietician about my struggles with the soft food stage. I’m supposed to be on solids now but only just mastering soft food. I will move on when I feel ready. I don’t eat 6 tablespoons either. Everyone is different. I think the dietician was right though with aiming to eat frequently so the oesophagus doesn’t feel stressed. It seems to be helping me. You will get there just move along at your own pace. The guidance is just a general rule of thumb, so listen to your body and move on when it’s ready.[/QUOTE]

Hi Victoria, I had he bypass the same as u and I'm still on the liquid stage until this coming Thursday.
How long ago did u have your opp? As I'm 12 days post opp. I'm worried about taking on puree and it being too soon also XX

Hi Caroline! Congratulations on getting your surgery. How are you feeling so far? I had my surgery on January 29th. I had to do 2 weeks on liquids, one week on puree and now i'm on a week of soft foods. I had beans on toast this morning it was AMAZING lol Everything seems to settle fine so far. I think as long as you take eating things slowly and don't eat anything with too much fat or sugar then you should be okay

I’m on week 8 (almost 9) and still only eating 3 meals (if that). I have tried more since my discussion with the dietician about my struggles with the soft food stage. I’m supposed to be on solids now but only just mastering soft food. I will move on when I feel ready. I don’t eat 6 tablespoons either. Everyone is different. I think the dietician was right though with aiming to eat frequently so the oesophagus doesn’t feel stressed. It seems to be helping me. You will get there just move along at your own pace. The guidance is just a general rule of thumb, so listen to your body and move on when it’s ready.

Will do! I've been taking things really slowly and that seems to be working okay. Its nice being on the soft stage because you actually have to chew. In the booklet i have they say to try to only swallow once a minute and don't eat for longer than 20 minutes.. I have been doing this since the liquid phase (when i was "eating" soup) and it was strange then to wait a whole minute before you had to swallow the next spoonful. But now I have to chew for so long i feel a bit more normal.. like i dont have to wait so long for the next spoonful. Gives me hope for the future that i wont look like a complete weirdo if i'm eating out in public.

Hey everyone :D I hope everyone is doing okay. I've been a bit down the last few days.. I had my first day of slightly regretting surgery yesterday. I had the worst trapped wind i've ever had and it was all night and all day and nothing would get rid of it. My chest and my back were hurting all day and even if i swallowed my own saliva it just felt like it was getting worse. Then to top it off i broke out in hives so i was super itchy all day and don't know what caused it. I googled it and apparently it's common for people to have hive breakouts for 6 months or so after surgery. IT'S HORRIBLE!! But thankfully today when i woke up the wind pain had eased and i took some childrens Benadryl and that seems to have stopped the itching so hopefully i'm back on the mend. I weighed myself today too and lost another 3lb so that definitely put me back in the "i made the right choice" mind set. I have lost almost 2 stone now in under a month.
I'm still not getting in enough fluid and not eating as much or as often as they suggest in my booklet but everything i do eat seems to go down and settle fine. I havent had any dumping episodes or stuck food feelings so that gives me some hope that at least im doing something right. I start solid/normal food on tuesday and i'm really excited about it. Not really for the food but just because i feel like that will be the start of the rest of my life.

Hey everyone :D I hope everyone is doing okay. I've been a bit down the last few days.. I had my first day of slightly regretting surgery yesterday. I had the worst trapped wind i've ever had and it was all night and all day and nothing would get rid of it. My chest and my back were hurting all day and even if i swallowed my own saliva it just felt like it was getting worse. Then to top it off i broke out in hives so i was super itchy all day and don't know what caused it. I googled it and apparently it's common for people to have hive breakouts for 6 months or so after surgery. IT'S HORRIBLE!! But thankfully today when i woke up the wind pain had eased and i took some childrens Benadryl and that seems to have stopped the itching so hopefully i'm back on the mend. I weighed myself today too and lost another 3lb so that definitely put me back in the "i made the right choice" mind set. I have lost almost 2 stone now in under a month.
I'm still not getting in enough fluid and not eating as much or as often as they suggest in my booklet but everything i do eat seems to go down and settle fine. I havent had any dumping episodes or stuck food feelings so that gives me some hope that at least im doing something right. I start solid/normal food on tuesday and i'm really excited about it. Not really for the food but just because i feel like that will be the start of the rest of my life.
Well done on the fab weight loss. Sorry you have felt unwell and keep up the good work x

Sounds like you’re doing great. I’ve used Deflatine the odd time I’ve had trapped wind. I’m sure you probably tried these or something similar. Hope it’s all settled.

You are doing amazing.
Well done 3lb is really a really good achievement I can only hope tat one day I can be like you. x

Congratulations on the weight loss and for recognizing that your feelings of regret would come and pass. It is such an emotional rollercoaster. You are doing so well.

Anything you could think of doing to increase your fluid intake? Do you have a bottle to carry around with you to keep sipping?

Back